Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Yesterday after going through one of the adventures in the Lords of Nal Hutta book my group won a gladiatorial arena by beating a platoon of Super Battle Droids in a dance off.

This system is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

jivjov posted:

If I remember correctly, you can never fully get rid of an Obligation. It can be bought down to 1 point, but it will always still exist.

For something related to a nemesis, even if you kill him, surely he's got friends/family/associates that wouldn't be too happy to see him gone, so an obligation related to him would start referring instead to those people.

And yeah, a Wanted by the Empire or Debt to Clan has a really good reason to always stick around, but it can fluctuate. Did you just help the Clan out? Then they're more willing to let you keep to your own devices for a few weeks; obligation goes down. Did you just do something big and dramatic that pissed off the Emperor? They're going to be on a manhunt for you for a while; Obligation goes up.

Not quite correct; you cannot remove ALL Obligation from an EOTE character, but particular Obligations can be removed completely so long as you have others (and EOTE characters are really kind of expected to have Obligation migrate up and down a lot and getting new ones). Personally I'd also suggest letting you remove all Obligation if your campaign moves far enough away from the "edge"; for a movie example I could easily see the last of Han Solo's Obligation going up in smoke with Jabba and his "character" going to Duty only (with quite a bit of it saved up considering he jumped to General).

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/6/3/flaunt-your-talent/

The Diplomat signature abilities own. The first stops a battle and starts talks. The second lets you 'read' everyone in a talk.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Insight feels like a really awful one to spring on your GM: "hey I know everything about everyone here, tell me"

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Iceclaw posted:

Insight feels like a really awful one to spring on your GM: "hey I know everything about everyone here, tell me"

precog powers remain lovely to DM for, news at 11.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Iceclaw posted:

It doesn't seem that bad to me because by the time a character can get to these talents they are going to be able to get that info anyway with lots of deception/skulduggery/perception checks anyway so wrapping it up in one roll will save time.

Plus if the GM knows about it they can prep and just hand you a sheet of paper with everyone's motivations on it when you make the roll. Using all that info is going to be hard work for the player.

Its the other one that seems a bit much. Hey hey Mr Grand Moff lets us all put down the turbo-lasers (we you put down the turbo-lasers we don't have any) while we talk (and compute the hyperspace jump).

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

How are these rolls likely to work? I'd say you could justifiably make it harder to get Vader to stop force-choking you than, say, getting Wicket to put down his spear.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hulk Smash! posted:

How are these rolls likely to work? I'd say you could justifiably make it harder to get Vader to stop force-choking you than, say, getting Wicket to put down his spear.

Nemesis-level monsters have a rank or two in Adversary, upping the diff of checks involving them. For guys like Vader, Adversary 3 is maybe even thinkable.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Everblight posted:

Nemesis-level monsters have a rank or two in Adversary, upping the diff of checks involving them. For guys like Vader, Adversary 3 is maybe even thinkable.

Adversary only works on combat checks, although I'd assume Vader would have enough discipline/cool that any social checks are going to have a pile of challenge dice even without adversary.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Flame112 posted:

Adversary only works on combat checks, although I'd assume Vader would have enough discipline/cool that any social checks are going to have a pile of challenge dice even without adversary.
Nobody's Fool is basically social Adversary IIRC.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
Hey guys! I'm looking forward to getting the Star Wars RPGs, and was curious as to how viable it is to run campaigns and stories during the old republic.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Yggdrassil posted:

Hey guys! I'm looking forward to getting the Star Wars RPGs, and was curious as to how viable it is to run campaigns and stories during the old republic.

Perfectly viable. Rename enemies and ships to their closest old republic equivalents but keep the same stat blocks, and you're good to go.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

So at some point in time in the future I want to run this for my group and we use Roll20. I know there's a script that can be used for dice rolling, but I understand it's for "mentors" only so I want to make rollable tables. Does anyone know where I would be able to get pictures of the dice to use on said rollable table? I briefly tried working with this picture:

but smart lasso was not cooperating and I'm no expert at image editing.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I had a link but it's broken now. I will say rollable tables are a nightmare and the script + character sheet are well worth the $10 a month. You could even have your players pay your sub.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

alg posted:

I had a link but it's broken now. I will say rollable tables are a nightmare and the script + character sheet are well worth the $10 a month. You could even have your players pay your sub.

What makes you say rollable tables are a nightmare? My group is using one for hit locations in Deadlands right now and I'll be using them for The One Ring in a couple weeks and it seems to work alright.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Typing in rolls each time and interpreting them vs clicking a button on a character sheet and having the framework do the math on the roll, that's all.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

alg posted:

Typing in rolls each time and interpreting them vs clicking a button on a character sheet and having the framework do the math on the roll, that's all.

I think it depends on the character sheet because the sheet for One Ring game I'm setting up does exactly that while still using tables

alg
Mar 14, 2007

They are printing crit decks:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/6/4/hard-knocks/

Not sure how useful these are for me since I play on Roll20. But they are pretty nicely made

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
We've only gotten one crit in my games so far, and it was that the ship was jostled.

Am I not throwing enough at my players?

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
As both a player and a GM I rarely see crits used either, and kind of doubt the usefulness of that product. Usually when there is a crit, it's because a player activated it on a minion to instantly take it out of the fight.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I've just been making combat in my games much more cinematic and less structured; with these decks I may actually try some more RAW combat.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Christ, back when I was playing I used to get a crit on me at least once every game. A hell of a lot more toward the end game when the rocket tag had accelerated to ludicrous speed.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I feel like maybe "Critical" is a bad word to use though too, because it makes them sound way worse than they are. Yeah, repeated crits will kill you. But looking at the personal crit table, everything 1-95 is fairly minor and temporary. 96-100 is Crippled but that can be "healed" and then finally 101-105 you're at maimed where you could start to lose a limb.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Are people not adding the +10 from previous crits (that never go away without a Resilience check) and from Vicious on weapons? My party was staring down a Rancor that was absolutely going to TPK them until they figured out they just had to tag it with a few crits then let the droid bounty hunter with Vicious 2 as an attribute hit it with his Vicious 1 gun and roll at +60 to blow out its brain pan.

140+ is just dead-dead.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
I guess I do play and run games that are made up of people who aren't actually very good at combat, so my own experience is probably skewed. My own character is the only one who really has the capacity to be doling them out, and I just seem to be really bad at rolling advantages somehow.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Aside from handing somebody card with those critical effects on it (so they can remember it), this looks like something I would find more frustrating to use. If they made them like WFRP3e wound cards -- you draw at random and keep that effect until you heal it -- that would make sense. Reprinting a chart in deck form when you have to roll dice to get the result is...suboptimal. Maybe there could be some optional rule that you get the next card up in the deck if the one you roll is already on the table, assigned to somebody else?

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
Crit seems to be something you have invested in (low crit weapon with viscous and talents) or you don't bother unless its situational like the rancor example (much like melee in general). The crit table doesn't start getting good until the 70's so you need to reliably get to those numbers or autofire/blast is normally a better option.

Unless it's a minion then crit just rocks

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

GM'd for the first time with the Edge of Empire beginner set. Had to scale it up for our huge 6 PC group, but everyone had a lot of fun running through it. Still getting to know the dice system, but it meant for a hell of a lot less mathematics than when our group played Traveler.

Any advice for running a game with a larger group (6-7)? Seems like the game is better balanced for smaller groups.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Any advice for running a game with a larger group (6-7)? Seems like the game is better balanced for smaller groups.

Let the characters diversify and specialize. Not everyone needs to be good for combat. I mean, C-3PO and R2-D2 were drat useless in combat.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Krysmphoenix posted:

Let the characters diversify and specialize. Not everyone needs to be good for combat. I mean, C-3PO and R2-D2 were drat useless in combat.

This, plus splitting the party to accomplish two separate objectives is a viable option.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

jivjov posted:

This, plus splitting the party to accomplish two separate objectives is a viable option.

Yeah, this kind of happened organically when our charmer droid (ex-pleasurebot, don't ask) slipped out during a firefight in thehangar bay. He didn't have a comlink and none of the rest of the party noticed he was gone. He went to the starport control center and managed to convince the flight controllers that there was a bomb planted in the building. When he got in contact with the rest of the party they flew the ship outside the tower window and he barely made the jump onto the ship as it was taking off.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Speaking of splitting the party:

I'm thinking of having my party members attend a funeral. They're currently working for Jareal Joneekree, head of an Arkanian company known as Liyanomiks, who became CEO after the previous CEO and a previous Arkanian senator, her uncle, died. The PCs returned to her the body and the body of his killer, the trandoshan bounty hunter Trex from the beginner game.

I want to introduce them to a bit of the Arkanian politicking going on, because it seems like something they'd enjoy. I'm going to have the funeral take place on Arkanian in Adascopolis, the capital. I want it to be a whole hurrah sort of thing. So I'm wondering if you guys have any idea how a funeral would go where respect for the dead is one of the things that's left almost wholly to the wayside.

Also, I'm going to have the guy that hired Trex to kill the uncle/senator, Besgos the Hutt, show up at the funeral with his whole retinue. Since it'd be very gauche to attack the guy, there can be some confrontations there as the PCs jump to his defense. This is basically all just a ruse for Besgos to give Besgos both an alibi and direct blame (because seriously, who wouldn't blame him?) when a massive, quick-moving thing is later seen attacking Jarael. That massive, quick moving thing isn't Besgos, though. It's his wife, Tuulga, who I'm going to put in that nifty Hutt power armor that makes them fast and silent and have her basically be a stealthy, terrifying Hutt ninja. There is literally no reason to do this other than I think it sounds neat. :) Also, the idea of a 6BRA, 3AGI Hutt running around stealthily cutting people in half with vamblades is just loving cool.

So how much should I put in here? Make up different Arkanian houses that're going to be playing the field? Or just remember the fact that players are going to ignore half of the poo poo I write anyway, so I could just make it all up on the spot?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Swags posted:

Or just remember the fact that players are going to ignore half of the poo poo I write anyway, so I could just make it all up on the spot?

Regardless of the game or the context, this is pretty much always the right answer.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I want to start playing this system, probably Edge of the Empire, with a group that has been mostly about D&D for a few years now. We play pretty regularly, and all of us love Star Wars and like the idea of running this game, but is the Beginner's box the way to go? I definitely want to try the system before I go to town on a core rulebook, but does the whole pregenerated character thing work? Is there enough content there? I guess I'd need the dice anyways, so for 10$ it's not too much to ask, I'm just asking if that's the best way to get into the game.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

BottleKnight posted:

I want to start playing this system, probably Edge of the Empire, with a group that has been mostly about D&D for a few years now. We play pretty regularly, and all of us love Star Wars and like the idea of running this game, but is the Beginner's box the way to go? I definitely want to try the system before I go to town on a core rulebook, but does the whole pregenerated character thing work? Is there enough content there? I guess I'd need the dice anyways, so for 10$ it's not too much to ask, I'm just asking if that's the best way to get into the game.

How much content are you looking for? If you want to play a campaign you will definitely need a core book. You can play a few adventures with the beginner box.

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

Is the adventure in the back of the EotE beta book any good? Crates of Krayts? I haven't GMed that much in the past, and the last RP group I was part of was quite a few years ago, so I was thinking to stock up on as many premades as possible before I start making up my own stuff, and I can't imagine EotE beta books are needed much nowadays.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

alg posted:

How much content are you looking for? If you want to play a campaign you will definitely need a core book. You can play a few adventures with the beginner box.

I am a very lazy DM so my thoughts were

1. Play through beginner box with the pregenerated
2. Get a core rulebook and have everyone roll characters
3. Buy one of the campaign books

Is this a good plan or do neither of the EotE books start at lvl1? I really am new to this so I just want to get my progression charted out, if the guys I play with like this system enough.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I am running a EotE one-shot later this week and have been looking for ideas of what would make a fun short adventure. I have already run the beginner game for a couple of the people who will be playing so I don't want to retread old ground. I think thinking "Escape for Aldaraan" might be fun but I am trying to cast a wider net. Has anyone run any fun self contained heists that could be done a in a session?

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Phrosphor posted:

I am running a EotE one-shot later this week and have been looking for ideas of what would make a fun short adventure. I have already run the beginner game for a couple of the people who will be playing so I don't want to retread old ground. I think thinking "Escape for Aldaraan" might be fun but I am trying to cast a wider net. Has anyone run any fun self contained heists that could be done a in a session?

I had a team steal a sail barge. You can have them grab the barge from its hangar and try to drive it through narrow city streets, or sneak on board during a party and overwhelm the crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

BottleKnight posted:

I am a very lazy DM so my thoughts were

1. Play through beginner box with the pregenerated
2. Get a core rulebook and have everyone roll characters
3. Buy one of the campaign books

Is this a good plan or do neither of the EotE books start at lvl1? I really am new to this so I just want to get my progression charted out, if the guys I play with like this system enough.

The beginner box starts wherever it starts and has some possibilities for leveling up the pregens a little. The core books give you all the rules for character generation -- it's point buy, not rolling, so they are "level" one to infinity, depending on how much starting XP you give them. You can start them with nothing beyond the starting allotment or go crazy with more powerful characters. The beginner box does make for low-stakes "let's see how this works" and lets players (and the GM) see how various archetypes play out in however it is you're going to run it. You could do the same if you bought the core book and did a one-shot, but then it's more work.