Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

kayakyakr posted:

That is a pretty sweet stadium. Looks like mostly earthen berm? Always loved berm stadiums. Great location too.

I'm guessing they moved it because it was land-locked by other historic buildings and they would not be able to expand ever?

Yeah and it was small-ish (35k)

They did a study on upgrading it 50 with a new press box, but it was going to cost more than building a new one, especially since we owned the golf course we plopped it on. There was also literally no parking at the old field and they'd already moved basketball out of Stansbury to the Coliseum a few years before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah, that too. Feels like it is made of popsicle sticks during sandstorm.

I guess I'm not really being fair to W-B. It's fairly loud objectively--but like it doesn't compare to most SEC venues and the speakers end up adding a lot to it (Sandstorm). And the PA guy really has to get the crowd up during defensive downs and stuff. It's bizarre because UF, UGA and Clemson are not like that at all and are pretty loud all the time (DIAA games excepted).

If it ain't swayin', we ain't playin'. :clint:

I've certainly been at quiet games in W-B (last year's A&M disaster is a perfect example), but I've also been at ones that were incredibly loud (any Georgia or Clemson game). The downside of W-B's unique shape is that the seats are kind of set back from the field, so that probably helps a good bit of sound escape.

There's also been a fierce debate over the past few years about the quality of the student section. Some older fans think current students are spoiled by success, so they're not as loud or plugged in as they used to be or could be. There's probably a lot of selective memory and rose-colored glasses at work for some of those folks, but even still, I would say our student section is among the weakest in the SEC. I'm sure that's where some of the "enh" reviews of W-B come from as well.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Scarf posted:

Williams Brice is terrifying. Not because of the noise, or the crowd... But because you can feel the entire upperdeck swaying due to it sitting on lovely concrete pillars.
The Kyle Field rebuild is explicitly designed to sway (although not as much as old Kyle Field) because people were freaking out about the TRADITION of feeling imminent structural collapse during the war hymn

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Elotana posted:

The Kyle Field rebuild is explicitly designed to sway (although not as much as old Kyle Field) because people were freaking out about the TRADITION of feeling imminent structural collapse during the war hymn

I mean if there's anything Aggie can call tradition it's preventable student death

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
What's everyone think of Houston's silver scaffold stadium?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Elotana posted:

God I was about to make a bonfire reference but then felt really bad.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

kayakyakr posted:

All the look of UCF's stadium, none of the structural weakness

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Scarf posted:

Williams Brice is terrifying. Not because of the noise, or the crowd... But because you can feel the entire upperdeck swaying due to it sitting on lovely concrete pillars.

Clemson pre-expansion:

Post-expansion:

that pre-expansion looks terrifying

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Metapod posted:

that pre-expansion looks terrifying

It wasn't bad, they were pretty solid as far as bleachers go.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

UGA quarterback battle status: new quarterback in town! Greyson Lambert from Virginia is transferring in and who the gently caress knows at this point. Put me in the running too, who needs a QB when we can just run the drat ball

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

UGA quarterback battle status: new quarterback in town! Greyson Lambert from Virginia is transferring in and who the gently caress knows at this point. Put me in the running too, who needs a QB when we can just run the drat ball

I just assumed that the QB position at UGA was a mere formality. Let Chubb run the Wildcat the whole time.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

If shotty only wants passes that stay within 5 yards of the LOS Lambert will fit in fine.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Morby posted:

I just assumed that the QB position at UGA was a mere formality. Let Chubb run the Wildcat the whole time.

When we did it with Gurley it worked better than playing Mason as an actual Quarterback

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvEc5kVwPE0

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
UCLA's QB race just got a little clearer, as Asiantii Woulard is transferring. Makes sense, as while he had potential he wasn't quite as consistent or experienced as Jerry Neuheisel and doesn't quite have the upside of Josh Rosen, leaving him as sort of the odd man out despite being probably the second-best QB coming out of spring. Former 4* recruit, pretty athletic, and had a couple of really good days in the spring so I'm sure he'll find a starting spot somewhere else.

Potentially troublesome for us if Rosen can't quite put things together his first year in or if he or Neuheisel get hurt, as that leaves only a walk-on and former-QB-turned-WR Aaron Sharp behind them.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The renovation to Kinnick cost a stupid amount of money but it is a really pretty stadium these days. I wish we had a football team actually worth filling it for :(

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

MourningView posted:

The renovation to Kinnick cost a stupid amount of money but it is a really pretty stadium these days. I wish we had a football team actually worth filling it for :(

Might I interest you in a gently used Dana Hologorsen to spruce things up?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

When we did it with Gurley it worked better than playing Mason as an actual Quarterback

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvEc5kVwPE0

That play was pretty rad. Glad Gurley went to the NFL, but it seems like Chubb will pick up where he left off.

Did Schotty ever coach at the college level or was he always in the NFL? It seems like he might be able to adjust his offense to the college game and make it work. Surely Richt will let him do his thing without interfering.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Might I interest you in a gently used Dana Hologorsen to spruce things up?

I would take that so fast. Even if they were bad it'd at least be fun bad rather than The Most Boring Team in the History of Football

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Morby posted:

That play was pretty rad. Glad Gurley went to the NFL, but it seems like Chubb will pick up where he left off.

Did Schotty ever coach at the college level or was he always in the NFL? It seems like he might be able to adjust his offense to the college game and make it work. Surely Richt will let him do his thing without interfering.

He was a TE coach for USC for one season according to Wikipedia.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

I would take that so fast. Even if they were bad it'd at least be fun bad rather than The Most Boring Team in the History of Football

For the low, low price of 8.4m, he can be yours.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

KKKLIP ART posted:

Lambert has D-I skills and size, and now that he's away from our terrible head coach and offensive coordinator maybe he'll become a respectable QB.

On the other hand, he wasn't even able to win the starting job at the dumpster fire that is Virginia Football. YMMV.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

If shotty only wants passes that stay within 5 yards of the LOS Lambert will fit in fine.

I believe this is more Steve loving Fairchild's issue than Lambert's.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

paperchaseguy posted:

UVA Football man, it's only gentlemanly to allow the defense the chance to rally for a tackle short of the sticks.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

paperchaseguy posted:

Lambert has D-I skills and size, and now that he's away from our terrible head coach and offensive coordinator maybe he'll become a respectable QB.

On the other hand, he wasn't even able to win the starting job at the dumpster fire that is Virginia Football. YMMV.

Counterpoint: Brian Schottenheimer

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

kayakyakr posted:

It'll be pretty nice if it ever gets finished.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

They need to lay some type of removable hard surface along the field edge a few times a year so I can go rollerskating (preferably while Funkytown blasts over the stadium PA).

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
How much vomited four loko did it take to turn it that color

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Raku posted:

How much vomited four loko did it take to turn it that color

Lulz.

Seriously though, they killed all the stadium lights and just broadcast a purple screen on the endzone big-screen and that was the result.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MShGrB9-mVM

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Rumor is Jimbo Fisher is getting a divorce because his wife had an affair with her personal trainer, former Florida Gator Taylor Jacobs.

Nothing concrete yet but god that would be fantastic.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jun 4, 2015

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Crotch Bat posted:

Rumor is Jimbo Fisher is getting a divorce because his wife had an affair with her personal trainer, former Florida Gator Taylor Jacobs.

that's actually really sad

lol

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Crotch Bat posted:

I kinda think you might need to step away from college football rivalries for a bit if you think a family getting torn apart is in any way "fantastic."

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

JonathonSpectre posted:

I kinda think you might need to step away from college football rivalries for a bit if you think a family getting torn apart is in any way "fantastic."

nope

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.
Oh, Stadium chat? Don't mind if I do!

Davis Wade Stadium pre expansion:

New this past season (Currently undefeated at home since completion):

Yeah, it's beautiful. Not bad for the second oldest on campus stadium. Suck a dick, Bobby Dodd.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

JonathonSpectre posted:

and I kinda think after 12 years on SA you should know better.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

something something guy named jimbo, something something west virginia, something something married to his sister or cousin something something gonna make family reunions awkward

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

JonathonSpectre posted:

Yea how dare him laugh at someone's misfortunes on a comedy website.

You must be real fun at parties.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

All hail general cat?

(or she'll rip your head off and eat it)

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

vyst posted:

Yea how dare him laugh at someone's misfortunes on a comedy website.

You must be real fun at parties.

Hahahha, a divorce involving young kids. Classic!!!

Ehud posted:

that's actually really sad

lol

Now this is actually funny!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The Georgia Tech-Boston College game in Ireland in 2016 is back on after having previously been cancelled, with a change of venue. It's now going to be in Aviva Stadium instead of Croke Park.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jun 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I just wish it was Jameis.

• Locked thread