Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I have a love hate relationship with the blaster. I love it because sometimes I am able to score crack shots against people and murder everyone. I hate it because sometimes I can't aim for poo poo and it sucks at inking.

Here is a rare shot of me doing well in this game.

Not pictured, the 20 loss streak after this was taken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Ranked battles are bullshit, you either utterly stomp the other team, or you get stomped, there's literally zero coordination so you have no idea what your teammates are doing, trying to hold the capture zones turns from fun to poo poo when you are utterly alone as your entire team is on the other side of the map trying to snipe while the dudes with rollers clean house down below, it's rapidly turning into a game mode I'll never bother with at this rate.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The roller is overpowered on levels where it's very flat. It probably owns in Port, but it's essentially useless in Mall. It's pretty godly in Underpass if you have someone to back you up with a shooter and a sniper on one of the ledges.

But if someone else has been rolling and Krakens the area, everyone loses.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The paint roller is very strong and can kill you in one hit if you miss your shot with one of the burst weapons but if you use something like the Splattershot Jr its really hard to miss them. The SMGs eat rollers for dinner.

The aerospray's drawback of being inaccurate actually negates its drawback of being weak by surrounding your target with so much ink that they just get trapped in place for you to pepper them to death, which I think is the root of how strong it is in combat. It can fill its Special in 10 seconds of fire, which I think is the fastest any gun can build a special in the game.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

noirstronaut posted:

The roller is overpowered on levels where it's very flat. It probably owns in Port, but it's essentially useless in Mall. It's pretty godly in Underpass if you have someone to back you up with a shooter and a sniper on one of the ledges.

But if someone else has been rolling and Krakens the area, everyone loses.

I find the roller is most overpowered in saltspray rig. If I run straight for the far end of the map with all the shipping crates I can usually hold the whole area for the entire game.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Fairly certain it does. I can frequently see enemies on my map respawning when I don't have recon personally.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't, when an opponent is covered a bit in your color ink they show up on the map. Ask Judd, he'll back me up on this.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Lemming posted:

I'm pretty sure it doesn't, when an opponent is covered a bit in your color ink they show up on the map. Ask Judd, he'll back me up on this.

I always thought this was just a teammate having line of sight on someone but them attacking them makes a LOT more sense

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
I played my first dozen or so rounds in Splat Zones and wow, I wasn't expecting the scoring system to be pretty much all or nothing. You either get twice the score you get in normal games, or you get nothing. Of course, the games are way more fun, so bonuses all around.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Silentman0 posted:

I played my first dozen or so rounds in Splat Zones and wow, I wasn't expecting the scoring system to be pretty much all or nothing. You either get twice the score you get in normal games, or you get nothing. Of course, the games are way more fun, so bonuses all around.

It's only all or nothing in a knockout. I've been in quite a few matches where neither team is fully in control at the end of the match, and we each get something. Think it might be when a match goes into overtime? It's hard to tell because it's so chaotic...

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Splat Zone in Overpass is pretty brutal. If you're not quick, you are in a serious disadvantage because they can essentially lock you out of the center area. Better know your specials!

I made this

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

noirstronaut posted:

Can an American use Japanese characters in their ingame name?

Japanese systems are the only ones with the Japanese IME. Other systems don't have it, so they can't. So unless you import one, no.

Rexroom posted:

いいえ、バカが偉人さん。

I was not sure what the gently caress you were going for here, because that's wrong on multiple levels. So I threw it into Google search to see if I was having a :thejoke: moment and not getting it, and I saw this

And I legit laughed out loud at my office.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Drastic Actions posted:

I was not sure what the gently caress you were going for here, because that's wrong on multiple levels. So I threw it into Google search to see if I was having a :thejoke: moment and not getting it, and I saw this

And I legit laughed out loud at my office.

I think that's what they were going for, and the い got turned into some random kanji.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

And for those of us who aren't polyglots?

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

It might have been a typo or an alternate pronunciation or something. 偉人 is pronounced "ijin" and means "great man" according to Google Translate. 外人 is pronounced "gaijin" and means "foreigner". Also 外人 is apparently politically incorrect and you can't say it on television.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

oopsie rock posted:

It's only all or nothing in a knockout. I've been in quite a few matches where neither team is fully in control at the end of the match, and we each get something. Think it might be when a match goes into overtime? It's hard to tell because it's so chaotic...

Yeah, but less than 100 points is pocket change, they might as well have given nothing. I think it gave me 17 once.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
So does anyone know if these upcoming lobbies will let you choose which gamemode you wanna play? I haven't even seen this tower thing people talked about.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Flytrap posted:

So does anyone know if these upcoming lobbies will let you choose which gamemode you wanna play? I haven't even seen this tower thing people talked about.

That tower thing isn't out yet.

Just took delivery on the amiibos. These things are great. Wanna get into those special missions, but I have a few left to do on the original campaign.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I really hate the clothing system in this game. I want to be a slave to fashion, not min-maxing abilities.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I really hate the clothing system in this game. I want to be a slave to fashion, not min-maxing abilities.

well good news most buffs are pretty minor!

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Hit Rank B in the last match before the map switch just now :getin:

The .96 Gal has no right being this good. What does the Deco version come with? The Sprinkler is nice, but I'd like a more offensive special than just the Echolocator

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Very few of the abilities even matter. All damage up and defense up do is counteract each other. Swim speed is noticeable, so are the incidental ones like ninja squid, stealth jump and so on. The ink saver abilities do basically nothing. The abilities that have noticeable effects have extremely harsh diminishing returns, making stacking abilities an exercise in futility. Go crazy and be a fashion slave, squiddo.

vvv oh yeah, tenacity is super good. Bet it'll see a nerf.

Sade fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 3, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Bread Set Jettison posted:

well good news most buffs are pretty minor!

The problem is that some buffs are not. There's a reason a lot of people are sporting gas masks. (Tenacity is not a poo poo buff)

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
The Blaster is no good and I hate it.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The problem is that some buffs are not. There's a reason a lot of people are sporting gas masks. (Tenacity is not a poo poo buff)

And Stealth Jump is pretty awesome in Splat Zone play.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Other than primary abilities maybe, don't worry too much, yeah. After the first splatfest you should be able to max the slots for all the gear you like, even if it's all one-star stuff, and reroll the abilities a few times afterward. Be the most fashionable squid-kid you can be if you want.

Caerulius
Jun 23, 2007

This was a waste of $5.
That's mostly because the tower mode doesn't exist yet.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Caerulius posted:

That's mostly because the tower mode doesn't exist yet.

Do we know when it's coming?

Also, what's the next thing that's opening up? The Cat Domination event, right?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Did some more testing:

Multiple Ink Recovery Up's (while in ink) let's you refill less than a second faster.
Multiple Ink Saver (Mains) can extend your spray for up to 10 seconds more.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Icedude posted:

Hit Rank B in the last match before the map switch just now :getin:

The .96 Gal has no right being this good. What does the Deco version come with? The Sprinkler is nice, but I'd like a more offensive special than just the Echolocator

Seeker and Inkstrike, it's good

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I prioritize stacking speed buffs gotta go fast

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
More a slave to fashion than stats. Tried to take the unchanging shorts into consideration.

Current look:

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Icedude posted:

I've been all about the Big Gal the past couple of days. The range and power on it are crazy, and lots of people don't know how to deal with the range. I got 19 kills with it one round and felt pretty cool. While it may not be very flashy, the Echolocator is a pretty great offensive option on the .96, since if you know where someone is, you can kill them way before they can kill you. The .96's set is exactly I would pick for it, and that's lucky because there is no Deco version or equivalent.

dragon enthusiast posted:

Seeker and Inkstrike, it's good
That's the .52 Deco. It's a very nice set, but it lacks the range that makes the .96 so great.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Roland Jones posted:

Other than primary abilities maybe, don't worry too much, yeah. After the first splatfest you should be able to max the slots for all the gear you like, even if it's all one-star stuff, and reroll the abilities a few times afterward. Be the most fashionable squid-kid you can be if you want.
Wait, you can reroll abilities? How does that work, that'd fix all my complaints.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

dragon enthusiast posted:

Seeker and Inkstrike

oh my god. I need that RIGHT NOW. I'm going to be so OP it isn't even funny :allears:

edit: oh, it's the .52 and not the .96? Ah well, still a drat good gun either way. Hits hard and keeps you out of the range of Rollers and Aerosprays, but now with added comedy Seeker snipes and the emergency timer stopper button

Icedude fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 3, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Wait, you can reroll abilities? How does that work, that'd fix all my complaints.

Hit level 20 and talk to Spyke. He'll add a slot to any piece of gear for 30k. When there's 3 slots 30k will instead reroll all 3 of those bonus abilities but the main ability (big picture) won't change.

My bobble hat has 3 slots now for example and is the same as the gas mask with tenacity so I can actually look good while I fight.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TechnoSyndrome posted:

The same super shells that add new slots to gear can also be used to reroll the random abilities, yeah. At level 20 you can buy these for 30k points, while after a splatfest you should get a lot provided you actually participated. Even if your team doesn't win the overall event I think you can score enough to max a full set of equipment and reroll each one two or three times if you play enough.

As stated, it doesn't change the preset ability but all the sub abilities get switched out.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 3, 2015

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Szmitten posted:

Did some more testing:

Multiple Ink Recovery Up's (while in ink) let's you refill less than a second faster.
Multiple Ink Saver (Mains) can extend your spray for up to 10 seconds more.

Ink recovery lets you use more sub weapons

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Anime Curator posted:

The Blaster is no good and I hate it.
the blaster actually owns and the custom blaster owns harder

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i ran into a guy last night with a blaster and he was one shotting me all over the place. im surprised i dont see it more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I've been owning bones with the blaster, it one hits if your aim is good and two hits if it's not. Great for area control too, people see the explosion and tend to back off

• Locked thread