Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

DQ8 3DS doesn't support 3D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Was Explorers any good? I was kind of interested in it until I realized it was just a Monster Hunter clone with some remarkably bad slowdown.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
So I've just started getting my DQ3 characters to 20 (immediately changed my Gadabout to Sage), what are good classes to change them to? Currently Hero/Martial Artist/Sage/Priest.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Martial Artists are the best all around due to their crit rates, as I recall. If you want to do the postgame content, you'll want to pay attention to personalities and how they relate to stat growth.

That said, I raised my mage and priest to learn all their main class spells before I changed them both to sages to learn the other side's spells.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

kirbysuperstar posted:

So I've just started getting my DQ3 characters to 20 (immediately changed my Gadabout to Sage), what are good classes to change them to? Currently Hero/Martial Artist/Sage/Priest.

Use the book of Satori to turn your Priest in to a sage too (I'm guessing Gadabout is the mobile's name for goof-off? Otherwise never mind) because there's literally no reason not to have 2 sages if you leveled a goof-off to 20.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Evil Fluffy posted:

Use the book of Satori to turn your Priest in to a sage too (I'm guessing Gadabout is the mobile's name for goof-off? Otherwise never mind) because there's literally no reason not to have 2 sages if you leveled a goof-off to 20.

It is, Gadabout is Goof-Off. On that note, the Book of Satori is now called Words of Wisdom, so that's what you want to get and use.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Japanese DQ players have it so easy. They can refer to the same spells, character names, and items, from game to game, and from remake to remake. I hate having to distinguish Hurt, Firebal, or Frizz.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The spell names we had for 2-4 should've never been changed and had far more appeal than SE's lovely homogenization that's little different than how they setup -ra -ga -ja in place of 2, 3, and 4 on spell names.

Blizzard? Snowstorm? Ice Spears? Nah let's call that stuff Kakrackle, Krackle, and Kakrack! :downs:
(I don't care if I got the new names wrong for those 3 spells)

e: The only upside is that it sounds like spells created by a Snoop Dogg wizard. Cast Kasizzle and Drizzle :snoop:

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I hate the later spell names in both DQ and FF. There was just no reason at all to change them.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

It honestly doesn't bother me inconsistency aside, the worst offender being FF14 1.x using ra/ga/ja and 2.x using numerical.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I just want to be able to have a conversation with another DQ fan without having to distinguish Cristo from Kiryl depending on which version of the game each of us played.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Hokuto posted:

Japanese DQ players have it so easy. They can refer to the same spells, character names, and items, from game to game, and from remake to remake. I hate having to distinguish Hurt, Firebal, or Frizz.

Counter-point: Japanese DQ players never had a spell called Hurtmore.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The new spell names are good, the old ones are poo poo.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Don't get me wrong, I'm not even complaining about the relative merits of one name vs. another. It's just nice being able to say "Mera" and have it be Mera from one game to another instead of having to figure out which game your friend played and look up what it was called in that one.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Genocyber posted:

The new spell names are good, the old ones are poo poo.

Counter-point: Hurtmore

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Having fairly recently played through DQ1 (the original NES one), I still wish that they would have had a spell between Hurt(more) and Heal(more). Maybe the NES version was pinched for cartridge space, but the remakes were crying out for Heal/Healmore/Healmost and Hurt/Hurtmore/Hurtmost (with the former "Mores" becoming "Mosts"). I would have liked to have seen a buff on Hurtmore as well, perhaps even level scaling, because it is very handy as a nuke when first acquired but becomes obsolete if you level a bit. No point in spending mana to do X damage when you can use a free melee attack that also does X damage. It takes too long to get Healmore, but it is very useful right up to the level cap.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Kiggles posted:

Counter-point: Japanese DQ players never had a spell called Hurtmore.

Nothing describes the early age of gaming quite like DQ1's spells. :allears:

I'd still take HealUsAll over Omniheal in a heartbeat as well. Same with Bikill.

JustJeff88 posted:

Having fairly recently played through DQ1 (the original NES one), I still wish that they would have had a spell between Hurt(more) and Heal(more). Maybe the NES version was pinched for cartridge space, but the remakes were crying out for Heal/Healmore/Healmost and Hurt/Hurtmore/Hurtmost (with the former "Mores" becoming "Mosts"). I would have liked to have seen a buff on Hurtmore as well, perhaps even level scaling, because it is very handy as a nuke when first acquired but becomes obsolete if you level a bit. No point in spending mana to do X damage when you can use a free melee attack that also does X damage. It takes too long to get Healmore, but it is very useful right up to the level cap.

Unless you're at/near max level Hurtmore is better damage against Rainbow Dragon than attacking.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The second Orochi fight needs to gently caress off with this "Fire Breath twice in one round" poo poo.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Meh, I wish they would come out with a new title or another monsters game on the 3ds instead of remaking DQ8. If I had to play any DQ game again, I think 8 would be the last on my list, despite only playing it once. It was out of place as a DQ game. I think SQE might be facing similar directional conflicts to the ones that Konami are facing right now, which has me seriously concerned for the future of the series.

Side note: Just realized that the respective "worst" games in both FF and DQ are 2 and 8.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

kirbysuperstar posted:

The second Orochi fight needs to gently caress off with this "Fire Breath twice in one round" poo poo.

What level are your characters?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Fenrir posted:

What level are your characters?

Hero/MA are 20, two sages at about 13. The first battle was a little lengthy, but I didn't really have any trouble with it, but that double Fire Breath seems way more common this time.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

BabyRyoga posted:

Side note: Just realized that the respective "worst" games in both FF and DQ are 2 and 8.

No game with Yangus can be the worst of anything. And you're also wrong about FF. :colbert:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

DQ 8 owns hard. It's slower than most but man it's so chill overall

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Eight is real good.

I would say 2 is the worst because holy crap is that absolutely-mandatory one tile island a dick move. I know you get told about it but it's trivially easy to miss.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

DQ2 is actually one of my favorites. I'd say 1 is the worst because it's pretty small and the original version really aged badly. STAIR

Although the worst among the main series DQ games is still good. They're all pretty strong, and I could actually say that 9 might be one of the weaker ones.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Luceo posted:

No game with Yangus can be the worst of anything. And you're also wrong about FF. :colbert:

The 8's are at the least, the most different for both as far as the core gameplay goes; one is a game that revolves around a junction system that is extremely broken and offers very little substance, the other is a game that revolves mainly around charging up your power to unleash a big attack or heal and hoping or counteracting things that would otherwise diffuse your power level. Both 8's seem to be love/hates and end up on the bottom of a lot of lists due to that.

The 2's on the other hand both suffer from being sandwiched between the all-time classic series opener, and the much vaster, greater 3 I guess. FF2 is the only main series FF game I never played all the way through (not including sequel titles), and DQ2 has always been my least favorite, assuming you won't rate the originals lower for offering less based on the fact that they are the series openers.

None of them are bad games, of course. There just has to be a "worst".

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 4, 2015

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
The charge up mechanic in 8 can be completely ignored. Yeah it's nice if you can get someone up to 50 or 100 tension, but dropping unboosted Kafrizzles, Kazaps and Gigaslashes works just as well as it did in other dragon quest games.

I think you're almost on your own as far as disliking 8 goes. Most people seem to really like it even if it's not their favorite. 9 seems to be much more divisive.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

At the very least I think we can agree that DQ8 had some really great music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg236zrHA40

Vakal
May 11, 2008

dude789 posted:

I think you're almost on your own as far as disliking 8 goes. Most people seem to really like it even if it's not their favorite. 9 seems to be much more divisive.

I just wish DQ8 had more optional side content to break up the main quest string. All it has is the monster arena which is kind of basic and doesn't really have much for rewards.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Skeezy posted:

At the very least I think we can agree that DQ8 had some really great music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg236zrHA40

I think all DQ games have had more or less the same quality of music. Koichi Sugiyama's music is consistent on many levels, which is both pleasant, and a little boring.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

BabyRyoga posted:

I think all DQ games have had more or less the same quality of music. Koichi Sugiyama's music is consistent on many levels, which is both pleasant, and a little boring.

DQ music always puts me to sleep. I say this actually in a nice way. It's very relaxing.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The town theme from DQIV drilled a tiny hole into my brain many long years ago and it's still in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERcWu78xlws

(Sorry, I can't figure out how to embed on mobile)

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 4, 2015

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
When I played DQ8 I thought it was going to be the last DQ or at least the last in the classic style. I was totally ok with that because it was a masterpiece and would have been the perfect send-off for the series. Then they went and made 9 and instead the series ended on a pretty weak note. I'm sure there will be more DQ games but who knows if they'll be like the others and I doubt they'll ever come out here anyway.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

YggiDee posted:

The town theme from DQIV drilled a tiny hole into my brain many long years ago and it's still in there.

It's funny, I'm the same way. I whistle a lot while working, and most of the time I don't even realize. When I do, a lot of the time it is this theme that I realize I am whistling.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

YggiDee posted:

Wow, you're in my brain apparently. For some reason that's the most memorable piece of music from any of the games for me. Maybe it was all those hours playing as Taloon in the shop.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Hero/MA are 20, two sages at about 13. The first battle was a little lengthy, but I didn't really have any trouble with it, but that double Fire Breath seems way more common this time.

You're underleveled for the fight so unless your gear's really nice (doubtful) you're fighting an uphill battle.

Luceo posted:

Although the worst among the main series DQ games is still good. They're all pretty strong, and I could actually say that 9 might be one of the weaker ones.

DQ9 added a co-op system I've wanted in RPGs ever since I first started playing them and it'd be criminal for that co-op system to not see more use.

SlimeSanction
Oct 21, 2008
The Square Enix store currently has Dragon Quest Heroes for preorder. They also have a limited edition version that comes with a Slime plush, lanyard, keychain and Slime armor in the game for $99.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Could you link it? I can't actually find it on the store website.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Hokuto posted:

Could you link it? I can't actually find it on the store website.

https://store.na.square-enix.com/product/285007/dragon-quest-heroes-the-world-tree-s-woe-and-the-blight-below-slime-collectors-edition-ps4

Gooreat Sword is kind of a stinker, but Goopid's Bow and Splat o'Nine Tails are quality pun work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Thank you! Agreed on the weapon names.