Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rascyc posted:

Is it any good excluding the price?

[e]Jesus a 2010 release at $45? No thanks

It's.... ok. As dungeon crawlers go it's serviceable. Given Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy is set to release next week I'll be saving my PSN dollars and wait til it goes on sale or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

2010 in Japan. The game was localized last year.

I enjoyed what I've played of the PSP version last year. I don't know what was changed for the PS3 version but it's filled a nice hole that Etrian Odyssey has been kind of slacking on for a while.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also to whoever asked about the PS3 port of Dragon Age Inquisition, it might be too late but I'd like to post a warning: my uncle got a copy of it the other day and it's actually completely unplayable. The framerate is okay and you can technically play it, but you'll randomly glitch through the floor, sometimes characters just won't load into cutscenes, the font is absurdly small, and one time he was in a random dialogue scene and just slowly sank through the floor until he was in the negative space below the game world, with a 2d sprite of a man in a top hat glaring at him.

It's so absurdly bad that I won't be buying an EA product ever again because I can't believe they allowed something like this to be put out just to trick consumers.

EDIT: Googling also reveals that it has a freezing + save deleting problem.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 3, 2015

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Yeah, I got DA:I on 360, played it for about 3 days then returned it and bought a PS4 on Black Friday because loving hell, it was just terrible. I'm crazy about keeping series like that on the same console but I just gave up then.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

also to whoever asked about the PS3 port of Dragon Age Inquisition, it might be too late but I'd like to post a warning: my uncle got a copy of it the other day and it's actually completely unplayable. The framerate is okay and you can technically play it, but you'll randomly glitch through the floor, sometimes characters just won't load into cutscenes, the font is absurdly small, and one time he was in a random dialogue scene and just slowly sank through the floor until he was in the negative space below the game world, with a 2d sprite of a man in a top hat glaring at him.

It's so absurdly bad that I won't be buying an EA product ever again because I can't believe they allowed something like this to be put out just to trick consumers.

EDIT: Googling also reveals that it has a freezing + save deleting problem.

Bleh. That sucks. I want to play it still, so I guess I'll end up picking up the PC eventually, and deal with playing on the lowest settings until I get a new video card.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

make sure your PC can even run it, the minimum requirements are pretty high.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

apparently the ps4 release of x/x-2 hd has a broken rng and the music resets after each random battle. i am mad.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
that's the kind of hilarious bugs I would expect from a Bethesda game

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

make sure your PC can even run it, the minimum requirements are pretty high.

I'm pretty sure it will be able to. The video card is the only part that doesn't meet the recommended, actually (it meets the minimum).

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

At this point I'm waiting for X/X-2 HD to hit Steam. It's bound to be coming, they just announced Type-0 HD will be on Steam soon.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Erebus posted:

At this point I'm waiting for X/X-2 HD to hit Steam. It's bound to be coming, they just announced Type-0 HD will be on Steam soon.

What happened to Lightning Returns on Steam?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
They just talked about the other day. Basically, "still coming but not for a while".

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

What happened to Lightning Returns on Steam?

Still being worked on apparently but no specific dates have been set.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It takes a while to port it to Android and then get it working in an Android emulator

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Ruggington posted:

The last thing I did in Shadow Hearts Covenant was beat up a wolf wearing glasses who bragged about graduating with top marks from a prestigious wolf academy

this game might be fantastic

The best part? That's nowhere near the silliest Wolf Bout. My vote would go to R3 or Carven.

Really though, SH2 is pretty much perfect in every way. The only aspect that isn't a massive improvement from 1 is the soundtrack, and even then they're about even.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The thing that isn't instantly clear about the wolf bouts is that a bunch of them are mecha show jokes.

In the Japanese version of the game Blanca is voiced by Suichi Ikeda, best known for voicing Char Aznable in Gundam. A lot of the guys he faces are in some way or another mecha show jokes. The easiest to point out are the Black Dog Stars who a direct reference to the Black Tri-Stars also from Gundam

Others are just regular dorky jokes but almost every one of them is some sort of weird reference,.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 4, 2015

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Blanca being Dog Char Anzable is just the cherry on top really.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

The thing that isn't instantly clear about the wolf bouts is that a bunch of them are mecha show jokes.

In the Japanese version of the game Blanca is voiced by Suichi Ikeda, best known for voicing Char Aznable in Gundam. A lot of the guys he faces are in some way or another mecha show jokes. The easiest to point out are the Black Dog Stars who a direct reference to the Black Tri-Stars also from Gundam

Others are just regular dorky jokes but almost every one of them is some sort of weird reference,.

That owns, I'd probably get a few of the references now, no way when I actually played that back in the day though.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Of course the main villain is Rasputin and of course I am now playing as Anastasia

And she's a blue mage

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jun 4, 2015

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im gonna play persona 3 soon, is it one of those games where you can do everything in a run or does it need multiple runs? any other poo poo i should know? im gonna play it on the ps3 if that matters

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

You most likely won't see every social link on a first run so don't stress out about it too much

And The Answer is an epilogue to the main game that was added in the version you're playing. The Answer is bad. Do not play The Answer

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It's possible to do everything in one run but you'll really need a guide to plan exactly what you do each day. For your first run just do what you want and then try and do a 100% run after.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Golden Goat posted:

It's possible to do everything in one run but you'll really need a guide to plan exactly what you do each day. For your first run just do what you want and then try and do a 100% run after.

I haven't tried it with three, but on my second play through on 4 I tried following a guide for max social links and even after following it perfectly it ended up not matching up with the guide so apparently there is even an rng to the social crap. No idea if 3 does the same thing, but it's annoying and I felt better playing it willy nilly.

Until I played for like a hour and half in a dungeon and then got the mc oneshot by some random fuckwad monster and arrgh.

Wait, that was the same reason I stopped my playthrough of p3p. What a terrible game mechanic.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Leper Residue posted:

I haven't tried it with three, but on my second play through on 4 I tried following a guide for max social links and even after following it perfectly it ended up not matching up with the guide so apparently there is even an rng to the social crap. No idea if 3 does the same thing, but it's annoying and I felt better playing it willy nilly.

Think I did the same thing with 4 Golden. The guide was fine until a point and started to veer off. Social Links still have a set timetable though it's stuff like weekend hangouts that feel random.

But yeah play the game how you feel. Like treating the Gourmand King like a piece of poo poo.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
On a NG+ at least it should be extremely hard to not max out everything in P4, especially P4G, unless you are really going out of your way to pick bad answers during S. Link events. The game really goes out of its way to make Links easy to level up especially with the shrine. All bets are off on your first run, of course.

P3:FES is a bit more complicated because of they asinine way it handles some S. Links and how they can and will reverse (every Link has an invisible timer where if you ignore it for a certain period of time it will reverse).

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Haha, I forgot relationships can reverse, god that was annoying. Thank god they got rid of that. Now if they would just get rid of game over when the MC dies.

I've also never played a Persona game NG+ since it's always on a new system when I replay.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Ah, the big thing about the persona series lately, don't feel bad for looking up the answers to the teachers questions and quizzes! I have no idea how we're supposed to know the answers to some of those.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

From what I remember they were mostly about Japanese history and literature so I assume they just translated them directly instead of, say, localising them into something you wouldn't have to look up on Wikipedia.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
My understanding is that all the Japanese history and literature questions were stuff that someone who went to school in Japan might reasonably be expected to know. So they weren't all that easier or harder than the other questions. The translation just decided to half-rear end it though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Oh god, that gives me flashbacks back to Breath of Fire III and that stupid fish sandwich thing you're supposed to make in a mini-game. The German translator apparently had never heard of whatever Japanese crap that was supposed to be, either. Cue me fumbling around for hours, trying to find a way to make that rice-fish thing the correct way.

I was so mad after I accidentally found out how easy the mini-game was. Turns out my ignorance of Japanese food and a lovely German translation just threw me off by a wide margin. :argh:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Libluini posted:

Oh god, that gives me flashbacks back to Breath of Fire III and that stupid fish sandwich thing you're supposed to make in a mini-game. The German translator apparently had never heard of whatever Japanese crap that was supposed to be, either. Cue me fumbling around for hours, trying to find a way to make that rice-fish thing the correct way.

I was so mad after I accidentally found out how easy the mini-game was. Turns out my ignorance of Japanese food and a lovely German translation just threw me off by a wide margin. :argh:

It's sushi. You are making Sushi in BoF3.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I loved (and still do) Star Ocean 2, but I hated Till the End of Time. I found a very cheap copy of the last hope for ps3 so I snagged it on a whim.

I'm currently expected flawed with some interesting parts, so how far off am I?

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 4, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's worse than SO3 so, uh.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Contest Winner posted:

I loved (and still do) Star Ocean 2, but I hated Till the End of Time. I found a very cheap copy of the last hope for ps4 so I snagged it on a whim.

there are no interesting parts

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Having to maintain social links / it being possible to sever them is the main thing keeping me from wanting to play P3 when I finish P4 in the next few weeks.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Ruggington posted:

Of course the main villain is Rasputin and of course I am now playing as Anastasia

And she's a blue mage
That sounds awesome.

Contest Winner posted:

I loved (and still do) Star Ocean 2, but I hated Till the End of Time. I found a very cheap copy of the last hope for ps3 so I snagged it on a whim.

the only part of that game that's interesting is the name of the protagonist.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The correct answer to eating anything in the fridge is "yes", including Nanako's science experiment. Except Nanako's pudding. That would just be mean :colbert:.

Contest Winner posted:

Hahahahahahah. Hooo Boy. You're gonna hurt playing The Last Hope. Keep sharp objects away from where-ever you sit while playing and don't talk to Welch. At all. It's better for your mental health.

edit:

Davincie posted:

im gonna play persona 3 soon, is it one of those games where you can do everything in a run or does it need multiple runs? any other poo poo i should know? im gonna play it on the ps3 if that matters

Okay, big important things;

• If you can kill the Block Guardian for that stretch of Tartarus (ie; you can't progress further for the moment) you're set for the monthly boss and don't need to grind. Use the extra days to go do some Social Links.
  • Mitsuru's S.Link is a bitch to start. You need to come first in at least one of the exams, and that takes a high-enough Academic score on top of getting all five multi-choice questions right. Talk to her after checking your exam scores and if you did well enough you'll also snag a great accessory. Her S.Link won't actually start until later in the game though.
  • Sundays should be saved for the few S.Links that occur on them. There's only one or two, but they're worth doing.
  • Every Social Link girl is gonna fall for you. Unlike Persona 4, there's no "just be friends" option so you're gonna wind up with multiple girlfriends just from doing as many S.Links as possible. Just don't do anything with any of them on a Sunday and you don't run into the chance of getting caught.
  • Yukari is your designated healer for the game and the only one that learns party-wide heal spells.
  • About midway through you'll gain a character with pure Phys moves. They are really worth using, as there are some Shadows who are only Weak to one specific type of Phys attack. Plus they can just lay out some absolute hurt on Bosses late-game.
  • Check the shopping program on the TV in your room every Sunday. You can get some great weapons and armor out of it, or at least a lot of regular items for cheap.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 4, 2015

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Contest Winner posted:

Very the game is irredeemable and will make you appreciate the things Till The End of Time did well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Levantine posted:

It's sushi. You are making Sushi in BoF3.

I know. Today.