Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

btw i got the xp issue really early on and beat the game at level 35. its really a non issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Well, finished the game. The last act made me regret buying on the ps4 as it has you staring at loading screens every 10-30 seconds, and also keeps using that weird "screen goes out of focus while we load the next line of dialogue" thing during every cinematic, and on top of that has some really choppy framerates. Pretty much made it all really unenjoyable to sit through.

Anyway, before that the game was pretty good. Mostly due to the open world being fun to explore, and exploration feeling meaningful. No running into a bunch of copy/paste dungeons or whatever. I don't really like fantasy narratives, but the main quests for the local locations were pretty great, especially Vellen.

I'll probably pick it up again if the expansions introduce new land areas. Otherwise, for me, there's not much point in playing again since it seems like your decisions only make minor differences aside from cinematics. I wish combat was a bit more enjoyable, because it would give some purpose to continue messing around in the open world after the main game and witcher contracts were done/it would make a replay sound more fun. Or if the game had the potential for dicking around like GTA or Ground Zeroes.

Overall I think I'm more impressed by the incredible amount of work that went into making the game than I actually enjoyed the game itself. It was good and I think I got my money's worth, its just not the amazing experience I'd kind of built it up to be... But the last acts choppiness might also be souring my impression a bit.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Blue Raider posted:

thats because unlike bioware, they made their previous game pretty much worthless plot wise to its sequel

and they were wise to do so because witcher 2 involved 100% too much politicking

It would be cool if more people acknowledged, even if it was just a bit of dialogue here or there, your actions from the previous games, but it's not a big deal.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
If you fail to recruit Keira for the battle at Kaer Morhen, does Lambert bite it?

Speaking of seems like the recruitment process was pretty meaningless. Other than Zoltan getting a badass cutscene it seemed like the other characters were window dressing for when you enter/exit the sequence. Kind of a shame.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
So what does the XP bug actually do and when does it kick in?

I'm currently in Velen having completed the Keira Metz tree and nearly finished the Baron tree. At what point should I stop and wait for the patch?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Execu-speak posted:

I'm currently in Velen having completed the Keira Metz tree and nearly finished the Baron tree. At what point should I stop and wait for the patch?

You earn no experience from quests that should give you experience. It seems to kick in if you complete a quest you're outleveled for. You're not supposed to earn XP there but something gets flipped and you don't earn any period.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I think fisticuffs gives you different health or something because there's a dude in Skellige during the feast that just loving destroyed me in spite of me having a ton of vitality and being fairly over leveled and only taking 3-4 hits. That guy has a crazy fast jab too.

With guys that have fast, hard-hitting jabs, you really need to back up and force them to take bigger swings. Had a tough time with the elf champion in Novigrad when I kept getting hung up on that well or whatever it is in the middle of the ring.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Execu-speak posted:

It sounds like

1) the bug is related to completing grayed quests, after which secondary and maybe contract (or even main??) quests stop rewarding experience when they should
2) grayed quests aren't supposed to award XP anyway combined with the very low XP from most secondary quests is making a lot of players think they have the bug when they don't

I haven't encountered it and it seems to only affect a minority of players in a significant way. Just keep playing, if you do a handful of main and contract quests (which should award large amounts of XP) and notice you're not getting XP, stop.

Edit: and if you're really paranoid about it, just skip grayed side quests for now.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You earn no experience from quests that should give you experience. It seems to kick in if you complete a quest you're outleveled for. You're not supposed to earn XP there but something gets flipped and you don't earn any period.

That's weird because I'm currently overlevelled for the green story quests (current lvl 11 and the quests recommend 8) but they're still giving me XP. Is there a threshold that anyone knows of?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't know what's changed in the last 24 hours but I can't play for more than 3 minutes without it crashing to desktop.

No idea if it's a new set of Nvidia drivers or what but it's really pissing me off.

GTX 970.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Execu-speak posted:

That's weird because I'm currently overlevelled for the green story quests (current lvl 11 and the quests recommend 8) but they're still giving me XP. Is there a threshold that anyone knows of?

Green still gives experience. When they hit gray is when you shouldn't earn experience.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.

Execu-speak posted:

Looking over the rewards.xml, I'm starting to wonder if there even is an XP bug. Basically, it seems like every quest has two levels - a suggested level that appears in the journal, and a 'hidden' level that you can see in the reward file. These levels do not appear to be identical, so it's possible for a quest to be, for example, suggested level 10 but actually real level 8. Since we know that quests that are 6 levels below your own do not yield experience, I think this is where the perception of a bug is coming from. A level 15 player would think, based on his journal, that the suggested level 10 quest should give him experience, but in reality the quest is actually marked as level 8 in the rewards.xml. So no experience. This also explains why it's been impossible to pinpoint where exactly this xp bug actually appears - different players are doing various quests at different levels.

e: or perhaps it would be more accurate to say that the quest itself has a "suggested" level, but the various steps inside the quest that actually yield the reward, for example searching a certain room in the Baron's keep, has their own level. If that makes sense.

Magical Zero fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 4, 2015

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Wachepti posted:

It would be cool if more people acknowledged, even if it was just a bit of dialogue here or there, your actions from the previous games, but it's not a big deal.

i agree, it was very odd that saskia didnt at least come up in conversation

really though i liked witcher 2 a lot and played it through twice but i frankly couldnt tell you a drat thing that the game was about in hindsight

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Magical Zero posted:

Looking over the rewards.xml, I'm starting to wonder if there even is an XP bug. Basically, it seems like every quest has two levels - a suggested level that appears in the journal, and a 'hidden' level that you can see in the reward file. These levels do not appear to be identical, so it's possible for a quest to be, for example, suggested level 10 but actually real level 8. Since we know that quests that are 6 levels below your own do not yield experience, I think this is where the perception of a bug is coming from. A level 15 player would think, based on his journal, that the suggested level 10 quest should give him experience, but in reality the quest is actually marked as level 8 in the rewards.xml. So no experience. This also explains why it's been impossible to pinpoint where exactly this xp bug actually appears - different players are doing various quests at different levels.

Hmm that makes sense, I guess I'll keep trucking on then.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.

Execu-speak posted:

Hmm that makes sense, I guess I'll keep trucking on then.
This is just my theory, though, so I can't guarantee that there isn't some sort of bug involved as well. But it definitely explains some of my recent xp issues - for example, Count Reuven's Treasure is suggested as level 12 in the journal, but the various steps in the rewards.xml specify level 9.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

RatHat posted:

I loved when you first meet him for his sidequest that one of the dialogue options is "What the hell Lambert?" which was exactly what I was thinking at the time.

This is a part of the game I don't think gets nearly enough acknowledgment. The dialogue is of course written from the point of view and language of the characters, but the dialogue choices are always written from the perspective of the player.

There are some fantastic, totally smart rear end dialogue choices that never actually make it to the script the characters read, which is both awesome and at the same time sort of a shame. Choices like "what are you talking about? You didn't do poo poo" and "None of your business who I hosed, bitch" make me smile every time.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 4, 2015

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I had a conversation option on my Iorveth import save to ask a relevant person Philippa about what happened with Saskia. There was also a dwarf in Hattori's quest who said he would do me a favor because of what I did at Vergen. There certainly isn't much reactivity on that end but there is a little bit.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Magical Zero posted:

e: or perhaps it would be more accurate to say that the quest itself has a "suggested" level, but the various steps inside the quest that actually yield the reward, for example searching a certain room in the Baron's keep, has their own level. If that makes sense.

Well the devs have said it is a bug and that they're patching it, so I don't think that explanation covers it fully.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Lambert might be the worst character in any game.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Comrade Flynn posted:

Lambert might be the worst character in any game.

I loved when you first meet him for his sidequest that one of the dialogue options is "What the hell Lambert?" which was exactly what I was thinking at the time.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.

ymgve posted:

Well the devs have said it is a bug and that they're patching it, so I don't think that explanation covers it fully.
Guess we'll find out next week. Personally, though, I'm actually finding that this explains every issue of lost experience I've encountered so far. But obviously that's based on a limited number of quests.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

m.hache posted:

I don't know what's changed in the last 24 hours but I can't play for more than 3 minutes without it crashing to desktop.

No idea if it's a new set of Nvidia drivers or what but it's really pissing me off.

GTX 970.

Are you playing through Galaxy?

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

There was also a dwarf in Hattori's quest who said he would do me a favor because of what I did at Vergen. There certainly isn't much reactivity on that end but there is a little bit.
That's cool. I know the dwarf you mean. I imported my Roche path save so the dwarf knew of me through Skalen Skaggs, and while friendly, he wasn't willing to do that favour for free. Little things!

Speaking of carry-ons from Witcher 2, I wonder what happened to Anais once I rescued Triss and left Roche to deal with that particular pickle himself? Last I saw they were leaving Loc Muinne together. Haven't seen a thing about her.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

jaete posted:

Someone was saying he wasn't able to do that stuff in the late game. Besides I want to do it now, not in another 110 hours :saddowns:

But you're saying there's nothing else besides the figurines and the crystal?

Nope you're fine, and yes that's it. I did everything besides the crystal in the last act and the quests retriggered when they became available. I'm positive the crystal can wait until then since there is an associated quest that triggers and there are a few perfect conversation moments for you to say, "uh guys, I think I know how to find that one sorceress.".

Davoren posted:

With guys that have fast, hard-hitting jabs, you really need to back up and force them to take bigger swings. Had a tough time with the elf champion in Novigrad when I kept getting hung up on that well or whatever it is in the middle of the ring.

Yea agreed, but that feast is hard to manage because its the tightest ring of any of the fights. During that elf fight you mentioned I actually had a peasant wander through the middle of the ring. I couldn't stop laughing.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

What level should I be after completing most of White Orchard? I'm at level 4 and the next area is just destroying me. I think it's the exp bug but maybe this game is just super hardcore?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pellisworth posted:

Edit: and if you're really paranoid about it, just skip grayed side quests for now.
But but but my OCD wants me to complete all the silly little easy sidequests before I move on :(

The Moon Monster posted:

What level should I be after completing most of White Orchard? I'm at level 4 and the next area is just destroying me. I think it's the exp bug but maybe this game is just super hardcore?
It is definitely NOT the XP bug if you are level 4. Give us some details on what is destroying you and it can likely be explained. I dont think I was above 4 when I level White Orchard.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bort Bortles posted:

But but but my OCD wants me to complete all the silly little easy sidequests before I move on :(

It is definitely NOT the XP bug. Give us some details on what is destroying you and it can likely be explained.

Everything I run into is level 8+. Fighting humans isn't bad but even ho-hum monsters like ghouls or nekkers take in the neighborhood of 15 hits to kill.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

The Moon Monster posted:

The XP bug only occurs when you outlevel a quest by 6 levels, so it turns grey in your questlog.
At level 4 you should be pretty save from it, mathematically speaking

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Moon Monster posted:

Everything I run into is level 8+. Fighting humans isn't bad but even ho-hum monsters like ghouls or nekkers take in the neighborhood of 15 hits to kill.
Right but where in Velen are you? When you land in Velen near Hanged Mang's Tree there are a bunch of higher level shits near you that you should ignore initially. Have you upgraded your equipment? You should be able to get a few quests at your level by looking at notice boards and by doing the main quest stuff, but if you wander the wrong way you can run into some nasty poo poo.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Try going for quests with recommended levels closer to you. The main quests in particular are very generous with experience.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

mcbexx posted:

The XP bug only occurs when you outlevel a quest by 6 levels, so it turns grey in your questlog.
At level 4 you should be pretty save from it, mathematically speaking

Uh what? No the exp bug is that main quests that should give exp don't, even if they're green. Grey quests not giving exp is NOT a bug.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ah, I didn't notice the recommended levels, I hadn't actually looked at the quest journal yet. I made an upgrade for my silver sword from a recipe in the nekker cave, but then it turned out to be level 12 :v:

Should be able to use it in 10 hours or so.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Moon Monster posted:

Ah, I didn't notice the recommended levels, I hadn't actually looked at the quest journal yet. I made an upgrade for my silver sword from a recipe in the nekker cave, but then it turned out to be level 12 :v: Should be able to use it in 10 hours or so.
If you did everything in White Orchard you should have Serpentine swords to craft, which are quite a bit better than your starting equipment. In addition to lots of XP, the main quest stuff also usually nets you gear via looting stuff and you'll eventually find good stuff that you can actually use :v:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

RatHat posted:

Uh what? No the exp bug is that main quests that should give exp don't, even if they're green. Grey quests not giving exp is NOT a bug.

The problem is that the gray quests are what cause the other quests to not give experience. Something get's flipped to make all quests act like gray quests. At level 4 he should not be seeing that issue at all.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Survival guide:
Welcome to the open world! You'll find that there's A Lot of Bad Things around that can kill you with a second glance. Sometimes even with just the first one.

The way to survive is to do quests close to your level, and if you see red dots on the minimap, eyeball them and see what level they are. If they're not close to you (or are skulls!) RUN AWAY. You can come back and they won't chase you forever.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

OAquinas posted:

Survival guide:
Welcome to the open world! You'll find that there's A Lot of Bad Things around that can kill you with a second glance. Sometimes even with just the first one.

The way to survive is to do quests close to your level, and if you see red dots on the minimap, eyeball them and see what level they are. If they're not close to you (or are skulls!) RUN AWAY. You can come back and they won't chase you forever.

TBF the problem is not so much stuff killing me as it is stuff taking a million forevers to kill.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

god drat what gives monster eyes and fat? thought drowners would but I'm assuming ghouls do? really need dem eyes for my armor

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The Moon Monster posted:

TBF the problem is not so much stuff killing me as it is stuff taking a million forevers to kill.

If things aren't dying in 2-3 hits either your gear is borked or go find stuff your level. Western Velen and near Crow's Perch has lots of lower level stuff or just follow the main quest for your level and stuff around there is that level.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

MinibarMatchman posted:

god drat what gives monster eyes and fat? thought drowners would but I'm assuming ghouls do? really need dem eyes for my armor

Dismantle other monster parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Nope you're fine, and yes that's it. I did everything besides the crystal in the last act and the quests retriggered when they became available. I'm positive the crystal can wait until then since there is an associated quest that triggers and there are a few perfect conversation moments for you to say, "uh guys, I think I know how to find that one sorceress.".

Good to know, thanks. Tried googling etc but there just isn't any accurate info about this stuff anywhere (guides just tell you how to do this stuff in Novigrad with Triss, not how it works out later).

There are 2 figurines right, the nobleman and the soldier?

And I assume the crystal you can use as long as you have it - so it's safe to complete the quest if you tell Radovid you found nothing, thus keeping the crystal for later?