Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I've always got the impression that Reggie is just extremely chill about everything all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV11Me8bruo

cams
Mar 28, 2003

tnimark posted:

I've always got the impression that Reggie is just extremely chill about everything all the time.
Reggie Watts is high 100% of the time and he just does his own thing on his own time and everyone just has to deal with it because of how supremely talented he is.

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

Reggie Watts is talented in the same way that the people on American Idol or any perfomative showcase are talented. They have decent voices, a technical ability like Reggie's with the keyboard and looper, and some charismatic x-factor maybe if they're really lucky. But Reggie Watts is not funny. He's not even really charismatic except for his hair. His awful accents and terrible stream-of-consciousness shtick would mark him as a hack comedian if not for his musical ability. I watched him recently on his new show and he was radically unfunny, and that limey shithead that hosts the show can jump in a lake.

Xenochrist
Sep 11, 2006

Past Tense Ragu posted:

Reggie Watts is talented in the same way that the people on American Idol or any perfomative showcase are talented. They have decent voices, a technical ability like Reggie's with the keyboard and looper, and some charismatic x-factor maybe if they're really lucky. But Reggie Watts is not funny. He's not even really charismatic except for his hair. His awful accents and terrible stream-of-consciousness shtick would mark him as a hack comedian if not for his musical ability. I watched him recently on his new show and he was radically unfunny, and that limey shithead that hosts the show can jump in a lake.

Speak on that

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
I like that this dude pops up a few times a year just to be really negative/angry about something.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Forum El Niņo

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Yeah, Reggie is/was pretty consistently brilliant on the TV show, especially when he was given bigger parts. Thinking specifically of the Cop Swap episode, which he's amazing in.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

That was a really dumb/good plugs theme.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Past Tense Ragu posted:

They have decent voices, a technical ability like Reggie's with the keyboard and looper, and some charismatic x-factor maybe if they're really lucky.
I can vibe with you that Reggie isn't necessarily classically funny, but you cannot write off his musical abilities like that. I'm an electronic musician, grew up in noise/hardcore/diy scenes, have seen every type of setup and every type of act, but Reggie really has something clever going on. It's mostly his amazing knack for melody, for making pretty sounds. Hell, think about that ep where he knocks out 3 CBB themes, they're all gorgeous. Sure he's got his bag of tricks, but it's a drat effective one.

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

Pretty pictures in small frames
Yeah I think Reggie is great when it comes to music, and can be great when it comes to scripted stuff. He's just not a super improv person like most on CBB so it feels more off.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Past Tense Ragu posted:

yeah he's not funny at all. but he seems like a cool enough guy

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DUxuYkef68

Skip to 1:45

cams
Mar 28, 2003

haha, his eyes light up when it comes up

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

haha adam scott is such a dork "do you know i have a podcast?"

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

What an adorable little guy he is.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I use my vacuum to suck up coins. I use my mouth to suck up groins.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Can anyone point me to the first episode where they guy who's actually Scrooge Mcduck shows up ? I cant for the life of me find it.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
It's the one with Nathan Fielder, James Adomian, and Joe Wengert

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
SOOOOOLLLLLOOOOOOO BOOOOOLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

tnimark posted:

I haven't listened yet just but "Liar House" in the episode description got a big laugh from me.

There's also a new Johnny's Bananas Writer's Room episode of Rafflecast with a pretty stacked lineup. This is a great day for surprise p-casts.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

tnimark posted:

today is the best day of my life

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

YES YES YES

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I can't tell if they were joking or if they're really so goddamn old that they can't remember that they came up with riddle me this.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Too short. Too short!!

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Maggie Simpson

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

All joking a salad, pretty great episode. The song montage game at the end was great.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I missed that they were playing a game and just took it to be Ben being Ben.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Not huge on solo bolos but that Like a Virgin cover was unbelievably good.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
At the end they literally just did the least fun most excruciating unpleasant everybody hates it improv warmup game in the world two person style because they wanted to so pretty good episode

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

the headline scott asked for made me laugh so loud

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Also, I cannot loving wait for Schwartz to do his own podcast some day.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Arctic Baldwin posted:

the headline scott asked for made me laugh so loud

My first thought when they started that game was "9/11" jokes. So glad they went there.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

it kinda sucked but i do laugh whenever anyone does an odb impression on a podcast

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
The TV show thread is dead but I really liked Reggie's last episode.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Illinois Smith posted:

How many seconds did you watch?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
The singing is a little much but Benny Schwass is a top 5 guest to me. And a personality idol.

Loved the "what is the name of my character on House of Lies?" moment.

Illinois Smith posted:

What is the general take on the TV show? I never really see it mentioned in here. I tried an ep or two but I could never get into it...

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I think I'm an outlier but I find it boring and tedious to watch; at least for the first two seasons that I've seen.

It just seemed like every skit was "I get it" and waiting two to three minutes for the joke to finally run its course. The guests didn't do much for me and barely have any time to interact with Scott and Reggie before another scene starts or the show is over.

But I'm also a weirdo who hated the Birthday Boys for the same reason and it bothered me why they had so many members in the troupe for no justifiable reason.

Feel free to hate me for my bad opinion.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Birthday Boys really improved during the second season and of course that was the last.

Old Swerdlow posted:

I think I'm an outlier but I find it boring and tedious to watch; at least for the first two seasons that I've seen.

It just seemed like every skit was "I get it" and waiting two to three minutes for the joke to finally run its course. The guests didn't do much for me and barely have any time to interact with Scott and Reggie before another scene starts or the show is over.
These days I usually only watch CBB when a guest I like is on or something like Reggie's last episode happens. From what I've seen this season it's gotten a lot less random than the first two seasons, they do a lot of frame stories that run through the whole episode.

Also a lot less "hey here's a weird best-of version of a character from the podcast where we run through all the stuff that came up organically in hours of improv during a three-minute segment". Those were always my least favorite parts of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Old Swerdlow posted:

Feel free to hate me for my bad opinion.

I hate you

VagueRant posted:

What is the general take on the TV show? I never really see it mentioned in here. I tried an ep or two but I could never get into it...

I think IFC has done it a disservice by ordering so many episodes with a cheap budget. But IFC is a network of idiots that were probably slamming dumpsters together behind the sludge factory before this. The amount of episodes waters down what could be a better show imho. For me, it is at it's funniest when it leaves the set and has video packages. Also, character guests are normally 1000% funnier than real guests that I assume are there to try to bring in viewers.