Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
They do? Unless you mean the party overall being entirely different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Why do the teams not reroll between matches in ranked

To punish squid for its hubris.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

noirstronaut posted:

They do? Unless you mean the party overall being entirely different.

I just played like five matches in a row against the same sniper rear end in a top hat with a dumb fishing hat, they definitely don't.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I just played like five matches in a row against the same sniper rear end in a top hat with a dumb fishing hat, they definitely don't.

I don't think you understand how random numbers work

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I mean, I've been playing ranked pretty heavily and I've had personal vendettas out of people who would be on my team one match and not the next.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Why do the teams not reroll between matches in ranked

The teams reroll, but the lobby doesn't. It's just luck you were against the same dude 5 times in a row. The odds aren't even that low of that happening.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

noirstronaut posted:

Yeah, I used to rock the vest, but ninja squid + stealth jump is almost too good to be real.

I'm not sure Ninja Squid is as valuable as Cold-Blooded, given that most good teams are going to have Echolocation on, making it trivial to spot someone with Ninja Squid. Cold-Blooded, on the other hand, dodges that bullet, even if you don't get perfect camo as a squid.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i like team shuffling since it lets me take revenge sometimes on the bastards who play the game like call a doot doot and camp while the enemy goes on an inking rampage

theres no taunt button but i have taken to doing a little jumping dance on their grave

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

noirstronaut posted:

I mean, I've been playing ranked pretty heavily and I've had personal vendettas out of people who would be on my team one match and not the next.

I've literally never noticed somebody switch teams but I'll take your word for it.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I've seen plenty of memorable foes show up on my team the next match. They absolutely definitely shuffle between matches.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

TechnoSyndrome posted:

I've literally never noticed somebody switch teams but I'll take your word for it.

FWIW, what I've played of Ranked (not much) was the same 4 lvl 20 dudes teamed up against the same 11-13's three rounds in a row, but I'm sure that can't be the norm.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Nintendo's matchmaking policy is Complete Random. They don't judge you.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Finally got the game, playing on my roommate's WiiU. It feels way more like I'm fighting the controls rather than the other team far too often, but it's still real fun. The music is the absolute tits, too.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

Finally got the game, playing on my roommate's WiiU. It feels way more like I'm fighting the controls rather than the other team far too often, but it's still real fun. The music is the absolute tits, too.

I felt like this for a day and a half. Then it clicked and the tilt controls became loving baller.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

kidcoelacanth posted:

Are you talking about motion controls? They can be turned off.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I've found the motion controls better than the sticks, but I've not had an easy time with either. Time will tell!

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...

kidcoelacanth posted:

I've found the motion controls better than the sticks, but I've not had an easy time with either. Time will tell!

If you're having troubles with the controls, playing the single-player really helped me master them. It gets you really comfortable playing the game in lower-stress situations than online, and also forces you to basically do every type of control/movement at different points. I noticed a significant improvement in how I played after doing the first 12 levels.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Stick controls felt better to me in the testfire and using gyro controls made me feel like a drunken mess, but somehow when I started the full game it felt like the complete opposite and I can't play with stick controls anymore. I still wish they'd let you use both, so you could just use gyros for fine-tune aiming.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

raditts posted:

Stick controls felt better to me in the testfire and using gyro controls made me feel like a drunken mess, but somehow when I started the full game it felt like the complete opposite and I can't play with stick controls anymore. I still wish they'd let you use both, so you could just use gyros for fine-tune aiming.

But it does.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

kidcoelacanth posted:

The best scheme imo is using the right stick with the sensitivity jacked way up for broad turns, and the motion controls for actual aiming.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Maide posted:

If you're having troubles with the controls, playing the single-player really helped me master them. It gets you really comfortable playing the game in lower-stress situations than online, and also forces you to basically do every type of control/movement at different points. I noticed a significant improvement in how I played after doing the first 12 levels.

Same for me. Also, I use gyro most of the time but I end up using the right stick for horizontal camera movement a lot to reorient myself, and at least for me it's nice that it's not also vertical because that's usually what makes me so inept with shooters. The gyro is an awesome alternative. Plus it reminds me of when I would wave around NES controllers when I was 10 as though it would actually make a difference during gameplay, except now it does!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Theta Zero posted:

But it does.

You can't move the camera vertically with the stick when using motion controls. It's a common complaint; among other things it's the primary thing keeping me from using them because not being able to look up and down with the stick feels really bad and throws me off.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Roland Jones posted:

You can't move the camera vertically with the stick when using motion controls. It's a common complaint; among other things it's the primary thing keeping me from using them because not being able to look up and down with the stick feels really bad and throws me off.

Oh. I never noticed because I always just jack up the sensitivity on the camera and just use it for turning around. There's not too much vertical gameplay in Splatoon compared to other shooters, and the areas that have it don't require you to look so dramatically up or down. An option to enable vertical control with the sticks would be nice, though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It took me a day but I'm basically completely down with the gyro controls now.

Which is the opposite of what I expected.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
the squid amiibo challenge stages were pretty cool, sorry non amiibo havers

edit: i have no idea what the last thing you unlock is though, it looked like a weapon but didn't show up in my inventory

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

A Yolo Wizard posted:

edit: i have no idea what the last thing you unlock is though, it looked like a weapon but didn't show up in my inventory

It's probably one of the loading screen minigames.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

It's a blueprint for a weapon. If you visit Ammo Knights, he takes the blueprint and lets you buy it from him as long as you're fresh enough. (So it's basically like the Sunken Scroll blueprints you occasionally find.)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
scroll spoilers

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I finally clawed my way back into a C+. After four separate braindead teams who clustered in the Splat Zone and couldn't understand "What's the whooshing noise, oh it's an Inkstrike and I should ru-:gibs:", along with three disconnects arbitrarily eating my drat points :shepface:.

Seriously though, a disconnect should only eat five points at most instead of the full ten. I know it's to stop people bailing when they're losing, but the simple truth is bad luck's gonna eat them far more often.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Yeah I'm returning this over lunch unless I somehow find a connectivity fix for this game. I really want to like it, but without functioning multiplayer it's a bit of a dead end for me...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

w00tmonger posted:

Yeah I'm returning this over lunch unless I somehow find a connectivity fix for this game. I really want to like it, but without functioning multiplayer it's a bit of a dead end for me...

If you're disconnecting constantly, it's your internet and not the game. Three times in the span of an hour or two's a rarity and the game out to piss me off personally. In-general, the connection's pretty stable

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You should restart your router or try setting up your Wii U's internet connection again from scratch or something

I've played probably 70+ games at this point and had 2 disconnects

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I also wish disconnects were a little less punishing. When I get them, it's usually within the first fifteen seconds of a match. You're running around inking your base, and you notice that ink isn't appearing on the floor, then bam, A Communication Error Has Occurred. I even had one during the pre-match fly-by. It never even got to the point where it announced the teams. Still killed my vibe though.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

You should restart your router or try setting up your Wii U's internet connection again from scratch or something

This helped me. I was disconnecting/failing to connect almost constantly despite my internet seeming to be fine elsewhere. Created a fresh connection in my Wii U settings and disconnects have been much rarer now.

I'm not getting the raving about the aerospray. Maybe I didn't use the right variant, but at least in the few matches I used it felt like it had really horrible reach and took too long to take anyone out, and while it seemed to spread paint nicely, it didn't feel insanely good.

quote:

also wish disconnects were a little less punishing.
I've got DC'd a few times literally after the match end timer finished. On matches my team clearly won and I racked up a lot of points. :smith:

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

Tried the later but not the first technically. I may try and get a wired connection to the thing but it's driving me pretty crazy. No issues elsewhere etc

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

w00tmonger posted:

Tried the later but not the first technically. I may try and get a wired connection to the thing but it's driving me pretty crazy. No issues elsewhere etc

We have a winner. Go get yourself a Wii Lan Adapter. Plugs into one of the USB ports on it and you'll have far fewer connection issues.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This game brings out the worst OCD in me.

I know I generally do best when I grab a blaster or the splattershot jr or the splattershot and I mad rush into enemy territory as soon as the match starts and I kill spat them over and over while inking their side so they don't get much of our side.

But I can't help but switch to the roller and spend a lot of time laying down ink all over our base to make sure ALL of it is covered. Blank spaces are unacceptable.

Everything has to be perfectly painted....

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

We have a winner. Go get yourself a Wii Lan Adapter. Plugs into one of the USB ports on it and you'll have far fewer connection issues.

Trying to find one stocked somewhere locally. I take it only Nintendo's adapter will basically work? There doesn't seem to be one that's wiiu specific so it's a bit hard to find anyone carrying it

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'm gonna double back on what I said before and say I like the rapid blaster more than the regular blaster. The extra range is important and the extra fire rate means its really easy to spam chokepoints. It's awful if you're not holding a position but it's really good if you are. That being said, everything is bad compared to the aerosprays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

w00tmonger posted:

Trying to find one stocked somewhere locally. I take it only Nintendo's adapter will basically work? There doesn't seem to be one that's wiiu specific so it's a bit hard to find anyone carrying it

The one for the Wii works fine.

• Locked thread