Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
Speaking of whacko white people with guns, this guy carried his AR-15 (with 100 round drum) around Atlanta airport and the entire news coverage is about if he crossed am imaginary line.

http://m.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/man-raises-eyebrows-carrying-gun-through-atlanta-a/nmTFS/

"He took photos and videos of himself in the airport. Cooley then sent those videos to Channel 2 Action News via Facebook."

gently caress this dangerous rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bonus quote of the night, "Working people and small business owners in distress worry us more than the metrics used to measure it." ~ Craig Crawford, with Jim Webb's campaign.

What say ye, Pataki? Can we go a full day without hearing from Mark Everson on this important issue?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Breathtakingly insensitive quote of the night: "Joe Biden … You know what the nice thing is? You don’t even need a punch line. I promise you it works. At the next party you’re at, just walk up to someone and say, ‘Vice President Joe Biden,’ and just close your mouth. They will crack up laughing." ~ Ted Cruz

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx

Stultus Maximus posted:

Breathtakingly insensitive quote of the night: "Joe Biden … You know what the nice thing is? You don’t even need a punch line. I promise you it works. At the next party you’re at, just walk up to someone and say, ‘Vice President Joe Biden,’ and just close your mouth. They will crack up laughing." ~ Ted Cruz

Wow, I didn't even need to see TedCruz.jpg to almost put a hole in my moniter.

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

climboutonalimb posted:

Speaking of whacko white people with guns, this guy carried his AR-15 (with 100 round drum) around Atlanta airport and the entire news coverage is about if he crossed am imaginary line.

http://m.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/man-raises-eyebrows-carrying-gun-through-atlanta-a/nmTFS/

"He took photos and videos of himself in the airport. Cooley then sent those videos to Channel 2 Action News via Facebook."

gently caress this dangerous rear end in a top hat.

The scary thing is I think it was legal

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Stultus Maximus posted:

Holy gently caress.

Is he...not aware that his son just died? What's the context here?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
None of the 19 women who began Army Ranger school have yet to pass, however 3 of them are still in the program.

This is an interesting attempt to integrate women into combat roles, and is actually going better than a lot of people probably expected, here is a good Washington Post article with some statistics:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...y-a-good-thing/

quote:

Indeed, when women started the opening phase of Ranger School for the first time in April, alongside them were 71 men who had already entered the course, hadn’t made it through, and had the strength, guts and determination to return to try once more. More than a third of all soldiers who finish Ranger School “recycle” through at least one of the phases, so the women who didn’t make it to the end this time are in solid statistical company. About 35 men who started alongside these women won’t receive the chance to start again. Instead, they will return to their units now without having another shot.

And of course here is a link to a terrible Imgur post full of misogynistic teenagers rallying against a strawman that doesn't exist.

http://imgur.com/gallery/PJl9HZh

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Stultus Maximus posted:

Amergin, ladies and gentlemen.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Rhesus Pieces posted:

He's exactly like the Bundy Ranch yahoos in that he thought waiting out in the desert armed to the teeth hoping for your perceived mortal enemy to confront you and take the first shot was an awesome idea that couldn't possibly backfire in any way.

He really needs to give Fox News and his crazy right wing echo chamber sites a rest for a while and calm the gently caress down. I'll bet a camping trip away from TV and the Internet would do wonders for his mental health.

Their mentality is still very 19th century. They don't realize that in the 21st there are oh so many other ways to destroy people, ones that don't give you your desired moment of glory, and have minimal chance of blowback on them, like how a shootout in the desert would.

An AR-15 would be a great way to resist tyranny in the 1800s. When raw force is the method of choice, more force is the counter, and weapons like that are a perfect example of that ethos. But raw force isn't the hook anymore. Now they will just use other, more arcane and bureaucratic ways to take you down. I think of it as the Singapore model.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 4, 2015

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

At least the penny. And maybe the nickel. Also the $1 bill.

then how the gently caress are we supposed to pay for our mcdonalds dollar menu items

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

then how the gently caress are we supposed to pay for our mcdonalds dollar menu items

Finally, a reason for the CDC to get involved in monetary policy.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

With skyrocketing labor costs theyll be 1.29 menu items any day now

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

Their mentality is still very 19th century. They don't realize that in the 21st there are oh so many other ways to destroy people, ones that don't give you your desired moment of glory, and have minimal chance of blowback on them, like how a shootout in the desert would.

An AR-15 was a great way to resist tyranny in the 1800s. Now they will just use other, more arcane and bureaucratic ways to take you down. I think of it as the Singapore model.

He might as well have challenged ISIS to pistols at dawn. It would have done him just as much good and he'd have looked just as stupid.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

You can barely get anything at McDonalds for a dollar anymore. They're in bad shape right now because they've been slowly jacking up the prices on the same crap food they've had for decades. Nobody wants to pay seven bucks for a dried out Big Mac or quarter pounder when you can get a high quality burger at a premium chain for a dollar extra.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
McDonald's is actually healthier than premium burgers.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

computer parts posted:

It is entirely possible to find something at McDonald's that resembles something healthy. Just don't eat it every day for every meal.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I think you could, you just wouldn't be eating any of their "classic" menu.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

computer parts posted:

Not exactly healthier but definitely lower calorie because their dried out meat patties are only 5mm thick. The unhealthiest part of most fast food meals is the fries and soda anyway.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Rhesus Pieces posted:

You can barely get anything at McDonalds for a dollar anymore. They're in bad shape right now because they've been slowly jacking up the prices on the same crap food they've had for decades. Nobody wants to pay seven bucks for a dried out Big Mac or quarter pounder when you can get a high quality burger at a premium chain for a dollar extra.

This, my friend, is why you get the chicken nuggets.

edit: Gallon of Unsweetened Tea for $1 is also good.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Finally, a reason for the CDC to get involved in monetary policy.

As part of a national health initiative today, the CDC announced that they are ordering the Treasury to stop creating pennies and absorb all of the pennies currently in circulation as soon as possible. The Treasury resisted at first, until the head of the CDC released the following statement, "We've got anthrax and smallpox you know, don't you loving test us."

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
McDonalds is pretty cheap when you're buying a hundred chicken nuggets for $20.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Remember the guy who organized the Phoenix draw Muhammed event?

Anti-Muslim Activist Who Tried To Raise $10M: 'Hackers Have Ruined My Life!'

“I went there that night with a gun on my hip, fully thinking that I was going to die, that a terrorist was going to try to kill me for exercising my First Amendment,” he said.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Stereotype posted:

Didn't LA Beast try to eat 100 nuggets? Wait has the cold embrace of death taken one of YouTube's greatest stars yet?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

STAC Goat posted:

I WANT to be a good, compassionate person who feels for everyone and doesn't want anyone's life ruined.

But man... gently caress that guy. There's a real justice in him purposely trying to incite violence and piss people off, absolutely nothing happening except that a few protesters had their minds opened to the good in Islam, and then this dude just got weighed down by all the people he pissed off.

I feel compassion for him. I can't read what he said in that article without thinking that this guy needs serious mental help. He honestly sounds like a victim of his own mind.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Stereotype posted:

100 nuggs = ~3.5 lbs. Average price of boneless chicken breast is ~$3.50/lb, so 3.5 lbs = $12.50.

You do still have to prepare the chicken, but c'mon. Spend 30 minutes grilling or roasting or whatevering some chicken and eat healthier, better-tasting food than nuggets.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Supraluminal posted:

100 nuggs = ~3.5 lbs. Average price of boneless chicken breast is ~$3.50/lb, so 3.5 lbs = $12.50.

You do still have to prepare the chicken, but c'mon. Spend 30 minutes grilling or roasting or whatevering some chicken and eat healthier, better-tasting food than nuggets.

My time is worth more than $15/hr. I'm the beautifully proportioned model pretending to eat McDonald's in the latest television commercial.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

Kobayashi posted:

My time is worth more than $15/hr. I'm the beautifully proportioned model pretending to eat McDonald's in the latest television commercial.

Yeah but you're not spending the 30 minutes with the chicken, you're spending 2 minutes putting the chicken in a pan in a 350 degree oven. Optional second step: spend 45 seconds applying barbecue sauce a few minutes before removing from oven.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

berzerker posted:

Yeah but you're not spending the 30 minutes with the chicken, you're spending 2 minutes putting the chicken in a pan in a 350 degree oven. Optional second step: spend 45 seconds applying barbecue sauce a few minutes before removing from oven.

They don't give any fucks about real chicken. They want a chicken nugget. You may as well people who like Taco Bell how much better real tacos are or people who like White Castle how much better a homemade hamburger is. Sometimes you crave some unhealthy junk.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

berzerker posted:

Way to tell everyone my secret for losing weight you jackass.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I love making hamburgers at home from organic ingredients.

It doesn't mean that I don't sometimes crave a Bic Mac. I don't understand this "fastfood is for proles" smugposting.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vahakyla posted:

It doesn't mean that I don't sometimes crave a Bic Mac. I don't understand this "fastfood is for proles" smugposting.

Eh, at least get tasty fast food. There's a Panera Bread with a drive-through five minutes from my apartment.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

berzerker posted:

Eh, even if you concede the 30 minutes on prep, cooking, serving, and cleaning, there are other benefits to doing it yourself. The aforementioned "healthier and better-tasting" are big ones, plus you get the personal satisfaction of producing something for yourself instead of being a passive consumer, some degree of choice over where the chicken comes from and how it was raised, the option to purchase chicken from a locally-owned business instead of a multinational corporation, and so on.

Still might not be enough to make it the best choice for everyone, all the time, but it's a pretty compelling case for me personally.

Vahakyla posted:

I love making hamburgers at home from organic ingredients.

It's not for proles, that's the point. Eating restaurant food is bourgeois, to stick with that terminology - it's typically more expensive than cooking for yourself. The culture of home cooking is being massively eroded by food processors that stand to gain by convincing people that that's not true, or at least that the convenience of packaged food outweighs the additional cost. How true that is also up for debate, and at any rate will vary from person to person.

Also, yes, everyone (who isn't just insufferably sanctimonious) pigs out on junk occasionally. For me that's usually Chinese buffet or Pizzeria Pretzel Combos a few times a year, not Big Macs, but I'm with you in spirit. That said, it's nice to not make that the foundation of your diet if you can help it.

P.S. I hope my posts haven't come off as smug (at least not sincerely so). I'm acutely sensitive to the danger of condescending to people in tougher socioeconomic situations than myself about what they eat or where they buy it.

P.P.S. I guess this is kind of a derail, so sorry about that - although the politics of food are a pretty big deal, too.

Supraluminal fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 4, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Eh, at least get tasty fast food. There's a Panera Bread with a drive-through five minutes from my apartment.

What does Panera Bread have to do with tasty food?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Most things at McDonald's would be better for you.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Trabisnikof posted:

What does Panera Bread have to do with tasty food?

Maybe they can give you directions to the nearest Five Guys?

I blame this intersection of fast food and politics on Chik-Fil-A. :argh:

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Jeb Bush looks like Bush 43 when he lies.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Holy gently caress.

Is he...not aware that his son just died? What's the context here?
That's part of his stump speech. A reporter was like "Hey why'd you say that he's burying his kid tomorrow" and Cruz just turned and walked away, then made a facebook/twitter post going "my bad."

Still not as bad as the time Paul Ryan brought up a car crash to Biden's face at the debate.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Still not as bad as the time Paul Ryan brought up a car crash to Biden's face at the debate.

Even worse he did it as a transparent attempt to distract Biden and get and some breathing room from the smack down he was getting.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

That just made it all the sweeter when Biden mopped the floor with his rear end. God I loved that debate.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

out of the blue question but were Carville and Matalin loving during the '92 election? i'm almost done with The War Room and it's making me a little hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Yeah they were together at the time.

• Locked thread