Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Oraculum Animi posted:

I decided I wanted to have a second EDH deck so I picked up the green C14 one and then got some cards for it. It's a budget deck, I'm going to try and keep a card's cost down to 5 dollars or less. I've also got my eye on a few other things (Elvish Promenade, Beast Within, Kodama's Reach, Regrowth, Skyshroud Claim, Yavimaya Elder, Genesis Wave, Chord of Calling, and Frontier Siege). The idea is elves. I probably want to take out Wave of Vitriol, Desert Twister, and Destructor Dragon.

Gaea's Touch is like Exploration for mono green, but you can sac it for more mana when you're done with it and it's actually dirt cheap. Plus the art is rad as all hell. :getin:

And get thee to a Kamahl, Fist of Krosa! Baru works great too if you can scrounge up a few extra Forest landfall procs. (Oh, and Baru doesn't care if they're even your Forests in case that comes up.)

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Speaking of Keldon Firebombers, I like 'soft' LD like Ruination, Global Ruin, or From the Ashes, where it destroys nonbasics or most (but not all) lands so that you can still punish greedy manabases but without locking people out of the game. Call it avoiding feelbads or whatever, I don't give a gently caress. :buddy:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Oraculum Animi posted:

I decided I wanted to have a second EDH deck so I picked up the green C14 one and then got some cards for it. It's a budget deck, I'm going to try and keep a card's cost down to 5 dollars or less. I've also got my eye on a few other things (Elvish Promenade, Beast Within, Kodama's Reach, Regrowth, Skyshroud Claim, Yavimaya Elder, Genesis Wave, Chord of Calling, and Frontier Siege). The idea is elves. I probably want to take out Wave of Vitriol, Desert Twister, and Destructor Dragon.

Don't do this to yourself. All the best key cars for elves have jacked up prices cause they are old and stupid good and Legacy Elves is kind of a deck.

Just take like the 5 good cards out of this deck and start something else.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Don't do this to yourself. All the best key cars for elves have jacked up prices cause they are old and stupid good and Legacy Elves is kind of a deck.

Which key cards are you talking about? I can think of Gaea's Cradle.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Toshimo posted:

Toshimo, I have a page in my rare binder dedicated to my nine-card Ursapenis. Can I be as good as you one day?

For content: it looks like WGB was the way to go for my Spirit/Arcane venture, as my preexisting Karador deck already had nine spirits in it. :buddy: Mashed the two together into a testbed for what works and I'm pretty pleased with how much mileage splicing gives you for each card. Plus recurring Ghost-Lit creatures with Soulshift is pretty nifty (not to mention Crib Swaps). I doubt it'll perform as admirably in the wild, but it'll be a nice change of pace at least. I'll get a list in once I've cemented it down and acquired a few missing pieces. I'm thinking of calling it "Kirin Me Softly (With his Song (of Serenity))."

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 2, 2015

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Oraculum Animi posted:

Which key cards are you talking about? I can think of Gaea's Cradle.

The cards above your target price point:
Gaea's Cradle - $125
Natural Order - $30
Glimpse of Nature - $20
Sylvan Library - $15
Heritage Druid - $10
Craterhoof Behemoth - $10
Green Sun's Zenith - $6

I'd say that all of those are pretty important parts of the deck.

Mono-G EDH has a huuuuuge number of downsides and is probably the second worst color option in the game (next to mono-Red). You are incredibly vulnerable to board sweepers, and you need to be able to push an explosive turn out from an empty board sometimes. This is also why Yeva is probablythe best Elf General.

As it is, if you don't want to buy in to pretty much the 10 best cards for your deck, you might want to consider running a deck that can get away with being competitive on cheaper options.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.
Okay, so I helped my buddy buy more cards (he is at his $100 budget for his Brago deck), but I came across a rule that is a tad confusing to me. An Aura that is cast has to have a Target if played from my hand, but if Brago blinks an Aura that returns to the field it can even be applied to a creature with Shroud or Hex Proof because Auras returning to the field don't specifically Target. Is that true? So the use of Reality Acid would be an effective removal for even creatures or permanents protected with Shroud/Hex Proof? It would get around Protection of a color for the purposes of being applied to the permanent with Protection, but then when the board is checked it would be removed because of the Protection, right?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

OssiansFolly posted:

Okay, so I helped my buddy buy more cards (he is at his $100 budget for his Brago deck), but I came across a rule that is a tad confusing to me. An Aura that is cast has to have a Target if played from my hand, but if Brago blinks an Aura that returns to the field it can even be applied to a creature with Shroud or Hex Proof because Auras returning to the field don't specifically Target. Is that true? So the use of Reality Acid would be an effective removal for even creatures or permanents protected with Shroud/Hex Proof? It would get around Protection of a color for the purposes of being applied to the permanent with Protection, but then when the board is checked it would be removed because of the Protection, right?

It can attach to anything it could legally attach to at the time it comes in. This bypasses Shroud/Hexproof, but not Protection. The "why" of this is kind of baffling, but basically, Shroud/Hexproof only affect targeting, and an Aura only targets when it's cast. Protection affects targeting and enchanting, so you can't enchant a permanent with something it has protection from.

Also, if you blink a creature and an aura that was attached to that creature, and they both return at the same time, the Aura can't reattach to that same creature.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

It can attach to anything it could legally attach to at the time it comes in. This bypasses Shroud/Hexproof, but not Protection. The "why" of this is kind of baffling, but basically, Shroud/Hexproof only affect targeting, and an Aura only targets when it's cast. Protection affects targeting and enchanting, so you can't enchant a permanent with something it has protection from.

Also, if you blink a creature and an aura that was attached to that creature, and they both return at the same time, the Aura can't reattach to that same creature.

That is good to know. If there is no legal target on my side of the board do I HAVE to choose an opponent's target? Or can I let it go to the GY?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

You must return those Auras to the battlefield, if at all possible, and it's only possible to return them attached to something. If the only things to attach them to are enemy creatures, too bad. If there are actually no things for them to attach to, they stay exiled.

Auras: Hella stupid.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

LordSaturn posted:

Time to fill my commander decks with all of the licids.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

You must return those Auras to the battlefield, if at all possible, and it's only possible to return them attached to something. If the only things to attach them to are enemy creatures, too bad. If there are actually no things for them to attach to, they stay exiled.

Hmm well that is good info to have as I put together this deck for him. He will absolutely need to know that.

Edit: Okay here is what I cut his deck down to. I know I need to cut more, but before I do is there anything that is a staple that I NEED to put in and won't really break his budget? Think $1 or less per card.

OssiansFolly fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 3, 2015

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

If you're going to put in the Splicers, you might as well also have Precursor Golem. It makes double the golems.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 3, 2015

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

If you're going to put in the Splicers, you might as well also have Precursor Golem. It makes double the golems.

I had Precursor in, but it has that caveat that if you target one golem with a spell you copy a spell and hit all golems with that spell...I figured that would just come back to bite him in the rear end since Precursor himself is a golem and one removal on him takes out any tokens that are built up. Am I wrong?

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Aranan posted:

So my group is fine with land destruction. That said, is there a way to make a deck based around LD that actually plays in an interesting manner? The closest I have found so far was a Keranos LD deck that is obviously not optimized, but might be a start. I guess Jhoira would be a better commander choice, but then it's just a "Jhoira Deck" and those have been played out, I feel.

Play Wort, the Raidmother(R/G) then you can destroy lands, conspire the spell to copy it and then use mirari to copy again.

Hilarity ensues

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I

OssiansFolly posted:

I had Precursor in, but it has that caveat that if you target one golem with a spell you copy a spell and hit all golems with that spell...I figured that would just come back to bite him in the rear end since Precursor himself is a golem and one removal on him takes out any tokens that are built up. Am I wrong?

This is a good question.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

OssiansFolly posted:

No, you're right. The thing is though that Precursor wont cause the tokens to blink with Brago though, and then build up a token army.

Also, the spell has to be single target. Targeted removal is much less common in commander, so there is even a chance you wont need to worry about it.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Although the mental image of someone casting Pongify on your Precursor Golem and suddenly a bunch of monkeys bust out of an army of robots is pretty great.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Fiend Computer posted:

No, you're right. The thing is though that Precursor wont cause the tokens to blink with Brago though, and then build up a token army.

Also, the spell has to be single target. Targeted removal is much less common in commander, so there is even a chance you wont need to worry about it.

I find this to be distinctly untrue, although the ratio of targeted vs. sweeping is quite a bit lower. On the other hand, lots of efficient targeted removal has weird upsides that you'd really like to multiply, like Chaos Warp, Oblation, Swords to Plowshares, Path to Exile. Overall, Precursor Golem seems like a good addition.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

I find this to be distinctly untrue, although the ratio of targeted vs. sweeping is quite a bit lower. On the other hand, lots of efficient targeted removal has weird upsides that you'd really like to multiply, like Chaos Warp, Oblation, Swords to Plowshares, Path to Exile. Overall, Precursor Golem seems like a good addition.

It might be a meta thing then. In general my group play a lot of creature heavy decks, so in general one for one removal does a lot worse in comparison to a boardwipe.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Kick a rite of replication on the Precursor Golem and prepare the aspirin.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Archenteron posted:

Smash to Smithereens. :smuggo:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Clearly the best bet is to build a Precursor Golem storm deck using Astral Steel.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Fiend Computer posted:

Yea...my playgroup doesn't play a lot of sweeps because they don't really have them...I have to deal with a lot of spot removal with the occasional Black Sun's Zenith and/or Mizzium Mortars.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fiend Computer posted:

It might be a meta thing then. In general my group play a lot of creature heavy decks, so in general one for one removal does a lot worse in comparison to a boardwipe.

Please post in the McModern

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

With Brago you can also make a bunch of golems then use an enter the battlefield bounce effect to put the precursor back in your hand, thus protecting the golems.

On a related note, Man o War would be a good addition to that deck.

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 4, 2015

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Rogue0071 posted:

With Brago you can also make a bunch of golems then use an enter the battlefield bounce effect to put the precursor back in your hand, thus protecting the golems.

On a related note, Man o War would be a good addition to that deck.

Yea I thought about Man-o-War and he is cheaper to cast than the other options presently in there, but I left him on the side because bouncing to the top of a library sounds like it would be more appealing to me. I have a couple artifacts to bounce cards to my hand for 1 mana (Erratic Portal and Crystal Shard). Maybe I will put back in the Golem then...still have to figure out what to cut.

Is 36 lands enough? Should I put in more? Seems like there are a lot of rocks, but I am worried he won't have the mana to cast those rocks.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

OssiansFolly posted:

Yea I thought about Man-o-War and he is cheaper to cast than the other options presently in there, but I left him on the side because bouncing to the top of a library sounds like it would be more appealing to me. I have a couple artifacts to bounce cards to my hand for 1 mana (Erratic Portal and Crystal Shard). Maybe I will put back in the Golem then...still have to figure out what to cut.

Is 36 lands enough? Should I put in more? Seems like there are a lot of rocks, but I am worried he won't have the mana to cast those rocks.

36 lands is more than enough if you're running all the rocks. I believe the rule of thumb is every 2 or 2 1/2 mana rocks lets you more-or-less cut a land from the deck. I ran 34 lands in my Jor Kadeen deck that had 10 rocks in it.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Archenteron posted:

The first kicked rite isn't that bad. It's the second one you have to worry about.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

36 lands is more than enough if you're running all the rocks. I believe the rule of thumb is every 2 or 2 1/2 mana rocks lets you more-or-less cut a land from the deck. I ran 34 lands in my Jor Kadeen deck that had 10 rocks in it.

That is good to know. I did try to keep him in a spot where his rocks gave him colored mana as much as possible too. I know I need to stop adding cards, but I feel like Archeomancer or Mnemonic Wall would do work in this deck if they don't remove it right away and I can bring back Counters or the couple board wipes...

Building decks is such a pain...building decks for friends is even more of a pain...(which means you guys helping me build a deck for a friend must be like drinking gasoline)

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Could anyone give me some mtgo budget suggestions for my mono-green deck?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/monolith94/ezuri%20EDH.png~original

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
Bought an all-white commander set on MTGO, getting rear end raped though.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

bluegoon posted:

Bought an all-white commander set on MTGO, losing badly though.

Don't do that.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

CountFosco posted:

Beast Within, Nature's Claim, Bramblecrush, Song of the Dryads, Survival of the Fittest, removing Toshimo's Trigger Lands, Concordant Crossroads, Kamahl Fist of Krosa, Surrak the Hunt Caller, Oran-Rief the Vastwood, Reap and Sow

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

bluegoon posted:

Bought an all-white commander set on MTGO, getting rear end raped though.

Cool post, buddy.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Archenteron posted:

Beast Within, Nature's Claim, Bramblecrush, Song of the Dryads, Survival of the Fittest, removing Toshimo's Trigger Lands, Concordant Crossroads, Kamahl Fist of Krosa, Surrak the Hunt Caller, Oran-Rief the Vastwood, Reap and Sow

Green Kamahl rules, I recently put one in a GW EDH deck and he definitely did work. He's kind of redundant with Ezuri but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

CountFosco posted:

Additionally, Coat of Arms, Copperhorn Scout, Druid's Repository, Elvish Guidance, Krosan Grip, Wirewood Channeler, Wirewood Lodge, and Yavimaya Hollow.

Elvish Archdruid and Beastmaster Ascension are both about .4-.5 tix, I honestly don't know how it converts, I don't use MTGO. The others are all .05 or less from what I can see.

Also Umbral Mantle is super cheap, and combos with Priest of Titania/Elvish Archdruid/Wirewood Channeler to make them infinitely large if they can generate three mana with their ability; infinite mana too if they can generate 4 or more.

This is my Ezuri Elfball list from a while ago. I haven't properly updated it in about six months, but it should still work fine and give you some ideas.

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
http://commandertheory.com/post/95164628527/i-dont-think-just-printing-a-good-commander-is

:eyepop:

This explains so much about Red's place in EDH actually

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Surprise MaRo is a piece of poo poo and selfish rear end in a top hat when it comes to the color pie. If it isn't Green it doesn't get his undivided attention. gently caress the color pie...make every color playable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Green Kamahl rules, I recently put one in a GW EDH deck and he definitely did work. He's kind of redundant with Ezuri but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The repeatable overrun that he shares with Ezuri isn't even his primary strength. He's a massive rattlesnake that effectively shuts off opponents from playing board wipes (other than Crift) while you have green mana open. A lot of people underestimate his second ability, but it is HUGE for protecting your board from mass removal.