Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Applebees posted:

Wizards doesn't restrict anyone from hosting Magic tournaments. An organizer could host a tournament with a $1000 buy-in just like poker tournaments if they wanted to.

I mean they do when it comes to sanctioned events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I mean they do when it comes to sanctioned events.

Right, but that only determines whether or not players receive Planeswalker Points. I didn't hear people complain that Vegas gave out a small amount of Planeswalker Points. The complaints were about low cash prizes.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I imagine their costs on product are somewhat lower, too.

Drafted a sweet B/W spirits deck, btw:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/567347/mtg/spirits.png

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

So you may remember my foil Tarn that was apparently run over by a rollerblade and sold as LP. Well everything turned out ok; the guy saw reason, I got a $20 refund and now I don't feel like I got robbed. :toot:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I don't see Wizards doing poo poo about prize pools for the same reason I don't see them making serious investments into anything related to the game - the actual material costs in MTG are probably negligible (its cardboard), so its likely difficult to convince the corporate overlords (who are toy makers, not game makers) to spend more money when they're already selling out of a run of $10 cardboard boxes that contain other pieces of cardboard inside.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

suicidesteve posted:

So you may remember my foil Tarn that was apparently run over by a rollerblade and sold as LP. Well everything turned out ok; the guy saw reason, I got a $20 refund and now I don't feel like I got robbed. :toot:

Lol it was a shoe but rollerblade does sound funnier.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't see Wizards doing poo poo about prize pools for the same reason I don't see them making serious investments into anything related to the game - the actual material costs in MTG are probably negligible (its cardboard), so its likely difficult to convince the corporate overlords (who are toy makers, not game makers) to spend more money when they're already selling out of a run of $10 cardboard boxes that contain other pieces of cardboard inside.

Actually, hasbro is bumping up investment big time, since magic is a huge cash cow and has shown consistent growth for them. According to their shareholder statements they are expanding investment in:

- Character and story basis. I see this kicking off with Origins in a big way. Characters drive loyalty and retention.
- Digital. We know modo sucks and adding features to it takes 5x as long as it should. Probably they're gearing up Duels, which is going to a quarterly expansion model.

R&D wise, I think they're in a pretty decent groove. Standard is great right now, and having two rotations a year is a big deal.

On the organized play side, I've found the pptq system tiresome personally but I think wotc finds it a huge success. GP attendance is skyrocketing and I can see them expanding the number of them next year. They will probably increase the payouts a bit to say that they did but not in a way that makes an actual difference.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Applebees posted:

Wizards doesn't restrict anyone from hosting Magic tournaments. An organizer could host a tournament with a $1000 buy-in just like poker tournaments if they wanted to.

I'm surprised this hasn't been done, there probably were 7 degenerate gamblers in Las Vegas willing to take on LSV in a $1k a seat draft.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mr. mephistopheles posted:

When you average it out, but when you account for a giant chunk of that total value being mythics your odds of making your money back are much, much slimmer. Some math nerd on MTGS did a long breakdown and the odds of breaking even were pretty abysmal.

Thinking about this again, MM15 has lowers prices somewhat, but not as much as Conspiracy did last year for certain cards. Stifle, Pernicious Deed, Misdirection, Exploration, Reflecting Pool were all 20 dollar cards that had their price bottom out to 3-5 bucks and it has stayed there, while it only added 1 new value card, maybe 2 (Dack and Council's Judgement.) Conspiracy packs were also regular retail value. This could be that the :10bux: pricepoint had made people wary to sell anything at a greatly lower price because of "my value!"

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

GoutPatrol posted:

maybe 2 (Dack and Council's Judgement.)

Council's Judgment sees eternal format play because it's basically "exile a permanent of your choice" and being able to get rid of a True-Name Nemesis in addition to any other problem card is worth 3 mana sometimes. Dack sees Vintage and Legacy play as well because he can steal the crazy-rear end artifacts everyone plays and filters cards.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Count Bleck posted:

Why the gently caress is Omniscience 30 dollars :stare:

Jesus Christ! (goes and finds random copy in binder and quickly puts it in a sleeve)

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk

Zoness posted:

I imagine the name was pulled from some trademark listings or something which was how Mirrodin Pure / New Phyrexia were pulled in the first place.

Even if it wasn't, I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that if someone has the art assets for the cards (which I think is definitely the case, that art looks legitimate even if the cards don't) that they'd have access to the names.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'm sorry, how much was Noble Hierarch? 35?

It's 40 now. Kill me. :suicide:

fuckingwhocares
Apr 23, 2003

Josh #2
The guy next to me, at Vegas, registered a pool containing a foil Hierarch, a Kozilek and a VClique. A value pool with bombs.

He also forgot his playmat, of which I dropped off with a Judge.

Edit: I passed him a sick pool of Primetime, Ulamog and a bunch of ramp/support. -_- Of course I was passed garbage, that's how it works.

fuckingwhocares fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 4, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I'm still amazed how often people let me have Mirror Entity in MM2015. It's disgusting if you're playing a deck with creatures in it. The only cards I imagine are bigger bombs are Bitterblossom and Elesh Norn, neither of which I played nor have a clue how you'd beat.

Count Bleck posted:

I'm sorry, how much was Noble Hierarch? 35?

It's 40 now. Kill me. :suicide:

What's Creakwood Liege up to, because I got 5 of those :v:

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 4, 2015

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

"...Probably they're gearing up Duels, which is going to a quarterly expansion model."

This is good news. I hear that the newer versions of Duels are not that great though. If I were to buy one, which should I get? Is 2015 the defacto version to get expansions or does WotC have plans to release a new game and build upon that?

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Rukawa posted:

The guy next to me, at Vegas, registered a pool containing a foil Hierarch, a Kozilek and a VClique. A value pool with bombs.

He also forgot his playmat, of which I dropped off with a Judge.

Edit: I passed him a sick pool of Primetime, Ulamog and a bunch of ramp/support. -_- Of course I was passed garbage, that's how it works.

I loved passing Iona and Cryptic for a Cranial Plating and Fulminator Mage.

I hated my pool so bad (literally forced into Affinity with an all-in on Equipment) I just dropped after a round 1 loss and went to Table 10 for lunch.

fuckingwhocares
Apr 23, 2003

Josh #2

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm still amazed how often people let me have Mirror Entity in MM2015. It's disgusting if you're playing a deck with creatures in it. The only cards I imagine are bigger bombs are Bitterblossom and Elesh Norn, neither of which I played nor have a clue how you'd beat.

Yeah, I got blowed the gently caress out multiple times with tokens into Entity.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I recommend this week's CEDTalks, with Cedric Phillips and Gerry Thompson. Their take on GoyfGate is great, and Cedric even explains why he didn't like Mad Max, which basically amounts to "way too hyped for me, was still a fine movie."

Edit: Also I don't follow Modern much, but it seems like the scarcity of Kolaghan's Command wasn't some price-spiking conspiracy, but that the card is the real deal in Modern, and has basically become a staple in Grixis Control and Jund, which are the top decks now? Ced and Gerry seem to conclude that the card just makes Affinity unplayable now.

qbert fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 4, 2015

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Angry Grimace posted:

Liege is like 4?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Propitious Jerk posted:

This is good news. I hear that the newer versions of Duels are not that great though. If I were to buy one, which should I get? Is 2015 the defacto version to get expansions or does WotC have plans to release a new game and build upon that?

It's gonna be a new thing.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Store was gonna do a dragons draft! But no one signed up because they were all drafting modern masters. Modern masters is the worst.

I've got most of the components for esper dragons. I just need ojutai and three more temples of enlightenment. Which is an awful lot. Blegh. I'll probably save my money and wait for origins.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

qbert posted:

I recommend this week's CEDTalks, with Cedric Phillips and Gerry Thompson. Their take on GoyfGate is great, and Cedric even explains why he didn't like Mad Max, which basically amounts to "way too hyped for me, was still a fine movie."

Edit: Also I don't follow Modern much, but it seems like the scarcity of Kolaghan's Command wasn't some price-spiking conspiracy, but that the card is the real deal in Modern, and has basically become a staple in Grixis Control and Jund, which are the top decks now? Ced and Gerry seem to conclude that the card just makes Affinity unplayable now.

Gerry's twitch streams are pretty great. He only recently started streaming regularly.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Dohaeris posted:

Store was gonna do a dragons draft! But no one signed up because they were all drafting modern masters. Modern masters is the worst.

I've got most of the components for esper dragons. I just need ojutai and three more temples of enlightenment. Which is an awful lot. Blegh. I'll probably save my money and wait for origins.

On tcgplayer that's 32 bucks total right now.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Just learned my LGS is doing its first Modern GPT and I can't go because my school's graduation is the same day. I will never get to play Modern as much as I want.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

GoutPatrol posted:

Just learned my LGS is doing its first Modern GPT and I can't go because my school's graduation is the same day. I will never get to play Modern as much as I want.

I've played once since September, and it was a bad store with mostly not real decks and a few people playing Infect. Of course I played 5x+ a month and vintage monthly, so, y'know, that's infinitely better.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

Errant Gin Monks posted:

On tcgplayer that's 32 bucks total right now.

Well, Ojutai is still like 20-30 (And I need like, 2-4), but I can at least snag the temples I need and borrow my buddy's ojutais for a bit. Snagged the temples though, thanks!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Why is it I can open good MM2 packs on paper but when I want to draft on MODO I open loving Overwhelming Stampede and Leyline of Sanctity?

:argh:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Propitious Jerk posted:

Uhh the next one I think. Don't get the current one that is the one everybody hates.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.

Propitious Jerk posted:

I believe 2013 has the broadest mod support. Might be 2014, it's been a while.

Mods meaning functional addition of hundreds of cards, which is pretty neat.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Why is it I can open good MM2 packs on paper but when I want to draft on MODO I open loving Overwhelming Stampede and Leyline of Sanctity?

:argh:

I would be really happy if I opened an Overwhelming Stampede though

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Angry Grimace posted:

It's not a very good card because all it can do is beg to not get its 2/2 for 4 rear end kicked through the opponent's turn before it starts generating value, but as one of the Lieges it is guaranteed to slowly go up in value because those are goddamn magnets for casual attention and as a 3/3 generator that pumps your friends for 4 it is just close enough to playable to fool someone.

Wilt-Leaf Liege is the gold-standard for Lieges because a 4/4 for 4 that pumps your friends and makes Liliana of the Veil cry miserably is actually unironically good. Though a bit overshadowed by Loxodon Smiter for the GW gently caress you discard slot since its gently caress you remand as well.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

I would be really happy if I opened an Overwhelming Stampede though

Someone ate up G/W tokens, all I saw was that, a Raise the Alarm, and a Kozilek's Predator.

I also opened a Wolfbriar Elemental. I was pretty angry.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Mirror Entity is the most powerful non-Mythic rare in the set and it's not even particularly close. Untap with that and any kind of board and it's just over.

Edit: in limited obviously

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Someone ate up G/W tokens, all I saw was that, a Raise the Alarm, and a Kozilek's Predator.

I also opened a Wolfbriar Elemental. I was pretty angry.

It's certainly at its best in tokens but really that card is absurd and is a bomb as long as you can support a GG casting cost. And if you absolutely need synergy with it outside of the tokens deck, imagine being G/B and casting it after playing a Dread Drone

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Mirror Entity is the most powerful non-Mythic rare in the set and it's not even particularly close. Untap with that and any kind of board and it's just over.

well yeah

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Plagued rusalka :negative:

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

actually I forgot profane command was in MM15 cause it's actually that on raw power but mirror entity is arguably better because you splash it in literally any deck i guess

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

It's certainly at its best in tokens but really that card is absurd and is a bomb as long as you can support a GG casting cost. And if you absolutely need synergy with it outside of the tokens deck, imagine being G/B and casting it after playing a Dread Drone

I'm bad at drafting, so there's probably that.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Overrun effects are almost always bombs.

Unless they cost 7 mana and don't give trample and ask you to tap the very creatures you want to be attacking with to cast it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Since we are talking MM2 drafting I drafted this absurd deck last night but am absolutely positive I built it wrong so how would you guys have built it? I 2-1'd losing to an absolutely insane ramp/domain deck I allowed when I went p1p3 glint hawk idol over rampant growth after p1p1 All is Dust and p1p2 Lodestone Golem, which I also think was a mistake. I think in retrospect I'd cut one Thoughtcast for the Gust Skimmer cause the deck worked best when I got aggressive draws but I really don't know if I should have got the Sunforger in there or tried to go for the Eldrazi or not, so what do you guys think

e: I cropped the picture wrong but there's an All is Dust is to the right of the Hoverguard

• Locked thread