Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Dump_Stat posted:

What do I stick an Archon carrying a WW Portal with? I noticed Trueborne are min squad 5 now, so I can't load the Archy into a Venom with a few Blasterborne.

I heard he and a Raider with allied Wraithguard are nasty. I'd imagine Firedragons are the same.

I want to use him as a quick knock out punch unit.

I've got my list pretty well shored up, but I just have this Archon with the portal by himself and nothing I can think of sounds like a great fit.

Any other ideas?

Incubi are a pretty standard go-to unit for this. Or take a court of the archon and mix/match per your tastes.

Or go full waac and keep him solo in a venom, with a court in a venom, and min warriors in a venom and a trueborn squad in a venom and three to five venoms in fast attack slots and venoms and venoms and if you're feeling cheeky, a corpsethief detachment or whatever the 5x talos one was called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
One of the Forge World guys put up detail pictures of the new transfer sheets, I love the daemonic script on the Word Bearers sheet:

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jun 3, 2015

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dump_Stat posted:

What do I stick an Archon carrying a WW Portal with? I noticed Trueborne are min squad 5 now, so I can't load the Archy into a Venom with a few Blasterborne.

I heard he and a Raider with allied Wraithguard are nasty. I'd imagine Firedragons are the same.

I've got my list pretty well shored up, but I just have this Archon with the portal by himself and nothing I can think of sounds like a great fit.

Any other ideas?

Allied Eldar D-Scythe Wraithguard.

:colbert:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

TKIY posted:

Because we had it before and it does fit the fluff well. I'd take T5 on warriors for sure though, 3+ doesn't really seem like a huge boost, you still die to the same problematic weapons - lascannons, krack missiles and melta.

GW have spent the last few years making Eternal Warrior much harder to get, it's now pretty much only for unique special characters like Chapter Masters and Phoenix Lords, or as a rare buff via relics / psychic powers. I can't see them reverting that and letting us do it wholesale via synapse. I think the best we can hope for regarding EW is a bio-artefact to stick on a single Tyrant or Prime.

As far as Warriors go, it's generally pretty easy to get them at in at least 5+ cover thanks to the abundance of Shrouded. If an opponent wants to waste lascannons on Warriors rather than crucial MC's, I'm usually pretty happy to let them. It's not like Warriors do much damage to start with. Personally I tend to lose more Warriors/Shrikes to general weight of fire, thanks to their terrible armour saves. Getting 3+/4+ instead if 4+/5+ would make me so happy, and more inclined to run them without needing to sit in ruins all game.

I've always wondered how the Tyranid army would play if synapse creatures gave out creature-specific buffs via synapse.

Hive Tyrants could dish out Preferred Enemy,
Tervigons gave 6+ FNP,
Maleceptors provide Adamantium Will
Zoanthropes add Monster / Tank Hunter
Warriors add Precision Shots
Shrikes add Precision Strikes
Trygon Primes give Zealot
etc..

It would add a bit of depth to the army in terms of unit selection and what targets an opponent chooses to focus on. It's certainly more interesting than "lose synapse and your army eats itself"...

Hencoe posted:

Why not roll with a stonecrusher brood behind a gaunt wall with a malanthrope?

Standard flyrant, pair of malanthropes, 30 termagants with a tervigon for your two troops, 3 flail& frag spine crushers and a triplet of biovores puts you at 1355. Gives you some room for another unit of small dudes of whatever flavor, and can drop the second malanthrope if you feel necessary. I've had success with similar lists but your meta is probably different than mine.

I really love the idea of Stonecrushers and think they're awesome models, but I've never had much luck with them on the field against savvy opponents. The main issue is that they're just too slow. Even when dropped in a pod the lack of Fleet really hurts them, and most targets are able to move away pretty easily.

How do you get them into combat reliably?

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, but not as much as you might think. The GW ruins have a lot of windows and TLoS means you only need one.

Beyond that, though, letting vehicles drive all over difficult terrain further reduces the importance of tactical movement and positioning and makes skimmers less distinct. Who cares if skimmers can hop terrain when everything else can just drive through it with only a 1/36 chance of being immobilized (because everyone takes dozer blades and the like just because of that)?

Yeah that's true, although it usually provides a pretty huge cover save (4+ for touching the terrain, up to 2+ for being 25% obscured)

Up until recently my group had been treating ruin walls as impassable. We didn't even check the rules, it just made sense v:shobon:v

Boon posted:

Allied Eldar D-Scythe Wraithguard.

:colbert:

You can't stick wraithguard and an Archon in a raider. Wraithguard are bulky, and take up the entire transport capacity

Hixson fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 3, 2015

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
But you can put them in a wave serpent, yes?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Yes.

You could also just deep-strike them with another character (any Eldar HQ that leads the allied force is a good choice here) to ensure at least 4 of the 5 get their shots.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

:orks101:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Wait a minute...is this YOU? I saw this on Dakkadakka yesterday all painted up...

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

krushgroove posted:

Wait a minute...is this YOU? I saw this on Dakkadakka yesterday all painted up...

I wish.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Me too! I'd love to do the same thing, but it'd have to have a tiny MP3 player inside.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Dump_Stat posted:

Any other ideas?

On foot with wraithguard D-scythes by a mile. Toss the autarch you have to bring in that squad along with a couple scatter bike squads along with the corpseclaw formation. The claw holds the middle, the wraithguard pick up a key unit or two by themselves and the rest of your army darts around and torrents anything that threatens your hammer and anvil.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

xtothez posted:

GW have spent the last few years making Eternal Warrior much harder to get, it's now pretty much only for unique special characters like Chapter Masters and Phoenix Lords, or as a rare buff via relics / psychic powers. I can't see them reverting that and letting us do it wholesale via synapse. I think the best we can hope for regarding EW is a bio-artefact to stick on a single Tyrant or Prime.

As far as Warriors go, it's generally pretty easy to get them at in at least 5+ cover thanks to the abundance of Shrouded. If an opponent wants to waste lascannons on Warriors rather than crucial MC's, I'm usually pretty happy to let them. It's not like Warriors do much damage to start with. Personally I tend to lose more Warriors/Shrikes to general weight of fire, thanks to their terrible armour saves. Getting 3+/4+ instead if 4+/5+ would make me so happy, and more inclined to run them without needing to sit in ruins all game.

I've always wondered how the Tyranid army would play if synapse creatures gave out creature-specific buffs via synapse.

Hive Tyrants could dish out Preferred Enemy,
Tervigons gave 6+ FNP,
Maleceptors provide Adamantium Will
Zoanthropes add Monster / Tank Hunter
Warriors add Precision Shots
Shrikes add Precision Strikes
Trygon Primes give Zealot
etc..

It would add a bit of depth to the army in terms of unit selection and what targets an opponent chooses to focus on. It's certainly more interesting than "lose synapse and your army eats itself"...

I really love the idea of Stonecrushers and think they're awesome models, but I've never had much luck with them on the field against savvy opponents. The main issue is that they're just too slow. Even when dropped in a pod the lack of Fleet really hurts them, and most targets are able to move away pretty easily.

How do you get them into combat reliably?
That's why I said you probably have a different meta than mine, it tends to be fairly aggressive with armies colliding in the middle, so it's been more of plotting out how to get the charge without getting charged myself. If all your guys do is castle I can see it being a problem. I just advanced my gant brood with the crushers and malanthrope behind and it "usually" made it there as long as I wasn't rolling ones for running.

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!
Sweet, thanks for all the advice. I'll look into it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
God this loving rules.

krushgroove posted:

One of the Forge World guys put up detail pictures of the new transfer sheets, I love the daemonic script on the Word Bearers sheet:
These are lovely. I'll pick up the Ultramarines one for my Heresy duders.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Ignite Memories posted:

edit: is somebody seriously complaining that skimmers aren't awesome enough

Hah, no. I realize you can read it that way if you want, but I'm complaining that ruins aren't awesome enough. :colbert:

Hixson posted:

Yeah that's true, although it usually provides a pretty huge cover save (4+ for touching the terrain, up to 2+ for being 25% obscured)

Up until recently my group had been treating ruin walls as impassable. We didn't even check the rules, it just made sense v:shobon:v

How are you getting such good saves? Ruins give a 4+ if you're shooting through them. IIRC you count any base they are on as 5+ area terrain.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

PeterWeller posted:

How are you getting such good saves? Ruins give a 4+ if you're shooting through them. IIRC you count any base they are on as 5+ area terrain.

Shooting through ruins (4+) and being 25% obscured ( +2 to cover save) = a 2+ cover save no?

The point I was making is the walls on ruins aren't pointless, it's quite easy to get obscured and get a decent cover save

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Hixson posted:

Shooting through ruins (4+) and being 25% obscured ( +2 to cover save) = a 2+ cover save no?

The point I was making is the walls on ruins aren't pointless, it's quite easy to get obscured and get a decent cover save

Nah, your vehicle needs to be at least 25% obscured to get the 4+ save. They don't stack.

And I don't disagree, but I think they should have more of a point by blocking vehicle movement, which is why my group (and yours too, I take) houserules them to do so.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

That really kicks mech armies in the dick, though. We have it hard enough already.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
The opposite is actually true for Ruins in 7th edition. In 6th edition it was exactly as you stated, but if you read the entry in the rulebook under ruins (page 108 of the mini rulebook)
"Ruins are difficult terrain. Models in ruins receive a 4+ cover save, regardless of whether or not they are 25" obscured." Says nothing about getting a 4+ for being simply obscured by ruins, so you would take the 25% rule for other terrain and get a 5+.

So concerning ruins: In = 4+ Blocked by = 5+.

Meaning a vehicle can never get better than a 5+ from ruins (Page 77 mini rulebook "Vehicles are not obscured simply for being inside terrain such as woods or ruins. The 25% rule above takes precedence."

Master Twig fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 3, 2015

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

This is good but it could be so much better. Its also why I will play Orks forever, no matter what.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Master Twig posted:

The opposite is actually true for Ruins in 7th edition. In 6th edition it was exactly as you stated, but if you read the entry in the rulebook under ruins (page 108 of the mini rulebook)
"Ruins are difficult terrain. Models in ruins receive a 4+ cover save, regardless of whether or not they are 25" obscured." Says nothing about getting a 4+ for being simply obscured by ruins, so you would take the 25% rule for other terrain and get a 5+.

Meaning a vehicle can never get better than a 5+ from ruins (Page 77 mini rulebook "Vehicles are not obscured simply for being inside terrain such as woods or ruins. The 25% rule above takes precedence."

The obscured part is only in regards to getting cover from objects based on line of sight if the vehicle is not in terrain. Per the first rule you stated all models actually "in" ruins receive a 4+ cover save. Unlike other editions there are no partials or measurements. If any part of the hull is in terrain that vehicle model benefits from the terrain cover save (and also takes terrain tests accordingly). Ultimately any discrepancy should be discussed between you and your opponent, but that's how it reads and that how it was played in my local GT.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 3, 2015

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

im so loving hard right now

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

PierreTheMime posted:

The obscured part is only in regards to getting cover from objects based on line of sight if the vehicle is not in terrain. Per the first rule you stated all models actually "in" ruins receive a 4+ cover save. Unlike other editions there are no partials or measurements. If any part of the hull is in terrain that vehicle model benefits from the terrain cover save (and also takes terrain tests accordingly). Ultimately any discrepancy should be discussed between you and your opponent, but that's how it reads and that how it was played in my local GT.

This is how I've seen it played up here also. One small piece of a rhino track can be inside of a ruin and it automatically gets a 4+ cover save.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Miles O'Brian posted:

This is good but it could be so much better. Its also why I will play Orks forever, no matter what.

I agree, it could be a lot better but he was probably in a rush to be the first to do that model. The detail on the guitar player makes up for the lack of detail on the speakers, though.

PRINCEPS SHIPPING UPDATE!

All of these goons have Princeps going out to them:
Reynold
Deanut Pancer
(plus your brushes from the Oath Thread)
ineptmule
Hencoe
serious gaylord
(you got yours already)
JackMack (you also have yours already)

I'll PM you separately but am I missing anyone?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Ignite Memories posted:

That really kicks mech armies in the dick, though. We have it hard enough already.

Good one.

Master Twig posted:

Oops. Thanks for the correction. I think terrain rules are one of the few places where 6E is better than 7E.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Stanyer89 posted:

This is how I've seen it played up here also. One small piece of a rhino track can be inside of a ruin and it automatically gets a 4+ cover save.

But the sentence "Vehicles are not obscured simply for being inside terrain such as woods or ruins. The 25% rule above takes precedence." on page 77 specifically says that it does not.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Just saw Matt from miniwargaming in dark sphere. Him and Carl are probably the two 'celebs' of warhammer I'd recognise so that was cool. Lovely guy, he was doing a Q and A. His wife and baby were there too... She was chill, even smiled when he talked about the insane amount he spent when he first found out about warhammer (4 grand in like a month, then he just started the business).

He struggled with the concept of a cheeky nandos but he's a yank so can be forgiven

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

You play eldar. I do not trust your opinion on what is strong and what isn't.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Ignite Memories posted:

You play eldar. I do not trust your opinion on what is strong and what isn't.

I have a big Eldar army, but I don't actually play with it that much. It was already overpowered with the 6E codex, and while I don't use any D spam wraith guard, I still think it's too much. I have a CSM army that I bring out every so often, but mainly these days I just play Dark Eldar and Harlies.

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 3, 2015

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

And yet, skimmers just aren't ~*special enough*~ so we have to nerf all other vehicles

edit: No, no, it's ok, I didn't need to use cover anyways, I'll just be sitting out here in the open with my av10 2hp vehicles. Have fun.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 3, 2015

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
So some guys at work are starting up this game and it's probably time to de-mothball my 40k army.

I've got some orks and some old spacewolves (5th was the last edition I think?)

What codices do I need? Orks have some supplemental codex? Are the Spacewolves still supplemental meaning I'd need a Space marines as well?

What's this 32mm base stuff?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Master Twig posted:

But the sentence "Vehicles are not obscured simply for being inside terrain such as woods or ruins. The 25% rule above takes precedence." on page 77 specifically says that it does not.

It's a matter that (once again) their rules are worded poorly. "Models in terrain have a 4+ cover save, regardless of obscurity" takes precedence over "Vehicle does not count as obscured..." because obscured is the prerequisite for getting a cover save based on line of sight, whereas the terrain simply grants the cover save to any model even partially inside. It's perfectly fine that the Land Raider is not obscured in its terrain, because a separate rule provides a separate (and better) cover save without it.

I'm not saying it makes sense, but that's how its worded and that how I've played it/seen it played.

Sigma-X posted:

So some guys at work are starting up this game and it's probably time to de-mothball my 40k army.

I've got some orks and some old spacewolves (5th was the last edition I think?)

What codices do I need? Orks have some supplemental codex? Are the Spacewolves still supplemental meaning I'd need a Space marines as well?

What's this 32mm base stuff?
Both Orks and Space Wolves have their own codices. The Ork "supplement" is essentially it's own codex and is generally considered not all that great. You do not need the Space Marines codex to play Space Wolves.

Out of the two armies, I'd probably recommend Space Wolves unless you really love Orks because currently the Orks are not in the best place. They're playable and occasionally good with very specific units, but they took a heavy and mostly unnecessary nerfing in their last book.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 3, 2015

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The ork supplement absolutely is NOT its own codex. It has like, a few pages of rules and nobody is impressed with them. Do not buy it.

edit: sigma tell us what kind of ork stuff you have, we will tell you if there's still a workable army in there. Some of it is usable and some of it really really isn't.

edit edit: 32mm bases are something they have released without saying anything at all about what they intend to do with them and whether anything is supposed to change so don't worry about it.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 3, 2015

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Ignite Memories posted:

And yet, skimmers just aren't ~*special enough*~ so we have to nerf all other vehicles

edit: No, no, it's ok, I didn't need to use cover anyways, I'll just be sitting out here in the open with my av10 2hp vehicles. Have fun.

Oh dear. Relax. You can park your vehicles in terrain all you want. In my group, we house rule it so that you can't just drive through a wall. This is a house rule that my group uses because we think it makes sense and makes ruins more significant. It does not appear to adversely effect my CSM or my buddies' Orks, IG and Marines. Vehicles still cross all sorts of difficult terrain with no trouble because dozer blades and rams are cheap no-brainer upgrades.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Driving through walls is my core strategy. This is the only fun orky thing I still get to do.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Ignite Memories posted:

The ork supplement absolutely is NOT its own codex. It has like, a few pages of rules and nobody is impressed with them. Do not buy it.

edit: sigma tell us what kind of ork stuff you have, we will tell you if there's still a workable army in there. Some of it is usable and some of it really really isn't.

edit edit: 32mm bases are something they have released without saying anything at all about what they intend to do with them and whether anything is supposed to change so don't worry about it.

I have some flash gits and trucks and a bunch of boys and a weirdboy and some deffcoptas and biker nobs and some other poo poo. Pretty much everything except the mechanized stuff.

I had a sweet Wazdakka conversion that is unfortunately missing pieces now and the Vultureboyz dude with powerclaw legs as another sweet conversion and also a cool Mekboy.

Also these imperial knights seem interesting for the low model count.

I have a bunch of forgeworld dreads that I never built too, with the dream of running a 6 dread squad. It's my understanding that dreadnaughts are even worse now than they were before? (they were bad then).

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
My group refers to moving through solid walls as "Kool Aid manning it."

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

PeterWeller posted:

I have a big Eldar army, but I don't actually play with it that much. It was already overpowered with the 6E codex, and while I don't use any D spam wraith guard, I still think it's too much. I have a CSM army that I bring out every so often, but mainly these days I just play Dark Eldar and Harlies.

Whatsup ashamed to play your army buddy :(:hf::(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Haha, right?!? I almost miss the lovely 4E codex. At least then when I won, I felt like it was the dice handing me victory and not my rulebook. :v:

Ignite Memories posted:

Driving through walls is my core strategy. This is the only fun orky thing I still get to do.

Right on. Sorry for being a dick there. If we were to play, I wouldn't stop you. I appreciate the image of Ork buggies smashing through a wall to skorch some cowering Eldar. I was just explaining our reasoning for our house rule.

I wish the ruins rules were more interactive, where you could smash holes in the walls and knock them down. GW really half asses their tools for forging narratives there. :v:

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 3, 2015

• Locked thread