Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Seriously. People need to realize this isn't what the likes of me are getting at when we say combat is janky, or some aspects of the game are undercooked. I dunno, maybe it's just so funny to me because all these rebuttals are coming from someone who poo poo himself over damage numbers.

It's funny that you've retreated from your original complaint so far that you're going back hundreds of pages to quote me about a HUD issue to bolster your "argument" about combat and now you say that "combat is bad" "isn't what the likes of me are getting at." Hey at least this game has taught you how to dodge!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Foxhound posted:

Are you playing through Galaxy?

Yep. Things going wonky through the client?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Kawabata posted:

It's because you haven't fought Keira Metz on Death March. She zaps you from 20 meters away and then tps as you get close. Sometimes the camera will graciously let you see where she tped to in time, sometimes it won't and you'll get zapped in the balls from a random spot. Every zap is 1/3 of your life and she takes forever to die. The cherry on top is that every time you're close enough to swing at her you don't know if Geralt will actually land anything or pirouette and hit the air while she tps away again, literally laughing at you, the player.

More complaints about optional fights on Death March being doo hard? :rolleyes:

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

ymgve posted:

Well the devs have said it is a bug and that they're patching it, so I don't think that explanation covers it fully.

No, that explanation would actually fit the bug pretty well. There's still a bug/error in the mismatch between displayed and internal level, but it would explain why so many people receive no experience from the many hour sequence of specific Novigrad quests.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Anyone think the player leveling too fast to do all the content is deliberate? I don't mean the XP bug, I just mean there are too many like Level 10 quests to do before you hit level 17. This game is so big, it wouldn't surprise me if they intentionally have the player outlevel the Level 10 Skellige content if they do all the Level 10 Velen content. A way to ensure some replay value.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I hope Witcher 4 lets you play as the first troll witcher. Understanded?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Comrade Flynn posted:

I hope Witcher 4 lets you play as the first troll witcher. Understanded?

Meses Betterthangeralt, meses swishy-swashy witcherses. Cumma from da schools of rockses.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Is there a reason Imlerith is surrounded by a bunch of succubi?

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

turtlecrunch posted:

There's a conversation about him that explains he loves to indulge in the flesh.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Meses Betterthangeralt, meses swishy-swashy witcherses. Cumma from da schools of rockses.

:allears:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

turtlecrunch posted:

It's a sabbath.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
The White Frost seemed like some stupid bullshit Blizzard Lv. XXX spell that a really dumb mage cast and froze everything. It's literally just this giant glowing orb pulsing an infinite blizzard through every dimensional hole that connects to its world. It also seemed like the wizard Wild Hunt dude may have just bottled some into his staff and used it to freeze everything when they raid. The White Frost still fits since all the world cooling stuff just comes from legends and prophecies, but that would be a pretty hilarious turn of events if it was just a gently caress-up by some uber mage.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How do I get to the tunnels below the city for the cat gear scavenger hunt? I went up top and to the bottom of the cliff and it seems to be in the middle of a vertical cliff.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

How do I get to the tunnels below the city for the cat gear scavenger hunt? I went up top and to the bottom of the cliff and it seems to be in the middle of a vertical cliff.

In Novigrad? There's sewer entrances near the channels and the harbor.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

NESguerilla posted:

There's a path along the cliff side a bit south of the marker.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Thunderbro posted:

The White Frost seemed like some stupid bullshit Blizzard Lv. XXX spell that a really dumb mage cast and froze everything. It's literally just this giant glowing orb pulsing an infinite blizzard through every dimensional hole that connects to its world. It also seemed like the wizard Wild Hunt dude may have just bottled some into his staff and used it to freeze everything when they raid. The White Frost still fits since all the world cooling stuff just comes from legends and prophecies, but that would be a pretty hilarious turn of events if it was just a gently caress-up by some uber mage.

I always thought it was a tear when the conjunction happened and introduced magic into the world. A cosmic event that damaged the fabric of space and time, making universes reach heat death extremely quick. A state of eternal entropy. Since Ciri is the lady of time and space, she is the only one who can mend the tear and make things whole again.

Anyway that is my totally unsubstantiated theory

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

There's a path along the cliff side a bit south of the marker.

Cool thanks guys.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I'm playing through the game again and at the spot where you kill the first Griffin, I never looked at the house next to the windmill.

there's apparently a cellar and you can find some decent gear down there but there's a locked chest. Am I wrong in thinking I can scour for the key in White Orchard or is it for later?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Unfunny Poster posted:

So I'm playing through the game again and at the spot where you kill the first Griffin, I never looked at the house next to the windmill.

there's apparently a cellar and you can find some decent gear down there but there's a locked chest. Am I wrong in thinking I can scour for the key in White Orchard or is it for later?

It's part of a treasure hunt quest. You'll find the key with some exploring.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

NESguerilla posted:

Cool thanks guys.
Yeah if you are standing on the cliff above the marker, facing north looking out over the water, you can do a 180 then go past the building that is on your right and look for a path that goes down and to your right, then you'll find a cave. Dunno if spoiler is necessary but I have seen plenty of stuff in this thread that I wish was spoilered so I would rather be safe than sorry.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Get Junior question

There's a hanging woman in Junior's room, shes highlighted red but I can't find any interaction, am I missing anything?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Get Junior question

There's a hanging woman in Junior's room, shes highlighted red but I can't find any interaction, am I missing anything?

i had the same thing happen. i just ignored it and everything seemed to be fine

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

I barely got through the first encounter of Witcher 2, but Witcher 3 is a great game. It's at least 10x better than Skyrim.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I barely got through the first encounter of Witcher 2, but Witcher 3 is a great game. It's at least 10x better than Skyrim.

Ah man, that's too bad. Witcher 2 is a gooood game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like TW3 better than Skyrim at this point, but man I prefer first person perspectives in games like this. I feel like it would have hooked me twice as much.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

NESguerilla posted:

I like TW3 better than Skyrim at this point, but man I prefer first person perspectives in games like this. I feel like it would have hooked me twice as much.

Agreed. Walking through Novigrad or Kaer Trolde in first person would be amazing.

Although on the other hand I like feeling a connection to my swords and armor, which are always the first things to get forgotten in first person games.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 4, 2015

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Arglebargle III posted:

More complaints about optional fights on Death March being doo hard? :rolleyes:

tell you what, you take care of the damage numbers for us, I'll stop talking about the bad combat in this game

do we have a deal

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

i feel happy I put together a powerful pc a couple years ago which handled this game like a champ I didn't feel the end of the game was that choppy despite having alot of cutscenes.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Drifter posted:

Ah man, that's too bad. Witcher 2 is a gooood game.

hes right about the prologue being awful. definitely worth sticking through it though

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
It would be pretty awesome if while your sword was sheathed you could be in first person view, and then when you drew your sword you would get pulled back into the standard 3rd person view.

Or just whenever the combat 'flag' turns on you pull back to third, and when it flicks off you're back in first.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's part of a treasure hunt quest. You'll find the key with some exploring.

I knew it :argh:

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Geralt just spent a couple of minutes gawking at Keira Metz's tits and in the conversation that followed the animation froze as if someone hit pause, but the scene is still going beneath the pause. Subtitle up, Geralt making a goofy face because he's mid sentence and someone somewhere talking. I think at some point I could choose dialogue options but was still stuck on Geralt's face.

Anyone had something similar? Seems like I'm basically stuck.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
The Crones quest line baffles me to no end.

I freed the Spirit because I didn't want the orphans to be eaten by the crones; the witches knew it was the spirit that let the children escape and not Anna, but they're still absolutely dead-set on punishing her. What the gently caress? Also turns out the mare is killing people randomly (again), doesn't do anything to the Crones when I face the Fiend, doesn't manifest itself ever again either. Hasn't she been imprisoned for hundreds of years? As soon as she's free, whelp, who gives a gently caress about the crones, let's kill some clueless villagers.

Anna dies, Baron kills himself.

So, uhm

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

m.hache posted:

I don't know what's changed in the last 24 hours but I can't play for more than 3 minutes without it crashing to desktop.

No idea if it's a new set of Nvidia drivers or what but it's really pissing me off.

GTX 970.

Run the game without GOG Galaxy.

Also I found the dev console mod and don't care about xp Aids or the late patch anymore, will prolly be finished before it arrives.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 4, 2015

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Kawabata posted:

I freed the Spirit because I didn't want the orphans to be eaten by the crones; the witches knew it was the spirit that let the children escape and not Anna, but they're still absolutely dead-set on punishing her. What the gently caress? Also turns out the mare is killing people randomly (again), doesn't do anything to the Crones when I face the Fiend, doesn't manifest itself ever again either. Hasn't she been imprisoned for hundreds of years? As soon as she's free, whelp, who gives a gently caress about the crones, let's kill some clueless villagers.

So, uhm

Welcome to the world of the Witcher. Not everything will be sunshines and rainbows. You just pick the evil that is acceptable to you.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Kawabata posted:

So, uhm

The spirit isn't powerful enough to destroy the crones; it attacks the village because they openly worship them. The crones punish Anna because they know you were the one who freed the spirit and also know loving with Anna will gently caress with your "friends."

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Kawabata posted:

:xcom:

hot salad
Jun 25, 2005

Did you just say
the word 'scoff'?

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I had a pretty similar experience with W2, but there is a good/thorough LP available (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3567458) which goes through both the Roche & Iorveth paths.

But yeah W3 is loving incredible (despite a few rough edges that have been brought up a million times already). I've dumped at least 60 hours into this and I am just at the Ugly Baby quest (apparently the end of Act 1), and still have a million sidequests open. So much poo poo to do, it's insane.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

This quest with Craven and Morkenvald is the weirdest episode of CSI ever.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Welcome to the world of the Witcher. Not everything will be sunshines and rainbows. You just pick the evil that is acceptable to you.

It's bigger than that thematically. A big theme of the series is that Geralt (and the player) are on the periphery of history. The world is full of agents, many of them more powerful than Geralt, like Emhyr or Philippa who are going to act regardless of what the PC does. Staying "above" politics does nothing but make you feel good. Doing nothing is a choice; it lets the other agents in the world shape the future. All you can do is try to do the right thing as you see it, and the world shakes out how it does.

For all that Geralt is a bit of a Mary Sue the writing consistently subverts him as power fantasy protagonist.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yeah. Although the first game was probably the most grimdark... the second is political... and this one I feel like is mostly fun and adventure besides the occasional throwback, which is fine by me.