Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Wait, can you bold the parts where that made it sound great?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

majormonotone posted:

the goty already came out, it's Splatoon

cogoty then, assuming x's date doesnt slip

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It might sound like an exaggeration but it kind of feels like the past 2015 years have all been leading up to the creation of splatoon

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Help Im Alive posted:

It might sound like an exaggeration but it kind of feels like the past 2015 years have all been leading up to the creation of splatoon

A bit understated, actually. You could probably take it back to the Greeks.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Speaking of Splatoon, it sold extremely well its first week in Japan, hitting almost 150k units. Not sure if that's because of amiibo or because the Japanese legit noticed a good game cam out.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Louisgod posted:

Speaking of Splatoon, it sold extremely well its first week in Japan, hitting almost 150k units. Not sure if that's because of amiibo or because the Japanese legit noticed a good game cam out.

There were a lot of stories about stock issues too, so if they'd been able to meet demand it could've sold a lot more.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Splatoon is Japan's Destiny but actually good.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
You know, playing Ranked Battles in Splatoon and looking at how the menu is set up has suddenly given me the deep fear that, when other ranked modes start coming out, there will only be one available to play at a time.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Also speaking of Splatoon...

What are the chances of this coming overseas?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Help Im Alive posted:

I played a bit today, just wanted to get a few rounds in. Then a level and a half later i've rotated through three weapons again and felt the pure joy of murder and supporting my team by controlling the center of the map while everyone covers the ink. Then a cat gave me cash for being SO HAWT!! so i could afford more ink guns. Pure joy all around.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

The demand for moe is quite high.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Ultigonio posted:

You know, playing Ranked Battles in Splatoon and looking at how the menu is set up has suddenly given me the deep fear that, when other ranked modes start coming out, there will only be one available to play at a time.

The whole point of how this game is structured is to prevent game modes from becoming uninhabited wastelands so it would make sense if they did that so they don't have a scenario where everyone's playing Rainmaker but no-one's playing Splat Zones. The other thing I was thinking looking at the menu myself earlier is how the maps box seems big enough to slot a 3rd option in, maybe once the map roster fills out a bit they're going to add a 3rd map slot to the rotation.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ultigonio posted:

Why? It sounds like a good idea actually.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

ManlyGrunting posted:

e: man, I was cautiously optimistic about Xenoblade X, but this doesn't sound too promising: the party being best buds forever and being acting cheerleaders to each other gave the game a lot of its character. I still wish renting games was still a thing. :sigh:

Did Gamefly go under and I didn't notice?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So I think I'm at the tipping point to buying a WiiU, but want some thoughts from people who have the system first.

I like the idea of a Nintendo console.

I like many of the games. I "really" want Lego Undercover, Pikmin, Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, ZombieU, Splatoon, and Wind Waker HD ( why wasn't Majora's Mask 3D released on the WiiU, that'd have made this an instant purchase. ). I would enjoy Captain Toad, Hyrule Warriors, SMBU/Luigi, and Super Mario World 3D. Coming up, I'd probably be interested in Woolly World, SMTxFE, and Legend of Zelda Open World. That's 7 games I really want to play, 12 I'd be interested in playing, or 15 total that I know about, which is usually enough for me to get a console.

But have they been talking about anything else? Will that be it for the WiiU? I heard mention of a new console/phone games recently, and I'm curious if this is basically the last lineup for the WiiU. Should I be expecting them to pull out some interesting info at this next E3, or is it largely going to be a silent wait from now till next E3. I'm not sure that I really mind, as that's a pretty good number of games, but I'm still flipflopping back and forth as to whether or not I should grab a WiiU now while Splatoon's multiplayer is still active, or if I should wait until November to get one for cheaper on Black Friday/hopefully hear about 1-2 more interesting games I'll want to play.

I've never been a big console guy so I'm not sure how this whole thing works. I usually pick consoles up at the very end of their life when I can get a deal for it/all it's major exclusives for ~$500 and play them then. Otherwise I usually just grab third party stuff on my PC. A console with no third party but decent first party support is fine, I just haven't been paying attention to Nintendo much outside of hearing Splatoon is totally worth it, and really wanting to play it.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Rookersh posted:

So I think I'm at the tipping point to buying a WiiU, but want some thoughts from people who have the system first.

Buy a WiiU.

If you're worried about future releases, don't be, like half the games on your list are games that we never knew existed until they were announced at E3, and then came out later the same year and turned out to be great. That's been Nintendo's pattern for a while now and it's working pretty well I'd say.

So I say wait for E3, it's only in a couple weeks, and if the lineup still looks interesting, buy a WiiU.

PS: Majora's Mask is on WiiU as well, though only in Wii Mode as a Virtual Console release, so it's just the N64 version, but hey, it's the best release of the N64 version, with a lot of the slowdown and clipping removed. So if you don't want a 3DS but still want to play Majora's Mask, you can.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 4, 2015

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Also get Mario Kart 8.

And all of its DLC.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Guys I want like 20 games for this console but I can't decide if I really want it, what should I do?

Rookersh posted:

( why wasn't Majora's Mask 3D released on the WiiU, that'd have made this an instant purchase. ).

Why would they do that when you can get the original on the Wii VC. There's your instant purchase that hinges on a 15 year old game for some reason.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 4, 2015

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Plus, if you don't already have a Nintendo console, remember that that WiiU will play the Wii library, assuming you buy a wiimote. It's a no-brainer buy if you dig Nintendo games. WiiU is a very good console.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
If you trust Mario, you should get a Wii U.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Rookersh posted:

I like the idea of a Nintendo console.

I like many of the games. I "really" want Lego Undercover, Pikmin, Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, ZombieU, Splatoon, and Wind Waker HD ( why wasn't Majora's Mask 3D released on the WiiU, that'd have made this an instant purchase. ). I would enjoy Captain Toad, Hyrule Warriors, SMBU/Luigi, and Super Mario World 3D. Coming up, I'd probably be interested in Woolly World, SMTxFE, and Legend of Zelda Open World. That's 7 games I really want to play, 12 I'd be interested in playing, or 15 total that I know about, which is usually enough for me to get a console.

But have they been talking about anything else? Will that be it for the WiiU? I heard mention of a new console/phone games recently, and I'm curious if this is basically the last lineup for the WiiU. Should I be expecting them to pull out some interesting info at this next E3, or is it largely going to be a silent wait from now till next E3. I'm not sure that I really mind, as that's a pretty good number of games, but I'm still flipflopping back and forth as to whether or not I should grab a WiiU now while Splatoon's multiplayer is still active, or if I should wait until November to get one for cheaper on Black Friday/hopefully hear about 1-2 more interesting games I'll want to play.

I've never been a big console guy so I'm not sure how this whole thing works. I usually pick consoles up at the very end of their life when I can get a deal for it/all it's major exclusives for ~$500 and play them then. Otherwise I usually just grab third party stuff on my PC. A console with no third party but decent first party support is fine, I just haven't been paying attention to Nintendo much outside of hearing Splatoon is totally worth it, and really wanting to play it.

Wait the two weeks and watch the Nintendo Digital Event at E3 to see even more games they're coming up with, it'll convince you for sure if you're already in the tipping point.

If you're in the U.S. then save this handy link also: https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/p...goryId=cat20005 The console + Nintendoland and Super Mario 3D World for 225 bucks, refurbished by Nintendo so it's practically brand new.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Based on anime costumes in games like Tales Of, 0%.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Rookersh posted:

But have they been talking about anything else? Will that be it for the WiiU? I heard mention of a new console/phone games recently, and I'm curious if this is basically the last lineup for the WiiU. Should I be expecting them to pull out some interesting info at this next E3, or is it largely going to be a silent wait from now till next E3.

There isn't a new Nintendo console coming right away, and definitely not one that'll get revealed at this E3. Iwata did inform investors that they are working on new hardware codenamed NX, but that was just to reaffirm that they're not leaving that side of the business; whatever that system is, it's nowhere near ready to showcase.

Really, their hardware division is always busy on something (and development on a next-gen console often begins very soon after the current gen launches), so Iwata was just confirming an open secret in order to make a point.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I only want the new Nintendo console to play the new Splatoon on it

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The Splatoon Player would be a huge improvement over Nintendo's recent console naming conventions...

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Speaking of refurbished consoles, I know a dude who used to work at the customer support call center for Nintendo of America and he told me that the refurbished units are manually tested by the engineers who put them together to make sure they work, unlike the new units which come straight out of some Chinese factory.

Davinci fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 4, 2015

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Wait the two weeks and watch the Nintendo Digital Event at E3 to see even more games they're coming up with, it'll convince you for sure if you're already in the tipping point.

If you're in the U.S. then save this handy link also: https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/p...goryId=cat20005 The console + Nintendoland and Super Mario 3D World for 225 bucks, refurbished by Nintendo so it's practically brand new.

Yeah I think this is what I'm going to do.

I was checking around online for deals on games, and for some reason Undercover and Pikmin 3 range from $60-$80? Is that just an online thing, and if I actually go store to store to try and find them I could get them cheaper? That seems bananas for two launch year titles. ZombieU is $10, Wonderful 101 is $20ish, and Bayo 2 is $30ish, all of those seem to add up properly, and feel like good prices for how old they are. I'm not spending $80 on Lego Undercover though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Speaking of, here are NOA's refurb prices on a few games: https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/p...=pop&navCount=2

Mario Kart 8 - $33
New Super Mario Bros. U / New Super Luigi U - $33
Super Mario 3D World - $33

Mario Kart 8 / Wiimote Plus / Wii Wheel - $60

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 4, 2015

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rookersh posted:

Yeah I think this is what I'm going to do.

I was checking around online for deals on games, and for some reason Undercover and Pikmin 3 range from $60-$80? Is that just an online thing, and if I actually go store to store to try and find them I could get them cheaper? That seems bananas for two launch year titles. ZombieU is $10, Wonderful 101 is $20ish, and Bayo 2 is $30ish, all of those seem to add up properly, and feel like good prices for how old they are. I'm not spending $80 on Lego Undercover though.
They're out of print. Pikmin you can get digitally, I don't know about Lego. Also never expect to get a first party Nintendo game for much under MSRP no matter how old it is.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Lego City Undercover is also on the eShop. It's $49.99.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Davinci posted:

Speaking of refurbished consoles, I know a dude who used to work at the customer support call center for Nintendo of America and he told me that the refurbished units are manually tested by the engineers who put them together to make sure they work, unlike the new units which come straight out of some Chinese factory.

There's a conspiracy floating around that refurbs are just basic console with swapped shells and upgraded HDDs from 8 to 32GB

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What are the hardest Amiibo's to find? I'm beginning to get the Amiibo itch and I want shulk, lucina, and Robin. Are those still available?

I should probably note I'm not willing to pay more than $10-20 for one.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What are the hardest Amiibo's to find? I'm beginning to get the Amiibo itch and I want shulk, lucina, and Robin. Are those still available?

I think Wii Fit Trainer and Marth are the white whales. You could probably get Shulk, Lucina, and Robin if you're very clever and shop around since they just came out.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Oh. RIP :cawg:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

I think Wii Fit Trainer and Marth are the white whales. You could probably get Shulk, Lucina, and Robin if you're very clever and shop around since they just came out.

Oh. RIP :cawg:

Pretty much if I can't buy it in a store for retail price then it's off my radar. I saw Robin on ebay for $50 and I just cried inside.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I hope you enjoy crying.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It's possible to get them for those prices, right off the store shelf. In Australia :v:.

Rookersh posted:

why wasn't Majora's Mask 3D released on the WiiU, that'd have made this an instant purchase.

The original N64 version is on the Wii Virtual Console, and it'll probably turn up on the WiiU Virtual Console eventually as well. The 3DS version was far more inevitable due to the Ocarina of Time port at launch.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Pretty much if I can't buy it in a store for retail price then it's off my radar. I saw Robin on ebay for $50 and I just cried inside.

Just buy the 40$ figma for Lucina

It's less than the amiibos will cost to get for the next 8 months

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The Splatoon Amiibo 3 pack, MSRP $40, is going for $100 MINIMUM on Amazon in Canada. I just want my Splatoon amiibos goddamn it :(

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

The Splatoon Amiibo 3 pack, MSRP $40, is going for $100 MINIMUM on Amazon in Canada. I just want my Splatoon amiibos goddamn it :(

I wanted to buy the amiibo 3 pack but it was sold out everywhere I looked, and I already have inkboy, and I don't know anyone who'd want to buy just inkboy. The package is somewhere in the trash in the dumpster, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

God help me I've found myself wanting amiibos and I don't know why. I bought a Kirby because he is cute as heck and I've pre-ordered the wool Yoshi because I'm not a loving monster, but is this some kind of slippery slope? I don't even intend to use the things I just like their funny little faces.

If they ever release a MegaDrive era Sonic I will sell my family into slavery just for the chance to hold it

• Locked thread