Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Internet Explorer posted:

How the gently caress are they still using Gamebryo? That trailer looks like poo poo.

It's really easy, because the people working on it have years of experience with that engine. It's crap, but it's crap that they know. Also it lets them reuse assets if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Roobanguy posted:

like good story telling?

Whatever you define as 'Good Story Telling', it sure as hell didn't make New Vegas better than 3. Sympathetic but mundane good guys (NCR), unsympathetically evil guys (Cesar) fighting over a low-scale/low-impact thing (Hoover Dam). Yawn.

Compare to walking behind a giant gunmetal Optimus Prime, shouting anti-communist slogans, throwing nukes like a football, against remnants of the US Government, in order to purify the water for the entire east coast of the setting. loving awesome.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

chitoryu12 posted:

It's really easy, because the people working on it have years of experience with that engine. It's crap, but it's crap that they know. Also it lets them reuse assets if possible.

That doesn't excuse the awful animations.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

Whatever you define as 'Good Story Telling', it sure as hell didn't make New Vegas better than 3. Sympathetic but mundane good guys (NCR), unsympathetically evil guys (Cesar) fighting over a low-scale/low-impact thing (Hoover Dam).

Compare to walking behind a giant gunmetal Optimus Prime, shouting anti-communist slogans, throwing nukes like a football, against remnants of the US Government, in order to purify the water for the entire east coast of the setting.

I though fallout 3 ended with you ignoring your radiation-immune mutant and ghoul companions in order to heroically sacrifice yourself by walking into a radioactive room.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Hey guys did you hear Bethesda got rid of playable female characters! My aunt who got fired from Bethesda posted about it on reddit! :downswords:

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
I'm not even going to bother having an opinion on this game because I'm going to end up buying it one way or another because Fallout. Resistance is futile and Todd Howard has my soul chained up somewhere in a basement, I'm not even going to fight it.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

Whatever you define as 'Good Story Telling', it sure as hell didn't make New Vegas better than 3. Sympathetic but mundane good guys (NCR), unsympathetically evil guys (Cesar) fighting over a low-scale/low-impact thing (Hoover Dam). Yawn.

Compare to walking behind a giant gunmetal Optimus Prime, shouting anti-communist slogans, throwing nukes like a football, against remnants of the US Government, in order to purify the water for the entire east coast of the setting. loving awesome.

i dont know man, seeing a bomber fly in and do a bombing run on the legion was alot cooler than slowly walking behind a invincible robot repeating the same 4 lines over and over. and then dying because your super mutant decides that "ITS YOUR DESTINY TO DIE!"

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

megalodong posted:

I though fallout 3 ended with you ignoring your radiation-immune mutant and ghoul companions in order to heroically sacrifice yourself by walking into a radioactive room.

You could pay $10 to rewrite history. Poors who didn't go for this still die pointlessly while Thomas Jefferson glares down at your withering corpse.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

ShadowMar posted:

Hey guys did you hear Bethesda got rid of playable female characters! My aunt who got fired from Bethesda posted about it on reddit! :downswords:

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

megalodong posted:

DLC changed it so you could just ask the mutant to go in and flip the lever.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Dr. Carwash posted:

DLC changed it so you could just ask the mutant to go in and flip the lever.

and then ron perlman calls you a coward

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

no but see i am an idiot gamer child who will believe every rumor i hear about a game at face value so the words of a GAMES JOURNALIST mean nothing when compared to an anonymous redditor

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

also the ending for fo3 broke literally 6 times for me when i first played through it. i had to restart the whole liberty prime section 6 loving times because for some reason he decided to wander into the ocean, or fall into the earth, or just plain stop in the streets and never loving move while yelling about commies. gently caress liberty prime.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

ShadowMar posted:

Well we can see the story is completely different from that leak (no mention of Vault 111, the trailer shows that we came from a Vault)

Also that is the same time the fake announcement happened, you know with the morse code and all the hype about androids and the commonwealth.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

My memory of the ending of Fallout 3 is a little hazy, but I remember watching a Super Mutant Behemoth (why?) knock a plot-vital BOS paladin unconscious over and over only for her to continuously get back on her feet and grab aggro again before the mutant would ever get anywhere near me, in a tragic attempt at what was clearly supposed to be a big memorable setpiece battle. That was when I realized no single part of the game so far had been interesting, memorable (in a good way at least), exciting, or even tolerably competent. My mouse cursor magically gravitated towards the quit button, ending my journey in the capital wasteland forever, so for me it will always be the true ending.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

MisterBibs posted:

Bethesda will do to New Vegas exactly what they did to Fallout 1 and 2: Remove anything that doesn't belong in a modern Fallout game.

Can't wait to go back to all projectile guns firing their bullets at 25 feet per second, forcing you to use VATS for every single encounter or play with the laser rifle.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Bholder posted:

Well we can see the story is completely different from that leak (no mention of Vault 111, the trailer shows that we came from a Vault)

Also that is the same time the fake announcement happened, you know with the morse code and all the hype about androids and the commonwealth.

I actually forgot about that dumb fake announcement, why did people think that one was real anyways.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Scyther posted:

My memory of the ending of Fallout 3 is a little hazy, but I remember watching a Super Mutant Behemoth (why?) knock a plot-vital BOS paladin unconscious over and over only for her to continuously get back on her feet and grab aggro again before the mutant would ever get anywhere near me, in a tragic attempt at what was clearly supposed to be a big memorable setpiece battle. That was when I realized no single part of the game so far had been interesting, memorable (in a good way at least), exciting, or even tolerably competent. My mouse cursor magically gravitated towards the quit button, ending my journey in the capital wasteland forever.

That's not the ending. That's not the ending at all! You're lame!!!!

Roobanguy posted:

also the ending for fo3 broke literally 6 times for me when i first played through it. i had to restart the whole liberty prime section 6 loving times because for some reason he decided to wander into the ocean, or fall into the earth, or just plain stop in the streets and never loving move while yelling about commies. gently caress liberty prime.

I played 3 for the first time a month ago and had to reset the section once because he walked off a bridge, the finale of 3 is pretty lame but Broken Steel is cooler.

I still felt bad for Liberty Prime, even if he messed up hes still a pretty cool robot.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
If you didn't play fallout 3 with at least 80 mods you hosed up really god drat badly.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

A thing I hope they really work on is the dumb kharma system, just because I think its lame I cant have the cool robot soldier be my friend if I'm not true neutral, in a game where doing the normal rational thing mostly gets you a billion good points.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Icept posted:

Can't wait to go back to all projectile guns firing their bullets at 25 feet per second, forcing you to use VATS for every single encounter or play with the laser rifle.

Can't wait for VATS to grant 90% damage reduction again.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The part with the Behemoth is the part when you get the Fatman, and the fatman rules. That's pretty early though.

Kaboom!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

AHungryRobot posted:

If you didn't play fallout 3 with at least 80 mods you hosed up really god drat badly.

hot salad
Jun 25, 2005

Did you just say
the word 'scoff'?

ShadowMar posted:

I actually forgot about that dumb fake announcement, why did people think that one was real anyways.

I think you already know the answer to this question:

ShadowMar posted:

no but see i am an idiot gamer child who will believe every rumor i hear about a game at face value

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

ShadowMar posted:

no but see i am an idiot gamer child who will believe every rumor i hear about a game at face value so the words of a GAMES JOURNALIST mean nothing when compared to an anonymous redditor

but...I read rumors that there was a fallout 4... and they were TRUE :wth:

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Now that I think of it, I don't remember seeing any Behemoths in New Vegas at all.

Another proof why Fallout 3 is better.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

MisterBibs posted:

Watching a robot throw bombs at metal men to make sure other metal men get the credit for purifying a river. Now that's good story telling.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Bholder posted:

but but but Morrowind

All their good writers left after Morrowind.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

MisterBibs posted:

You have AIDS.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
Of the many bad decisions Bethesda could (and probably will) make here, at least story wise, the biggest would be trying to drag the Enclave out yet again to serve as the main villains, and trying to shoehorn in the New Vegas factions. In that order.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Bholder posted:

Now that I think of it, I don't remember seeing any Behemoths in New Vegas at all.

Another proof why Fallout 3 is better.

I think theres only one behemoth thats part of the main game in 3, you can run into maybe 3 or four more in certain places but i only ever saw the second one in the capitol building.

i used the minigun on its head a lot.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I'm looking forward to another fallout game. Will be disappointed if there's still a dozen loading screens for every block in a town, but still want to buy it.

Does the PC version come out the same time as console?

Thorbeef
Jul 24, 2007
This is going to be the best thing ever and I am going to play it with all of my body and especially with my pee pee

I'm guessing the recommended specs for playing this include hardware that doesn't exist yet? Will you need a Rift to play it!?!?!?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lotish posted:

They require Steam, so yes.

Awesome. I've never bought from them because I didn't know if you could activate stuff from them on steam.

Saved the taxes pretty much not shabby at all.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Icept posted:

People didn't use VATS for every encounter? :wtc:

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

You're right. New Vegas wasn't nearly as cuntshitting fuckawesome as 3. I retract my statement goonsir.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
This game is good, please show some respect.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

cropping stillframes makes all games look bad

• Locked thread