Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Q2 2016 Crusader Kings II: Ngathi Impi!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)

Funky Valentine posted:

Warrior: Bunch of +health events, prestige out the rear end, Dueling fools, chance to get Strong, Strategist trait
Hunting: +health off the bat, puppies, random hunts which will get you a Strong courtier more often then not, Hunter trait

Intrigue: Spy On (the secretly most powerful action in the game), Spy trait
Seduction: Bastards everywhere, Seducer trait

Rulership: Just trait, potentially Legendary Wisdom, Diligent if you're lucky, Gardener or Architect trait
Business: Holla holla get dolla

Scholarship: Build an observatory and grind out military tech points like no tomorrow, Scholar trait
Theology: Pilgrimage, the Necronomicon I think, Mystic trait

Carousing: Make buddies with vassals real easy, Socializer, Gamer, or Hedonist trait
Family: Make buddies with family real easy, fertility boost

I think Mystic actually goes with Scholarship, as does the Necronomicon––in my case, the opportunity to read the Necronomicon fired after I built an observatory.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, the autosaves are really the kicker in the late game. "gently caress is it really July 4th already? Well, I guess I'll go smoke a cigarette."

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Its hard measuring a daily tick speed without debug tools hooked in that slows the game down further but I believe a daily tick with all the optimizations on my machine at home takes about.... 30-50ms? Early game of course. Auto save can't even compete with that.
My goal is to eventually reach a stable <30ms a daily tick because that would mean it processes a month in less than a second (giving you about 12 seconds a year) but I am still a bit off on that target.

e: Keep in mind that's about 20-30k characters crossed with the poo poo ton of events we have its evaluating everything for each day under 50ms....

Groogy fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jun 3, 2015

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Am I not supposed to be able to start a faction for myself for a feudal realm if I'm a republic. Every story I read about someone creating the byz republic involves them sniffing out claims and then setting up a faction to get on the throne. I have a claim, but I'm just not a viable claim guy. Sigh, 200 years of selective loving for naught.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I can't seem to award my eldest son with the title of despot so he'll be my heir. Is this because he's a Strategos under an Exarch?

EDIT: Seemed so, I made him Exarch of Syria and was able to reward him.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 3, 2015

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Knuc U Kinte posted:

200 years of selective loving for naught.

Insert five tired memetic catchphrases here.

Groogy posted:

Its hard measuring a daily tick speed without debug tools hooked in that slows the game down further but I believe a daily tick with all the optimizations on my machine at home takes about.... 30-50ms? Early game of course. Auto save can't even compete with that.
My goal is to eventually reach a stable <30ms a daily tick because that would mean it processes a month in less than a second (giving you about 12 seconds a year) but I am still a bit off on that target.

e: Keep in mind that's about 20-30k characters crossed with the poo poo ton of events we have its evaluating everything for each day under 50ms....

That is really drat fast. I'm pretty sure my machine can't handle those speeds (My system sucks), but it does take less than a minute per year at 5x speed.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)
In general, is it better to fill your demesne's empty holding slots with castles (more and better demesne troops, easier conquest) or cities (dolla dolla bills y'all)?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Charlz Guybon posted:

I can't seem to award my eldest son with the title of despot so he'll be my heir. Is this because he's a Strategos under an Exarch?

EDIT: Seemed so, I made him Exarch of Syria and was able to reward him.

You figured it out yourself, but to give somebody a honorary title you must be their direct liege. That means they must either be your direct vassals or a landless courtier in your court.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Aschlafly posted:

In general, is it better to fill your demesne's empty holding slots with castles (more and better demesne troops, easier conquest) or cities (dolla dolla bills y'all)?

Castles castles castles. Factions take your military strength into account, not your wealth. Personally hold as many castles in your capital holding as possible to maximise your marshal.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
The Nile Delta has been seized, the county of Belgrade claimed for the Exarch of Serbia, and our presence in Latium extended.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Castles castles castles. Factions take your military strength into account, not your wealth. Personally hold as many castles in your capital holding as possible to maximise your marshal.

Disagree, that will screw you out of the research buildings cities give you. Better to have a second duchy which is filled with castles, and focus on your capital keeping you ahead in tech (and money).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Charlz Guybon posted:

The Nile Delta has been seized, the county of Belgrade claimed for the Exarch of Serbia, and our presence in Latium extended.

Alexandria is the duchy to the west of the Nile Delta, you hosed up.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Back To 99 posted:

Disagree, that will screw you out of the research buildings cities give you. Better to have a second duchy which is filled with castles, and focus on your capital keeping you ahead in tech (and money).

If you're feudal, you can't personally own the cities, so you're skimming what you can from a vassal, as well as wasting your 25% capital county levy bonus. Having 5 personally owned castles in your capital county provides stupid high levies, and that's without factoring in your marshal giving you a huge boost when you park him there. Even as a republic, I still usually only have one city in my capital county.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

The Ummayads have been completely eradicated and the Byzantines have been pushed back even further. When the Skrælings finally decide to invade they will face stiff resistance!

Not pictured: One of my vassals setting up a kingdom in southern India.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
How do you change your main title to the Fylkrite or w/e. My game I've been him since twenty years after the 769 start and I'm still Svibold

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

verbal enema posted:

How do you change your main title to the Fylkrite or w/e. My game I've been him since twenty years after the 769 start and I'm still Svibold

I customized the Scandinavia title, I believe there's a DLC that allows you to do that.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Vichan posted:

I customized the Scandinavia title, I believe there's a DLC that allows you to do that.

Ohhhhh yeahhh.

Ha

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I guess its neat that Mongols are finally getting proper representation, but will this do anything for the rest of the game? It seems kind of weak when you look at what EU4 is doing with its current dlc. (Changing the entire game, again)

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

If they have a Songs of the Steppes DLC with throat singing I'll probably never play any other region again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx8hrhBZJ98

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjqTMd69NIA

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

LaSalsaVerde posted:

If they have a Songs of the Steppes DLC with throat singing I'll probably never play any other region again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx8hrhBZJ98

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTCJ5hedcVA

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Time for a throat singing thread, the very best kind of thread.

On a related note, I assume Tengrism is going to be tweaked in this expansion, but I wonder if there's any chance they'll give Manichaeism some love. It's theology is pretty fascinating because it's so syncretic, and it'd be fun to have another religion to save from extinction. I have no idea what mechanics they could give it though.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Vichan posted:

The Ummayads have been completely eradicated and the Byzantines have been pushed back even further. When the Skrælings finally decide to invade they will face stiff resistance!

Not pictured: One of my vassals setting up a kingdom in southern India.

You're going to win pretty handily.

I pushed back the Aztecs from ever claiming a territory and I only had all of Britain and France. Granted, that was back in the heyday of retinues.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Um

So yeah Jomsvikings formed.

While Germanic is still unreformed.

...devs?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

Um

So yeah Jomsvikings formed.

While Germanic is still unreformed.

...devs?

WAD, the religion doesn't have to be reformed for the Jomsvikings to form.

I just pushed the Aztecs back into the sea but didn't get the achievement, I also didn't get medieval Schlieffen even though I was involved in a Mongol dispute at the time! :(

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Yeah, Jomsvikings just need an open holding in one of three provinces by 950 (?).

The worst part is you can reform Germanic without them ever appearing.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Groogy posted:

Does this mean stable over the course of the game? Like you can play for 300 years and the game speed is still about the same as when you start? Because that would be amazing.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Fintilgin posted:

Does this mean stable over the course of the game? Like you can play for 300 years and the game speed is still about the same as when you start? Because that would be amazing.

No not for that long period of time, because of the design in the game its a technical impossibility.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Anybody know a way to the Tribes Be Gone mod to work with After the End? Or another way to disable tribes in AtE? I want to try an Occultist run, but don't enjoy the tribal mechanics.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I find most of the action happens in the earlier years anyway. I kind of inevitably tend towards producing a vast and stable blob capable producing doomstacks and cash. When I reach that state I get kind of bored. Journey not the destination and so on. My next game is going to be as a duke to drag it out that bit longer. I tried that once properly earlier and things got a bit messed up in a way that irritated me rather than challenged me but it seemed like a good way of keeping things exciting for longer.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Anybody know a way to the Tribes Be Gone mod to work with After the End? Or another way to disable tribes in AtE? I want to try an Occultist run, but don't enjoy the tribal mechanics.

Do it yourself? I'm not sure there's anyone on the team who wants to make a second version of AtE that's compatible with someone else's mod.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
France has seen better days in my save:

e: I have an actual question. Is there an easy way to see which members of my dynasty have claims I can press?

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 4, 2015

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Yeah, Jomsvikings just need an open holding in one of three provinces by 950 (?).

The worst part is you can reform Germanic without them ever appearing.

Yeah the issue with the "holy order forms in (year) by taking an empty holding in (county)" is that with the earlier start dates, the odds of there being an empty holding to take are extremely slim. You will probably never see the Assassins form if you start from the Old Gods or Charlemange start dates unless you personally control Dailam and keep a slot open, because while their form date was reasonable for the original start date, with the earlier starts 200-300 years will pass in game before you reach it. It's fairly unlikely there are going to be empty holdings ANYWHERE by that point.

The Jomsvikings one is really random too - it doesn't go by "at least one of these three counties needs to be controlled by a Germanic character and have an open holding", it goes by "one of these three counties will be picked at random, and if it is held by a Germanic character and has an open holding in 950, then the Jomsvikings will form. Assuming the owner of the county doesn't refuse their request to move in."

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Heh, the already unpopular King of Scotland just asked me to vote on increasing crown authority even though I'm not his vassal.

"Yeah, mate, why not? I'm sure everyone will love it."

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Walton Simons posted:

France has seen better days in my save:

e: I have an actual question. Is there an easy way to see which members of my dynasty have claims I can press?

Best way I know of is to type your dynasty name into the character finder and then scan the list for people who have the little crown on their portrait that indicates they have claims.

Of course for dynasty members outside your realm they have to be willing to come to your realm before you can press their claim.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Walton Simons posted:

Heh, the already unpopular King of Scotland just asked me to vote on increasing crown authority even though I'm not his vassal.

"Yeah, mate, why not? I'm sure everyone will love it."

Yeah, the de jure vassals get to vote on that (and Elective heirs), not the de facto vassals. Which has always seemed retarded to me, but hey.

e: Quote is not edit :doh:

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Makes sense, I hold the Isle of Man.

Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that, turns out I can claim Carrick once my truce runs out :getin:
I've been forced into doing it this way as my chancellors have failed to fabricate a claim in 25 years.

Also, regarding voting for the Scotch crown authority increase, this just happened.

rofl

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 4, 2015

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Eh weird thing is happening, the guy I made in the ruler designer is learning spells in his sleep for some reason, what the gently caress? He's a catholic French for what its worth and he's on the business path. He just did one to become attrative. I don't even know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Goofballs posted:

Eh weird thing is happening, the guy I made in the ruler designer is learning spells in his sleep for some reason, what the gently caress? He's a catholic French for what its worth and he's on the business path. He just did one to become attrative. I don't even know.

Huh, I've got that with a ruler right now - Ironman, too. Is it giving you a bunch of events accusing you of occultism and giving you just 1.00 prestige?

• Locked thread