Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

mafoose posted:

Stop ordering single $10 orders you rear end in a top hat.

I usually order at least $20 work of food and tip at least $5.
But I delivered pizza/food for a "living" a couple of years, so I personally know the struggle.

I am single, and rarely finish even a single large pizza before it gets thrown out, so why should I order even more? I used to order a bottle of soda along with it, but I quit drinking soda a few years ago. Why should the driver even give a poo poo how much the total order is if the tip is reasonable based on the time/effort involved? It sounds like my $2.50~$3.00 are decent enough based on STR's post, given that they are easy as hell for the driver and I'm not stiffing them at all. I grew up with folks who would give the pizza guy $2 for delivering $30 worth of food, so I sort of thought that a 25%-30% tip was reasonably good, but do understand that the percentage is based on a fairly small order.

If I lived way out on the edge of a delivery area, or was hard to get to or something I'd tip more, but I was just wanting to make sure I wasn't giving crappy tips, nothing more complicated then that really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

mafoose posted:

I'm currently on a slump in my machinist career. I've been doing something in manufacturing for almost 8 years now. I'm in the biggest shop in town making some good money, but man, the corporate kool aid loving sucks.

In all honesty, if my wife finds a new job or is for sure not getting laid off, I'll probably be going to a smaller mom and pop shop. The pay and benefits won't be there, but it will at least be challenging again. Machining does require math, especially if you're programming or running conventional machines. Not so if you're mostly an operator (aka monkey mode/button pusher). Setups and fixturing is what I consider "fun", but shops make money by running production, so unless you're in a small prototype shop, it'll get pretty repetitive at times. Luckily we're small batch production so I do see a decent variety of parts.

The good thing is unlike an A&P mechanic (I have some friends in that), my job is cleaner and not in an overly cramped or dark hell-hole of an airplane.

TL,DR: if you wanna be a good machinist, you need maths and stick to small to medium shops. Good small shops have new(er) equipment and are clean!

I used to work in the games industry. I know what corporate kool aid is like (ask me what DARPU is). What kind of math do you need? the basic poo poo and algebra I could probably do if I studied up on it enough, and with more conviction than I did in HS. But poo poo like calculus and sq.rt. -1 and everything then gently caress that you've lost me.

This is specifically the course I'm looking at and I meet all of their entrance requirements, but I don't know to spend 4 years studying something (that I'll probably love, admittedly) to come out of it making less money than I do now (normally money isn't an important factor to me, but I will likely have at least one kid 4 years from now so "enough money" is a necessity) it seems like maybe I should just stay where I am even though I hate every part of it to my very core.

This is going to take some thought.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

We haven't had enough pussy in the June thread. :colbert:

The Locator posted:

Why should the driver even give a poo poo how much the total order is if the tip is reasonable based on the time/effort involved? It sounds like my $2.50~$3.00 are decent enough based on STR's post, given that they are easy as hell for the driver and I'm not stiffing them at all. I grew up with folks who would give the pizza guy $2 for delivering $30 worth of food, so I sort of thought that a 25%-30% tip was reasonably good, but do understand that the percentage is based on a fairly small order.

$2 on a $30 order annoys me. Not the end of the world, but it's annoying enough that I'll remember the name and address.

Somewhere I have a picture of a receipt where I got $0 on a ~$475 order (they actually had the balls to tell me they would mail a tip to me). My boss spent a lot of time trying to talk me down after that, and I spent a lot of time kicking boxes and throwing poo poo on the roof when I got back from that one. It takes a lot to piss me off, but I have the infamous Irish temper when I do get angry.

But the reason the driver cares about how much the order is? That driver very likely made a large portion of the order themselves, and definitely cut/boxed most of it (if not all). They may have even been the one you spoke to on the phone, if you called in the order. The drivers literally do everything from answering the phone to acting as cashier (in a delivery/carryout) or host (in a dine-in) or even waiter (also in a dine-in), to taking out the trash, to doing dishes, to cleaning bathrooms, to being a cook, and pretty much any other job you can think of. I'm at the point where I even take the morning deposit to the bank most days I work, do the secondary safe count (since it has to be verified), and help out with inventory.

They keep wanting to promote me, but it would be a huge pay cut when you factor in what I would lose in tips. And I sure as hell don't want to be stuck in a ~90 degree store all day, at least when I'm on a delivery I can bask in air conditioning.

edit: not knocking your tip, $2.50 to $3 is more than acceptable for what you seem to be ordering. Just a rant in general.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jun 3, 2015

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

The Locator posted:

I am single, and rarely finish even a single large pizza before it gets thrown out, so why should I order even more?
It's just a sore spot for me. I never worked at a big corporate chain, and as such we didn't really have the volume that STR sees. These orders were killer since we usually had too many drivers and you could only take one order unless the places were practically on top of each other. These orders during the dinner rush usually meant you forfeited a bigger order (and possibly a bigger tip).

You do what you want, it's your money after all!

MustardFacial posted:

I used to work in the games industry. I know what corporate kool aid is like (ask me what DARPU is). What kind of math do you need? the basic poo poo and algebra I could probably do if I studied up on it enough, and with more conviction than I did in HS. But poo poo like calculus and sq.rt. -1 and everything then gently caress that you've lost me.

This is specifically the course I'm looking at and I meet all of their entrance requirements, but I don't know to spend 4 years studying something (that I'll probably love, admittedly) to come out of it making less money than I do now (normally money isn't an important factor to me, but I will likely have at least one kid 4 years from now so "enough money" is a necessity) it seems like maybe I should just stay where I am even though I hate every part of it to my very core.

This is going to take some thought.

Calc and imaginary numbers aren't really used in machining. Most is just addition and subtraction. Depending on what kind of work you do, you might use trig, but just simple things like SohCahToa.

Lots of machinists don't like math, so they have a million different tables to look things up. Personally I use my phone quite a bit for speed and feed calculations. A lot of it comes from experience and knowing what to listen for and adjust accordingly.

Also it's hard to quantify what enough money is. I'm making over double from when I first started as shop bitch for a small fab shop, and as much as I'd like a kid (or two) I feel like it's not quite enough. Granted, superfluous spending is a little out of hand for the wife and I currently, but that will change.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mafoose posted:

It's just a sore spot for me. I never worked at a big corporate chain, and as such we didn't really have the volume that STR sees. These orders were killer since we usually had too many drivers and you could only take one order unless the places were practically on top of each other. These orders during the dinner rush usually meant you forfeited a bigger order (and possibly a bigger tip).

I've worked for everything from corporate owned Papa John's stores to one of the smaller franchises in the pizza world. At Jet's I was lucky to get 3-4 orders a night - if I opened, I might see 6, MAYBE 8 orders (I had 8 hour shifts where I took 2 orders). They seriously overstaffed, and all of their email blasts proudly stated "OUR DRIVERS NEVER TAKE DOUBLES, SO YOU GET YOUR ORDER HOT AND FRESH!" (they always tried to do doubles, even triples, but it was a stupidly large delivery area).

I've worked for Papa John's (off and on for 13 years), Domino's (2 days lol, they kept telling me I was expected to do 60+ in 30 areas and expected to run stop signs, and kept telling me they'd drug test me if I ever took too long on a delivery - the "trainer" I rode with did 70+ in 35 mph zones and bragged about how many tickets his lawyer got rid of for him - I called corporate about that franchise and started a shitstorm), and Pizza Hut (same franchise off and on for 2 years).

Sadly, as much as I hate the whole corporate poo poo in general, if you're working pizza, the big 3 are the only places you're really going to make decent money, unless you wind up with a place with a huge local following. And even then, you won't make poo poo unless it's a store in a part of town that's at least working class or better. I honestly think Pizza Hut has the worst food of the big 3 (EVERYTHING arrives frozen and pre-cut), but even the slowest store tends to be pretty busy. The one I'm at now is a $15k/week store on a good week (one of the slowest in the franchise, and by far the oldest store in the franchise by at least a decade), but I still make decent money. It does help that I've known the manager awhile - he's the one who hired me at my first Pizza Hut, and as much as we argue (we're both hot headed and both type A personalities), he knows I'm reliable, so I get the most hours out of all of the drivers. I hate opening shifts (mostly because of having to wake up before 2pm, I'm a night owl), but I'm consistently scheduled 4-5 opening shifts a week, right at 40 hours, and on the worst of days I'm still walking out with ~$40-50. On a really good day, add a 1 (occasionally a 2) in front of those numbers.

It does suck when we get slammed though. We have one manager who just doesn't give a poo poo about customers in general, and won't raise delivery time above 39 minutes in the computer (anything above 39 means the area manager gets a text, then he calls and says WTF and asks why the manager hasn't called in more drivers - in Monday's case, we even called the GM, and even the GM refused to come in to help). That happened Monday, orders were over 45 minutes old when I was walking out the door. Pizza Hut policy, at least with this franchise, is the manager on duty is supposed to call the customer and let them know we're running late, and if they're upset, offer a drink or credit or something to calm them down. She didn't do any of that; I wound up calling about half of my deliveries from my car to let them know I was on my way and running a bit late. And since my cellphone isn't a DFW number, and just shows "TEXAS" for the name if it's a landline with caller ID (I have a prepaid account, so depending on who I'm calling, it either shows UNKNOWN or TEXAS for the name on caller ID for land lines - nobody offers a postpaid account that comes remotely close to offering what I get for the same price, not even the same carrier), people often assume it's a telemarketer or bill collector... and either ignore the call or pick up and hang up. :sigh:

Goddamn, that went on a lot further than I thought it would. Sorry. I have a love/hate relationship with my job and the people I work with.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jun 3, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The Locator posted:

I am single, and rarely finish even a single large pizza...

You gotta believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Holy poo poo @ Mat_Drinks avatar.. GG dude that really is :perfect:

The Locator posted:

Absolutely not too old. At 45 years old, the bottom dropped out of my industry completely (yea, construction). Thanks to networking, an acquaintance got me into a completely different industry, for which I was at the time completely unqualified for (software QA). Now a bit over 4 years later I've moved into a lead role, am making more money than I've ever earned in my life by a fair bit (with a lot of growth potential without getting into management too), and it's actually a job that is perfect for me. I get paid to find fault with other peoples work!

OKay hang about - 45 + 4...... WTF I'm not the oldest in AI???

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Trust me when I say you don't want a "personal pan pizza".

It's all bread and nothing else (it's basically a tiny deep dish, and that little pan has enough oil that the dough winds up deep fried), and since they sell so few of them, the dough may or may not get pushed a day (sometimes two) past its expiration. It arrives frozen, so it gets prepped the night before it's expected to be used, and thaws overnight in a cooler. It's good for "2 days" once prepped. It has to thaw overnight. So technically it's only good through the close of business the following day.

Pushing dough a day past its shelf life isn't a big deal at all (seriously, the worst that will happen is it'll form some bubbles while cooking and taste a little sweeter - if it's been pushed too long, it'll form a huge bubble and force all of the cheese and toppings off, and make the manager cuss a bit), but you're paying $5+ for what cost the store 50 cents to make (dough, usually overproofed/expired, with a tiny dribble of sauce, a pinch of cheese, and 5 pieces of pepperoni). The food cost is less than what the store spends on gas to cook it.

Also uh, we have a guy who always orders either a shitload of wings (24-48 ct), or a couple of pizzas, coupled with three 2 liters of a diet beverage. Five days a week. So that meme would definitely apply to him. I have no idea how the hell he's still alive; he has very obviously badly controlled diabetes (purple feet/ankles/lower legs), and he's on the large side. I know diabetes is a bitch, so is obesity, but damnit, I'm also diabetic (and used to be close to his size). I have several years on this guy, and I've given zero fucks about my health until finding out I was diabetic (and still only give about one and a half fucks).

It would be just my luck if he was a goon and saw this.. :stare:

While on that topic, I found out recently a good friend/former coworker was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. He's also currently unemployed (his car got repossessed, and he lives in a part of town where you don't get on a bus unless you want to lose a kidney), no medical insurance, and he's insulin-dependent. :smith: You can buy the type of insulin he needs over the counter, so as soon as I have the cash I'm going to get him a few weeks worth.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

OKay hang about - 45 + 4...... WTF I'm not the oldest in AI???

I'm pretty sure Paintofcrap may have you beat. I want to say Motronic is about your age.

I dunno. The older I get, the less of a poo poo I give about age (as long as I'm not in bed with someone half my age - or if I am, it's a one night stand and they're at least legal age :haw:). I've gotten hilariously bad at judging ages, even if I'm standing in front of someone.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 3, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

some texas redneck posted:

Trust me when I say you don't want a "personal pan pizza".

It's all bread and nothing else (it's basically a tiny deep dish, and that little pan has enough oil that the dough winds up deep fried), and since they sell so few of them, the dough may or may not get pushed a day (sometimes two) past its expiration. It arrives frozen, so it gets prepped the night before it's expected to be used, and thaws overnight in a cooler. It's good for "2 days" once prepped. It has to thaw overnight. So technically it's only good through the close of business the following day.

Pushing dough a day past its shelf life isn't a big deal at all (seriously, the worst that will happen is it'll form some bubbles while cooking and taste a little sweeter - if it's been pushed too long, it'll form a huge bubble and force all of the cheese and toppings off, and make the manager cuss a bit), but you're paying $5+ for what cost the store 50 cents to make (dough, usually overproofed/expired, with a tiny dribble of sauce, a pinch of cheese, and 5 pieces of pepperoni). The food cost is less than what the store spends on gas to cook it.

I make my own dough from time to time, I cold rise that poo poo in the fridge because it ferments and tastes awesome. Generally leave it in there for a week for maximum tastiness and it has the added bonus of making it easier to work with once it's time to make the pizza. Millimeter thin pizzas? Not a problem.

But yeah, pizza itself is cheap as gently caress to make, even when I'm throwing a party and making ~20 13/14" pizzas with everything on them it works out to something like £70 in total. I sometimes feel like I'm missing out on not opening up a tiny little pizza place somewhere, this town ain't got poo poo that isn't cheap crappy pizza or your delivery pizza that's overpriced and still not amazing. :/

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

In terms of real food cost, pepperoni and cheese are the most expensive items (followed by chicken) - also (speaking as both a former pizza shop manager, and someone who regularly helps count inventory) the items that get overused the most.

My store did their weekly inventory count Monday (for some odd reason our weeks start on Tuesday). We were hilariously off on several things, but the biggest things, as usual, were cheese and pepperoni. Off as in we overused nearly $700 worth. :stonklol: Drinks were way off as well, 20 ounce drinks always wind up walking out the door. That's 95% employees, but no cameras, so..

I forgot to pay for a bottle of water the other day. I did ring it up, just never got around to paying for it. Found a big ugly note on the whiteboard yesterday. That pissed me the gently caress off, especially since it was a whole $1, and a genuine accident. loving call me before writing "SEAN DIDN'T PAY FOR A BOTTLE OF WATER" in giant letters, for fucks sake.

A pizza place can make some serious dough (:laffo:), but in reality, you have a ton of overhead from labor, food, and poo poo constantly breaking (since pizza shops are ALWAYS built by the lowest bidder). The ovens in particular are incredibly expensive, and unless you get an older "dumb" model, they're very expensive to keep running. The older models are stupid reliable, but run at full heat nonstop all day, and you wind up with a natural gas bill in the thousands. The newer models are smart enough to shut down in various stages when not in use, and save a fortune in energy, but also break really easily (mostly because they rely on an IR beam and a reflector, much like a garage door opener, to detect when you place a pizza on the conveyor).

I could open a pizza place and make a fortune, but I wouldn't do it with your typical conveyor oven. I've cooked with conveyors, gas fired stone, and wood fired stone; stone ovens are the only way to go, but things go to poo poo in a hurry during peak times (toss 5 pies in at once and watch how quickly your 650 degree stone drops to 380).

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Mat_Drinks posted:

I actually don't mind the quad exhaust of the ISF, I like quirkiness in cars.

The funny thing about the M3 is that because of the way the interior fits and the high revs of the engine it felt a LOT like my BRZ, just nicer and faster.
I like the look, it's just unfortunately odd that two of them aren't hooked up to anything.

The BRZ does a lot right, and if you have endless unbroken asphalt on every road and every intersection with no traffic and with miles of cop-spotting visibility it's hard to beat. Most of us don't live in rural Iowa though so keeping it on the boil (aka being at 55 mph at all times in 2nd/3rd regardless of your steering angle) was thrilling but I felt like it'd be tough to enjoy in more populated areas in a similar.. ah, jubilant fashion as it takes a while to wind it up. I bet the C63 torque feels monumental comparatively. I'm now half of a mind to go test one this weekend just for a laugh.

Looks like that Coupe didn't have the extended leather.

Dunno if that matters to you but it is something that you see a lot of people trying to trade for (buy) on the M3 post and I think it may be slightly different in the E90/not 100% interchangeable and they're obviously rarer. The dash definitely feels more special with it.

I know you're not trying to buy that one, but another thing it didn't have - Comfort Access, which is something I didn't realize how much I'd like having. I never take the key out of my pocket and the doors open when I touch them and lock when I tap them. Can't beat that really. Keeps your dash from getting scuffed up from stuffing the fob into the slot all the time, too.

Do you know to set up the M-Drive settings before you set off on tests, and then deploy the M button on the steering wheel once the car's limit gets up to 8300 on the tach after you've driven a few miles? Obviously you can't go wild on a test drive, but you do need to give it some workout.

I put the steering servotronic on sport (not plus, it feels too twitchy at low speeds imho), power at normal or sport, not plus (all this does is quicken the throttle response, if you get bucking when you try and get on it at first it's because of pilot induced oscillations so try driving in normal if that happens), shift speed at 5, and MDM on instead of traction control (which will allow a little "testing" of the LSD at relatively low speeds without too much assistance cutting in but more importantly without leaving you with DSC off completely.) If the car has EDC, 1 light is magnetic control for sportiness in the dampers but some give, 2 lights is locked dampers for race, and no lights on is the comfort setting, which is actually useful for lovely/bumpy LA roads. Still not quite a Lincoln or anything. Comfort is also good for not getting those bucking oscillations as you're getting used to it putting your foot down.

Some of these settings make the driving feel considerably different, so in case you weren't aware figured I'd tell you to tinker around in the Settings->M-Settings menu in the iDrive to make sure you're testing from the same baselines.

For maximum 'scare the sales guy' effects after you've gone about 8 miles to warm up the diff, from a stoplight, press and hold the DSC button til the light goes on on the dash, bump the shifts up to 6, and then proceed to chirp the tires in each gear up to 4th at about 90.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Oh gently caress yeah! All my upcoming jobs got put on the overtime list! That means for now I don't have to sell my miata

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

88h88 posted:

I make my own dough from time to time, I cold rise that poo poo in the fridge because it ferments and tastes awesome. Generally leave it in there for a week for maximum tastiness and it has the added bonus of making it easier to work with once it's time to make the pizza. Millimeter thin pizzas? Not a problem.

But yeah, pizza itself is cheap as gently caress to make, even when I'm throwing a party and making ~20 13/14" pizzas with everything on them it works out to something like £70 in total. I sometimes feel like I'm missing out on not opening up a tiny little pizza place somewhere, this town ain't got poo poo that isn't cheap crappy pizza or your delivery pizza that's overpriced and still not amazing. :/

Do you have a preferred recipe you use?
You've mentioned making pizzas a few times and I'm tempted.

I buy the pre-made dough rolls from asda and make it from there.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm only half-heathen, I buy the ciabatta bread mix packet from the supermarket and make bases out of that.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I just throw toppings on a pita bread (99c for 5) and bake for 5min. In fact I just did that with pepperoni, capsicum, onion, olives and mushrooms.
Let me tell you how hot your pizza is going to be when you mistake ground 7 pot chillies with cayenne pepper.

No one got tipped.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

freelop posted:

For shits and giggles, try to calculate how much salt you ingest by doing that. Last one I made was 2.5g per 100g, whole roll was 400g and I shamefully ate almost all of it. And it's not like the cheese and pepperoni you put on top is zero-sodium either. I roughly estimated that I'd eaten between 15 and 20 grams of salt in one sitting, and after weighing that amount out on my drugcoffee scale I swore off premade dough forever.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

freelop posted:

Do you have a preferred recipe you use?
You've mentioned making pizzas a few times and I'm tempted.

I've used that before. Not bad!

Recipe I used to use was:

700ml of filtered water (use regular if you want but filtered is recommended)
4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
pinch of salt
pinch of sugar
7g packet of yeast (unless you have your own culture but that's some serious pizza poo poo right there)
strong white bread flour (some recipes use Italian '00' but I prefer strong as it has more gluten which means the dough is easier to work).

These days the only thing I really measure is the filtered water. This will make at least 4x12" pizzas, the longer the dough ferments the less you use which = more pizzas.

Turf everything bar the flour into a bowl and mix it.
Add flour bit by bit until you have dough. --- at this point you have dough and here's where you make your choice as to whether you want to make 'bread' pizza or fermenty tasty pizza. If 'bread' pizza, cover the bowl with a clean kitchen cloth and leave it somewhere warmish for an hour or so. Then roll it and make pizza.

If you want fermenty tasty pizza you have to make it in advance of when you want to eat it. Make the dough then seal the bowl with cling film/saran wrap TIGHT and then put it in the fridge. The yeast will nom all the sugar and create flavour and will continue to do so over the course of several days.

I usually leave mine for a week because that's now just what I'm used to, the flavour becomes really noticeable after 3 days. Either way depending on when you're going to use it the dough will expand and try to escape your bowl. You did seal the bowl properly, didn't you? If not, enjoy cleaning up the mess. If so, take the bowl out, tap it on the side to deflate the monstrous doughy mess, flour up a work surface and beat the air out of it. If you're leaving the dough for a week you'll need to do this a couple of times, so add more flour to return it to its dough state, pop it back in the bowl and re-seal.

Usually after the second time beating the air out of it I split it all up and put a couple of pizzas worth of dough into re-sealable food/sandwich bags but then I usually make 3/4 bowls of dough at a time. If you do try this, coat the inside of the baggies with a small amount of olive oil and your poo poo's good to go whenever you want.

Cooking?

Oven as hot as it will possibly go, make sure there's a shelf at the top of the oven. Pizza stone is good poo poo but not a requirement, I've made awesome pizzas on baking trays. I don't use a pizza peel so the stone comes out, I transfer the pre-rolled dough onto it and add the sauce and toppings right there while the underside starts to cook. Toppings on, back in the oven for 7-10 minutes and pizza.

The process is as involved as you want it to be but fermenting adds flavour and beating the air out of it once every day or so takes 15 minutes in total for a much tastier dough. It comes down to just how lazy you are and at least here you benefit from my year or so of loving around finding out what works best.

For toppings and poo poo I am a huge fan of reggae reggae instead of a tomato pizza sauce. Oven + reggae = :allears:
Sweet chilli sauce + cheddar = godlike 'starter' pizza and the one everyone always asks for when I throw a pizza party.
Anyone suggesting bbq sauce can be roundly ignored, it's not bad but they clearly don't know the joys of reggae reggae.

*editing for photos:

Dough after an evening in the fridge

Dough after a few days in the fridge and after a solid beat down to remove air bubbles

Toppings thrown on while on the hot as gently caress pizza stone.

End result after 10 minutes

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 3, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

CommieGIR posted:

:stare: Holy poo poo the Audi/VW scene has been overrun by Ricer and Tuner assholes.
Every Audi/VW at the cars and coffee here is stanced and useless, really sad to see. Friend built his R32 for SCCA autocross and is constantly told it should be lower or other stupid poo poo. I know I'm going to get the same thing when I finally bring the 320i to anything. Yes I have coilovers and could go lower...no I will not lower it to look better, it's set at this height for a reason. poo poo even the DD VW TDI gets questioned because it's stock and I'm 'an enthusiast'.

T1g4h posted:

I'm in the AI minority and fully admit this, but I love well done stance. I really, truly do.
Some are well done and look nice but that's rare. Most is done on a budget and ends up with a car that is completely loving useless and ruined.

MustardFacial posted:

Depends on the job. on the side of an engine with plenty of open space, sure no problem. Something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcxHQXYU-Os
I will never complain about doing lockwire on a race bike or car again. That looks frustrating as hell to me.

Mooseykins posted:

There is a fair bit of responsibility involved, yes. Also, you will be subject to tool control in most cases. Where your tools are usually inlaid in foam, and must be put back in place after every repair to ensure none are left in the plane, as so to prevent FOD. (Foreign Object Damage.)
I've always done this on projects, just seems like a smart habit to get into. Now I just need to convince my brother a job isn't complete until you clean up and put away your tools.

CommieGIR posted:

Even TDIClub and VWDiesel.net is turning into this, makes me want to just throw up my hands.

Look, I'm okay with stance as long as its tasteful. The whole 'Put your Camber at 45 degrees out of stock' is ridiculous and incredibly dangerous. Unfortunately, that is what Southern Wurthersee mostly consisted off.

Speak of, they got kicked out of Helen, GA.
Sad to see TDI Club going that way, it had been one of the few remaining good VW forums. SoWo looked like a disaster from the videos I saw, not surprised at all they were kicked out. I was initially bummed I couldn't attend but after seeing the videos I was glad I skipped it.

crutt posted:

So I find the only used 3.4l supercharger for my 4runner in the country on Craigslist, but the guy doesn't have paypal and isn't willing to deal except face to face. Just take my money! loving loonies.
Where is it? There's got to be someone that's semi-local and willing to help out.

some texas redneck posted:

Also uh, we have a guy who always orders either a shitload of wings (24-48 ct), or a couple of pizzas, coupled with three 2 liters of a diet beverage.

I dunno. The older I get, the less of a poo poo I give about age (as long as I'm not in bed with someone half my age - or if I am, it's a one night stand and they're at least legal age :haw:). I've gotten hilariously bad at judging ages, even if I'm standing in front of someone.
I get lazy a few times a year and do the pizza diet. Extra large pizza and at least 24 wings every other night for a week or two. Then I can't stand pizza for several months.

I used to only date women within a couple years of my age but that was mostly due to being in school/college. Since then it really hasn't mattered at all. One of the women I'm seeing now is 10 years older than me and has a daughter 11 years younger than me. It's a little strange to think about but it doesn't bother me.

E30 meet this weekend in NC, should be a good time. For some reason I'm thinking about borrowing a truck and trailer to bring the car down there. I shouldn't have any issues and it would be more trouble than it's worth but if I or anyone else has trouble it would be nice to have available. Need to take it out this afternoon and get some heat into it to make sure my cooling system work is good. If I'm not feeling good about it I'll be the rear end in a top hat that brings a E28 to a E30 meet.

Verified last night the 928 still isn't charging. So I need to tear into that at some point. I'm going to double check the connections on the alternator and maybe bring it in to be tested but it's new and should be good. More likely it's something else somewhere on the car...What a pain in the rear end.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

At the minor med this morning. It's a good thing they don't allow weapons on the premises, otherwise I might be on the way to the Jello factory.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The worst part about the stanced VW crowd is that you can get the Mk1 maybe an inch lower to the ground before the handling is completely destroyed by bump steer. Add in lots of camber to really aggressive bump steer and no power steering.

Its a miracle people take those things down a street without crashing.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Follow up video to that dude getting headbutted by the sport bike riders was posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVaisMZuTT4

Dudes on the bikes might have been going somewhat fast but it looks like the driver of that Ford was just being a douchebag after all.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

First Fury Road and now Fallout 4? This is going to be the best year for post apocalyptic media ever! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnn2rJpjar4

edit: Whoever bought me this custom title, YOU'RE THE COOLEST! :3:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

keykey posted:

First Fury Road and now Fallout 4? This is going to be the best year for post apocalyptic media ever! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lnn2rJpjar4

WITNESS MEEEEE!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oh, goody, they found the world's smallest amount of weed that had fallen out of someone's pocket on the shop floor, and not only did they decide that it was a really good idea to waste the police's time by reporting it and giving it to them, they've now decided they want to implement random drug testing and the like. What a load of bollocks.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Anyone used emachineshop's cad software before? its kind of a neat website but this software is really, really bad

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Oh, goody, they found the world's smallest amount of weed that had fallen out of someone's pocket on the shop floor, and not only did they decide that it was a really good idea to waste the police's time by reporting it and giving it to them, they've now decided they want to implement random drug testing and the like. What a load of bollocks.

That's lame. If we randomly drug tested here, we'd be out whole art, music, and philosophy departments.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

keykey posted:

Just me or did the graphics for that look decidedly last gen?

e: and sweet, thanks for the avatar fix, IOC!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

keykey posted:

Came here to post this, I'm super excited for a new Fallout. :awesome:

Also your avatar is incredible, glad I'm alone for lunch and don't have to explain my laughter to anyone.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

keykey posted:

:eyepop:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tide posted:

Who cares? If anything, gaming companies have spent FAR too much time focusing on graphics instead of story.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

CommieGIR posted:

Who cares? If anything, gaming companies have spent FAR too much time focusing on graphics instead of story.

Apparently a lot of people do. Even in the Games PS4 thread, there are dorks writing the game off already.

It's fallout 4. Embrace the nuclear bath.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Tide posted:

That's the thing I've noticed with next gen consoles.. After having a PS4 for a while, it's not the in your face graphics that really wow me, it's all the tiny accents of junk laying around that add to the atmosphere of most games. Before they had to streamline for the more in your face media, now days they are able to give games a more environmental feel with the extra power.

CommieGIR posted:

Also, this.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

holocaust bloopers posted:

there are dorks writing the game off already.

Goon. Goon never changes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

holocaust bloopers posted:

Even in the Games PS4 thread

Well there's yer problem right there.

Half of the console nuts salivate over games that are basically the same story or concept over and over and over (Battlefield, etc.) and how awesome the next gen graphics look. gently caress em.

Its Bethesda, and they have not let me down yet.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

keykey posted:

Welp... there goes a bunch of my time whenever it comes out.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

Welp... there goes a bunch of my time whenever it comes out.

Yup. I should probably get around to a replay of Fallout 3 / NV on my PC before it comes out, I only played them on the 360 before.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I tip the pizza guy a minimum of $5 (my standard order is $21, cheap pizza place) and more if the order was more or if I happen to have the change, mostly because I know other people are loving them over and that sucks. I'm the easiest delivery in the world too, practically across the street from the pizza shop. .6 miles according to google maps. My pizza is nice and hot when I get it. God dammit you fuckers now I want some pizza.

There's a decent pizza place a bit farther away that does what they call a Sicilian style pizza which is pretty much a loaf of bread with toppings. Seriously the dough is about an inch thick. One of these days I'm going to order one with every meat they sell and double cheese. Should cost about $50 for one pie, but I'll be eating it for like a week.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
Following advice from a mate, i called up the courier company he works for (Sub-con, owner driver) to ask if they were looking for any other drivers. They said yes, got an interview on Monday morning to talk to them and so they can meet me and see my van, check everything is in order.

:unsmith:

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yup. I should probably get around to a replay of Fallout 3 / NV on my PC before it comes out, I only played them on the 360 before.

I'm thinking the same thing. I have yet to dive into the New Vegas DLC, but it's going to rain the rest of the day...I'm gonna take advantage of that and geek out for a bit this afternoon. It's been a while.

Also I'm the guy who tips $10 on a $20 order, and makes ridiculous :420: jokes in any online ordering comment/direction/instruction section I can find. It's gotten me great service so far. I want to see what the notes for my address are in their system.

stone soup fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

LloydDobler posted:

I tip the pizza guy a minimum of $5 (my standard order is $21, cheap pizza place) and more if the order was more or if I happen to have the change, mostly because I know other people are loving them over and that sucks. I'm the easiest delivery in the world too, practically across the street from the pizza shop. .6 miles according to google maps. My pizza is nice and hot when I get it. God dammit you fuckers now I want some pizza.

I usually give them £3-5. My pizza is always here real quick and really hot. I don't think many people tip them here, which is bullshit. Deliver me a pizza in the pouring rain? £10 tip, for sure.

I also now really want pizza. Papa John's with pepperoni and jalapenos. :stwoon:

LloydDobler posted:

There's a decent pizza place a bit farther away that does what they call a Sicilian style pizza which is pretty much a loaf of bread with toppings. Seriously the dough is about an inch thick. One of these days I'm going to order one with every meat they sell and double cheese. Should cost about $50 for one pie, but I'll be eating it for like a week.

• Locked thread