Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I'm probably a giant idiot for going into ranked matched with my Splattershot Jr but I will never give it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenns
Mar 18, 2015

[INSERT TEXT HERE]

bobjr posted:

As good as no voice chat is, I'd like more options to help coordinate a team. Like pressing a spot on the map you want to focus an attack on, or one of the d-pad options be push or defend.

I kind of wish they added some kind of generic messaging system that you could use during matches. Like a couple of generic directions you could send out to the team and some Okay/No responses.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Tyty posted:

You know what's really not fun?

Going up against a team with 4 air strikes. They all drop within 30 seconds and then again right before the end. It's stupid.

You should like, y'know, kill some guys so they don't have their specials all up.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

bxfenns posted:

I kind of wish they added some kind of generic messaging system that you could use during matches. Like a couple of generic directions you could send out to the team and some Okay/No responses.
dpad:
^ go here(tap screen)
v defend
< no
> yes

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

You should ask Nintendo about that through miiverse nonstop until they respond.

how can i contact them in the miiverse i have some questions about the clothing options in pokemon as well

Parallax posted:

I'm probably a giant idiot for going into ranked matched with my Splattershot Jr but I will never give it up

The SPJr is one of the best weapons in the game. Splat Bombs and Bubble just make it better. If you wanna get fancy, get Stealth Jump, get your Special up, drop on a friend who will probably die, and just spray the hell out of the enemy while we tries and succeeds at nothing.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
Am I a baby for thinking inkstrikes at zero seconds is a lame tactic? I hate sitting there watching the map paint itself well after the match has ended.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Does anyone have any tips for ranked? I keep getting near B - and then falling back. My level is 16 and my weapon of choice is the Aerospray RG, (that's the one with the mines and tactical nuke, right?)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Change up your weapon. Aerosprays are great in turf war but you're better off with either a more long range automatic weapon for killing people around the point/keeping people away from the point/inking the point at less risk to yourself, or a blaster/charger for faster close kills/longer range kills, respectively

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

For those who are fans of the Aerospray, which version specifically is the one you like? I got the first one but it just seems like a fat inaccurate mess. It gets good ink coverage sure, but I can't hit people with it for poo poo unless they are beside me and for splatting people and inking I would prefer to use the Roller.

What exactly am I missing with it?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Has anybody else been using the Gold Roller? It OHKOs at distances it has no business reaching, hits enemies directly above you, and has Inkstrike. It's the kind of loadout that can singlehandedly turn a Splat Zone game around.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

The Crusher posted:

Am I a baby for thinking inkstrikes at zero seconds is a lame tactic? I hate sitting there watching the map paint itself well after the match has ended.

The time spent to actually fire that thing at the end could have just been better spent painting the floor manually, especially if you were playing super safe just to avoid dying.

the only real frustrating use of it ive seen is inkstrinking a control point at the end of a timer in splatzone to force overtime.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Inkstrikes are best used when the board is seemingly tied and you have 1 second left. If you get one at like 10 seconds in and use it, it will essentially be wasted. I mean, it's good when you see your team fighting another team since it'll cause the other team to back up and they can use the new paint to hide and ambush.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
http://imgur.com/gallery/FfY35iw

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Evil Canadian posted:

For those who are fans of the Aerospray, which version specifically is the one you like? I got the first one but it just seems like a fat inaccurate mess. It gets good ink coverage sure, but I can't hit people with it for poo poo unless they are beside me and for splatting people and inking I would prefer to use the Roller.

I like the MG best, but the RG is better for Splat Zones imo. Not that you should use the Aerospray in ranked.

It is pretty lovely at killing people. However, within its tiny range, you will just spray so much paint that whoever you are targeting will be stuck in place. Outside of your gun range, Seekers are surprisingly effective! Also, the Inkzooka charges quickly and easily kills people standing still or far away.

Also you're underestimating how good it is at inking the map. It's quite easy to get 1000 points before win bonus with the Aerospray. I'm not a great roller player, but I'm lucky to be breaking 700 with a roller.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I disagree like 6m percent. I play a mixed playstyle as if I'm a fast roller when i have the Aero so ducking and jumping up to splat will get rid of people and leave me to my devices to cover area in ranked. The inkstrikes are just hard for me to gauge when since I'm never looking at the Gamepad unless I'm doing an inkstrike already, but it's hard to make a decision on where to place it as I also need to protect myself.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Aerospray is not really good in ranked. It can give you a bunch of ink strikes but those aren't that great, and it's pretty much the worst gun for killing.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Fashion Squids

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
maybe you guys jsut suck with it i kill people like it's my job which it is

Ometeotl posted:

Fashion Squids

I need to find another shirt with Ninja Squid because the anchor shirt makes my dude look basic as all hell

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

noirstronaut posted:

maybe you guys jsut suck with it i kill people like it's my job which it is

It doesn't matter how many kills you get with it. It's one of the worst guns for killing people.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Evil Canadian posted:

It's fast, it spreads ink like mad, seekers are awesome, the Inkzooka is good for splatting people you can't with the gun itself and people seem to not expect you to whip it out so two-three splats with the thing are pretty common if you know how to use it, it looks really cool. I like it. Only good for killing up close, but if you're sneaking around as a squid and stuff that's not too hard to pull off.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Lemming posted:

It doesn't matter how many kills you get with it. It's one of the worst guns for killing people.

then maybe i'm just really good

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't get why you guys like ninja squid so much. You can already sneak through ink without leaving a trail if as long as you don't push the control stick all the way. Its barely slower than moving at max speed, so why use ninja squid over cold-blooded/something else? If it gave your squid some minor cloaking so you can jump in and out of ink without the enemy seeing it would be cool but as far as I can tell, the only change is you don't like a ripple trail at max speed. Entering and leaving ink still leaves ripples though so if your enemy sees those they'll know where you are anyways.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't get why you guys like ninja squid so much. You can already sneak through ink without leaving a trail if as long as you don't push the control stick all the way. Its barely slower than moving at max speed, so why use ninja squid over cold-blooded/something else? If it gave your squid some minor cloaking so you can jump in and out of ink without the enemy seeing it would be cool but as far as I can tell, the only change is you don't like a ripple trail at max speed. Entering and leaving ink still leaves ripples though so if your enemy sees those they'll know where you are anyways.

Sometimes you gotta move fast bruh

but it's usually ninja squid with stealth jump for maximum "gotcha"ness

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Ometeotl posted:

Fashion Squids

I, also, really like the aviator goggles even though I don't need the extra bomb toss distance.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

I buy clothes and stuff if they have a new ability I haven't tried yet, but even then I mostly gravitate towards to what looks coolest freshest.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Speaking of which, The Yetee's newst t-shirts are pretty great

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Aerosprayers might vow to their weapon of choice, but ranking matches needs support weapons, and the .96 Gal is my weapon of choice when it comes to that. The main itself is a beast of a gun with it's range and power. The sprinkler sub is an effective way to take or hold a zone while you concentrate on gunning down your opponents. The echo locator however is the most essential special, since not only do you know the exact location of the enemy but your team mates also see that. That makes things a bit easier for you and your buddies.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Well, tried the Gals and Jet Squelchers and then lost three times in a row. I'm not too confident trying out a sniper rifle since I have poo poo accuracy, and there aren't too many sniping spaces to begin with. It feels really good winning rank, but it also feels super bad to lose.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Sniper is really good in Port, even if you're being rushed. Aerospray is best for all levels all the time, however

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I think the Zapper is a great weapon. Decent damage and range, good fire rate, ink usage, and accuracy, with grenades and echolocation. I prefer it for Splat Zone because you can paint the zones quickly without sacrificing much of your stopping power, while having grenades for keeping enemies at bay and the almighty wallhack special. The Aerospray is absolutely uncontested for Turf War, though.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Oh man, that final boss. That's one for the books. That was outstanding.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Having +Attack as a main stat turns Blaster splash damage from piddling to lethal, it's serious business out here.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Reiley posted:

Having +Attack as a main stat turns Blaster splash damage from piddling to lethal, it's serious business out here.

I've run into a few japanese players squid-jumping or whatever you want to call it using this load-out and clown shoes, it's kinda retarded. Also it has Bubbler??? I don't really see how anyone can fail to kill with this gun.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

noirstronaut posted:

I need to find another shirt with Ninja Squid because the anchor shirt makes my dude look basic as all hell

I got a vest with cold blooded I'm pretty happy with and some sweet two-star ninja jump shoes.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
this game got me to get a wii u so im glad its good and not bad

im still suffering mental scars over a teammate i kept getting that was rank 16 and playing sniper and getting 250p a round since he did abdominal things like camp and walk around in uninked areas without shooting. it really stinks when people like that are in lobbies and you can immediatly know when youve lost a game when you see them pop up on your team at the start.

i also made a thing

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Really sad that you can't reroll primary abilities on equips. I want to wear the varsity jacket but I mostly use charge rifles and damage up only matters on the E-Liter 3k

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
How to avoid seekers: Push X

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I got a vest with cold blooded I'm pretty happy with and some sweet two-star ninja jump shoes.

Yeah, I used to rock the vest, but ninja squid + stealth jump is almost too good to be real.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Samba De Amigo posted:

I've run into a few japanese players squid-jumping or whatever you want to call it using this load-out and clown shoes, it's kinda retarded. Also it has Bubbler??? I don't really see how anyone can fail to kill with this gun.

Without +attack you need to land your shot dead-on to get the one-hit kill, otherwise the damage falloff can require two or three shots to do the job. It's actually surprisingly tricky when you're the only person who is aiming your gun an entire match, and if you misjudge the distance by like half a foot then your 100+ damage one-shot turns into a 30 damage splash at the back of the burst, but +attack really really helps this gun out a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Why do the teams not reroll between matches in ranked

• Locked thread