Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Scyther posted:

I've never played it, but poorly rated?

That seems pretty high to me.

That puts it just a few places above Talisman and Cards Against Humanity but I guess it's not that bad, just surprising to me. Not that it should matter much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

Not going to lie, I have a tough time getting people to play Tragedy Looper with me right now. Would different art help? I dunno, my play group probably just sucks.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Tendales posted:

It's looks like Z-Man's french overlords are putting out feelers about de-animeing Tragedy Looper.

This image is like stereotypical Japanese art vs. stereotypical Western art.png. The investigators go from 1 man and 2 women to 1 woman and 2 men, the characters get 15-20 years older, hair color becomes normal, guy with glasses becomes stubbly action hero, mastermind gets a fedora...

I'd probably hesitate more before buying the B version, it looks like terrible generic game #2515. Neither artwork is particularly good though, so I'd probably prefer they stay with the anime version just so future expansions are consistent with the copy I own.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
The Japanese group is two boys and one girl. :ssh:

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Some Numbers posted:

The Japanese group is two boys and one girl. :ssh:

The fact that I thought the opposite only reinforces my point.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Medium Style posted:

That puts it just a few places above Talisman and Cards Against Humanity but I guess it's not that bad, just surprising to me. Not that it should matter much.

So BGG really likes Talisman and CAH?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

QnoisX posted:

Not going to lie, I have a tough time getting people to play Tragedy Looper with me right now. Would different art help? I dunno, my play group probably just sucks.

I've heard such good things about the game that I'd buy the new art version. The only reason I wouldn't buy the current is none of my current group would play it with the current art.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

King Burgundy posted:

I've heard such good things about the game that I'd buy the new art version. The only reason I wouldn't buy the current is none of my current group would play it with the current art.

This. I also personally prefer it when the game protagonists/antagonists are identifiable as adults.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Make them all zombies, that alone will sell a few thousand copies.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

just make three editions of the game:

Zombie Looper
Medieval Village Looper
Anime Looper

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Cthulooper

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Medium Style posted:

PerniciousKnid posted:

So BGG really likes Talisman and CAH?

Ding ding ding!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Dirk the Average posted:

This. I also personally prefer it when the game protagonists/antagonists are identifiable as adults.

They're not supposed to be adults. They're supposed to be teens or post-teens.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Some Numbers posted:

They're not supposed to be adults. They're supposed to be teens or post-teens.

Right, and they spend a good deal of their time hanging out with high schoolers and going to the high school.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Tendales posted:

It's looks like Z-Man's french overlords are putting out feelers about de-animeing Tragedy Looper.

I suddenly have a 100% increase in interest in this game with that new art.

edit - in summary: I hate anime themed anything :v:

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

jeeves posted:

I suddenly have a 100% increase in interest in this game with that new art.

edit - in summary: I hate anime themed anything :v:

That doesn't sound like that much interest.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

OmegaGoo posted:

That doesn't sound like that much interest.

As I wrote that I realized a 100% increase of 0% doesn't seem like much. I meant that I suddenly have interest in the game whereas before I didn't.

Funny how much a theme can make or break a game in such a superfluous way. Sort of like book covers.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Maybe the retheme means we can stop having huge pointless arguments about anime every time someone mentions traglooper

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
How hostile would the reaction be to a thread that asks for quick descriptions of the actual mechanics of various board games? BGG is not helpful and I don't want to watch hour long videos of bullshit to get the basic idea of how a game is played, but drat if I don't want to shop for board games. I don't want to crap up this thread with tons of posts asking someone to describe X game in 1-2 paragraphs though either. I'm trying to solve both the shopping problem and also the problem that cold readings of rulebooks rarely give me a real idea of how a game is played.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Right, and they spend a good deal of their time hanging out with high schoolers and going to the high school.

A trio of adults spending a ton of time at a high school and interacting with high school students isn't suspicious at all.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

signalnoise posted:

How hostile would the reaction be to a thread that asks for quick descriptions of the actual mechanics of various board games? BGG is not helpful and I don't want to watch hour long videos of bullshit to get the basic idea of how a game is played, but drat if I don't want to shop for board games. I don't want to crap up this thread with tons of posts asking someone to describe X game in 1-2 paragraphs though either. I'm trying to solve both the shopping problem and also the problem that cold readings of rulebooks rarely give me a real idea of how a game is played.

I watch the drivethrureviews and have a pretty pro stalkergeekbuddies list that I use for the 'Analyze' function on BGG. Basically found a bunch of people who write good comments.

But it seems like you should just ask here? I don't think this thread can be crapped up further with actual discussion about board games

e: also if you have a commute or do laundry or something you can listen to The Long View and listen to a couple of goobers talk about a single game for 1-2 hours. I know you are looking for something that's time efficient, but I find it useful if I want to learn about a game and I'm going to be stuck in traffic for an hour or something else.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 4, 2015

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
OK, someone give me quick rundowns of how Elysium, Argent, Shogun, and Evolution are played

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I hope they don't ever do alternate art for Tragedy Looper so all the idiot babies who cry about anime will continue to be punished for their stupidity by not being able to play an amazing goddamn game.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Medium Style posted:

BGG ranking is heavily weighted by number of ratings and therefore not that useful for games with < 1000 ratings.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

signalnoise posted:

OK, someone give me quick rundowns of how Elysium, Argent, Shogun, and Evolution are played

Argent is worker placement with 12 hidden objectives that you can find out about during the game. Each worker is a certain type of mage that has an ability, so the order and type you place are very important. Kinda like Harry Potter meets Agricola.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Scyther posted:

I hope they don't ever do alternate art for Tragedy Looper so all the idiot babies who cry about anime will continue to be punished for their stupidity by not being able to play an amazing goddamn game.

This, unironically.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

signalnoise posted:

I'd just watch this http://drivethruvideos.com/argent-the-consortium-review/

It's like if Donald X Vaccarino designed a worker placement game. That had an anime hogwarts theme. Variable setup, asymmetric player powers, worker placement with powers, multiple paths to victory, directed attacks (with reparations for the victim so its not so bad), end game scoring based entirely on hidden objectives that can either be deduced by opponent behavior or discovered by spending in game actions.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Some Numbers posted:

This, unironically.

Scyther, like all good posters, subscribes to the school of sincere posting. There is no irony there.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I have an odd question, but maybe this thread can help.

A long time ago, I remember my D&D group was short a player, and the DM hauled out a board game we played instead. It was definitely D&D inspired, but I don't remember it being actually based on it; it sure wasn't Forgotten Realms, anyways.

The board was a big map, and the players alternated turns moving around. On the map were dungeons, with color coded difficulties (and correspondingly higher rewards), and towns, where there would be a market with magic item cards you could buy. The goal was accumulating power, maybe to eventually defeat a big bad, and IIRC something bad was happening as the turns went by; I remember pretty clearly that at some point one of the towns got destroyed. That's about all I can remember, but now I'm curious what the game was. Any chance that rings any bells for anyone?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bremen posted:

A long time ago, I remember my D&D group was short a player, and the DM hauled out a board game we played instead. It was definitely D&D inspired, but I don't remember it being actually based on it; it sure wasn't Forgotten Realms, anyways.

The board was a big map, and the players alternated turns moving around. On the map were dungeons, with color coded difficulties (and correspondingly higher rewards), and towns, where there would be a market with magic item cards you could buy. The goal was accumulating power, maybe to eventually defeat a big bad, and IIRC something bad was happening as the turns went by; I remember pretty clearly that at some point one of the towns got destroyed. That's about all I can remember, but now I'm curious what the game was. Any chance that rings any bells for anyone?

I think this is Mage Knight.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

SilverMike posted:

Argent is worker placement with 12 hidden objectives that you can find out about during the game. Each worker is a certain type of mage that has an ability, so the order and type you place are very important. Kinda like Harry Potter meets Agricola.

10 hidden objectives, 2 public objectives :spergin:

Argent really owns though.

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow

Bremen posted:

Sounds like Runebound.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Bremen posted:

Almost certainly Runebound.

Did you move by rolling big dice with terrain icons?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Countblanc posted:

I think this is Mage Knight.

Wikipedia says the board game version came out in 2011. This was probably like a decade ago.

OmegaGoo posted:

I don't remember the movement dice but the pictures seem familiar. Thanks!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

OmegaGoo posted:

That almost sounded interesting right up until that part.

I swear, I will have "roll to move is a lovely, lazy mechanic" carved into my headstone.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

That almost sounded interesting right up until that part.

I swear, I will have "roll to move is a lovely, lazy mechanic" carved into my headstone.

That is NOT the bad part of the game. All things considered, the movement was pretty cool.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

4 player expansion to Wir sind das Volk! in the works: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1315481/4p-expansion-works

quote:

In the extension, the two new players take on the role of the United States and Russia, assisting the FRG and the GDR respectively. The card selection mechanism was expanded with new cards (which were still not final) and completely transformed. There was a fierce new part, but quite exciting in a game sense. I will not say too much, because there may be some changes, but it was faster than expected and brought a lot of tension. Richard was probably not quite as happy as Peer and the rest.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Bubble-T posted:

BGG ranking is heavily weighted by number of ratings and therefore not that useful for games with < 1000 ratings.

I was not aware of this, thank you. Makes more sense now.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Scyther posted:

Seriously the loving anime talk that goes on in here is like a bunch of children, except children don't know to be upset about stupid poo poo yet.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

4 player expansion to Wir sind das Volk! in the works: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1315481/4p-expansion-works

Sweet, I'll probably get to finally play it, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Scyther posted:

i'm on board, gently caress those guys