Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

prefect posted:

As long as they keep Rick Jones on another continent, there's no reason to think it should go badly.

Also if he listens to Tony Stark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

Pyronic posted:

I was wondering while reading that, but is that a reference to Skurge's last stand?

http://daveslongbox.blogspot.com/2005/05/mighty-thor-362-marvel-comics-1985.html
Gods and Miniguns just go together like peanut butter and chocolate.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah but that's Ares. He probably took to mechanized weaponry like a fish to water.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I like how the sound is one letter off from being an avatar of Peace coming out of a weapon wielded by a deity of War.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Anyone got the panel from Ares' Dark Reign mini where he explains the difference between him and Athena?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Wade Wilson posted:

I like how the sound is one letter off from being an avatar of Peace coming out of a weapon wielded by a deity of War.

Semi-related, here's Wonder Woman firing pistols that shoot hearts.

They are Eros' pistols.

Even less related, an obscure webcomic about a gun that will only harm your true love.
http://alessonislearned.com/index.php?comic=10

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

Anyone got the panel from Ares' Dark Reign mini where he explains the difference between him and Athena?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Is that what the page normally looks like? The sharp text and blurry art is weirding me out something fierce.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Yeah the art is oddly pixelated, like it was scaled up. :shrug:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Those *might* be preview pages where they do, in fact, scale up the art, but put full-sized text.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Endless Mike posted:

Those *might* be preview pages where they do, in fact, scale up the art, but put full-sized text.

I think their digital comics also keep the art and text on separate layers so the art can be low res while the text is crisp.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Convergence: Shazam #2.

Mr. Mind might be my favorite villain.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Convergence: Shazam #2.

Mr. Mind might be my favorite villain.

How can you post this and not the awesome "I'm the one who calls the thunder" scene.

or really just post the entire book from start to finish.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Don't gently caress with Sue
Secret war 3

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Sue was always the most violent one.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Are there any badass (or even interesting) Ultron panels?

I'm pretty unfamiliar with the character and a comics podcast I was listening to was saying how the movie did it all wrong.

Problem is that looking Ultron up just pretty much exclusively finds movie stuff now.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

His introduction in "Ultron Unlimited" is pretty excellent and is almost certainly what most deep fans were thinking of when they were thinking of how movie Ultron wasn't scary or threatening enough.

It's a very good moment but due to availability, funds, and time I only got around to reading the full story of "Ultron Unleashed" last year and found it doesn't hold up that well overall. You can see a lot of Busiek's very "Back to basics Bronze Age sensibilities to get over the Dark Age and Marvel Bankruptcy hangover" on display and combined with George Perez's extremely detailed art it creates a density that is uniquely superhero comic, but also cram-packed with the lesser aspects of the same.

A moment like that would have translated well to the screen, but given how the rest of the movie sets up Ultron as this more intimate villain it also would have been a bit.... much given how Marvel is clearly going for an all-audiences approach. The movie definitely could have made Ultron nastier though, they did drop the ball on that.

E-- Not "Unleashed", "Unlimited." Edited now that I found the images.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jun 4, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ultron always came across to me as a child having a permanent tantrum, and his frozen screaming scowl made me imagine him voiced by Cobra Commander, so his soothing movie voice certain came across as strange.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

bobkatt013 posted:

Don't gently caress with Sue
Secret war 3

poo poo I might have to actually read this.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

robziel posted:

poo poo I might have to actually read this.

Most of it has been surprisingly excellent but I saw in a scan that they show Doom's face. I really don't care if this is "the end" of the 616 as we've known it and it's time to slaughter sacred cows but that's a cow that's been sacred over twice as long as I've been alive... it's hard not to feel a sense of "who the gently caress do you think you are?"

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jonathan Hickman: "I'm Jonathan Hickman."

If anyone from the last 30 years deserves to drop that curtain, at the end of the univers(es), it's that guy.

e: And read the G.D. comic. You don't pick up much context, emotion, catharsis and all that storytelling stuff in a scan.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 4, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
SW#3: Um, they've shown his face plenty of times before this. And it's clearly a thematic point, because Doom is literally a living God in Battleworld. He could've fixed his face but somehow can't, much like the world he's created looks fine on the surface, but is unsustainable underneath, what with the Cabal and the Avengers showing up, and 616 Reed's reaction being almost literally "WHAT THE gently caress?!"

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Doom's face was literally the plot point used to resolve the conflict in the original Secret Wars, why would you not mention it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

SW#3: Um, they've shown his face plenty of times before this. And it's clearly a thematic point, because Doom is literally a living God in Battleworld. He could've fixed his face but somehow can't, much like the world he's created looks fine on the surface, but is unsustainable underneath, what with the Cabal and the Avengers showing up, and 616 Reed's reaction being almost literally "WHAT THE gently caress?!"

They've only done it in situations where it was magically repaired.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

Most of it has been surprisingly excellent but I saw in a scan that they show Doom's face. I really don't care if this is "the end" of the 616 as we've known it and it's time to slaughter sacred cows but that's a cow that's been sacred over twice as long as I've been alive... it's hard not to feel a sense of "who the gently caress do you think you are?"
Wasn't his face shown in Children's Crusade?

Mr. Maltose posted:

Doom's face was literally the plot point used to resolve the conflict in the original Secret Wars, why would you not mention it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

They've only done it in situations where it was magically repaired.

Ding ding ding ding.

Leaving up the mystery of whether or not Doom's face was actually super-duper scarred from the accident, not scarred much at all but hidden from the world because of Doom's vanity, or super-duper scarred from Doom shoving a white-hot mask on his face because he thought the scar was that bad was actually a pretty nice "Schrodinger's Characterization" beat that's held up for a very long time. Not seeing Charlie or Dr. Klaw's face are similar pulpy examples of a character being strengthened precisely because there's not full transparency about their appearance.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Jonathan Hickman: "I'm Jonathan Hickman."

If anyone from the last 30 years deserves to drop that curtain, at the end of the univers(es), it's that guy.

e: And read the G.D. comic. You don't pick up much context, emotion, catharsis and all that storytelling stuff in a scan.

It ain't about whether or not someone deserves to or not, it's whether or not it should be done by anyone. "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should." Even if the moment plays beautifully in context that doesn't mean I have to endorse it on a conceptual level. Red Son's climax works really well and I still think it's dumb as gently caress.

I'm really not fanboy-ing out here like it's some transgression that's put me off of Secret Wars and Marvel and Jonathan Hickman forever. It's a plotting decision I happen to disagree with and I've outlined why. A voice of dissent doesn't owe anyone anything more than that and it doesn't mean someone poo poo in the punch bowl.

redbackground posted:

Wasn't his face shown in Children's Crusade?

Very possibly. I'm not a thorough expert and haven't read that series. If they did show Doom's "true" face there then it was a bad idea there too, for the reasons I've outlined.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Didn't mean to make you angry, bud.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I wasn't mad, I was making good points and anticipating you being an rear end about it.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Lurdiak posted:

Ultron always came across to me as a child having a permanent tantrum, and his frozen screaming scowl made me imagine him voiced by Cobra Commander, so his soothing movie voice certain came across as strange.

This is how I imagine Annihilus, I always pictured Ultron as more of a SINISTAR.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Majuju posted:

This is how I imagine Annihilus, I always pictured Ultron as more of a SINISTAR.

Ultron is a robot version of Annihilus. Annihilus is a space bug version of Ultron. Molecular rearranger == cosmic control rod.

I imagine them both as very screamy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Didn't they show Dr. Doom's face when he got Ant-Manned recently too? Or am I misremembering it and they just obscured it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Didn't they show Dr. Doom's face when he got Ant-Manned recently too? Or am I misremembering it and they just obscured it.

He was healed then too

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

A voice of dissent doesn't owe anyone anything more than that and it doesn't mean someone poo poo in the punch bowl.

Try telling that to the SW thread...

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Doom was shown unmasked in the Mike Wieringo tribute issue of What If. There was also a Secret Invasion ad that showed Doom removing his mask to show he's a Skrull. It doesn't really "count," but it was pretty graphic in how badly his actual face is supposed to look (only green), so it kind of does.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I'm pretty sure the reveal wasn't about how Doom couldn't unfuck up his face but about how he had actually made it worse with subconscious god-powers. It's not actually what Doom looks like it's what he thinks he does.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Doom's face became unfucked in Fraction's FF run, where this also happened

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Four Score posted:

Doom's face became unfucked in Fraction's FF run, where this also happened

And then Hickman had Living Tribunal's corpse just randomly show up in Avengers. I doubt this pronouncement holds.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

And then Hickman had Living Tribunal's corpse just randomly show up in Avengers. I doubt this pronouncement holds.

Then showed its death in New Avengers 30

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Then showed its death in New Avengers 30

I'm sure that's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sure that's true.

I don't know what you're trying to say but panels for the panel thread

(I probably butchered the order and am missing a page, but I couldn't find my copy to reference)