Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I think I downloaded an old version. Got the latest version, I recognize the interface now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Automated Posting posted:

Material properties don't matter for ranged weapons, right? I just had a random furnace operator get into a mood and crank out an artifact brass crossbow.

At least it wasn't a bass crossbow.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Summer came like a hurricane. Also a FotF pile.

quote:

Mission Status

:smugdog: Nothing but forward progress. There are a whole lot of generous people that have signed on and hopefully more will follow. That means more work for us, but as Toady says, "These are the problems we want to have." It's like we've climbed up a boulder and can now see beyond the immediate traps and falls to the distant light we call the future.

Congratulations to the generous!
:boom:

quote:

Fun with Numbers

:frogc00l: Thanks to everybody that helped out in May! This is our first month with Patreon numbers, and they accounted for almost exactly half of the total. There was some shift from PayPal, but it has more than evened out, so we're all good. My theoretical release schedule worked out about as well as expected. We're continuing with adventure mode tavern/performance stuff this month, which is all of the adventure mode stuff there is to do aside from the library maps.

May: $4058.53
Apr: $3730.05
Mar: $2975.76
Feb: $4009.55
Jan: $3632.86

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Huh, I had no idea that Masterwork was out for the new version. I'll send back a trip report.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it only has a couple nations and probably only a fraction of the extra stuff, but i guess it's a thing.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Yeah it's pretty good I guess, lasted about three years without a crash, which is average for 40.24, I think, with DFHack running. I didn't try any of the other races because I don't care about them (especially the succubi, who unfortunately have made it back in) but it's in a pretty good state right now. It has a lot of its old quality-of-life features (how I've missed you, make entire set of clothing job) but not all of them, especially most of the expanded metalwork options. Can't make spring steel, etc. The Liaison Office is back, so theoretically if you mint coins you'll be able to summon caravans and such, but I haven't tried that yet.

Some of its features are less useful than they were in DF2012, like the wood splitting block, which previously allowed you to convert logs (which could be extremely scarce in DF2012) into multiple "planks." But overall I'd say it's worth playing. The UI is in the middle of a huge overhaul right now so there's no way to turn on or off specific additions, so it's all or nothing right now.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I really miss the muskets, firearms, and explosives it added and hopefully one day there will be dwarven cannons as siege weapons.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Glass of Milk posted:

I got my first siege in the second year, which consists of two undead. I'm safe inside my fort but they massacred all my grazing animals outside, as well as a gang of monkeys that showed up for some reason.

Problem Solved.

Solution: Bridges on top of Undead

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
While messing around with modding and the arena, I discovered that 150 humans, clad head to toe in adamantine armor, with adamantine battle-axes and shields, with maximum Fighter, Axe, Dodge, Armor User, Shield User, Wrestler, Observer, Striker, and Kicker skills, can eventually kill a single naked Slade Colossus with no skills. It managed to kill 106 of them before one of them got a sever on its lower body.

Now, does anyone know how I would make everyone not instantly hostile to a slade colossus adventurer in adv mode? It's admittedly kind of fun playing Godzilla Simulator but it would be nice not having to explode the heads of every sentient being I encounter.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Make a new creature based on a civilized creature, and then just replace their physical form with that of a colossus.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Alternatively, turn all humans into colossi

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Create a custom syndrome that mutates the gently caress out of a creature, turning them into a slade colossus.

Then something something dfhack can probably do it.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Come to think of it, I could probably change a certain tissue layer from its default material to slade. Slade-skin dwarves. They'd basically be impervious to cutting weapons made of anything less than adamantine, even buck-rear end naked. Everything inside would still be squishy, though, so they'd still be vulnerable to crush-type damage.

I wonder how that would effect speed.

Or what about adamantine-skinned dwarves? Or adamantine teeth? Adamantine bones and nails?

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 3, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It's possible. Ant people with adamantine instead of chitin are fun.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
If creatures have adamantine tissue, and they die, can you melt their bits down for metal?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Mister Bates posted:

If creatures have adamantine tissue, and they die, can you melt their bits down for metal?

Sadly, no. At least, not that I know of. Some creatures produce statues upon death, though. I think that can be modded in?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Yeah, the ITEMCORPSE token replaces the default carcass (CORPSE) item type with whatever you desire. Standard colossuses use that.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Yeah, I forgot to change it for my slade colossus (which is just a bronze colossus, with all the tissue materials changed from bronze to slade), so it still drops a bronze statue when it dies. :v:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

dis is ein krötenwerfer. it werfs devlogs

Toady One posted:

I finished a simple library map maker, so we can move on from that. Managed to find both the original books and copies made during world gen. It's interesting to see how different some of the scholar setups can be -- the second library I visited had nothing but human and elf naturalists writing about migration patterns and animal reproduction. Next up, hard drinking in adv mode taverns.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

scamtank posted:

dis is ein krötenwerfer. it werfs devlogs

DF furries? What have you done, Toady :gonk:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Excelzior posted:

If my girlfriend wants to dress up like a devlog, who are you to tell her she can't?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Does Toady ever plan on implementing, like, boats? As-is, any areas that aren't connected by land will just never interact with each other ever. In my last worldgen, this resulted in one tiny island completely carpeted with necromancer towers, and no other necromancers anywhere else in the world.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Excelzior posted:

i have some bad news for you about scientists and what they research

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mister Bates posted:

Does Toady ever plan on implementing, like, boats?

Yes, but to implement boats he first has to code godzillas.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

In my last worldgen, this resulted in one tiny island completely carpeted with necromancer towers, and no other necromancers anywhere else in the world.

It's every necromancer's dream to own beachfront property and retire in style.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
While on the subject of worldgen weirdness, I just genned a medium world with a 550-year history, and ended up with a world whose last 200 years of history have been constant 'wars' consisting of an army of over 1000 elves launching endless, completely-uncontested attacks. There is a dwarven settlement that has been pillaged 743 times over those 550 years.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jun 4, 2015

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Mister Bates posted:

While on the subject of worldgen weirdness, I just genned a medium world with a 550-year history, and ended up with a world whose last 200 years of history have been constant 'wars' consisting of an army of over 1000 elves launching endless, completely-uncontested attacks. There is a dwarven settlement that has been pillaged 743 times over those 550 years.

Time to piss off some elves :black101:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Excelzior posted:

He's adding in hard drinking next to help you forget!

Also those are legitimate things for naturalists to study but whatever. And we had furries already with the various animalpeople around.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

GenericOverusedName posted:

Also those are legitimate things for naturalists to study but whatever.

No joke. When my brother received his PhD, it was in a ceremony with new doctorates from several different faculties, so everyone present got to listen about advanced mathematics, nanomaterials, finding new members of a number of rare species in a swamp, and, er, new methods for dealing with reproductive problems of horses.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!
Is anyone else planning on modding in flamethrower guitars musical instruments and playing Doof Fortress when this update comes out?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

TheCIASentMe posted:

Is anyone else planning on modding in flamethrower guitars musical instruments and playing Doof Fortress when this update comes out?

There's already a super-well-developed post-apocalypse mod, but it's several versions out of date and doesn't seem to be updated anymore.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I got back to checking the DFHack repository again and the volatile branch has been busy. It seems a crowd of someones finally got around to populating the space given by the item description script.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

scamtank posted:

I got back to checking the DFHack repository again and the volatile branch has been busy. It seems a crowd of someones finally got around to populating the space given by the item description script.

I know he didn't do anything related to this specific work, but looking at the develop:master changelog shows how much of a beast lethosor is. He's super helpful in the IRC channel, too.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Toady should collaborate imo.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't know whether it's been mentioned but there's someone made a new tileset called Gemset with TWBT's capabilities in mind.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't know whether it's been mentioned but there's someone made a new tileset called Gemset with TWBT's capabilities in mind.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=150753.0 for the lazy.

edit: are you aware of any galleries of the set? The OP only has 2 screenshots, and I'd like to see more before messing with my install.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I'd probably still replace the "text"-text with something else. It's like a random half of the letters in the table are bolded.

It works on the graphics side, though. Even I think that's pretty neat.

Aydjile
Oct 13, 2013

Survive Adapt Improve
a friendly warning from russian dwarfovodi community.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The newest from Chateau Mifki:

Transparent rendering for true object-front-floortile-back display, jesus christ. I guess that's what today's 5.47 build was about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
Are you saying toady actually improved a graphical thing?

vvvv oh, I'm a morans

program666 fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 6, 2015