Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Biomute posted:

I'd like to think there's more to all of this then just hitting an IBU target while maintaining a certain proportion of late hops since so many seem to think there is, but I'm having doubts. Anyone have any thoughts, or better yet, know of a good resource where some facts might be found?

Homebrewing is full of repeated myths. I love playing around with my hop schedule and it seems like every little variation makes a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I learned on a counterflow chiller and think it spoiled me. I couldn't imagine using any other type.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I've dumped ice into mine

The most risky of beer making techniques that nobody should do unless you're making your own ice
Nah man, you just have to pasteurize the ice first

Biomute posted:

I've never seen a comprehensive answer for why hop additions are the way they are. It seems like the only substantiated knowledge we have is that the longer the hops are boiled the more bitterness is extracted and the less aromatic oils remain in the beer. Clearly, aroma additions, and even dry-hop imparts flavor, so what are "flavor additions" good for exactly? Plenty of popular hoppy beers do well without them. I've heard people say multiple additions impart complexity to the hop flavor, but there only seems to be anecdotal evidence for this, with other anecdotal evidence to disprove it.

Why did we settle on 15 minutes as the ideal time for a flavor addition, and why do some people use 20 or 10 minutes instead? Are they simply playing with their timing to get a nice round IBU number to put on their label, or are there actual differences in the flavor of the finished product? If so, what are they?

Are 30 minute additions the waste a lot of people seem to think they are? There appears to be more acceptance for it in some styles (German Pilsner for example) than there is in others (India Pale Ale). Why is this?

What's the difference between adding aroma hops at 5, 1 or 0 minutes? From what I know of the boiling point of the oils in hops anything but a 0 min addition is going to result in less aroma, yet people persist in adding at 5 or 1 minute. It's not like the bittering of these additions is going to do much so I'm having a hard time seeing the point. I've heard all kinds of theories like "it boils off some of the more harsh aspects of the hop aroma", "it seals in the aroma and flavor so it's not lost within days of bottling" and "it releases the aroma into the beer, like toasting spices before adding them to the dish". Clearly some of these are contradictory.

I'd like to think there's more to all of this then just hitting an IBU target while maintaining a certain proportion of late hops since so many seem to think there is, but I'm having doubts. Anyone have any thoughts, or better yet, know of a good resource where some facts might be found?

As long as you are still boiling, the difference between any one time and a few minutes from that time is going to be minimal. The perception with flameout (0 min) hops is that the beer basically won't be boiling, so the lower temperature means the extraction is different. Most of the 20 vs 15 vs 10 minute timing things come from what people are used to seeing in recipes. I like to do 10 minutes because I add the hops, Servomyces, whirlfloc, and chiller at the same time.

There is no "sealing in". Different compounds in the hops are extracted at different temperatures, that's it, and you extract more, to a limit, based on how long it is at that temperature.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Glottis posted:

I like to do 10 minutes because I add the hops, Servomyces, whirlfloc, and chiller at the same time.

You're pitching at 10min? :wtf:

Also, if you really want to get wacky, figure out what FWH does and why/how it's different.

ChickenArise fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 1, 2015

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

ChickenArise posted:

Also, if you really want to get wacky, figure out what FWH does and why/how it's different.

At least there we have something resembling a study showing there *is* a difference.

edit:

Glottis posted:

There is no "sealing in". Different compounds in the hops are extracted at different temperatures, that's it, and you extract more, to a limit, based on how long it is at that temperature.

Yeah, I know. My point was that people make up all kinds of rationalizations for what they do, with little to back it up with. By the way, what do you mean by extracted? Are you claiming the act of boiling the hops releases new/more flavor compounds over time? What little I have found in the way of papers on the subject indicate that even flavor compounds with high boiling points such as linalool are more likely to make it into the final beer the later it is added to the boil (whirlpool steep being the best). I guess the more I look at it the more it seems like a bittering step, a whirlpool and optionally dry-hopping is the way to go, but even that is only based on anecdotal evidence and a few scattered papers. I wish there was more science to it.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 1, 2015

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

ChickenArise posted:

Pitching? Servomyces ! = Saccahromyces. Or am I missing something?

Biomute posted:

At least there we have something resembling a study showing there *is* a difference.

edit:

Yeah, I know. My point was that people make up all kinds of rationalizations for what they do, with little to back it up with. By the way, what do you mean by extracted? Are you claiming the act of boiling the hops releases new/more flavor compounds over time? What little I have found in the way of papers on the subject indicate that even flavor compounds with high boiling points such as linalool are more likely to make it into the final beer the later it is added to the boil (whirlpool steep being the best). I guess the more I look at it the more it seems like a bittering step, a whirlpool and optionally dry-hopping is the way to go, but even that is only based on anecdotal evidence and a few scattered papers. I wish there was more science to it.

I think the science is out there, it's just harder to find. For the record, I have made beers that were from solely a single bittering addition and then whirlpool additions only, which were good. As stupid as this sounds, sometimes I want more crisp hop bitterness without as much hop flavor as you'd get from only whirlpool additions, and a mid-boil addition kind of modulates that.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Ohhh I misread

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

yamdankee posted:

What do you guys do to cool down the wort quickly? I made as much ice as I could this last time and filled my sink with cold water and the ice, and it only took it from like 200 to 180. Should I buy bags of ice and fill the sink with only ice? Better way than that?

my immersion chiller (which I built for about $50 or so) takes my wort from post boil ~210*F or so to 65-70*F in about 20-30 mins depending on the season. You can definitely buy one on Amazon if you'd rather not make one, which, in retrospect, I would have done too.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Speaking of chillers, Adventures in Homebrewing has their "economy" chiller on sale for $35 at the moment. Apparently the only thing that makes it "economy" is that the hoses and fittings are attached via clamps, rather than being compression/solder fittings.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Fwiw I do no boil additions for my hops, purely FWH and whirlpool additions. I often chill down to 85c and add my whirlpool hops then. Makes some pretty amazing hoppy beers.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
If you don't like clamp fittings for the chiller, it's easy to solder on short extensions so that the likely failure/leak point is both outside your kettle and has no risk of running "downhill" into your beer.

protip: Extra-delicate with this modification, don't drop it and collapse one of the arms, like I did while taking this photo!

I also built a secondary chiller, about half the size of the one in the photo, which sits in an ice water bath before feeding the main chiller. The combo is pretty effective.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
If you're competent with soldering, you could also just abandon the clamps and solder on some fittings, no?

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Scarf posted:

If you're competent with soldering, you could also just abandon the clamps and solder on some fittings, no?

'swhat I did. Worked great, even though my skill at soldering is not really huge. Sweat fittings are not terribly hard to do if you follow the steps well, and they're not very expensive, either.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

Scarf posted:

Probably! But I originally did that while fighting with a leaking clamp and using only what the store down the street had available. At least I thought to leak check it before using it for real.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

yamdankee posted:

What do you guys do to cool down the wort quickly? I made as much ice as I could this last time and filled my sink with cold water and the ice, and it only took it from like 200 to 180. Should I buy bags of ice and fill the sink with only ice? Better way than that?

Immersion chiller. Temps drop like the bass at a dubstep.. uhhhh... event. I got mine on sale for like $50. My cooling went from a 1h45 min ice bath to 10 mins + some chilled top off water. But then again I make stuff where ferm temps can vary pretty wildly and not affect the overall out come. The old Belgian "set it and forget it" method works pretty well now that my land lords have the AC on. My place is like a constant 16-18C .

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
It happened last night:

For a completely unknown reason, 10-12 bottles blew up in my closet. I'm the dummy who doesn't condition in plastic tubs (will be fixing that tonight). Most of that beer had been sitting for almost 9 months, and it picked last night to blow up?

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

So we're moving house this weekend and..

I scored a full under-house area for the brewery :D it's a 2 story joint, 4 bed, I got a monster bedroom like 5x4 metres, with built ins, and downstairs has a single bay lockable shed, but also is fully enclosed with inside padlocked doors, and power. So the fridges have been allocated an area, there's built in timber storage shelves (big enough to hold my grain containers!), a water supply and triple sink. The only downside is the sink not being big enough to hold my vessel but hey, I have way more storage space. Just gotta share it with the dogs! Photos to come when it's set up

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
9 months??? I thought you couldn't let beer sit that long unless it was pasteurized?

Also, thanks guys for the immersion chiller recommendation. I think I'll be going with this (love prime), and a faucet adapter (my sink faucet is super high pressure).

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

yamdankee posted:

9 months??? I thought you couldn't let beer sit that long unless it was pasteurized?

I don't actually know the answer to that. The beer in question was one of my first batches and it wasn't very good - I wasn't terribly excited about drinking it and thought I'd leave it and see if it got better.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

yamdankee posted:

I think >50% of my beer is older than 9 months. Got to age them sours, son.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

yamdankee posted:

If your sanitation is good, yeah you can let it sit that long. I'm guessing robotsinmyhead had a minor infection that was slowly building up pressure over months. For sour beers, you can let them sit as long as you want, but the important thing is that there is basically nothing left for even an (additional) infection to eat so it can't build up an excessive amount of pressure.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Even some non-sour beers are good for a few years. I've had Imperial Stouts age well for 15 months or so before they ran dry - coulda gone longer, but it was just so drat good. I have some quad in bottles in my garage now that's several years old.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

Scarf posted:

Speaking of chillers, Adventures in Homebrewing has their "economy" chiller on sale for $35 at the moment. Apparently the only thing that makes it "economy" is that the hoses and fittings are attached via clamps, rather than being compression/solder fittings.

Don't need another chiller, since I have a 25 foot one, but at that price it's real tempting to buy another one to make as a "pre-chiller" stuck in an ice bath, before it goes through the hot wort.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Scarf posted:

I feel so spoiled that AiH is my LHBS. I'm making their Oberon clone for my next batch, probably this weekend.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

Nth Doctor posted:

I feel so spoiled that AiH is my LHBS. I'm making their Oberon clone for my next batch, probably this weekend.

I'd be happy with any lhbs. Living 100+ miles from Austin/Houston for your lhbs sucks.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Anyone know how quickly Yeast Bay ships put usually? I placed an order yesterday morning hoping to get it for brewing this weekend. I'm assuming they ship 2 day priority mail so as long as it ships tomorrow I'm ok.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

rockcity posted:

Anyone know how quickly Yeast Bay ships put usually? I placed an order yesterday morning hoping to get it for brewing this weekend. I'm assuming they ship 2 day priority mail so as long as it ships tomorrow I'm ok.

I can get week old Yeast Bay in Australia via Vyrkuza so if you're in the states I would bet it would be pretty fresh

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

McSpergin posted:

I can get week old Yeast Bay in Australia via Vyrkuza so if you're in the states I would bet it would be pretty fresh

I'm not worried it won't be fresh, I'm just worried I won't have it for my planned brew day this Sunday. I should have ordered it last Friday to make sure it shipped this week, but it slipped my mind.

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more

McSpergin posted:

Ooh, I'm in the market for a 14 gal chronical Vyrkuza. Goon discount? :homebrew:

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

robotsinmyhead posted:

It happened last night:

For a completely unknown reason, 10-12 bottles blew up in my closet. I'm the dummy who doesn't condition in plastic tubs (will be fixing that tonight). Most of that beer had been sitting for almost 9 months, and it picked last night to blow up?

Sometimes all it takes is for room temperature to go up a few degrees if the bottles were overcarbed due to priming error or minor infection. I haven't had bombs but I have noticed a few yeasts (British ones like the Whitbread strains especially) like to wake up in the bottle and attenuate more than I thought they would.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
What are yalls thoughts on Czech Saaz vs. US Saaz? I've heard that the US version is a bit harsher.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
I gotta assume my explosions were heat related. It took some time, but it finally turned into summer in Indiana. My interior closets are pretty awesome for ale fermenting (63ish) and I condition in another space that's a bit warmer, but we've had the windows open and it's gotten up around 70 for a while.

I don't know where I'm going to ferment all summer :(

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Looks like it's time to invest in a freezer! :homebrew:

Edit: Monday the contents of my bottles of my first brew should be ready to consume. Buuuuut a few friends are coming over this Friday. If I wanted to jump the gun and just taste one, would it be a waste and disappointment, or would it be close enough to done that it'd be ok to try?

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 3, 2015

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!
Hey everybody. Brewing a session IPA tomorrow for 4th of July weekend. How's my recipe look?

Mashing @ 155F
Fermenting at ~67 for 2 weeks, Dry hopping the last 4 days.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Exactly how much body/mouthfeel are you going for with all of that oat, carapils, and 155* mash?

If it were my recipe I'd get rid of the oats and dial back both the carapils and C30 to 0.75lb. I'd also move your 60 minute Amarillo to 10 or 0 minutes, and your 20 minute additions to 10 minutes.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jo3sh posted:

Even some non-sour beers are good for a few years. I've had Imperial Stouts age well for 15 months or so before they ran dry - coulda gone longer, but it was just so drat good. I have some quad in bottles in my garage now that's several years old.

I aged a terrible cider experimental for about 3 years in the bottles, it was better after letting it sit... Not enough fermentables and champagne yeast. It was terrible young.

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!
I was loosely basing the recipe off information I found for Founder's All Day IPA online. Apparently right from the horse's (Founder's Brewing) mouth.

quote:

My notes from Jeremy at NHC - 50% Rahr two row and 20% flaked oats. 5 other grains make up the remaining 30%, but all he noted was Simpsons crystal malt (no amount or color given) and carapils. Mash high.

All Amarillo and Simcoe hops including mash hop and FWH with Amarillo. No bittering addition - but there are 5 other additions starting at 30 min. Assumed that number also included at least one dry hop addition.

I agree that I am nervous with this ratio of crystal to base malt. I'd like to avoid the beer being watery so maybe I'm over compensating with the oats and crystal. Maybe I'm off base thinking low OG = watery beer but I've never (purposefully) made a beer this low in OG. The 60 minute Amarillo is a mash hop (not sure if you saw that, my apologies if you did). I do think the IBU's are a bit on the high side. Maybe I could swap the FWH/mash hops. Using the Simcoe as a mash hop and the Amarillo as a FWH (or maybe Amarillo for both as stated above) would drop the IBUs by a good chunk and get them more in line with what other home brewers are doing for session IPAs.

Der Penguingott
Dec 27, 2002

i'm a k1ck3n r4d d00d

ZIGfried posted:

Hey everybody. Brewing a session IPA tomorrow for 4th of July weekend. How's my recipe look?

Mashing @ 155F
Fermenting at ~67 for 2 weeks, Dry hopping the last 4 days.

I don't think that's way out of line with the grist, its 2 lbs of crystal, which is kind of high but not crazy. Same with the oatmeal, but I like full body, fairly sweet beers. You're not gonna get much of a contribution of flavor/sweetness from so little base malt, so you have to have something. You could add Munich or Vienna.

I might mash 152, but you probably wouldn't notice a difference with 155. I've screwed up my strike water and mashed at 160+ and nobody could tell...

Der Penguingott fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 3, 2015

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

rockcity posted:

They at least used to ship on a schedule. Something like every Tuesday they ship out all of their orders, and as long as you got the order in before that day it would ship that day. I'd just email them and ask when they will ship, if it's that time-sensitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

j3rkstore posted:

I'd also move your 60 minute Amarillo to 10 or 0 minutes, and your 20 minute additions to 10 minutes.

Don't listen to this man. Amarillo is a great bittering hop. I've had great success with it in the past in multiple brews. It holds up well as an early addition.