Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Twizzlers are bad, but not as bad as black licorice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Rollersnake posted:

The only licorice I can't stand are the red Twizzlers. That poo poo is godawful, and (I assume) is why so many Americans hate licorice.
Americans mean black licorice when they say they hate licorice. If they meant red licorice, they'd specify.

Also there is no such thing as "red Twizzlers." There are cherry Twizzlers and strawberry Twizzlers. The strawberry ones are meh, the cherry ones are delicious.

Edit for content: salty licorice ice cream. Mmmm, ammonia.

pookel has a new favorite as of 15:06 on Jun 3, 2015

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also pretty sure Twizzlers and Red Vines and the like have nothing to do with actual licorice. They're just ropey chewy candy.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Rah! posted:

And I'm pretty sure the worst jellybeans are not licorice.

actually the worst jelly bean is in that mix

it's Juicy Pear :barf:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Data Graham posted:

Also pretty sure Twizzlers and Red Vines and the like have nothing to do with actual licorice. They're just ropey chewy candy.

Yeah, it has more in common with "Australian Licorice" than black licorice.

axolotl farmer posted:

actually the worst jelly bean is in that mix

it's Juicy Pear :barf:

Broken people ITT.

chickie nugs for brekkie
May 17, 2010

Wrong

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

empty sea posted:

I've had fruit cake exactly once, at Christmas in Newfoundland. My boyfriend's grandma had soaked it in rum for a month or so and they lit it on fire for dessert, then served it with clotted cream. It was loving delicious. Warm, dense and deeply flavorful with chunks of fruit, a hint of rum in the heavy cake and then the cream added a nice finishing touch. I don't know if she bought some store cake and then soaked it in rum or made it herself but goddamn ya'll.

I will accept no other version of fruit cake. That poo poo was beyond magical. If I was still in a relationship with him, I'd beg the recipe so I could eat it all the time.

Didn't being soaked in rum for a month make it all soggy?

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'd take the skunk spray honestly.

Please don't let you're mum post on these forums.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

cowboythreespeech posted:

Didn't being soaked in rum for a month make it all soggy?

It's less "soaked" and more "pour rum on top, let it absorb into the cake, repeat until all rum absorbed and then let sit for a month". The cake is not dropped into a bucket of rum and left to sit for a month. If done right the end product is moist, rather than soggy.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Keep your weird cakes just give me the booze.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

I legitimately don't understand how anyone can consider carob an acceptable substitute for chocolate, or something that tastes even remotely good. Like, even if I were deathly allergic to chocolate and could never have it again, I still wouldn't eat carob.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Rollersnake posted:

I legitimately don't understand how anyone can consider carob an acceptable substitute for chocolate, or something that tastes even remotely good. Like, even if I were deathly allergic to chocolate and could never have it again, I still wouldn't eat carob.

I was allergic to chocolate as a kid, and I loving despised carob. It never tasted anything like chocolate, maybe more like wood chip flavored dark chocolate.

I think part of the problem was that they never tried to sweeten the carob or add cream to it. It was always marketed as some bullshit "healthy" chocolate, which means it was marketed to white suburban women, which means they tried to imitate the awful taste of cacao.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Double wrong, Dots are the poo poo.

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

It's less "soaked" and more "pour rum on top, let it absorb into the cake, repeat until all rum absorbed and then let sit for a month". The cake is not dropped into a bucket of rum and left to sit for a month. If done right the end product is moist, rather than soggy.

Okay, that makes more sense. I pictured... yeah, just chuck that cake in a barrel of liquor and cover it for a month.

Bukowski
Dec 28, 2009

hammulder

pookel posted:

Edit for content: salty licorice ice cream. Mmmm, ammonia.

Oh look, it's the best part of Tiger ice cream!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Chard posted:

Keep your weird cakes just give me the booze.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

My ex and I used to play Jelly Roulette. We'd take a few boxes of these and dump these out onto the bed. Whoever could get to the end without vomiting won! My ex lost after getting the barf one, apparently it's extremely accurate.

Wasabi the J posted:

I was allergic to chocolate as a kid, and I loving despised carob. It never tasted anything like chocolate, maybe more like wood chip flavored dark chocolate.

I think part of the problem was that they never tried to sweeten the carob or add cream to it. It was always marketed as some bullshit "healthy" chocolate, which means it was marketed to white suburban women, which means they tried to imitate the awful taste of cacao.

I file people who pretend to prefer super dark chocolate under the same category as people who also think superfruits are a real thing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I like tossing a little bit of super dark chocolate into coffee. But like sitting down and eating a bar if it sounds a little gross.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Any chocolate below 75% is poo poo

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
My dad eats 95% chocolate by preference and is not a hipster or health food weirdo. Then again, he also chews aspirin when he takes them because he likes the taste, so he is a bit odd.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

I occasionally eat super dark chocolate. Like 80-90%. I also love real licorice, drink dark roasted coffee black, and eat very pungent cheeses like gargonzola.

Some people just like the intensity that comes with bitter foods. Sit me down with a head cheese sandwhich and freshly cut fennel and I will be a happy camper.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I made banana bread with super-dark chocolate, and it was delicious. The bananas I used were waaay overripe, and it kinda helped cut the sweetness in an interesting way.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I like to eat raw lemons.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

I like to eat raw lemons.

Have I got a cake for you, then.

Fruit cake.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Have I got a cake for you, then.

Fruit cake.

Lemons own, fruit cake owns.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Lemons own, fruit cake owns.

If you like both of those things, have I got a cake for you.

Dump a pile of mulched fruit cake on the floor and eat the fruit cake off the floor like a animal you piece of poo poo.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

cash crab posted:

I file people who pretend to prefer super dark chocolate under the same category as people who also think superfruits are a real thing.

It's an intense flavor so far removed from milk chocolate that presenting it as chocolate is a complete lie. I've had some pretty great 80-95% dark chocolate but I always pair it with black coffee to wash the taste down.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

pentyne posted:

It's an intense flavor so far removed from milk chocolate that presenting it as chocolate is a complete lie. I've had some pretty great 80-95% dark chocolate but I always pair it with black coffee a good Stout or Porter to wash the taste down.

Fixed that for you.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
High percentage chocolate comes off as sour or tart to me. I think it's my bitter sense being hosed into submission or something. I like strong coffee but chocolate doesn't sit well with me without plenty of sugar.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

pentyne posted:

It's an intense flavor so far removed from milk chocolate that presenting it as chocolate is a complete lie. I've had some pretty great 80-95% dark chocolate but I always pair it with black coffee to wash the taste down.

Milk chocolate is the lie here.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I hate this thread, after two drinks I would eat 70% of the things in it. But I can't find them.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

pookel posted:

American wedding cakes require freezing because they are basically this:

I can't tell who's trolling who any more but is this seriously what passes for wedding cake in the US?

And I don't mean a wedding cake that belongs in this thread, just an average wedding cake.
(Another Australian who's used to fruit cake being the main option)

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

I like fruit cake, black liquorice (including 'salty') and loving love super dark chocolate. I also drink my coffee as strong as possible, black with no sugar and am all over smelly, moldy cheeses. You're all missing out, seriously.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

VodeAndreas posted:

I can't tell who's trolling who any more but is this seriously what passes for wedding cake in the US?

No, not at all. Wedding cake in the US is less edible than that, with more rolled fondant, sculpted fondant, architectural fondant, fondant-bearing fondant, and insulating fondant. There might actually be some cake involved in it somewhere, supported by dowels and cardboard so it doesn't crash through the fondant.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

VodeAndreas posted:

And I don't mean a wedding cake that belongs in this thread, just an average wedding cake.
(Another Australian who's used to fruit cake being the main option)

Yes, but they are usually large, multi-tiered and are extravagantly decorated. Like this:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Well yeah they throw some nice white icing (normally "royal icing") over the fruit cake, and it might have a couple of tiers but it's not lovely vanilla cake mix out of a box or whatever that thing is.

Thanks for the replies.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I like eating fondant. I'm ashamed.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

VodeAndreas posted:

Well yeah they throw some nice white icing (normally "royal icing") over the fruit cake, and it might have a couple of tiers but it's not lovely vanilla cake mix out of a box or whatever that thing is.

Thanks for the replies.

You can make a white cake from scratch and it's pretty straightforward. We had two cakes at our wedding - one was a white cake and the other was chocolate with peanut butter frosting. Admittedly the second one stole the show but the first one was made from scratch and tasted fine.

Protip: double the vanilla and get some flavor in the cake.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Most 'food' that's just a lump of refined sugar with flavour is bad and terrible. Give me the darkest chocolate, I don't want none of that milk poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Picnic Princess posted:

Most 'food' that's just a lump of refined sugar with flavour is bad and terrible. Give me the darkest chocolate, I don't want none of that milk poo poo.

Dark chocolate is fine but there's something wrong with you if you can't appreciate the taste of good quality milk chocolate (i.e. not hersheys).

• Locked thread