Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I tried but couldn't get into the Shadow Warrior reboot. The sword combat felt real clunky and I didn't like it, and I could never figure out how to get a good star rating. I'd do specials and everything and get 2 stars, and in another encounter I'd shoot a barrel and blow everyone up and get 4.

Also while I'm here, dumb question: How do I do that hand to hand or DBZ crap and those taunt things in Demonsteele? I can only figure out the sword specials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

The hand-to-hand DBZ power is the BFG. On the pick-up message, it says Use Inventory to activate, so whatever button you have bound to Activate Item (I think it defaults to Enter, if you haven't changed it) and then go super saiyan.

Also, taunt things? I'm not sure I understand, sorry. If you're playing in Zandronum, there's already a taunt button, but it just plays a sound clip. If you're referring to the idle animations, then you just need to be idle for about fifteen seconds or so.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

TerminusEst13 posted:

The hand-to-hand DBZ power is the BFG. On the pick-up message, it says Use Inventory to activate, so whatever button you have bound to Activate Item (I think it defaults to Enter, if you haven't changed it) and then go super saiyan.

Also, taunt things? I'm not sure I understand, sorry. If you're playing in Zandronum, there's already a taunt button, but it just plays a sound clip. If you're referring to the idle animations, then you just need to be idle for about fifteen seconds or so.

Oh ok, I mistook idle animations for taunts. Thanks!

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Shadow Hog posted:

That sounds like pretty much every Build game to me.

Well, okay, I suppose Duke and Blood had competent shotguns as well. But honestly, I always preferred to use the rocket launcher in Duke and the TNT in Blood.

Blood's shotgun is pretty much the definition of a handcannon though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDKYN6iOdYc

Seconding not getting into the new Shadow Warrior game. I just didn't like its level design and its emphasis on close quarters combat while also having tunnel vision triple-A game FOV syndrome. Also, the comic cutscenes seemed really out of place and made me loving motion sick.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

MONKET posted:

Seconding not getting into the new Shadow Warrior game. I just didn't like its level design and its emphasis on close quarters combat while also having tunnel vision triple-A game FOV syndrome. Also, the comic cutscenes seemed really out of place and made me loving motion sick.

I adored everything about shadow warrior that you hated. Funny how that happens. :haw:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm a couple chapters into the first Shadow Warrior novel. This is like something I would have written in high school, if I wanted to get expelled that is. Cue unnecesary facial joke!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Overbite posted:

I tried but couldn't get into the Shadow Warrior reboot.

Yeah, same here, although I thought the sword stuff was okay (the lack of a block button was weird, though). What made SW2013 bad was how loving terrible the guns are outside of the crossbow, even when fully upgraded; I've never played an FPS with worse gunfeel or more ineffective guns.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Not seen Termy post this yet, so:

Alpha footage of Demonsteele's Second Character, Sun Shihong.

Punching and Handguns? Oh you spoil me. :getin: Shihong looks fun as heck.

Anyone watching this should also read the comments for a few details on the oddities of using local hosting to record.

E: Terminus, i was entertaining the idea of writing a demonsteele manual in google.docs for new players. My artistic side is wanting but the words should be easy. Would that be of value?

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 3, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Speaking of Demonsteele, I feel stupid but I can't seem to get it to work properly using GZDoom and Doom 2 - I can load in fine, but I have the basic Doom UI with 999 health instead of the Demonsteele one and some pickups seem to be missing from the world. Am I doing something wrong, or is there a separate HUD pk3 I missed?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Speaking of Demonsteele, I feel stupid but I can't seem to get it to work properly using GZDoom and Doom 2 - I can load in fine, but I have the basic Doom UI with 999 health instead of the Demonsteele one and some pickups seem to be missing from the world. Am I doing something wrong, or is there a separate HUD pk3 I missed?
Are you using the alternate HUD in ZDoom settings? Turn it off, it's poo poo and intentionally unmoddable.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Kins posted:

Are you using the alternate HUD in ZDoom settings? Turn it off, it's poo poo and intentionally unmoddable.

Yep, that was exactly it. Thanks.

e; vvv

Convex posted:

I prefer the alternative HUD as it shows the ammo count for all weapons. If there's a way to do that with the standard HUD (without relying on external pk3s or whatever) then I'd happily switch over.

Yeah, that's the reason I use it.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 3, 2015

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I prefer the alternative HUD as it shows the ammo count for all weapons. If there's a way to do that with the standard HUD (without relying on external pk3s or whatever) then I'd happily switch over.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

spongeh posted:

As long as the source is released with it there are no issues using a GPL port. DOSBox is GPL already. It does mean no Steamworks stuff, though.
For what it's worth, Strife: Veteran Edition is based on GPL code (Chocolate Doom, actually), and it integrated Steamworks. That doesn't mean it was strictly legal, but it's precedent.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm a couple chapters into the first Shadow Warrior novel. This is like something I would have written in high school, if I wanted to get expelled that is. Cue unnecesary facial joke!

All I remember from that was an excerpt where Lo Wang spent a good few pages wondering if he should eat a piece of moldy sushi off of the floor or have some shark fin soup instead. He then ate the dirty floor sushi. It's not a good book.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

MONKET posted:

All I remember from that was an excerpt where Lo Wang spent a good few pages wondering if he should eat a piece of moldy sushi off of the floor or have some shark fin soup instead. He then ate the dirty floor sushi. It's not a good book.

But gamer goons should be able to relate to eating the floor sushi?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MONKET posted:

...spent a good few pages wondering if he should eat a piece of moldy sushi off of the floor or have some shark fin soup instead.

This is an essential part of any of my Dungeons of Dredmor experiences.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Wamdoodle posted:

But gamer goons should be able to relate to eating the floor sushi?

Eat the sushi off the floor like a animal you piece of poo poo

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

WAS THAT A loving ROCKET PUNCH @ 6:00?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

RyokoTK posted:

Eat the sushi off the floor like a animal you piece of poo poo

Thank you for this reference :)

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Linguica posted:

For what it's worth, Strife: Veteran Edition is based on GPL code (Chocolate Doom, actually), and it integrated Steamworks. That doesn't mean it was strictly legal, but it's precedent.

I think you can create a service that talks to an external module that would deal with the Steam stuff. It's a lot of work to get around it, and it's legally questionable. I spent some time looking at the GPL FAQ just now and didn't really come away with a clear answer.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

SilentW posted:

WAS THAT A loving ROCKET PUNCH @ 6:00?

That was a wrist mounted rocket barrage! :getin:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

spongeh posted:

I think you can create a service that talks to an external module that would deal with the Steam stuff. It's a lot of work to get around it, and it's legally questionable. I spent some time looking at the GPL FAQ just now and didn't really come away with a clear answer.
S:VE just straight up integrated Steamworks:

quote:

Chocolate Doom was chosen as an ideal basis. This necessitated that the project be open source, with the code released under the GNU General Public License. A linking exception for the Steamworks API was provided by Simon Howard with the justification that it constitutes a system component due to ubiquitous distribution and the existence of SteamOS.
"yeah, it's fine, probably"

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Nokiaman posted:

Yeah I put TNT.WAD in the same directory as the patcher. Also installed the VB6 Runtime from here and here
Still nothing. BTW I'm using 8.1 x64 if that's an issue somehow.

A little bit late on the reply, but just remembered there's an alternative Java based patcher you could try. It hasn't been updated since 2007 though so it won't recognise BFG WADs, but it should do the job patching up Final Doom.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Where does demonsteele get it's voice acting?

If it's got custom voice acting and the ability to grab people with Sun Shihong grappling hook then there had better be a "get over here" attached to that move. :getin:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I hit a veritable jackpot today at a local Savers(thrift store chain), found a copy of Tribes 2(what's the best way to get that running on a modern computer, and is it still worth playing, or was it entirely reliant on multiplayer?), and a bunch of 3rd Party expansion packs for Quake 1;

anyone know anything about any of these and whether they're worth trying?(also have a copy of Quake 1 and it's two official mission packs on Steam, what's the best source port to use on a Windows 8.1 machine?)

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Best source port is generally considered Quakespasm at this point. I used to use Darkplaces almost exclusively until I tried Quakespasm on a whim and noticed some custom maps stopped having issues with geometry flickering, or gibs from gib fountains in func_mapjam3 no longer getting stuck. Decided to stick with it from there on.

I can only hope Q!ZONE has an Ogre Zone to go along with Imp Zone.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

If you want to play Tribes 2, your best bet is to download the fan patch Tribes Next. It's both still worth playing and entirely reliant on multiplayer!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

I hit a veritable jackpot today at a local Savers(thrift store chain), found a copy of Tribes 2(what's the best way to get that running on a modern computer, and is it still worth playing, or was it entirely reliant on multiplayer?), and a bunch of 3rd Party expansion packs for Quake 1;

anyone know anything about any of these and whether they're worth trying?(also have a copy of Quake 1 and it's two official mission packs on Steam, what's the best source port to use on a Windows 8.1 machine?)

I played the poo poo out of Shrak, it's gross (all weird bug enemies) but good.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

MONKET posted:

I think the author turned them around really fast. There's a mention of a cult suicide that appears to be a joke about Heavens Gate which happened in March of 97', the game came out May. The author has written 150 novels in roughly 40 years, about three times what Stephen King has done in the same period of time and nobody would call him a slacker.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I played the poo poo out of Shrak, it's gross (all weird bug enemies) but good.

Also it has the best web page ever made for a Quake mod that is still up for god knows what reason

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm glad the site is finished, otherwise I'd expect to see one of these there:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

drrockso20 posted:

I hit a veritable jackpot today at a local Savers(thrift store chain), found a copy of Tribes 2(what's the best way to get that running on a modern computer, and is it still worth playing, or was it entirely reliant on multiplayer?)

If you can actually get Tribes 2 running let me know how you did it. I can't get it or T1 to play on my Win7 machine.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
PSA: Demonsteele and RSI do not mix.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Can someone tell me if theres an auto attack function in Demonsteele? I love it to bits but the constant clicking clicking clicking makes my fingers cry out in agony.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Thyrork posted:

E: Terminus, i was entertaining the idea of writing a demonsteele manual in google.docs for new players. My artistic side is wanting but the words should be easy. Would that be of value?
Oh, definitely! I've actually been wanting to write a manual for a while, and the moddb download has a quick reference sheet, but I'd be more than eager to see what you come up with.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Bushmaori posted:

Can someone tell me if theres an auto attack function in Demonsteele? I love it to bits but the constant clicking clicking clicking makes my fingers cry out in agony.
Not yet. Now that Zandronum 2.0's released, though, I have support for named states for A_Refire; so I'll be able to include an "Automatic" class option for DemonSteele that does auto-fire for weapons.
I have no clue how special moves will work with auto-fire on, but I can figure that out later. Accommodating players with medical issues is kind of more important.

Very sorry for the trouble. :shobon:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TerminusEst13 posted:

Oh, definitely! I've actually been wanting to write a manual for a while, and the moddb download has a quick reference sheet, but I'd be more than eager to see what you come up with.

Not yet. Now that Zandronum 2.0's released, though, I have support for named states for A_Refire; so I'll be able to include an "Automatic" class option for DemonSteele that does auto-fire for weapons.
I have no clue how special moves will work with auto-fire on, but I can figure that out later. Accommodating players with medical issues is kind of more important.

could have Special Attacks keyed to separate buttons when Auto-Fire is turned on

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Primary directive: TAKE YOU APART LIKE A PUZZLE.

God, the 90s were so loving awesome. Was this map pack awful or just awesome?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
All I remember about Shrak is that there's a grappling hook weapon and the deathmatch mode is some weird spiders v scorpions thing.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

TerminusEst13 posted:

Perhaps a double click then hold to do what the hold normally does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

drrockso20 posted:

Holy poo poo I have been looking for the aftershock box art for decades now. I just remembered it being in a quake ad at my local electronics boutique when i was a little kid. I didn't know it was for an addon.