Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If there is any one rule, it should be that you only get one team per league. Otherwise you're just hedging your bets and not stepping up to the plate in your big boy pants and casting your lot with the one you truly believe in. I've run out of space to cram more platitudes into that sentence.

The one that got me a while ago: I went to a Nats game and had a pretty good time, so I was like "maybe I'll go to more baseball games. Baseball games are kinda fun in person, even if I don't really like baseball." But then I had this feeling of "no, if you are going to pay money for baseball, you pay for horrible Pirates games like you're supposed to."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crazy Ted posted:

Can we still make fun of MourningView for cheering for the Stockton/Malone Jazz and the 1990's Dallas Cowboys?

869 words on Johnny Manziel throwing a water bottle.

At least it wasn't Cowboys and Jordan Bulls!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Sash! posted:

If there is any one rule, it should be that you only get one team per league. Otherwise you're just hedging your bets and not stepping up to the plate in your big boy pants and casting your lot with the one you truly believe in. I've run out of space to cram more platitudes into that sentence.
You get more than one when they suck. When I was 5-10 years old the Braves and Cubs were on TV far more than the Twins, so I liked those teams more as a result. They were also in last place pretty much every year.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I don't get how people bandwagon. I've seriously tried doing it before, and it's felt very empty.

Not saying this from a "lol frontrunner" perspective, but I don't get how it really feels all that fulfilling as a fan.

About the only teams I've ever really felt any sort of connection to in that regard have been a couple of college teams I've been to games and had a good time at. (Clemson for example).

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
People get attracted to teams for weird reasons. I grew up in the northeast and became a die-hard Sonics fan because they were good when I decided I wasn't gonna root for the same Boston teams like everyone else (and poo poo which #40 was I gonna cheer for, Shawn Kemp or Dino Radja?), and that was helped because the Sonics were good at that time and played exciting basketball. Just don't bring up Mutombo and we're good.

I can't explain why I'm a Lions fan other than my uncontrollable urge to punch myself in the dick at any and all times.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I guess Keith wants to take a vacation...

https://twitter.com/KeithOlbermann/status/605779850717036544

quote:

With Blatter's resignation I'd like to congratulate @NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on his ascension to World's Worst Sports Executive.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He did an entire segment saying more or less exactly that and calling for Goodell to resign after the Ray Rice video came out. It's almost like "being critical of Goodell" wasn't the real reason Bill Simmons got in trouble!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Olbermann's criticized Goodell before, Simmons got popped for his COME AT ME bit

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Simmons 1) straight-up called Goddell a "liar" and 2) openly dared his bosses at ESPN to suspend him for it (and then was incredulous when they did), neither of which Olbermann has done.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
ESPN also has the tweet in an article linked on their front page, so yeah, I guess this is fair game.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FMguru posted:

Simmons 1) straight-up called Goddell a "liar" and 2) openly dared his bosses at ESPN to suspend him for it (and then was incredulous when they did), neither of which Olbermann has done.

And by daring them he undermined their entire coverage of the NFL by heavily implying that they were in the pocket of the league, despite multiple ESPN outlets being highly critical of Goodell in the wake of the Rice video. Olbermann and OTL managed to pull it off in a professional way that didn't put themselves above the story for the sake of pushing some goofy rebellious teenager image. And when you're less mature and professional than Keith loving Olbermann you seriously need to rethink how you're handling things.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

MourningView posted:

And when you're less mature and professional than Keith loving Olbermann you seriously need to rethink how you're handling things.
Simmons currently has lots and lots of free time to think about how he handles things.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

FuzzySkinner posted:

I don't get how people bandwagon. I've seriously tried doing it before, and it's felt very empty.

Not saying this from a "lol frontrunner" perspective, but I don't get how it really feels all that fulfilling as a fan.

About the only teams I've ever really felt any sort of connection to in that regard have been a couple of college teams I've been to games and had a good time at. (Clemson for example).

I think it comes from just wanting to see the game played well and being a fan of individual players.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Yeah, Le Batard had an article with something like "integrity is an illusion in the nfl" and was heavily promoted on ESPN's front page. MV is right in that it likely was Simmons' "I am totally get suspended for this because ESPN is in NFL's pocket" angle that sealed his fate.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is Goddell worse than Mark Emmert or who whoever runs the IOC?

:iiam:

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I mean I'm guessing there was a whole lot of poo poo internally leading up to the "suspend me" thing that we just don't know about yet.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DOOP posted:

Is Goddell worse than Mark Emmert or who whoever runs the IOC?

:iiam:

I thought the guy that is in charge of F1 was the worst because the cars are literally powered by the blood of babies or something

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Sash! posted:

I thought the guy that is in charge of F1 was the worst because the cars are literally powered by the blood of babies or something
Well he does think that Hitler was an impressive taskmaster who was led astray.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

Well he does think that Hitler was an impressive taskmaster who was led astray.

link?

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie_Ecclestone#Controversies

Bernie Ecclestone. A hell of a man, right there.

Still not as bad as Goodell and Bettman.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

What the hell does this

quote:

she would have to be a woman who was blowing away the boys. ... What I would really like to see happen is to find the right girl, perhaps a black girl with super looks, preferably Jewish or Muslim, who speaks Spanish.

even mean? The best thing for F1 would be a really good woman driver who was a hot black Jew from Spain? That's one hell of a check list.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Badfinger posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie_Ecclestone#Controversies

Bernie Ecclestone. A hell of a man, right there.

Still not as bad as Goodell and Bettman.

i don't think i ever heard a person say hitler was persuaded to do the things he did

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Metapod posted:

i don't think i ever heard a person say hitler was persuaded to do the things he did

The closest you can get to a "persuaded" argument is that Anton Drexler convinced him to get into politics instead of just being some angry guy yelling at people in bars. And that's still pretty far away from what Ecclestone said.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Are you guys seriously making an argument that hitler was actually bad.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

I think he was

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

we are discussing about the F1 chief executive saying that hitler was persuaded to do the things he did which blows my mind that someone can think that way

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
https://twitter.com/ReillyRick/status/606141619973160960

Rick Reilly posted:

Just back from 4 months in Italy. All I wanna do is watch some Letterman, read some Simmons + see how my boy Bruce Jenner is hanging in.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Meh

Giving that attention is really more than it deserves.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The most offensive part is ESPN still paying him enough money to spend 4 months in Italy

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I'm more offended we let him back into the country.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
The Bruce Jenner crack is in the same train of thought that gave us a columnist who wrote about all the sports that happened in the past 18 years using a girl being kept against her will in a basement as a framing device.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It doesn't seem that bad. The joke is that Riley is oblivious, not that he's rejecting her choice. Bad joke, not really a mean one to me.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

hcreight posted:

ESPN also has the tweet in an article linked on their front page, so yeah, I guess this is fair game.

The whole Simmons fiasco basically painted ESPN into a corner. As long as Olbermann doesn't cross into slander/libel, ESPN can't do anything without looking like puppets of the NFL Commissioner's office.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

ChickenMedium posted:

The whole Simmons fiasco basically painted ESPN into a corner. As long as Olbermann doesn't cross into slander/libel, ESPN can't do anything without looking like puppets of the NFL Commissioner's office.

ESPN People were critical of the NFL before Simmons. While I think if Simmons was a baby-man about something else ESPN might have been able to ignore it, they didn't suspend him for attacking the NFL.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

If anything Simmons was late to the "Use Goodell as a piņata" party.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My gut is that they werent going to resign him anyway and didnt want him making (more) of an rear end of himself as his contract came to an end.

It looks very probably to me that they paid him to shut the gently caress up.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I think it's pretty obvious they negotiated a buyout and put a muzzle on him as a term of the agreement.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Rovell might need his own thread because he's his own brand ( :v: ) of lovely

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

morestuff posted:

It doesn't seem that bad. The joke is that Riley is oblivious, not that he's rejecting her choice. Bad joke, not really a mean one to me.

Yea I read it more as 'ha ha he missed a lot of stuff' given the contexts of the other things he said. I don't really know the guy's work so maybe I'm wrong but that seemed like a clumsy joke more than 'gently caress you Jenner'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Spoeank posted:

Rovell might need his own thread because he's his own brand ( :v: ) of lovely

The key to Darren Rovell is not to follow @DarrenRovell, but to follow @RovellReplies only.