Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

vOv posted:

i was kind of expecting it'd be a dating sim where you date actual tanks like that one pigeon game but nope

pete - founder and sole engineer
jeff - pete's son, offers feedback advisor
don - pete's pastor spiritual advisor
glenn - graphics guy, best on CL
frank, walt, richard, bert, dale - various lawyers pete has talked to over the years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

vOv posted:

i was kind of expecting it'd be a dating sim where you date actual tanks like that one pigeon game but nope

whoah, they revived leslie nielsen??

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

tanku onna no ko

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
http://techcrunch.com/2015/06/02/hidrateme-is-a-connected-water-bottle-that-will-glow-when-you-need-to-take-a-sip/

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

don't you get most of the water you need through food anyway

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:
why are there so many apps obsessed with "drinking enough water." on what planet are people constantly falling over from accidental dehydration

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:
i guess at some point, someone misinterpreted "humans intake the equivalent of 8 glasses of water per day" as "you need to DRINK 8 GLASSES OF WATER EVERY DAY or you'll DIE" and now millions of americans are living in mortal terror of drinking 7 glasses instead of 8 before the clock runs out, so much that kickstarter has special devices devoted to managing this fear

you'd think one day someone would wake up and realize "hmm... i didn't drink my required 8 glasses yesterday... but i didn't die in my sleep... perhaps this isnt such a hard and fast biotruth after all"

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

pretty much. if you need more water you/your doctor will sort of notice

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Nagato posted:

why are there so many apps obsessed with "drinking enough water." on what planet are people constantly falling over from accidental dehydration

seriouspost: in the 90s some sports medicine research showed that athletes performed significantly worse if they were even a tiny bit dehydrated. this lead to people carrying around Nalgene bottles of water and chugging it all day every day. a secondary effect was that lots of women developed problems with incontinence, because they were drinking drat too much water.

it's still valid for athletes, but it you aren't expected to perform at your physical peak, just drink water when you actually feel thirsty.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

people think they need to carry two litres of water with them every time they leave the house. because walking to your car is exactly the same as walking 10 miles across the tundra right?

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

Sweevo posted:

people think they need to carry two litres of water with them every time they leave the house. because walking to your car is exactly the same as walking 10 miles across the tundra right?

but then other people that are actually walking across a country thing a pram full of peperami is ok

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

axolotl farmer posted:

it's still valid for athletes, but it you aren't expected to perform at your physical peak, just drink water when you actually feel thirsty.

note: if you're hiking you should definitely drink water before you're thirsty because you're probably more dehydrated than you think

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
sounds like that smart bottle is aimed for those who need reminding to drink water regularly. but if the bottle isn't in some anime babe shape, a sports car or maybe mines bitcoins, it's going to miss an important segment of their idiot clientele

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

BeOSPOS posted:

sounds like that smart bottle is aimed for those who need reminding to drink water regularly. but if the bottle isn't in some anime babe shape, a sports car or maybe mines bitcoins, it's going to miss an important segment of their idiot clientele

what if it purified the water by the waste heat of mining bitcoins? maybe a car model that does dogecoins for the cobranding opportunities with nascar

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

axolotl farmer posted:

seriouspost: in the 90s some sports medicine research showed that athletes performed significantly worse if they were even a tiny bit dehydrated. this lead to people carrying around Nalgene bottles of water and chugging it all day every day. a secondary effect was that lots of women developed problems with incontinence, because they were drinking drat too much water.

this was about the same time that electrolytes hit the mainstream and everyone started thinking that if they do anything more physically demanding than walking to the refrigerator they need to be downing 200cal of gatorade.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Virion posted:

what if it purified the water by the waste heat of mining bitcoins? maybe a car model that does dogecoins for the cobranding opportunities with nascar

now that's what I call agua dulce!

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

this was about the same time that electrolytes hit the mainstream and everyone started thinking that if they do anything more physically demanding than walking to the refrigerator they need to be downing 200cal of gatorade.

Gatorade used to be worth a drat before they figured out they'd sell a lot more if they knocked the sodium back and add more sugar and keep playing to that sports performance angle.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Gatorade used to be worth a drat before they figured out they'd sell a lot more if they knocked the sodium back and add more sugar and keep playing to that sports performance angle.

but sugar quenches fatigue

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

it gives you the va-va-voom you need for all those exercises.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

sugar is really good for you if you are actively doing things.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Bloody posted:

sugar is really good for you if you are actively doing things.

look at this loving chump who doesn't know about the keto diet

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
the ketamine diet

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

keto diets are cool if you have epilepsy

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
they suck if you have diabetes.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

actually, the keto diet cures diabetes, and most allergies, and probably cancer

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

only if you do locavore paleoketo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i heard eating only pomegranates and pocky cures cancer

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

I herd about ur moms diet

100% chugging dongs

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Bloody posted:

only if you do locavore paleoketo

while blasting those wods at ur crossfit box

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
as a big supporter of bisphenol i'm happy people drink lots of water

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

re water: lol that you gotta chlorinate your water so badly in america

kierrie
Jun 7, 2010

computer parts posted:

note: if you're hiking you should definitely drink water before you're thirsty because you're probably more dehydrated than you think

axolotl farmer posted:

Both of these views are wrong and and I'm pretty sure no sports scientist worth a drat advocates this anymore. Athletes actually perform better when mildly dehydrated.

Drink when you're thirsty. Listen to your body, not a loving bottle.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

kierrie posted:

Both of these views are wrong and and I'm pretty sure no sports scientist worth a drat advocates this anymore. Athletes actually perform better when mildly dehydrated.

counterpoint: https://twitter.com/crushingbort/status/477507715711791104

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
listen to your body but also if you're thirsty and you're drinking water you might also be hungry or low on salt so add those things to your list of things to worry about

or drink nothing but salted caramel coffee

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

fuckin salted caramel, I can't get anything with caramel in it anymore without it tasting like the loving dead sea

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/707808908/gosun-grill-a-break-through-solar-oven-that-cooks

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-gobq-grill-redefining-portability#/story

One actually seems legitimately cool, the other looks like a gigantic waste of money.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

i cannot imagine the solar one working well. the other one is kinda silly but probably a good application of materials

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

solar cookers work fine in general, they're slow cookers though. the battery would just be to maintain a temperature after its had hours and hours in the sun so it doesn't sound too insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

kierrie posted:

• Locked thread