Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
When it comes to ads I find myself more kindly disposed towards companies who either run simple informative ads, this product does X and Y and costs Z where X and Y are reasonable things for a product to do and Z is a not insane number, or ones that are genuinely funny. Funny ads don't overcome a product I already know I don't like though. I enjoyed the Make 7 Up Yours campaign with Orlando Jones, but it didn't make me any more likely to buy 7-up because I strongly prefer the taste of Sprite or Sierra Mist when it comes to clear citrus flavored sodas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

CommissarMega posted:

Huh, that makes sense- kind of. Still though, there must be better ways to get charity money other than calling people who've already donated. if you MAKE them donate, that's not charity anymore, that's extortion- didn't these idiots see that? :psyduck:

No it's more sad than that. She was selling poppies for charity (all proceeds went to the charity) but on top of that she was spending large amounts of her retirement money on other charities every month. Everyone knows that as soon as you do that you basically get recognised as 'a sucker' (putting it harshly) and you get innundated with calls and mail to donate more. It's ridiculous and counterproductive but there you go.

My flatmate used to send £5 a month to the Red Cross but cancelled after they kept hounding her for more with the typical hard sell poo poo on the phone. It was really pretty awful and that was only one charity.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

sassassin posted:

The WWF used to do that to me until I sent them a sternly worded letter accusing them of harassment and threatening to withdraw my donation of £5 a month. Constant phonecalls during the evenings and weekends.

The Monterey Bay aquarium was cool when I went ~7 years ago.

It's still cool and I still go. Getting stoned and parking your rear end in front of the kelp forest is the poo poo. I may join again in the hopes that they've abandonned the hard sell tactics.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

VendaGoat posted:

My local museums have started 21+ nights where you can drink and go through the museum sans kids. They are an incredible blast to photograph and a tons of fun to boot.

Last four events have sold out. :)

I like it when things I like prosper.

Reminds me of desperate Colorado classical symphonies doing 'Classically Cannabis' shows, letting people get high as gently caress in the audience.

Honestly that makes a night at the ole opry sound much more attractive :cheeky:

pienipple posted:

When it comes to ads I find myself more kindly disposed towards companies who either run simple informative ads, this product does X and Y and costs Z where X and Y are reasonable things for a product to do and Z is a not insane number, or ones that are genuinely funny. Funny ads don't overcome a product I already know I don't like though. I enjoyed the Make 7 Up Yours campaign with Orlando Jones, but it didn't make me any more likely to buy 7-up because I strongly prefer the taste of Sprite or Sierra Mist when it comes to clear citrus flavored sodas.

As far as I'm concerned, adverts for new products make sense; be it a band coming to town, a company selling a new product, a company putting a product on sale, or a movie trailer or something.

But any of the "hey, did you forget about McDonalds!?" Commercials that run every freaking hour on every cable channel in the US, just trying to bombard you with the same product you know about over and over in the hopes that somehow that makes you buy it, I feel like those are all just a huge gigantic waste of money. If anything it turns me off their product!

But then I remember that most people aren't all that savvy and probably still fall for that poo poo in droves.

But I know whenever I see a company using clear bandwagon tactics (drink our lite beer, everybody does, women will love you!) it just makes me really really distrust and dislike the product. I go way out of my way to avoid those.

I really hope that in the future marketing wraps back around to like the early ad days and its just "Buy Our Product: It does ____ better."

Pet Peeve: Websites that only have 1 advertisement. The Daily Show online is really bad about this, the only have like 2-3 ads at any given time, but they require you to watch a web add every time there's a commercial break. So you end up watching the same goddamned annoying add 5 times in a row, and it really makes you hate the product. They're making you associate the product with frustration and wasting your time. That's a huge mistake.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 17:23 on Jun 3, 2015

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
This thread reminded me that I saw this in the store the other day. It's so ridiculous that it makes me cringe.

quote:

Even if you can’t whittle a kayak out of a redwood with a penknife, you can smell like the sort of guy who would. Bounce for Men Pure Sport, our first ever laundry product for men, adds softness and fights lint, it infuses clothes with a clean, fresh, sporty scent.

Tired of regular dryer sheets making you sprout ovaries? Try Bounce FOR MEN!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

hyperhazard posted:

This thread reminded me that I saw this in the store the other day. It's so ridiculous that it makes me cringe.

Does it come in 'bacon' or 'woodshop' scents? :rolleyes:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Reminds me of desperate Colorado classical symphonies doing 'Classically Cannabis' shows, letting people get high as gently caress in the audience.

I'd go. :420:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Crow Jane posted:

Yeah, we do something similar, and it is great. The problem is, the museum is already free to the public, mainly due to a combination of a grant from the city and proceeds from memberships.

It may be worth noting that museums in the UK are almost universally free, but paid ticketed after hours events still do very well - exclusivity doesn't come up a lot in free museums.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

Zaphod42 posted:

Does it come in 'bacon' or 'woodshop' scents? :rolleyes:

Gonna be honest, if they had a bounce sheet that infused my clothes with the scent of working with cedar or pine woods i'd buy it.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

hyperhazard posted:

Still somehow less pandering than the Axe shower tool.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Captainsalami posted:

Gonna be honest, if they had a bounce sheet that infused my clothes with the scent of working with cedar or pine woods i'd buy it.

Yeah I'm on board with that too.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Hygiene stuff 'for Men' is always hilarious/pathetic in how much it tries to overcompensate. Always SERIOUS colours, usually dark, and quite often they try to look 'practical'. Thank god my shampoo bottle has this gun-grip texture on it, otherwise I might drop it when I'm lumberjacking or some poo poo.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Cicadalek posted:

Hygiene stuff 'for Men' is always hilarious/pathetic in how much it tries to overcompensate. Always SERIOUS colours, usually dark, and quite often they try to look 'practical'. Thank god my shampoo bottle has this gun-grip texture on it, otherwise I might drop it when I'm lumberjacking or some poo poo.

I refuse to use deodorant if I can't cock the aerosol like a shotgun

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Wanamingo posted:

Still somehow less pandering than the Axe shower tool.

Speaking of dumb moves in marketing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPwhMoQBg_8

Its a little funny and I guess they were going for the shock element to stay in people's memory or something.

But seriously, did Axe think they were going to get people to start buying products for washing their junk exclusively?

I get that they're trying to push loofas to men but I don't think "wash your balls!" is gonna do it.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

hyperhazard posted:

Eau de Musky Bollock-Juice?

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Cicadalek posted:

I bought a carpet cleaner the other day that has tire tread on the trigger. I didn't realize it until I got home and wondered why the hell it felt so weird.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Captainsalami posted:

Yeah, not gonna lie, that freshly-cut-wood shop scent is pretty nice.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I hate the marketing behind it, but I love the soap. I use this scent every day, and I like the way it smells.

http://www.manhandssoap.com/cabin

Of note is the fact that their coffee scent is really, really sweet and I don't like it. Also the bacon is just gross, and more a gimmick than something you would ever actually use. I haven't tried a ton of the others, but I usually grab a random one each time I order my usual cedar log cabin soaps.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Pet Peeve: Websites that only have 1 advertisement. The Daily Show online is really bad about this, the only have like 2-3 ads at any given time, but they require you to watch a web add every time there's a commercial break. So you end up watching the same goddamned annoying add 5 times in a row, and it really makes you hate the product. They're making you associate the product with frustration and wasting your time. That's a huge mistake.
This is a problem with streaming in general. Try watching a 3-hour football game on WatchESPN some time with only four ads and the repetitive "Your program is in a commercial break" music. :shepicide:

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

This is a problem with streaming in general. Try watching a 3-hour football game on WatchESPN some time with only four ads and the repetitive "Your program is in a commercial break" music. :shepicide:

I think you can extend this to TV as well. Sometimes, certain ads play during all of a certain shows commercial break, and sometimes they go literally back to back. I think the worst offenders of this, for me, are movie ads. It just kind of sours the experience when I see the same trailer over and over again.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Here's an ad from Thailand for an herbal laxative tea

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I would drink that tea. No joke. If I saw that poo poo on a shelf I would buy it no questions asked.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Len posted:

I would drink that tea. No joke. If I saw that poo poo on a shelf I would buy it no questions asked.

I would buy it without even knowing what it was. It's helpful that they put a cup on it with the tea tag in English. I feel like "Release the Demon" is ok, but would be a lot catchier if it said "Hitler will make you poo poo yourself!"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

AKA Pseudonym posted:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

AKA Pseudonym posted:

The Final Solution in constipation.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

VendaGoat posted:

The Final Solution in constipation.

Heil Shitler! Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently Bazooka Joe still exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DewXswTTn2Y

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

AKA Pseudonym posted:

There's a Thai market not far from me, and I am SO tempted to go there tomorrow just to see if they have this.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

AKA Pseudonym posted:

For anyone who doesn't watch Last Week Tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWNbekZVyKk

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

was bazooka joe a child soldier or something?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

was bazooka joe a child soldier or something?

Where do you think he got the nickname "Bazooka"?

Bukowski
Dec 28, 2009

hammulder
We will put the ashes of our fallen comrades into our vaguely mint flavored gum, carry them into battle with us, in our mouths.

We are DOUBLEMINT DOGS

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Cicadalek posted:

I'm pretty sure this has been linked in here before. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JDmb_f3E2c

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

I watch a lot of YouTube on my TV via the ps3, especially when I am cleaning/cooking. Most of what I watch falls into the categories of vidya games and true crime/mysteries, yet because I once ticked a box that says female I get three kinds of ads-pregnancy tests, razors for ladies (cause my delicate lady skin needs it) and a place online that literally translates to dresses.com. Its sort of infuriating to be pandered to like that. I mean yeah, I wear dresses sometimes, but just because I am a woman doesn't mean that the only things I am going to buy are female exclusive items. Ffs, more than half of what I watch are LPs or other direct video game stuff, you think their algorithm would have figured out by now that I am more interested in that than seeing if I am pregnant on a regular basis.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

As far as I'm concerned, adverts for new products make sense; be it a band coming to town, a company selling a new product, a company putting a product on sale, or a movie trailer or something.

But any of the "hey, did you forget about McDonalds!?" Commercials that run every freaking hour on every cable channel in the US, just trying to bombard you with the same product you know about over and over in the hopes that somehow that makes you buy it, I feel like those are all just a huge gigantic waste of money. If anything it turns me off their product!

But then I remember that most people aren't all that savvy and probably still fall for that poo poo in droves.

But I know whenever I see a company using clear bandwagon tactics (drink our lite beer, everybody does, women will love you!) it just makes me really really distrust and dislike the product. I go way out of my way to avoid those.

I really hope that in the future marketing wraps back around to like the early ad days and its just "Buy Our Product: It does ____ better."

IIRC ad inundation is actually really effective at maintaining sales, not necessarily expanding it. There was some large brand, I want to say like Pepsi or some poo poo, which was so confident that everybody knew who they were and would buy their product anyway that they just stopped constantly shoving ads on TV. They weren't seeing appreciable growth in sales vs their marketing budget and just couldnt justify the amount they were spending because of it.

Sales plummeted by a decent margin. They weren't gaining new sales, but the constant ads kept them relevant. Without them, their main competitor (in this case Coke, I guess) quickly snapped up the difference in market share, and it took literal years to close that gap again.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

death .cab for qt posted:

IIRC ad inundation is actually really effective at maintaining sales, not necessarily expanding it. There was some large brand, I want to say like Pepsi or some poo poo, which was so confident that everybody knew who they were and would buy their product anyway that they just stopped constantly shoving ads on TV. They weren't seeing appreciable growth in sales vs their marketing budget and just couldnt justify the amount they were spending because of it.

Sales plummeted by a decent margin. They weren't gaining new sales, but the constant ads kept them relevant. Without them, their main competitor (in this case Coke, I guess) quickly snapped up the difference in market share, and it took literal years to close that gap again.

That's been mentioned in the thread before I think. The brand was some now-dead toothpaste and the competitor was Colgate.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

It was Moxie Cola.

quote:

The brand suffered a significant decline in sales during the 1930s, which is thought to have been caused by the company's decision to expand its sugar reserves at the expense of its popular advertising campaign.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

That's been mentioned in the thread before I think. The brand was some now-dead toothpaste and the competitor was Colgate.

Right! I'm pretty sure it was Crest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
That came up earlier on. It was Crest toothpaste. Colgate was the brand that benefitted from Crest stopping marketing. I'd find it but this is a long thread and :effort:

efb