Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Hopefully Toho has someone with a whip and a large supply of anti-depressants.

Anno: No! This is crazy! I can't do this!

Toho Exec: Then we'll just have to find someone who can.

*medical bed is rolled into the director's office*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

When I start to type type "done" my phone starts suggesting dota and one of these days I'm gonna screw up the done meme and look like a clown!!!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omLgv9lJ9jE

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

The problem with any American version of Godzilla is that American studios are way too worried about how good their special effects look, to the point where all the scenes involving Godzilla are super tight shots of cgi skin, or 80% darkness so you can't see any of the action with real clarity, so everyone just looks extremely boring. The Japanese studios are determined to use practical effects forever because that's the always been the history and focus, which is way cooler. Give me dudes in rubber suits destroying models any day of the week.

I liked how they shot godzilla from a low angle almost entirely in the new godzilla, it was cool to see them play with a sense of how big the big monsters are, because the big monsters are big.

the bit on the train trestle is one of my favorite scenes in a monster movie for that reason, that was cool.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

i also liked how slow it was paced, because i like slow movies a lot

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

theres a lot i liked about it, and id go so far to say it was good!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

it's probably the worst movie I've ever seen in a movie theatre and I QQ'd hard about it when I saw it

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

you all owe me big double apologies when the new one comes out and king ghidorah is in it and it rules like whoah

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The American Godzilla made me buttsalty and care mad.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I think it's cool that Gareth Edwards has gone from making indie movies about monsters loving to blockbusters about monsters loving.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

theres a lot i liked about it, and id go so far to say it was good!!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

whats your favorite godzilla monster thats not godzilla

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I went to see Batman & Robin at the cinema, I've yet to see anything worse than that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

Hedorah aka The Smog Monster

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh wait, maybe Sucker Punch.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

i also saw it in a big double imax so when godzilla roared the foundation started shaking

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

Man.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Gigan, because he's loving cool.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

I went to see Batman & Robin at the cinema, I've yet to see anything worse than that.
I'm sure I've seen worse a child but Silent Hill is what comes to mind when I think of disappointing theater experiences.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

YOURE ALL WRONG BECAUSE ITS KING GHIDORAH

HES THE KING

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

it's probably the worst movie I've ever seen in a movie theatre and I QQ'd hard about it when I saw it
Always stay gooned, yikes.

Sharkopath posted:

i also saw it in a big double imax so when godzilla roared the foundation started shaking
sup imax buddies. on the sound scale I would say new godzilla in imax had "bowel-loosening sound"

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGuy0CQwBVg

king ghidorah doesnt need to roar because hes the king, so he just chirps and laughs at you instead

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sharkopath posted:

YOURE ALL WRONG BECAUSE ITS KING GHIDORAH

HES THE KING

He's my favourite too and the 1991 Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah is probably my favourite Gojira movie

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the zilla movie called like ALL MONSTERS ATTACK or something was sweet and was like a royal rumble PPV but with Toho properties

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nate RFB posted:

I'm sure I've seen worse a child but Silent Hill is what comes to mind when I think of disappointing theater experiences.

I hope you never saw the second Silent Hill movie then.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
pterodactyl guy is like "gently caress IT I'M OUT"

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

the zilla movie called like ALL MONSTERS ATTACK or something was sweet and was like a royal rumble PPV but with Toho properties

Godzilla, Minilla, and Gabara: All Monsters Attack or Destroy All Monsters bc they both have that plot

Godzilla:Final Wars is like a Godzilla fighting tournament and features American Godzilla getting owned by Japanese Godzilla in 30 seconds and then all the scientists make fun of him

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Captain Invictus posted:

pterodactyl guy is like "gently caress IT I'M OUT"

Rodan's attacks consist of 'flies really fast' and ?????

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ghidora is sweet, but it's also the turning point for me with the gojira movies because after that point people stop mattering in the stories. Before then it was always humans trying to exploit science or strip resources from something that caused a big monster to show up and punish them, but then King Ghidora flies in from space and it's just monsters fighting each other forever. Still cool, but just a different tone after that

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm on my phone and can't do it, but pretend I posted all the heisei godzilla posters because they are all amazing.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

Godzilla, Minilla, and Gabara: All Monsters Attack or Destroy All Monsters bc they both have that plot

Godzilla:Final Wars is like a Godzilla fighting tournament and features American Godzilla getting owned by Japanese Godzilla in 30 seconds and then all the scientists make fun of him

Upon review I was thinking of Destroy All Monsters

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Which is the one that has like Mecha-Ghidora or something crazy.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

They all have such beautiful eyes.

Also best non-Godzilla Godzilla monster was obviously Mecha Godzilla, the closest thing to Godzilla. Unless Space Godzilla is a valid option. Destroyah is pretty rad, too. So many good monsters in the Godzilla canon!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ghidora is sweet, but it's also the turning point for me with the gojira movies because after that point people stop mattering in the stories. Before then it was always humans trying to exploit science or strip resources from something that caused a big monster to show up and punish them, but then King Ghidora flies in from space and it's just monsters fighting each other forever. Still cool, but just a different tone after that

I dunno, the plots after that are more 'aliens try to use monsters to take over the world' or something.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sakurazuka posted:

I hope you never saw the second Silent Hill movie then.

The second Silent Hill movie finally made Pyramid Head into what he should've been from the very beginning; a gritty anti-hero who saves the quirky teen girl from monsters.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I have only seen the Ishiro Honda productions and Godzilla vs Hedora, someday I will watch every Toho kaiju movie

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

thats where MECHA KING GHIDORAH comes in

a lady pilots him

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nate RFB posted:

Which is the one that has like Mecha-Ghidora or something crazy.

Sakurazuka posted:

He's my favourite too and the 1991 Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah is probably my favourite Gojira movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
'Zilla lmao

• Locked thread