Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Recently finished House of Suns and loved the poo poo out of it - maybe continue with more Reynolds? I liked that HoS felt reined in compared to what most of Reynolds other stuff sounds like.

John Lee narrates Revelation Space and the rest of the Reynolds stuff, so if you like him and the recent posts haven't made it clear, you should definitely do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Tanith posted:

John Lee narrates Revelation Space and the rest of the Reynolds stuff, so if you like him and the recent posts haven't made it clear, you should definitely do this.

I was impatient and did exactly this with some of my extra audible credits. Liking it so far!

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Finished Nemesis Games. Kind of blitzed through since the building where I work was closed due to a power failure all afternoon. I thought it was very enjoyable. A ton of focus on the non-Holden characters, and a more large scale, plot centric story.

Only complaints so far are that there were a few too many plot contrivances, one in particular being almost insanely implausibly coincidental, and that the ending didn't resolve anything, but it's book five of nine so what can you do. Overall it's a super dark tone and crazily engaging. Very empire strikes back.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Velius posted:

Finished Nemesis Games. Kind of blitzed through since the building where I work was closed due to a power failure all afternoon. I thought it was very enjoyable. A ton of focus on the non-Holden characters, and a more large scale, plot centric story.

Only complaints so far are that there were a few too many plot contrivances, one in particular being almost insanely implausibly coincidental, and that the ending didn't resolve anything, but it's book five of nine so what can you do. Overall it's a super dark tone and crazily engaging. Very empire strikes back.

Jesus, nine? I thought it was six.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Anticheese posted:

I would be all over a Bioware Revelation Space RPG.

Lets get the goon who ditched Bioware to write Banner Saga to do the adaption!

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Jesus, nine? I thought it was six.

It was extended to six. Then it was extended to nine.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Well since there are two authors there's less chance of them both dropping dead before finishing book 15. :shrug:

Velius posted:

So am I to take it that I'm not alone in wishing that Holden had died and that Miller had lived? Because I totally wish that, and have gotten increasingly more annoyed every time Holden shows his face in the later books.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I was impatient and did exactly this with some of my extra audible credits. Liking it so far!

rear end in a top hat Space Archaeologist and rear end in a top hat Space Ghostdad are one of my favorite teams ever.

Has SyFy released anything beyond that first trailer for The Expanse stuff they're doing?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Tanith posted:

rear end in a top hat Space Archaeologist and rear end in a top hat Space Ghostdad are one of my favorite teams ever.

Has SyFy released anything beyond that first trailer for The Expanse stuff they're doing?

Not that I could find. (I'm really amped for that show).

But Dark Matter starts next Friday, and Killjoys the Friday after, so there's that!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Jack2142 posted:

Lets get the goon who ditched Bioware to write Banner Saga to do the adaption!

I've not played Banner Saga, but it sounds like an appropriate setup for something like the Inhibitor exodus. God I want to play something in that setting badly.

Which book is about ghost dad and the archaeologist?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Not that I could find. (I'm really amped for that show).

But Dark Matter starts next Friday, and Killjoys the Friday after, so there's that!

Oh holy poo poo, now I have something to do on Friday nights. (FML)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Tanith posted:

There was a second trailer which showed quite a bit more. On phone so can't find link now.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Anticheese posted:

Which book is about ghost dad and the archaeologist?

I was being silly in reference to Dan and Calvin Sylveste in Revelation Space

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

jng2058 posted:

Well since there are two authors there's less chance of them both dropping dead before finishing book 15. :shrug:

So am I to take it that I'm not alone in wishing that Holden had died and that Miller had lived? Because I totally wish that, and have gotten increasingly more annoyed every time Holden shows his face in the later books.
How many did you read exactly? I hear this a lot from people who stopped at book 2.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Velius posted:

Finished Nemesis Games. Kind of blitzed through since the building where I work was closed due to a power failure all afternoon. I thought it was very enjoyable. A ton of focus on the non-Holden characters

Does it feature foul-mouthed UN grandma? This will sort of determine whether I read it right now or a bit later.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
Surprise Expanse! Nice.
No grandmas as I can see. I didn't dare to google too hard, in case I spoiled the plot/ending etc.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Yes, but she's a foul-mouthed Iranian grandma now.

e: oops, misread the question and thought people were asking about the TV show.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Groke posted:

Does it feature foul-mouthed UN grandma? This will sort of determine whether I read it right now or a bit later.
We get some secondhand Angry UN Grannie, but sadly I don't think she appears personally.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

colonel_korn posted:

Yes, but she's a foul-mouthed Iranian grandma now.

e: oops, misread the question and thought people were asking about the TV show.

I already have questions. Avasarala wasn't in book 1 was she?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I already have questions. Avasarala wasn't in book 1 was she?

You are correct.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Kesper North posted:

You are correct.

I mean, I knew that.. looks like they're definitely going to be changing the story up quite a bit then.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I mean, I knew that.. looks like they're definitely going to be changing the story up quite a bit then.

If only the writers would realize that Avaserala should have a much bigger part in every book!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

coyo7e posted:

How many did you read exactly? I hear this a lot from people who stopped at book 2.

I'm about halfway through book five right now. I'm appreciating the depth we're getting on the rest of the Roci crew, and even the Holden chapters seem to be as much about Fred and Monica as Jim so in that regard the book's better for me than the last couple.

Maybe it's just me, but the whiny "oh woe is me" protagonist always pisses me off. I did bail out of the second book of The Wheel of Time precisely because I couldn't handle whiny Rand any longer. Holden strikes a similar chord for me, especially in Cibola Burn where he spends the entire novel ignoring Miller's increasingly desperate pleas to investigate the planet-killer stuff. It's made especially hilarious, because in Nemesis Games, Holden spends times grousing that no one's listening to him about the danger Miller warned him about, when he himself spent the last two books ignoring that very same threat, the hypocritical gently caress!

In short, Jim Holden should die in a fire. Bring back Miller!

Vaz
Feb 15, 2002
Vurt Refugee

Kesper North posted:

If only the writers would realize that Avaserala should have a much bigger part in every book!

They should do a GRRM on Holden and co, and make Avaserala as a CENTRAL character. I would read whole drat nine books of that.

Haven't started fourth book yet because.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Just about done with Bio of a Space Tyrant. You guys were right, they're pretty bad books, but I go through stuff so fast I guess I've developed a tolerance (I also red all of the Drizzt stuff when I was a teen, ugh).

The thing that finally got to me though was the sixth book, which is supposed to be basically the events of the first five from the point of view of the sister, but is actually about 80% literally lifted paragraphs from the other books with occasional new text. Lazy as gently caress.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Vaz posted:

They should do a GRRM on Holden and co, and make Avaserala as a CENTRAL character. I would read whole drat nine books of that.

Haven't started fourth book yet because.

Didn't the TV show basically do that?

Also, I just finished Nemesis Games, and I really enjoyed it. Seemed like a return to the first book, although the plot hinges on some enormous loving coincidences. But whatever, it was a fun as gently caress adventure in space, and there was Grumpy Government Grandma and Honorable Space Marine.

faceglaven
Oct 24, 2013

WarLocke posted:

Just about done with Bio of a Space Tyrant. You guys were right, they're pretty bad books, but I go through stuff so fast I guess I've developed a tolerance (I also red all of the Drizzt stuff when I was a teen, ugh).

The thing that finally got to me though was the sixth book, which is supposed to be basically the events of the first five from the point of view of the sister, but is actually about 80% literally lifted paragraphs from the other books with occasional new text. Lazy as gently caress.

I did enjoy the politics aspect of that series, I wish there were more series with that kind of focus, aside from vorkosigan saga I haven't really come accross any.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

faceglaven posted:

I did enjoy the politics aspect of that series, I wish there were more series with that kind of focus, aside from vorkosigan saga I haven't really come accross any.

It's really hard to do well (see: the trade federation in Phantom Menace) and few authors even try. Asimov's Foundation series, sortof. Some of LeGuin's stuff, maybe, depending on what you're looking for. Problem is that political SF tends to be about political ideas, not about political horse-race competition.

Wheel of Time does a decent job on the fantasy side of things. Goblin Emperor does *great* fantasy politics. The old Deryni Chronicles books are cheesy-as-hell 80's fantasy but they do have some very good medieval politics sequences -- papal interdiction, excommunication, etc.

faceglaven
Oct 24, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's really hard to do well (see: the trade federation in Phantom Menace) and few authors even try. Asimov's Foundation series, sortof. Some of LeGuin's stuff, maybe, depending on what you're looking for. Problem is that political SF tends to be about political ideas, not about political horse-race competition.

Wheel of Time does a decent job on the fantasy side of things. Goblin Emperor does *great* fantasy politics. The old Deryni Chronicles books are cheesy-as-hell 80's fantasy but they do have some very good medieval politics sequences -- papal interdiction, excommunication, etc.

Goblin emperor sounds cool actually, I'm going to check that out followed by the Foundation series. Cheers

^^^^^ finished goblin emperor great book, thanks for the rec

faceglaven fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jun 8, 2015

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

faceglaven posted:

Some of the works of Karl Schroeder and Charles Stross go into political aspects of their worlds, though I'm not sure it's the dominant aspect of any of their works.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I loved Goblin Emperor a lot. It's a slow, introspective book with an interesting arc: there's a layer of court intrigue but the real story is everyone giving everyone else permission to warm up and be decent again.

I have what they're calling a 'geopolitical fantasy' coming out from Tor this fall, but it won't hit until September. If you're still looking then it's called The Traitor Baru Cormorant. And Robert Jackson Bennett's City of Stairs is fairly political, with a lot of talk about the relationship between theology and social behavior.

All fantasy though.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Finished the last bit of Bio over lunch, was thoroughly offput by the final chapter where all the spooky stuff that had happened off and on during the series but could usually be explained by fits of madness or fugues turns out to be, nope, it was magic all the time. The gently caress.

Started Consider Phlebas based on the suggestions here (and also my vague memory of having read Player of Games years ago - so long ago that I couldn't give you plot details, I basically remember "I read that book") and it's pretty good so far. I especially like that even though the Culture is portrayed as near-practically all-powerful they still go out of their way to mention other races (like the Dra'Azon, if I spelled that right) which even they don't want to mess with.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Phlebas is an odd duck in the Culture flock. It's pretty ugly. Terrible things happen in the other Culture novels, but in general I think they're a lot more charming.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Republic of Thieves, the third Locke Lamora book, is ostensibly about politics on the surface but once I got into it turns out it's really just another excuse to have a bunch of tricks and con artistry going on and the political stuff is window dressing only. I still had fun with it - con artistry is the core skill and career of the protagonists, after all - but this is the sort of thing you come to expect when you are promised "political intrigue" in the jacket.

For instance, I read NK Jemisin's The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms a month ago and it had a lot more politics going on (ethnic and geo-, especially).

Re: the Culture, I'd love to read a novel about Special Circumstances agents trying to rig an election in as subtle a way as possible, or something in that vein. I have a vague memory of Use of Weapons having a sequence where an operation like this was alluded to.

(Before anyone gets all politological here, I realize that defining "politics" as "an electoral horse race" or, say, "a revolution" is extremely narrow, but strangely enough this definition seems to be dominant in all spheres of pop culture except genre literature!)

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Velius posted:

I thought it was a well done story that knew exactly what its' place in the series was going to be. I can't wait to see how everything resolves. I also hope the TV show does well, because I really want to know who they'll cast as Bobbie.

JockstrapManthrust
Apr 30, 2013
I think I read Nemesis Games faster than anything I have read in a while, the pacing was perfect and I can't wait to find out where they are going with the story.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

The Thousand Cultures novels by John Barnes tend to be nothing but politics, and I enjoyed the hell out of 'em.

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe
I have to say I'm impressed by Evan Currie's On Silver Wings set of books. They're definitely weber-esque, but without the creepy sex (which makes them better, imo).

Some of the :science: reads like it's trying to be hard scifi but that gets somewhat lost in the other books with the introduction of some handwavium, but they're good reads. On the other hand, it's pretty schlock milfic, but it takes place in space, and there's at least some political machinations happening in the last book.

Basically, badass SOCOM female grunt in superarmour murders nasty aliens in spaaace. And that's what this thread is about, right?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

kalleth posted:

I have to say I'm impressed by Evan Currie's On Silver Wings set of books. They're definitely weber-esque, but without the creepy sex (which makes them better, imo).

Some of the :science: reads like it's trying to be hard scifi but that gets somewhat lost in the other books with the introduction of some handwavium, but they're good reads. On the other hand, it's pretty schlock milfic, but it takes place in space, and there's at least some political machinations happening in the last book.

Basically, badass SOCOM female grunt in superarmour murders nasty aliens in spaaace. And that's what this thread is about, right?

Point of order: You're mistaking Weber for Ringo. Weber doesn't do creepy sex, he just masturbates over missile volley numbers.

The rest sounds good though, gonna have to track this down.

e: Googling Evan Currie also led me to his Odyssey One series which I have obviously not read yet but the description of the first book seems possibly appropriate to the thread?

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

WarLocke posted:

Point of order: You're mistaking Weber for Ringo. Weber doesn't do creepy sex, he just masturbates over missile volley numbers.

Oops. Valid. I don't think there's a missile volley of over 3 figures in these books, even in the largest fights.. so there's that.

WarLocke posted:

e: Googling Evan Currie also led me to his Odyssey One series which I have obviously not read yet but the description of the first book seems possibly appropriate to the thread?

I tried them, and they're certainly worth including in the thread, but I couldn't personally get into them. I felt not much happened in the first book. Perhaps I'll try again...

• Locked thread