Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
yanking on the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Laserface posted:

So how do we fix it without rebooting the server? thats all I care about.
Provision more storage and expand the volume? You said they are likely to be VMs. If you can't provision more storage or can't extend the volume without reboot (meaning you're on 2003 R2 or older), then you should be mad at the previous sysadmin for that, not because he chose 60GB for C: (which is generous).

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
You Only Talk Jargon :bahgawd:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Yospos on the job.

OmniCorp
Oct 30, 2004

A hatchet came in...

Found this when installing new cabinets in a remote colo. Left in our locked dumpster - top opens enough to slide small stuff in.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Quick! Hold it in a murdering fashion and leave back in the dumpster.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Congrats on being the freshest set of prints on that thing.

OmniCorp
Oct 30, 2004

Never touched that thing. Pulled it out with cardboard. Field engineer from that area was not surprised at all.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Renegret posted:

You lucky dog, you.
Speaking of Remedy, we're apparently moving away from hosting and running our own Remedy server to subscribing to one hosted by BMC ~*in the cloud*~. Anyone have any experience in using Remedy this way? On one hand I'm glad I'm glad our people won't be running it anymore since they could never keep everything updated, but at the same time I'm always wary of off-site resources, and anything Remedy in general. Granted there's not a lot of data transfer involved in tickets, but I don't trust Remedy not to be doing something stupid that's going to make everything really slow.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Inspector_666 posted:

Is there any good DVR system out there? They all seem terrible in every conceivable way.

We bent over and gave Avigilon a sackful of money and it's incredibly awesome.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Is there any good DVR system out there? They all seem terrible in every conceivable way.

ExacqVision has a virtual appliance and web interface, which is about as modern as you can expect. I don't know how well it scales, but I almost never touch it.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Knormal posted:

Speaking of Remedy, we're apparently moving away from hosting and running our own Remedy server to subscribing to one hosted by BMC ~*in the cloud*~. Anyone have any experience in using Remedy this way? On one hand I'm glad I'm glad our people won't be running it anymore since they could never keep everything updated, but at the same time I'm always wary of off-site resources, and anything Remedy in general. Granted there's not a lot of data transfer involved in tickets, but I don't trust Remedy not to be doing something stupid that's going to make everything really slow.

We are not using their cloud product, so I can't speak to that; however, the new BMC support model is to 'swarm' and have the initial person answering the phone create your ticket and triage it, assigning it for review. I waited over 24 hours for a call back and fixed my own issue before they ever contacted me :(

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Erwin posted:

ExacqVision has a virtual appliance and web interface, which is about as modern as you can expect. I don't know how well it scales, but I almost never touch it.

We're upgrading to ExacqVision stuff and it seems pretty ok(really, really good compared to the antiquated NetVU stuff we were using at least)

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
What's the way to find a going rate for consulting in the area. Leaving my current gig today but I'll likely be called in to help with some additional work that's required and I want to get a base rate for them.

I'm thinking $100 and hour, minimum 30 mins but I'm not sure how to gauge the market in the area (Outside of Toronto).

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Why not call up a few local shops and ask what they charge?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

FreshFeesh posted:

Why not call up a few local shops and ask what they charge?

I intend to. I was just curious if there was maybe an aggregate site like glassdoor for something similar.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Knormal posted:

Speaking of Remedy, we're apparently moving away from hosting and running our own Remedy server to subscribing to one hosted by BMC ~*in my butt*~. Anyone have any experience in using Remedy this way? On one hand I'm glad I'm glad our people won't be running it anymore since they could never keep everything updated, but at the same time I'm always wary of off-site resources, and anything Remedy in general. Granted there's not a lot of data transfer involved in tickets, but I don't trust Remedy not to be doing something stupid that's going to make everything really slow.

Haha, remedy up to date? Is that a thing?

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Erwin posted:

Provision more storage and expand the volume? You said they are likely to be VMs. If you can't provision more storage or can't extend the volume without reboot (meaning you're on 2003 R2 or older), then you should be mad at the previous sysadmin for that, not because he chose 60GB for C: (which is generous).

Could also be something truly horrifying like C: and D: partitions being on the same virtual disk too, meaning you can't make C: bigger without loving around moving the D: partition to the end of the device/new device using gparted or something.
And that could take hours to complete, meaning lots of downtime.

Been there.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I had a nurse approach me for an office move

They are actually a 3rd party so all I do is move their phones for them

She put a change request in so when I didn't get any dates I threatened to action it immediately - so then they want a meeting with my boss present to sort it... Fine we now have a date for moves

They then postponed the agreed dates from the meeting, decide not to tell me any new dates then ask me to do it ASAP when they passed me in the corridor.

I did actually do it because there was stuff that impacted my company if they didn't move

Following that -in our meeting I agreed to run a long patch lead round the room using those sticky pads you can put cable ties through - I said we don't have budget for additional data points so it's that or nothing, they agree

I then get a call to sort this data point out because 'it looks like those pads have been re-used and keep coming unstuck - there is also an engineer waiting to put a computer on the end of it'

I'm thinking no they were fine and out a packet what is going on.. I turn up and someone has indeed decided they didn't like it going nicely in the corner of the room and decided to try and restick across the middle of the room for no apparent reason as it still ended up in the same place... No sign of an engineer either

So I thought gently caress it ill tape it for now and sent a miserable email to this nurse explaining they couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery and from now on I will be requiring formal change requests for any work they want and they will all be completed 5 days from submission as that is the agreed SLA I have with the business, like it or lump it

I have then had an email today saying when am I putting trunking up for the data point like we agreed in the original meeting - I think someone needs to stock take the drugs they hold down there!!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Somebody didn't send MOH!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I did something terrible.

Background: Client is a car dealership. Their network is managed by ADP. This network was originally setup in the late 90's, whoever configured it originally used public IP address space for all of the network devices. The network is currently behind NAT. All local addresses are tracked by their "IT" guy in an excel sheet, and manually configured on each computer/device. There is a DHCP server on the network, it is controlled by the company that they lease their diagnostic equipment from, serves a 10 address range, and the company is unwilling to change anything about their configuration.

The dealership wanted us to install a wireless network for their sales people to use their phones/tables/laptops/whatever on. Normally not a big deal, throw up some UniFi AP's, do some testing, fill in the holes, done. The hiccup here, of course, is that the on site IT doesn't want to manually manage IP's for 30 new devices.

My solution: Install a new switch and router specifically for the wireless network. All of the AP's plug into this switch, and the router serves DHCP for all devices connected to the AP's.

The terrible thing: The switch has a port with ACL's configured to block all DHCP traffic, and is then plugged into the main ADP managed switch.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Most AP's will do their own DHCP for guest networks if you want. Aruba/Meraki will for sure would avoid needing another router.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

MJP posted:

Our company is one of those companies where it's ~super great~ and they put vacation, personal, and sick days in one big bank.

In CA vacation time has to be paid out when you are fired/quit, sick leave does not. NY and NJ leave it as a matter of company policy. I would try to use your vacation on your own terms now while searching for another job.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Kurieg posted:

If you pull out those platters and put them in a phonograph I'm sure you'd hear the computer's screams for death.

Toss it in a CD case, sell it as an indie music album called Chorus of the Cicadas

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

socialsecurity posted:

Most AP's will do their own DHCP for guest networks if you want. Aruba/Meraki will for sure would avoid needing another router.

I'm pretty sure it's the IPs for the APs being discussed, so they can be managed on the network.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

The Fool posted:

Background: Client is a car dealership. Their network is managed by ADP. This network was originally setup in the late 90's, whoever configured it originally used public IP address space for all of the network devices. The network is currently behind NAT. All local addresses are tracked by their "IT" guy in an excel sheet, and manually configured on each computer/device. There is a DHCP server on the network, it is controlled by the company that they lease their diagnostic equipment from, serves a 10 address range, and the company is unwilling to change anything about their configuration.

The dealership wanted us to install a wireless network for their sales people to use their phones/tables/laptops/whatever on. Normally not a big deal, throw up some UniFi AP's, do some testing, fill in the holes, done. The hiccup here, of course, is that the on site IT doesn't want to manually manage IP's for 30 new devices.

My solution: Install a new switch and router specifically for the wireless network. All of the AP's plug into this switch, and the router serves DHCP for all devices connected to the AP's.

The terrible thing: The switch has a port with ACL's configured to block all DHCP traffic, and is then plugged into the main ADP managed switch.
Is the CIO at this company the son of the IT Manager? Because I'm convinced you work at my last job.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Just in case anyone was wondering, gently caress Everfocus forever. I have a virtual machine whose sole use is connecting to these things because you have to let all sorts of Java and ActiveX run unprompted and unchecked and also use Internet Explorer on the lowest security setting and make manual edits to the JRE configuration files with Notepad, all just to get their stupid web frontend to work. It is beyond abysmal.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The Fool posted:

What does the DHCP server they currently have do?

So you plugged in to an existing network, that refused to move, and made it work with the parts you could control? Thats good, I don't think its terrible. I'm reading POODR for ruby programming and they emphasize some patterns for when this is the case. It's kinda common in software, so for your case I don't think its terrible, I see it as kind of innovative and a good pattern because you are isolating your dependencies. That other network is rigid and unmoveable, better to keep the number of touch points to it as small as possible.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

kensei posted:

We are not using their cloud product, so I can't speak to that; however, the new BMC support model is to 'swarm' and have the initial person answering the phone create your ticket and triage it, assigning it for review. I waited over 24 hours for a call back and fixed my own issue before they ever contacted me :(
Oh we're still handling all the content and everything, our helpdesk is internal, we'll just all be going to http://www.remedy.com/companyname or whatever instead of an internal server. Frankly I'm surprised that got approved since we're a state agency so our tickets occasionally contain personal information. I'm sure they're handling it securely on BMC's side with encrypted volumes and everything, but it still seems strange that we're letting it out considering who knows who has access to it on their side.

Gilok posted:

Haha, remedy up to date? Is that a thing?

Yep, this is basically what all of our menus look like. Our biggest problem is with user information, most people's location and contact information hasn't been updated since they were dumped into the current system several years ago, and only the helpdesk and Remedy admins (of which there are two) have the permissions to add new people, so basically new people don't get added to Remedy at all unless they have an IT problem.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Knormal posted:

We use it, it's poo poo, it's slow, has stupid compatibility issues with browsers, getting BMC to change anything is a huge hassle, there's no easy way to just copy/paste a link to a ticket, and we're trialling replacement ticketing systems now. Don't do it, BMC don't deserve your money.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

flosofl posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the IPs for the APs being discussed, so they can be managed on the network.

8 ap's, ~30 client devices

anthonypants posted:

Is the CIO at this company the son of the IT Manager? Because I'm convinced you work at my last job.

Small town car dealership, no c-level anything. Their IT guy is also the manager of their parts department.

KoRMaK posted:

What does the DHCP server they currently have do?

So you plugged in to an existing network, that refused to move, and made it work with the parts you could control? Thats good, I don't think its terrible. I'm reading POODR for ruby programming and they emphasize some patterns for when this is the case. It's kinda common in software, so for your case I don't think its terrible, I see it as kind of innovative and a good pattern because you are isolating your dependencies. That other network is rigid and unmoveable, better to keep the number of touch points to it as small as possible.

The only existing dhcp server is managed by the vendor that provides some Wi-Fi based diagnostics equipment, and they get cranky if you try to do anything with their equipment.

The most frustrating part of this job is that I know someone is going to look at this in 2 years and be all "what the gently caress was this guy thinking"

The Fool fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 4, 2015

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A phone call came in, 30min after our on-call hours end. The call comes up as"Restricted' too so I knew it was probably one of my users. I didn't answer it, of course (was in the middle of watching a movie*), but did listen to the message they left me. Turns out its one of my more problematic and technologically incompetent users. She is one of our site managers, and tells me she went back to her office (at 9pm...) to "do some work", got onto Youtube and in the process thinks she got a virus. She is worried her computer is now infected/she has compromised the network, and wants me to look at it. Gives me a phone number to call her back on.

:mad:

I try calling her back on the number she left me, it gives me a busy signal. I call it back again, busy signal. I pull up the number she actually called me from, and dial that instead. She picks up on the 3rd ring with "WHO IS THIS??!" :what: I ask her to elaborate what has occurred and she tells me about browsing Youtube, getting some browser popup saying she had a virus, and at that point she just.....reboots her computer and leaves. Just walks out of the building and locks up. She then goes home and calls me from there, after an undetermined amount of time has passed.

I end up checking out her computer, since I can't really ignore this, and it's clean. I guess tomorrow either I or my boss are going to need to have a discussion with her regarding acceptable use. My poo poo list has a new name on it.

*Interstellar, for the first time, goddamn what a frustrating film

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

NZAmoeba posted:

We use it, it's poo poo, it's slow, has stupid compatibility issues with browsers, getting BMC to change anything is a huge hassle, there's no easy way to just copy/paste a link to a ticket, and we're trialling replacement ticketing systems now. Don't do it, BMC don't deserve your money.
Awesome. Believe me, I have no say in this. This was introduced to all us tier-1 through -3 folks by the Remedy admins as "This has already been decided on by the higher-ups, the contracts have been signed, here's whats happening..." I don't think they're to happy with it either, as they've now become glorified data entry people since all their job consists of after the go-live date is to import and update our data.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

The Fool posted:

Small town car dealership, no c-level anything. Their IT guy is also the manager of their parts department.
Aww, man. The company I used to work for was a fairly large semitruck/tractor trailer dealership, but otherwise their setup was extremely similar to the one you described. ADP-managed routers that weren't managed by anyone in front of everything, and IT management was clueless and nepotistic enough to handwave away any potential issues. We once had one of their switches get unplugged because an AT&T rep went out to a location to reclaim some gear and unplugged poo poo that wasn't theirs. It was unplugged for months before ADP noticed anything was wrong. I do not miss that job.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

MJP posted:

Edit: phone interview scheduled for Friday, 7 AM - the manager is in the UK. They're a quantitative analytics firm downtown and apparently the only quant/poll firm to correctly call the UK elections.

That sounds like a company I've been dealing with before. If the guy's name is Simon and they're based, um.. "within driving distance of Heathrow" you can expect a diverse and whacky/nerdy-yet-wonderful set of people that really cares about the company. Oh, and from a client viewpoint their product is awesome too.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Office Puppy is annoyed that Office Bunny and Office Lizard was getting all her attention, so she came to work to fix poo poo up!

Printer inspected and found OK:

Sniffing out some hard drives:

Mission accomplished, treat time!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

evobatman posted:

Office Puppy is annoyed that Office Bunny and Office Lizard was getting all her attention, so she came to work to fix poo poo up!

Printer inspected and found OK:

Sniffing out some hard drives:

Mission accomplished, treat time!

:3:

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Sirotan posted:

A phone call came in, 30min after our on-call hours end. The call comes up as"Restricted' too so I knew it was probably one of my users. I didn't answer it, of course (was in the middle of watching a movie*), but did listen to the message they left me. Turns out its one of my more problematic and technologically incompetent users. She is one of our site managers, and tells me she went back to her office (at 9pm...) to "do some work", got onto Youtube and in the process thinks she got a virus. She is worried her computer is now infected/she has compromised the network, and wants me to look at it. Gives me a phone number to call her back on.

I try calling her back on the number she left me, it gives me a busy signal. I call it back again, busy signal. I pull up the number she actually called me from, and dial that instead. She picks up on the 3rd ring with "WHO IS THIS??!" :what: I ask her to elaborate what has occurred and she tells me about browsing Youtube, getting some browser popup saying she had a virus, and at that point she just.....reboots her computer and leaves. Just walks out of the building and locks up. She then goes home and calls me from there, after an undetermined amount of time has passed.

I end up checking out her computer, since I can't really ignore this, and it's clean. I guess tomorrow either I or my boss are going to need to have a discussion with her regarding acceptable use. My poo poo list has a new name on it.

I had a couple calls yesterday from users going to youtube and believing they were infected with something shortly thereafter. Good old "windows has detected a threat blah blah blah" on their OSX machines.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Sirotan posted:

I'm willing to bet she just mistyped youtube.com as youtuve.com or something. That seems to be the source of every "Youtube says I have a virus!!!" ticket I've responded to. Even better when the typo becomes the site Chrome or Firefox start auto completing to.

fake edit:
youtuve was just the first typo that came to mind, it I just checked and it indeed is one of those fake antivirus pages...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Hungry Computer posted:

I'm willing to bet she just mistyped youtube.com as youtuve.com or something. That seems to be the source of every "Youtube says I have a virus!!!" ticket I've responded to. Even better when the typo becomes the site Chrome or Firefox start auto completing to.

fake edit:
youtuve was just the first typo that came to mind, it I just checked and it indeed is one of those fake antivirus pages...

Time to add both to the web filter methinks, or create a DNS that loops that URL back to 127.0.0.1 as a nice "gently caress you for wasting my time"

• Locked thread