Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Inco posted:

Why was there a random target on the wall above the door for the multi ground takedown at 13:55?

I think its possible one of the goons got stuck in the wall. Because that happened to me. I had to leave and fast travel to reset the area and then come back, because you can't use doors when there's still enemies around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

bassguitarhero posted:

So the next part of the game is why I think Origins has the best writing of the series thus far. Once you hit the point of no return, I really *wanted* to play all the way through to the end. Except for a big fight near the end, I was pretty much locked in all the way to the credits.

Though I also consider Origins' writing to be the Arkham series' best, I consider the next part to rather be the best set piece of the game - perhaps even the series so far - instead.

SonicRulez posted:

I don't understand Batman's conclusion that he has to go after Firefly. He clearly said he won't arm the bombs until Bats shows up. The fire is something he can't put out anyway, he's not Superman. So whatever collateral damage he's already caused/will cause is going to happen regardless of Batman being there or not. He should've just left it up to Gordon, ran home to intercept Bane, and then flew back to kick Firefly's teeth in. Bad call, Bats.

I disagree with you myself. Firefly said he's going to start executing the hostages if the police try anything and we know the police are trying something right now w/Gordon in command. These two pieces of info are given in succession. Firefly going pyro on anything on top of the bridge definitely elevates the risk as well as the swat crew apparently being a trigger happy bunch. It makes sense for this Batman to drop by there first imho.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Oblivion4568238 posted:

I think its possible one of the goons got stuck in the wall. Because that happened to me. I had to leave and fast travel to reset the area and then come back, because you can't use doors when there's still enemies around.

So if Scruffy hadn't done the multi ground takedown, he would have had to restart from a checkpoint? This loving game.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
This episode is going to run a bit long, but I really couldn't find a good place to cut it! So here's the bridge in all of its glory.

Battle On The Big Bridge/Polsy

New character profile: Harvey Bullock

Predator Challenge: Wrecking Crew/Polsy with Batman, Dark Knight Of The Round Table

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Wait, so Bane goes to Wayne Manor, discovers the Batcave, trashes the place and then... leaves? And then Joker just happens to take over Blackgate prison just after?

I would think that Batman would have measures against villains reaching the Batcave. There may be a time when they attack Wayne Manor, but surely they can't just waltz into the cave and do incredible damage so easily?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

If you drop by the batcave just before the point of no return, Bruce tells Alfred he came by to doublecheck that the security systems were online and active in case of attack. They were.

Either those systems did absolutely nothing or perhaps some of the cave's destruction was collateral damage done by the security systems fruitlessly attacking Bane. In any case the game never addresses that oddity.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Spoilers: Batman is an idiot. I'll have some more detailed words on Firefly later but for now I'll just say that he's a goddamn hero of Gotham for getting rid of that loving bridge.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Gotta say, I do appreciate how Batman's voicelines are labelled as 'Bruce Wayne' in the subtitles for this part.

I'm not as happy with the addition of more Joker, especially considering it is essentially 'Arkham Asylum .5'

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Now, I know Discendo Vox will probably say the Firefly boss fight is a lot like Poison Ivy's and it is. Fundamentally, you generally just spam Glue Grenades, Batarangs, and the Batclaw in that order.

But, something about the fight just clicks for me even though I usually hate the gadget spam bosses. The combination of the music, the battle steadily shifting from one edge of the bridge to the other, and Firefly's generally wacky lines ("You say arsonist, I say arsoniste" :allears:) just made it an overall treat for me. The whole sequence of Batman and Gordon ending up working together for the first time also felt like a great narrative nod towards the future and would've worked well as the end of their interaction in this game.

Granted, it would've been neat if the whole fight had been an aerial sequence like the QTE bit at the end. Maybe in Arkham Knight.

Hellioning posted:

Gotta say, I do appreciate how Batman's voicelines are labelled as 'Bruce Wayne' in the subtitles for this part.

That's easily the best subtle touch in the game.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Flyfire has a stupid voice.

Also I was hoping for a fire version of Mr. Freeze and The Fury/NED from MGS3(weird fire face optional)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

But Firefly basically IS The Fury from MGS3. Just with Sundowner's voice.

Unless you meant a similar kind of boss fight. That would've been neat.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Now, I know Discendo Vox will probably say the Firefly boss fight is a lot like Poison Ivy's and it is. Fundamentally, you generally just spam Glue Grenades, Batarangs, and the Batclaw in that order.

You can also use the Concussion Detonator (instead of using the glue grenade/batarang spam). That was the only place where it was useful.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I love Firefly if only because he clearly loves what he does. (You say lipbalm, I say Napalm)

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Magical healing electricity. And Alfred's back on his feet within minutes. Sigh.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It would have been cool if they actually killed Alfred here, to show the young psychopath that his actions have consequences and that no matter how hard he tries or how swole he gets, people are going to get hurt in his Crusade for Petty Justice.

But no, that would have been too ballsy for this game. Better play it safe, I guess.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

nekoxid posted:

You can also use the Concussion Detonator (instead of using the glue grenade/batarang spam). That was the only place where it was useful.

Other gadgets work too like smoke bombs and the reverse batarang iirc but unfortunately other gadgets like the disruptor and remote claw don't do anything of note.

It'd have been nice if the boss encouraged the use of the whole belt since it's totally possible to down him with just batarangs and grapnel attacks.

LoonShia posted:

It would have been cool if they actually killed Alfred here, to show the young psychopath that his actions have consequences and that no matter how hard he tries or how swole he gets, people are going to get hurt in his Crusade for Petty Justice.

It'd be amazing if they did this and just made no explanationfor why Alfred reappears in later games.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

LoonShia posted:

But no, that would have been too ballsy for this game. Better play it safe, I guess.

Also, it's a prequel. Alfred is in Arkham City.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Just play a clip of Solaire saying, "The flow of time itself is convoluted".

It could an alternate universe or something, I don't know. Just something to help with Batman's character growth.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I personally didn't mind Alfred coming back to life at all, in a real world sense it was probably like a one shot in a million that Bruce's desperate attempts to revive him with a makeshift defibrillator. In a narrative sense it's still quite solid too, and it isn't like Bruce is all just like "oh good, now lemme go kick rear end in blackgate". Had Alfred not survived, he probably would have still been moping in the batcave.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm pretty sure this Batman would become even more obsessed and violent without Alfred.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I'm pretty sure the majority of Batman would. Has Alfred's death been a story yet? Feels like an obvious hook, but I can't actually remember hearing about it.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
Oh christ, I think I just figured out how the Bane thing's going to wrap up. (spoiler tags in case I'm right)

In their final showdown, Bane doses himself with the TN formula thing to guarantee victory, but it wipes all his knowledge that Bruce Wayne is Batman because the never fixed the memory-wiping side-effects

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Edminster posted:

Oh christ, I think I just figured out how the Bane thing's going to wrap up. (spoiler tags in case I'm right)
Either that or he ODs on Venom, leading to the same result.

I have to say, I regret that I stopped playing just before getting to Bird since the Bridge section looked fun to play through, including Firefly's boss fight.

radintorov fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 3, 2015

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I'm pretty sure the majority of Batman would. Has Alfred's death been a story yet? Feels like an obvious hook, but I can't actually remember hearing about it.

Not in the main continuity for like 50 years, I don't think. Back before Adam West Batman became a hit, Alfred was (heroically) killed off to make room for Aunt Harriet without too much angst - not appropriate for the Batman of the time - I think this was done for the sake of more cast diversity. Comics featuring Aunt Harriet as the caretaker mostly included zany hijinks where Bruce and Dick go to ridiculous lengths to hide their secret personas while Aunt Harriet, in turn goes to even more ridiculous lengths to prove her suspicions. The popularity of the Adam West show encouraged comics to bring back Alfred. IIRC Alfred just wills himself out of the grave out of sheer loyalty to Bruce* :stare:

*Aw shucks, I was only half-right according to wikipedia

hard counter fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 3, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

hard counter posted:

IIRC Alred just wills himself out of the grave out of sheer loyalty to Bruce :stare:

I could believe that.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Edminster posted:

In their final showdown, Bane doses himself with the TN formula thing to guarantee victory, but it wipes all his knowledge that Bruce Wayne is Batman because the never fixed the memory-wiping side-effects

It'll also make him an idiot to better fit with Rocksteady's version of the character.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I could believe that.

A Wayne butler who can't raise his young charge, routinely repair and clean the batcave, Wayne manor, and the estate, all while also providing background information and reconnaissance, emotional support for an entire cast of semi-crazy costume wearing heroes, hold his own against a slew of their supervillains and minions, have meals regularly prepared singlehandedly for the whole cadre of superheroes and any dinner guests, keep track of the Young Master's playboy civilian lifestyle and charity portfolio, all on his own and will himself back to life to continue serving his adopted son/master and his adopted family simply isn't worth his salt.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Well, it wasn't quite that simple. It did result in Alfred being for a time a supervillian.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

grandalt posted:

Well, it wasn't quite that simple. It did result in Alfred being for a time a supervillian.

Wouldn't this result in all of Gotham being destroyed? He's like the one level-headed, competent person in the entire city. He would wreck everyone else were he their enemy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Night10194 posted:

He's like the one level-headed, competent person in the entire city.

Gordon seems like he has his head screwed on straight, just understandably reluctant to trust one of the masked psychopaths running around the city.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

grandalt posted:

What was his identity and gimmick?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cythereal posted:

Gordon seems like he has his head screwed on straight, just understandably reluctant to trust one of the masked psychopaths running around the city.

Yeah, but Gordon eventually gives in to completely trusting Batman, which is a terrible idea. Then again, I suppose Alfred makes the same mistake.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
He called himself 'The Outsider, liked to use indirect things, other people and objects to go after Batman and Robin. Which, considering he gained telekinesis was fairly easy. He liked to taunt them over the radio, it was quite a shock for them to find out that Alfred was both alive, and trying to kill them.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
That Locomotive password you used on that riddler box is a reference to the episode of BTAS where the Riddler caught Batman and Comissioner Gordon in a VR simulation. One of the doors in the "hall of riddles" he was stuck in was labeled "Crazy Intent". Which, when opened, turned into a LocoMotive.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Also the BTAS batmobile appears in the screens

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Well, here's where I drat near had to quit playing; the scripting on Firefly managed to decide to break at that bit where Batman jumps to a ledge as a helicopter gets shot down (28:15 in this video). For whatever reason the game refused to fire that scripting for the longest time for me, which meant when Batman jumped to that part he hung off of, he became stuck on it and could do nothing else. Add in the game autosaved as I entered the area and wouldn't let me leave and re-enter, and reloading didn't fix it, and I was starting to suspect I had to delete my whole save (which at this point of the game you can imagine how much play time we were talking about). Fortunately apparently closing the game and restarting my computer seemed to fix things, but it made it utterly impossible for me to like Firefly considering I spent the whole fight wondering if the stupid thing would lock up again. So this is my least favorite part of the game, but mainly due to personal headaches with it, count me as someone who disagrees emphatically with the "no bugs in bridge area" statement ;).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

This is about the only area of the game I never really had any bugs, personally.

Well, aside from one incident where a guy during the pre-Firefly fight got stuck in the background, forcing me to restart that fight.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I know it's a comic book videogame and all, but Batman electro-punching his butler back to life just seemed comically absurd.

Demonbait
Apr 14, 2014
I feel it's a better alternative than batman finding and then subsequently chucking Alfred into a Lazarus pit.

Or buying a new butler from the butler store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
Actually, if you watch closely, you will see that what brings Alfred back is not the shock treatment from the electrogloves, but Batman hitting the sternum with the bottom of his fist. This is a medical procedure called the precordial thump.

It probably wouldn't actually help Alfred, depending on what exactly his heart is doing, but it's real!

• Locked thread