Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I've finally had enough downtime to notice lack of PC since last thursday and that means it's time to fire down some fields. Not sure who to tackle this time - Koreans, Vietnamese or Krauts? Please tell me, dear goons.

Posted from my SCR536

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Lichtenstein posted:

I've finally had enough downtime to notice lack of PC since last thursday and that means it's time to fire down some fields. Not sure who to tackle this time - Koreans, Vietnamese or Krauts? Please tell me, dear goons.

Posted from my SCR536

Vietnamese are a total pain in the rear end and super hard.

...play that!

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003
Anyone familiar enough with the rules of Unconditional Surrender: Case Blue to help with a supply question?

Does the Soviet 37th Infantry's zone of control into hex 3154 block supply to the German 1st Panzer and 17th Infantry in Rostov? The rules seem to indicate that enemy zone of control does block supply when tracing a line 'to' a transport line, but not whether it can break that transport line.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The units in Rostov are indeed out of supply. I'm using the Unconditional Surrender rules (and not the Case Blue, so I dunno if they are changed), but any EZOC block land line traces and that includes transport lines.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

The units in Rostov are indeed out of supply. I'm using the Unconditional Surrender rules (and not the Case Blue, so I dunno if they are changed), but any EZOC block land line traces and that includes transport lines.

IIRC, the infantry units are in supply because there is a supply line within two hexes of them. I could be misremembering that.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

IIRC, the infantry units are in supply because there is a supply line within two hexes of them. I could be misremembering that.
Which infantry units? As in stands, all soviet units are in supply, 1 Pz is out of supply (it can't trace through 3154 and the alternative route to the SW -> W -> NW is three hexes and therefore too long. The infantry unit in Rostov itself is OOS for similar reasons.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

Which infantry units? As in stands, all soviet units are in supply, 1 Pz is out of supply (it can't trace through 3154 and the alternative route to the SW -> W -> NW is three hexes and therefore too long. The infantry unit in Rostov itself is OOS for similar reasons.

Whoops, I was looking at the wrong units. As you were!

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Picked up Julius Caesar (The Block Wargame) and Great Battles of Alexander from UK Games Expo. So excited to play these. Stupid goddamn medical exams.

Then, there's Empire of the Sun.... and Beyondd the Rhine... bring on the summer of wargaming ! :p

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

tomdidiot posted:

Picked up Julius Caesar (The Block Wargame) and Great Battles of Alexander from UK Games Expo. So excited to play these. Stupid goddamn medical exams.

Then, there's Empire of the Sun.... and Beyondd the Rhine... bring on the summer of wargaming ! :p
Just hurry up and kill someone so that you can get kicked out and we can play together.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Tekopo posted:

Just hurry up and kill someone so that you can get kicked out and we can play together.

I need an income or the government would kick me out for being a feelthy eeemeegrunt.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

Tekopo posted:

I don't believe there's any rules differences between USE and USCB so I think you're right then. This is just a solo game against myself and was the last turn before bed last night. After work tonight I'll have to see if the Romanian's have any production points left so I can activate that unit and move it in to close the gap.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
My wife is out of town for the weekend so I decided to get some calandale type action going

:rolldice::respek::hitler:

we'll see how far I get.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

No pipe, 0/10

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Please make a reverent 45 minute video about your ex who you enjoyed playing MTG with and cry during it, then it will be peak Calandale.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

COOL CORN posted:

Please make a reverent 45 minute video about your ex who you enjoyed playing MTG with and cry during it, then it will be peak Calandale.

wait - what? WHen did he do this?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So I haven't really bought a war game since Christmas and I've been bitten by the bug once again and am about to go on a spree of wargame buying, which is spurred by my recently having a regular war gaming partner. So I'm planning on finishing out the World at War collection as well as some other games from Lock 'N Load Publishing but those are sort of things to buy as the year goes on, right now is going to be a big GMT push so I'm thinking of picking these up and I was wondering what the thread thinks of them and if I should pass on them in favor of other games.

-Bloody April 1917 : The Air War Over Arras France
-1989 Dawn of Freedom (I love Twilight Struggle and have played 1989 twice in the past so I'm willing to give it another go)
-PQ-17
-Reds!
-The Hunters
-Bomber Commans
-Nightfighter
-Enemy Coast Ahead
-Sekigahara (which while it looks like it's out of print right now and hopefully will find a printing for less than the 90 bucks someone is asking for on ebay
-The Kaiser's Pirates (which seems to be out of print as well but I will see if I can find it.
-Next War Korea
-Next War Taiwan
Normandy '44
-Crown of Roses
-Roads to Moscow
-Churchill (which is soon to come out I believe)
-Virgin Queen
-For The People

I was also thinking about Triumph and Tragedy when that comes, and I've got a P500 order in for Falling Sky and may do one for Liberty or Death. So these are a lot of games and far beyond me to afford in on go So I was thinking of starting with Enemy Coast Ahead, PQ-17 and The Hunters.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

tomdidiot posted:

wait - what? WHen did he do this?

https://youtu.be/1W0V1qc-rfE

It's glorious.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Total cost: $30 :c00lbert:

Would anyone be able to teach Empire of the Sun in hour or so bursts during EST afternoons? I work nights most of the week.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
My envy is sizeable.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

What, why would he post that?

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
In Guns of Gettysburg, can blocks slide sideways, moving laterally to the next position over?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

In Guns of Gettysburg, can blocks slide sideways, moving laterally to the next position over?
I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but I don't think they can, unless they move to the location in between first. It's kind of hard to explain without a diagram.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Ropes4u posted:

The Calandale works in mysterious ways.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

Yeah, you can't; as Tekopo said, you can move through the area behind or in front pivoting, and then again pivoting.

In essence, all moves must go first into the piece's front or back area; given that restriction, in order to "move laterally", you in essence need to pivot around that point, going either backwards or forwards, until you get to the lateral position you want.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

And of course, you can't do that if you are in contact with the enemies unless you have a retreat order.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tekopo posted:

And of course, you can't do that if you are in contact with the enemies unless you have a retreat order.

Well yeah, unless you're attacking!!

Actually, you can pivot, assuming you're not in a FoF, but you are in a pivot contact with an enemy, as long as you're under attack orders.

Ah, exceptions.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Traditional Games › Wargames Thread - It's kind of hard to explain without a diagram.

I played my first game of Cuba Libre yesterday, with 3 other new players (owner had played it once before). The learning curve is more of a learning wall, because reading the table state required knowing what ALL the factions could do, but we quite enjoyed it. The Government player was little annoyed at becoming more and more irrelevant as the game went on, because her alliance with the US deteriorated pretty quickly, but even her was willing to give the game another shot.

And now for something completely different: anyone knows how to modify a Vassal module so I can swap one background for another? I'm looking at the horrible background in FoF module, if that's any help.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Fat Samurai posted:

And now for something completely different: anyone knows how to modify a Vassal module so I can swap one background for another? I'm looking at the horrible background in FoF module, if that's any help.
I had to deal with this exact problem. You can open the .vmod file by renaming it to .zip - there's a background image in there something. Just open it in whatever image editing program, throw a few blurs on it, zip it back up, rename as .vmod again.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks, I was trying to change one file for another, but Vassal didn't like the end result.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

Traditional Games › Wargames Thread - It's kind of hard to explain without a diagram.

I played my first game of Cuba Libre yesterday, with 3 other new players (owner had played it once before). The learning curve is more of a learning wall, because reading the table state required knowing what ALL the factions could do, but we quite enjoyed it. The Government player was little annoyed at becoming more and more irrelevant as the game went on, because her alliance with the US deteriorated pretty quickly, but even her was willing to give the game another shot.

Usually the one who plays as the government is the one with the most experience / has actually read the rulebook because you'll probably lose and you have the hardest time trying to figure out how to play well.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Fat Samurai posted:

The learning curve is more of a learning wall, because reading the table state required knowing what ALL the factions could do, but we quite enjoyed

Try FiTL :getin:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Ithle01 posted:

Usually the one who plays as the government is the one with the most experience / has actually read the rulebook because you'll probably lose and you have the hardest time trying to figure out how to play well.

We all read the rulebook, who do you take us for, some kind of bloody casuals? :v:

Noticing that it was vital for the Government to build Bases outside cities was trickier, though. I could march my guerillas all over the place without any interference.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Government can win even in the end game, but they need to realise one thing: in order to win, they need to just control all of the cities and a single 2 value province at active support. So the ideal strategy is that you control all the cities (for 16 support total) and then either Las Villas or Oriente (the only 2 pop provinces), for 4 support. Everything else can be completely forgotten about.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

We all read the rulebook, who do you take us for, some kind of bloody casuals? :v:

Noticing that it was vital for the Government to build Bases outside cities was trickier, though. I could march my guerillas all over the place without any interference.

You have no idea how envious I am right now.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Ropes4u posted:

He's insane.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I've never really been someone who plays wargames or strategy games, but some friends of mine wanted to try out an online Risk-like called WarLight. I make it through some of the easier single-player scenarios, but my two attempts at multiplayer or harder single-player with AI scenarios have gotten me solidly stomped. What can I do to get better at playing and/or should I play something else instead for 'stupid newbie'-tier?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It really depends on how the game is set up: learning rules for wargames is a skill that is transferable between one wargame and the other, but actually being good at a specific wargame is not transferable beyond having a basic grasp of strategy/tactics. The biggest example for me is that most of my skill at high level operational games isn't transferable when I play something like OCS.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Hey finally going to be trying out Fire in the Lake for the first time tomorrow; any particular factions certain types of players should play? How does each one feel over the course of the game? (All I've played is the tutorial in the manual).

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

For the NVA, stress the need for bases in Laos/Cambodia. If they don't have 100% of their bases out for the first moves, it will cripple their economy for the rest of the game. And it all needs to be in Laos/Cambodia, save maybe one or two, because you only generate resources through non Vietnamese bases.

The VC should really focus on securing areas without support for the first part of the game, then expanding to areas where they can decrease support.

The COIN factions have a bit more freedom in strategy from what I've seen in play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Lord Frisk posted:

For the NVA, stress the need for bases in Laos/Cambodia. If they don't have 100% of their bases out for the first moves, it will cripple their economy for the rest of the game. And it all needs to be in Laos/Cambodia, save maybe one or two, because you only generate resources through non Vietnamese bases.

The VC should really focus on securing areas without support for the first part of the game, then expanding to areas where they can decrease support.

The COIN factions have a bit more freedom in strategy from what I've seen in play.

Also tell them to be patient and not try to make home run hits with the NVA right away- it's much more difficult for the US to deal with a multi-space incursion than a huge push and you do that a little bit at a time.