Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

silvergoose posted:

Would it surprise you to find out that there are people who think the exact opposite, theme-wise? That is, subsistence farming is more interesting to some (mostly because it is *not* a very overused theme) than generic fantasy.

Would it surprise you that I'm merely suggesting reasons why some people like Cavenra more and why it has a higher rating amongst the people that have played both and not claiming it to be the holy gospel that speaks for everyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Serfs starving to death is almost a war crime and thus Agricola is closer to being an actual game

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Caverna is more accessible than Agricola. Easy to play a couple of times. Agricola takes much more investment to get the most out of it. Most people don't want to give it that much time, if they can play Caverna and get much of the same experience.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Also regarding theme while some find it silly for a game called "cave farmers" to focus on outdoor farming, Caverna is the closest board game equivalent to Dwarf Fortress (also a game with outdoor farming) and I know people who will hop on it over Agricola for that reason alone.

Give me an expansion with monsters that can wreck poo poo. You worried about your serfs starving okay here's a dragon that just torched your plot.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If they added that and cards to draft it would become my ultimate game. My holy grail.

Add in some bad deck building mechanics too and I'd be in hog heaven.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
Well, put in the order, getting me some Dungeon Lords anniversary, Viticulture, Glass Road and Tournay was on sale for 23bux so I decided why not, it'll look nice beside Troyes and it isn't a bad game. Thanks for the input to all my dumb questions, goons. Now the only thing I'm missing is an ant game :(

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

EvilChameleon posted:

Well, put in the order, getting me some Dungeon Lords anniversary, Viticulture, Glass Road and Tournay was on sale for 23bux so I decided why not, it'll look nice beside Troyes and it isn't a bad game. Thanks for the input to all my dumb questions, goons. Now the only thing I'm missing is an ant game :(

Myrmes?

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,

I watched a bunch of videos and read some reviews and I can't make up my mind about it. I feel like I should play it first but I don't know anyone who has it. Maybe if the board was prettier or something. I just couldn't pull the trigger this time around.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Myrmes is interesting but the printing of it I played was abysmal. So many production errors.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Myrmes works pretty well despite the production errors though. I like that it has simultaneous play for the euro part, but also does area control in an interesting way. I liked the way it played, but I have not played it enough to say if it has any dominant strategies.

Also, the board is actually really pretty? Also plastic ants are great.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Another vote for Myrmes. It's got a worker allocation element ala Dungeon Petz, a neat little economy elements and also a cool landgrabby element as well.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Single Tight Female posted:

I don't think this has been posted before so UK goons: Amazon.co.uk is running a "Spend £20 and get £5 off" on board games sale through the rest of the month. (link)

Am I missing something, or is Betrayal at House on the Hill really costing £32 for 1 copy and £585 for 3 copies? Get 2 more copies of this £32 product for a mere £550!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Undead Hippo posted:

Am I missing something, or is Betrayal at House on the Hill really costing £32 for 1 copy and £585 for 3 copies? Get 2 more copies of this £32 product for a mere £550!
It's just the way that Amazon works. It doesn't group up different retailers together when you select 3 copies, it just finds a retailer that is willing to send 3 copies all at once, and that happens to be a price gouger that is selling three for 585.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Caverna is the better game because it weighs like 100 lbs.

Speaking of heavy games, I want to get Terra Mystica so badly...but I know I will never get my friends to play it more than once, maybe twice or something. It's a drat tragedy.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Quick thank you shout out to the guys who posted about Mage Knight references. This thread moves too quickly for me to post closer to their useful stuff :)

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

GrandpaPants posted:

The one thing I like about Small World is the idea of having your civilization go into decline and picking it up with another civilization that may or may not be excavating your ruins. Small World doesn't execute it well at all for a myriad of reasons, but the idea of a game where the first half is extended setup for the second half kinda intrigues me. Is there anything that does something similar to this vague, ill-defined and poorly articulated concept?

What Omega-Goo said, Amun-Re sort of hits this mark. The game is played over two phases where you bid on areas to control and hire workers to earn money and pyramids to score points. However between the first and second phase, the workers are wiped and control over each area is reset, only the pyramids remain. This changes the bidding in the second phase because you still score full points for pyramids that were already built on any area you aquire.

Unfortunately, the game is out of print so its probably not worth whatever ebay scalpers want for it.

Nique
May 18, 2006

Looking to pick up an LCG and have been looking at either WH invasion, WH40K Conquest or if we decide on co-op - LotR.

Had a quick check around bgg and the reviews seem favourable, and picked these 2 out as we are fans of the themes. Only ever going to be playing as 2 , and not too concerned (at least immediately) about the deck building side, so only intending to pick up 1 core set.

First venture into these types of game so I wanted to check whether any of these would be a mistake, or if there is a far superior choice we're overlooking.

Nique fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 3, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Nique posted:

Looking to pick up an LCG and have been looking at either WH invasion, WH40K Conquest or if I decide on co-op - LotR.

Exclusively with 2 players, and not too concerned (at least immediately) about the deck building side, so only intending to pick up 1 core set.

Can I go far wrong with any of these choices?

First venture into these types of game so I wanted to check whether any of these would be a mistake, or if there is a far superior choice we're overlooking.

I haven't played WH Invasion but you should know it's a dead LCG. I don't know what the overlap is with Conquest, either (Conquest began almost immediately after Invasion died). Note that 1 core set of Conquest is kinda poo poo since there are a LOT of 1-of cards, which gives you a lot of card variety, but not so much deck consistency. You do get like 7 factions out of the gate, though, so it's plenty varied.

Also you're overlooking Netrunner, which is the most popular of the LCGs and thus the most likely to find a community around it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

WH Conquest is basically a meatier Smash Up, so that may or may not appeal to you. It's a solid game though. LotR is a fantastic game, but if you're only playing the core set it has the least longevity. Netrunner is far and away the best LCG and best card game out there in a lot of people's minds, and the core set gives you two asynchronous sides with multiple factions each, so plenty of variety and fun. Highly recommend it if you like the theme (cyber hacking).

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Morpheus posted:

Is Caverna the one where the box lid doesn't even close properly while it's in the shrink wrap?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Morpheus posted:

Actually Caverna weights 1.8kg and Agricola weighs 2kg, cards are heavy! Of course considering Agricola is cheaper this makes it's weight/price ratio much better.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Rutibex, I like your posts, but your avatar makes me want to punch you every time I see it. I read everything in that voice when I see it and I hate you for it. I can even hear your labored breathing between phrases

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Rutibex posted:

Actually Caverna weights 1.8kg and Agricola weighs 2kg, cards are heavy! Of course considering Agricola is cheaper this makes it's weight/price ratio much better.
I forget, did someone mention that Agricola is probably getting a new edition later this year? I'm kinda waiting to pick it up because I heard there might be an ultimate edition in the works.

I grabbed the 2-player All Creatures Big and Small in the meantime.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
^ This year or next.

Bottom Liner posted:

WH Conquest is basically a meatier Smash Up

What?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That's exactly how I would describe the planet mechanic. A bunch of planets are out, you play your armies to the different ones to try to capture them, etc. There's just economy, resource management, and more added to that central mechanic. I think it's pretty solid, but I've only played once. I really like the command struggle design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EXfeEGuxwk

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 3, 2015

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,

Bottom Liner posted:

That's exactly how I would describe the planet mechanic. A bunch of planets are out, you play your armies to the different ones to try to capture them, etc. There's just economy, resource management, and more added to that central mechanic. I think it's pretty solid, but I've only played once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EXfeEGuxwk

Except there are way more decisions than just "plop guy here, hope my guys are op." I think you should at least call it not lovely if you're going to compare it to Smash Up.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I literally said it's a good game in the very next sentence after comparing it to Smash Up and saying it's meatier. Geez man.

Bottom Liner posted:

WH Conquest is basically a meatier Smash Up, so that may or may not appeal to you. It's a solid game though.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
As far as I know, the only changes in the new edition of Agricola will be a rebalanced default occupation and improvement decks, which will probably be sold separately?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
How hard is foamcore to work with?

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

Some Numbers posted:

How hard is foamcore to work with?

Not that hard. Just be sure to get one of those blades that break off in sections so you can always have a sharp edge. If you try to cut it with a dull edge, it'll just tear. Also get a nice thick metal ruler to keep the lines straight.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

cbirdsong posted:

As far as I know, the only changes in the new edition of Agricola will be a rebalanced default occupation and improvement decks, which will probably be sold separately?

They also plan on including all of the expansion decks in the main box, bringing the total up to a whooping 1,176 cards!
https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/39548/new-game-round-glenn-drover-returns-warquest-expan

quote:

Exciting news!

In 2016, the new published Agricola basic game will include seven 168 card decks in the box: A,B,C,D,J,K,L

Decks A,B,C = 504 cards will be previously published cards by Uwe (from E,I,K, NL, FL, WA, Bi, Cz, O, Z = 645 cards)
Deck D = 168 cards will be new cards by Uwe (I will upload them to the CAC soon. We need to play test them for Uwe)
Deck J,K = 336 cards will be previously published cards by Play-Agricola.com (from G, Wm, Fr, Pi = 378 cards)
Deck L = 168 cards will be new cards by Play-Agricola.com (from G4, G5 = 240 cards)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Rutibex posted:

They also plan on including all of the expansion decks in the main box, bringing the total up to a whooping 1,176 cards!
https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/39548/new-game-round-glenn-drover-returns-warquest-expan

Sweet!

quote:

That's why there's a 2016 tag on this. It might be 2017 if the tests take longer than expected.

Oh...

Also, from reading this part, it looks a lot more likely that he's pulling cards from the various decks to make the new base deck, not just including every card ever in the box. That would be crazy pricey and heavy. I think they want to drop the old cards that weren't very good and use cards from expansions that were more powerful/usable.

quote:

This statement doesn't match what might actually be in a supposedly revised 2016 edition of Agricola as Lookout Games' Hanno Girke noted on BGG when he explained that Agricola designer Uwe Rosenberg "is currently taking a look how to reorganize the decks. Some cards might rotate out, some from out-of-print expansions might rotate in

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 3, 2015

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Rutibex posted:

That's a lot of medieval serf starvation!

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

I played the tutorial scenarios for both Star Wars: Armada and Heroes of Normandie recently. Surprisingly I enjoyed Heroes more and I'm interested in playing again, while Armada not so much. Heroes seemed smooth while Armada seemed clumsy. There's hardly any discussion out there for Heroes though, and not much praise. It's rated relatively poorly on BGG. What's the critique? Is there a mess of problems waiting for me beyond the tutorial? Do I have bad taste in wargames?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Medium Style posted:

I played the tutorial scenarios for both Star Wars: Armada and Heroes of Normandie recently. Surprisingly I enjoyed Heroes more and I'm interested in playing again, while Armada not so much. Heroes seemed smooth while Armada seemed clumsy. There's hardly any discussion out there for Heroes though, and not much praise. It's rated relatively poorly on BGG. What's the critique? Is there a mess of problems waiting for me beyond the tutorial? Do I have bad taste in wargames?

I've never played it, but poorly rated?

That seems pretty high to me.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
It's looks like Z-Man's french overlords are putting out feelers about de-animeing Tragedy Looper.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
....huh.

That could get awkward if they print expansion stuff with the non-Japanese art.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Just retheme everything to be about farming/being French.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Tendales posted:

It's looks like Z-Man's french overlords are putting out feelers about de-animeing Tragedy Looper.

To me it just looks like they're porting it to the Atari 2600.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Tendales posted:

Oui SVP, enfin