Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Rastor posted:

Here are some pictures of what is believed to be a R9 390X (NOT Fiji) with a hybrid cooler:

http://videocardz.com/56096/powercolor-radeon-r9-390x-devil-pictured

Makes me hopeful that there will be hybrid Fiji bins readily available to be awesome as well as the tippy top model. MSI seems to have partnered with Corsair to deliver a hybrid solution, I think it's pretty safe to say that hybrid coolers are a thing now.

Also, re 2x8 PCIe on the Fury we've seen so far, Zotac's 980ti (with a 1355 MHz clock(!)), the EVGA Classified, Gigabyte G1 Gaming all have 2x8 PCIe connectors and the EVGA Kingpin has 2x8 and another 6 pin feeding it. So cards that draw 250W or so in gaming loads getting twin 8 pins is hardly unprecedented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Filthy Monkey posted:

Yeah, I really do want AMD to remain competitive. If they weren't refreshing their GPU lineup this month, I am sure nvidia would have been happy enough to milk the TitanX a bit longer, or to up the price on the 980ti. Competition is a good thing.

Given the specs, it is possible that the Fiji cards could end up slightly faster than a 980ti, provided that the drivers are as well optimized as nvidia's. In reality though, we know that probably won't be the case.

Really, though, that's all it needs to be: Slightly faster than a 980 Ti.

I do mourn the loss of double-precision on the Titan cards. Could have used one in my CAD rig. Could have consolidated machines. =(

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Rastor posted:

Here are some pictures of what is believed to be a R9 390X (NOT Fiji) with a hybrid cooler:

http://videocardz.com/56096/powercolor-radeon-r9-390x-devil-pictured

Didn't think Radeons could get any dumber looking.

Also is the only difference between 290x and 390x really just 4gb vs. 8gb?

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

Bleh Maestro posted:

Didn't think Radeons could get any dumber looking.

Also is the only difference between 290x and 390x really just 4gb vs. 8gb?

It's supposedly an "enhanced" Hawaii but that could just mean higher stock clocks.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

So apparently the 980ti Hybrid stays at 50 C on a sample that hit a 1484 MHz OC. Not bad at all.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Tanreall posted:

It's supposedly an "enhanced" Hawaii but that could just mean higher stock clocks.

If these prices are true I feel bad for all the suckers out there who think they're getting a new card.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Rumors had the 980Ti at $800.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I ordered mine yesterday from Newegg with rush processing and it still hasn't shipped. My guess? Their marketplace sellers threw listings up ASAP to get as many orders as possible and are scrambling around to fill orders. Some of those listings didn't even bother to have pictures for a while! I don't know how strict Newegg is with their sellers but on Amazon they'd be considered late after two days. Then again, depending on your overall sales volume you can just ignore a bunch of late orders for a few days and make your money. I haven't even gotten my Arkham Knight code and it's the end of the second day. I could play that on my current card while I wait :/.
I'm not a big fan of order status posts, but since you were concerned and we ordered at the same time, here's where mine is at:
  • I got my Arkham Knight code via email
  • Status updated to "Shipped" last night and it says it will be delivered today, despite the fact that I picked slow shipping.
Fingers crossed that they're not lying to me. Also Arkham Knight isn't out yet.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm not a big fan of order status posts, but since you were concerned and we ordered at the same time, here's where mine is at:
  • Status updated to "Shipped" last night and it says it will be delivered today, despite the fact that I picked slow shipping.

I ordered a factory over clocked EVGAc980 ti from Newegg yesterday afternoon since I'm too impatient to wait for aftermarket models (I figure I can get that EVGA hybrid cooler later if I need it) and I just got an email indicating that my order was ready for pickup at their CA warehouse about an hour ago. Looks like they actually do have some cards for sale after all.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Same thing here.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

xthetenth posted:

Rumors had the 980Ti at $800.

Rumors also had it at $750 and $650, the later ended up being true so who knows what the prices will really end up being?

Though if that price line up ends up true it will be really hilarious in an absurdist way, I mean, AMD can't be that stupid, can they?

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thanks - I had an update last night that it was shipping but have not received my code. I was told to expect it by noon at the latest when I chatted them up yesterday. I've had bad experiences in the past with not being able to receive my codes so I'm contacting their support again. I should expect the card tomorrow and we'll see if it really holds up at higher res!

Edit: In case anyone else is running into an issue with their code on Newegg, here's what the chat rep and I eventually figured out. You have to change your email to a new address, log out and then log back in. Go to Digital Library and request the code to be re-sent to your email. If you request the code after changing your email but without logging out and back in, you won't receive anything.

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 3, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Rumors also had it at $750 and $650, the later ended up being true so who knows what the prices will really end up being?

Though if that price line up ends up true it will be really hilarious in an absurdist way, I mean, AMD can't be that stupid, can they?

Prices are subject to serious change even at the last minute. I doubt AMD is that stupid, but I also wonder what would make them think those prices were viable even before the Ti came out.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

xthetenth posted:

Prices are subject to serious change even at the last minute. I doubt AMD is that stupid, but I also wonder what would make them think those prices were viable even before the Ti came out.

We don't know if those are in fact prices from AMD.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Also, aren't the 200 series and before TSMC and the new(lol) 300 series GoFlo? Is it possible switching to a better fabricator means that much? I mean, it apparently did for Carrizo, which is how they got a rather massive efficiency improvement despite it being a modification of Kaveri.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

Also, aren't the 200 series and before TSMC and the new(lol) 300 series GoFlo? Is it possible switching to a better fabricator means that much? I mean, it apparently did for Carrizo, which is how they got a rather massive efficiency improvement despite it being a modification of Kaveri.

This is what I hope based on good performance from that process, the chips getting different code names, the lengthy draw-down of 200 series inventory and above all the fact that AMD would have to eat the wafers if they didn't have a way of making them chips to sell. I have no idea if it is actually accurate, but it makes sense for them to do and it does jive with rumors (ha ha everything jives with rumors by this point).

Otherwise, welp, see ya guys next time round.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Welp, guess which boards have the same part IDs on them.

All but confirmed now :shrug:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, the boards being the same is entirely expected. Heck, you've been able to use coolers between generations before because the board layout doesn't change.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

xthetenth posted:

Yeah, the boards being the same is entirely expected. Heck, you've been able to use coolers between generations before because the board layout doesn't change.

Part numbers don't just describe board layout, though, right? They also label the board's contents.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

Part numbers don't just describe board layout, though, right? They also label the board's contents.

Wouldn't it be near fraudulent to just take old stock 290s and relabel them 390s?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FaustianQ posted:

Wouldn't it be near fraudulent to just take old stock 290s and relabel them 390s?

What do you think 9800 GT was? Or R9-280? Rebranding old stock is a time honored part of GPU marketing.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I'm waiting to see someone crack open a 980ti G1 and see if the the 980 G1 blocks are the same.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Twerk from Home posted:

What do you think 9800 GT was? Or R9-280? Rebranding old stock is a time honored part of GPU marketing.

I thought Nvidia put more effort into the 9800 GT? It's 55nm, not 65nm, had a much better BIOS and was binned better (IIRC). I dunno about the R9 280 though, there has to be some differences right?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FaustianQ posted:

Morally or legally? You can have any number of names for the same thing as far as the law cares.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

I thought Nvidia put more effort into the 9800 GT? It's 55nm, not 65nm, had a much better BIOS and was binned better (IIRC). I dunno about the R9 280 though, there has to be some differences right?

9800 GT was basically the 8800 GT iirc. It's important to remember that the 8800 GT itself was the process shrink and didn't actually fit with any of the rest of that generation other than the 512 MB 8800 GTS, not to be confused with the 640 MB or 320 MB 8800 GTS. Basically they called the 9800 GT and GTS the 8800 GT and GTS 512 MB until they had the 9800 GTX ready, at which point they changed the names.

280 I think has a bit of a clock bump but is otherwise a 7970 iirc. Hell of a card, but it's getting a bit old. That's why the AMD cards have different levels of the GCN architecture.

Rebrands generally happen every once in a while though. On the other hand there's examples like the GTX 500 series, which was a reworked 400 series that did much better (especially in power/performance).

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

FaustianQ posted:

I really prefer having multiple names for the same GPU than the same name for different GPUs, though. As mentioned, there were 2 different GPUs that were named "8800GTS", some had a 320-bit bus and some had a 256-bit bus.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

xthetenth posted:

9800 GT was basically the 8800 GT iirc. It's important to remember that the 8800 GT itself was the process shrink and didn't actually fit with any of the rest of that generation other than the 512 MB 8800 GTS, not to be confused with the 640 MB or 320 MB 8800 GTS. Basically they called the 9800 GT and GTS the 8800 GT and GTS 512 MB until they had the 9800 GTX ready, at which point they changed the names.

280 I think has a bit of a clock bump but is otherwise a 7970 iirc. Hell of a card, but it's getting a bit old. That's why the AMD cards have different levels of the GCN architecture.

Rebrands generally happen every once in a while though. On the other hand there's examples like the GTX 500 series, which was a reworked 400 series that did much better (especially in power/performance).

So what we're hoping for is that the RX 200->RX 300 series might be a bit of a 400 to 500 series Fermi? That might justify the prices?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I'm confused, arent those prices generally cheaper than the 200 series msrps? At least the 390x ...

Wait, if you include inflation after 4 years these are a steal :v:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I'm confused, arent those prices generally cheaper than the 200 series msrps? At least the 390x ...

Wait, if you include inflation after 4 years these are a steal :v:

Street price on R9-290 has been under $250 and for the 290X about $280.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Twerk from Home posted:

I really can't see how a rebrand without any improvement is worth an extra 150$. Like, does AMD not know this would come up in reviews?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

I really prefer having multiple names for the same GPU than the same name for different GPUs, though. As mentioned, there were 2 different GPUs that were named "8800GTS", some had a 320-bit bus and some had a 256-bit bus.

Yeah, that was ridiculous, also OEM rebranded parts are the literal spawn of the devil and should burn in hell with the DDR3 cards.

FaustianQ posted:

I really can't see how a rebrand without any improvement is worth an extra 150$. Like, does AMD not know this would come up in reviews?

That's why I'm thinking nobody's that stupid, even Pentium 4 and Bulldozer weren't so obviously a bad idea at their time.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Twerk from Home posted:

Yeah I know. I just mean, msrp to msrp. I know its a pretty moot point, but the price seems to have gone down.

The panic price cuts have been around so long we accept them as the normal price nowadays lol. Oh I'm sorry I mean the "we want to clear the shelves to make way for the new HBM hotness in a month" pricing. For 9 months.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
A 4GB full Tonga (380X) could be mildly interesting, if the price is right. Everything else not so much.
They can stick it of course if it's the harvested 285 chip and not the real deal.

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

Life and music: all about style.

xthetenth posted:

Otherwise might I ask why you want a blower, and will you be swayed by benchmarks showing aftermarket open coolers being much cooler and quieter? Is there a specific build reason for a blower like trying to fit things into a small case?

Yah I'm looking at building a small form factor rig to replace my ps4. I'm still deciding whether I want to go as small as possible like a hadron air or a silverstone sg13, or to go with a larger case to allow better airflow so I can put an aftermarket card in it without frying everything inside the case. A blower seemed like a good compromise for performance vs size?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Don Lapre posted:

Here ya go

I just checked the heavy load test mode option. Should i be running a load on it?

No, that option puts a load on it which may cause the clock to boost. Thanks again!

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm skeptical, because the problems with $200-600 laptops have almost nothing to do with CPU and everything to do with everything else. Terrible screens, garbage hinges, keyboards, and trackpads. If AMD can really shave $200 off the cost of a CPU and let me have a Thinkpad with a 1080p IPS screen, 5ghz wifi, and decent keyboard for $600, they will be my heroes.

The processors are starting to age, but try a used Thinkpad workstation - something in the W510 or W520 vintage probably. Great keyboards, great trackpad, clit mouse, great screens (900p or 1080p), 5ghz compatible, and expandable till the cows come home. My wife and I both have W510s with discrete Quadro FX 880Ms, I just paid $260 for hers a month ago. 4 DIMM sockets and I've tested that it supports at least 20GB of memory (likely 32GB max), and it has USB3, ExpressCard, and an Ultrabay (sadly no longer supports a bay battery). I set them up to boot an SSD and run a HDD in the bay instead of the optical drive. It's not a gaming powerhouse but I have no problem doing standard office/web/video poo poo or even playing TF2 on it with very acceptable framerates. If you run Lubuntu on it it'd probably be very snappy. I can also do CUDA on it (very slowly).

One of these days I'm going to give in and buy the modern equivalent. I think it configured out to around $1300. I don't need the multi-touch, just a single touch on that 3K screen and I'll be over the edge... :circlefap:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 4, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Ak Gara posted:

So from what I can gather, AMD is going for shear power while Nvidia is going more for max efficiency? Which then allows Nvidia to power up even more if the situation calls for it? Right?

So AMD is Vegeta and Nvidia is Goku right after the hyperbolic time chamber?

Everyone actually goes for sheer power. NVIDIA just has enough sheer power that they can underclock their processors to drop the power consumption and still come out on top. That's why Titan Xs overclock so well - AMD has to push it to the limit, NVIDIA can hold back and undervolt/underclock.

Gwaihir posted:

(Ask) me about the pile of poo poo tier HP 8300s sitting across from my desk in our it hallway with power supplies that burst in to flame!
(Or at least decided to let the magic blue smoke go free)

I almost don't know what to do with it actually. I am actually questioning whether it can even run my 7850 at full tilt for a prolonged period. I don't feel comfortable running with the double PSU setup indefinitely, I think that's a recipe for disaster somewhere down the line. Maybe for 2 weeks while I built out my 4690K but I'm not gonna run it for months and months and I never let it run while I slept. It's a decent processor and I really like the internal layout but it's too big and too questionable to turn into a livingroom PC. I don't have enough self-control to work where I play, so maybe like a desk workstation (programming/CUDA work) driving my crappy 4K monitor with something it can handle, like a 750 Ti Superclocked or something.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 4, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

NVIDIA is starring in some B Kung fu movie, fighting AMD with one hand and eating a sandwich with the other.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Thelonious Monk posted:

Yah I'm looking at building a small form factor rig to replace my ps4. I'm still deciding whether I want to go as small as possible like a hadron air or a silverstone sg13, or to go with a larger case to allow better airflow so I can put an aftermarket card in it without frying everything inside the case. A blower seemed like a good compromise for performance vs size?

I think that's probably going to depend on your case pick. A blower might be best, but some of those cases have pretty good airflow, especially if upgraded with decent fans, and the case airflow and an aftermarket cooler will do a better job cooling the card and pulling the heat out of the case. The difference between a 970 and 980 would cover a lot of nice case and good fans with room for savings and next generation it will continue being a good case with good fans. If it has spare 120mm slots waiting for a nice cheaper hybrid cooler may be the best because they can get the heat right out if you set it as an exhaust (which works pretty well on a single card setup).

Subjunctive posted:

NVIDIA is starring in some B Kung fu movie, fighting AMD with one hand and eating a sandwich with the other.

Kung Fury is all Radeon :colbert:.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

xthetenth posted:

I think that's probably going to depend on your case pick. A blower might be best, but some of those cases have pretty good airflow, especially if upgraded with decent fans, and the case airflow and an aftermarket cooler will do a better job cooling the card and pulling the heat out of the case. The difference between a 970 and 980 would cover a lot of nice case and good fans with room for savings and next generation it will continue being a good case with good fans. If it has spare 120mm slots waiting for a nice cheaper hybrid cooler may be the best because they can get the heat right out if you set it as an exhaust (which works pretty well on a single card setup).

I've been thinking about builds like that, and I like the Bitfenix Prodigy M cases for that so far. With the SeaSonic S12G-750 (750W constant, testing shows it cuts out around 850W) you can probably run anything including an SLI Titan X build. If you get some of those hybrid EVGA GPUs you can run a 240mm CPU radiator on the front (intake) and 2x120mm radiators on the top (exhaust). gently caress airflow, get liquid cooling (especially for mATX/mITX builds).

I also agree with the RVZ01 recommendation. I don't think it can do liquid-cooled GPUs, but it doesn't really need them for a single card with its design.

I actually do agree with him that in airflow-constrained cases that blower is possibly a good idea, assuming you can positive-pressure the case to keep a good airflow cycle going. Blowers push air out of the case, aftermarket coolers push air into the case, and that's problematic in a mITX/mATX build. Especially since there's often not a lot of spacing between cards - blowers do better with that situation.

vvv So loving accurate. vvv

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

AMD is in a snuff film and Intel is the killer, with NVIDIA helping dig the grave.