Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Rephrase your question. How do you define "just"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ElCondemn posted:

I think it's unlikely lethal force is necessary in most cases, but I can appreciate that I can't think of every scenario. It's certainly never justified to kill someone who was not a threat, even if you're scared.

Yeah, I get that internet arguing means "never concede anything!" but my point is that nobody is really saying, "nope, just let the perp rape and murder your whole family, sorry!" That means the argument is something like this:

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

ElCondemn posted:

You have to be a literal sociopath to see an innocent person be killed and incredulously respond "it was a mistake, he was scared, accidents happen. "

Wow I missed this gem, actually you just have to have some notion of what its like to have your life threatened.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

ElCondemn posted:

I think it's unlikely lethal force is necessary in most cases, but I can appreciate that I can't think of every scenario. It's certainly never justified to kill someone who was not a threat, even if you're scared.

Clearly we need to ban guns and issue crystal balls.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

ActusRhesus posted:

It's justified if the victim was objectively bad, the defendant was objectively good, and the victim absolutely unquestionably would have murdered the defendant as decided later... With the benefit of hindsight... By an Internet forum.

Duh.

You just described trials as if it were a ridiculous concept. The whole point is to analyze the situation and pass judgment after the fact.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

blarzgh posted:

Yeah, I get that internet arguing means "never concede anything!" but my point is that nobody is really saying, "nope, just let the perp rape and murder your whole family, sorry!" That means the argument is something like this:

No condemn is arguing you have the right to run away or resist with non-lethal force.

Or I guess he's changed that to you're not allowed to resist with lethal force with a lethal weapon, but maybe sometimes lethal force with non-lethal weapons is okay.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

ElCondemn posted:

You just described trials as if it were a ridiculous concept. The whole point is to analyze the situation and pass judgment after the fact.

Based on information the defendant reasonably knew at the time. You keep ignoring that bit.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

ElCondemn posted:

Trials pass judgement based on what is known to the defendant at the time of the act.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mens_rea

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Jarmak posted:

Do you think its just to put people in jail for actions they reasonably believed to be just at time they took them?.

I think it's just to expect people taking deadly action to be held responsible for those actions when they make a mistake.

I think intent is important in a criminal trial, but I also wouldn't let a bad driver keep driving just because they weren't drunk at the wheel when they ran over a bus load of school kids.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Thats why it was so dumb to say "I don't care what the law actually is!" because your baseline for change is the status quo. One of the points Actus is making is that the internet's understanding of reality is:

But is actually closer to:

Laws aren't made to produce numerical results; they're designed to reflect the will of the people. Self defense laws are designed to reflect what society feels should be a justification for killing. If you disagree with the way the law is written or enforced, then here is the question:

"How?"

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

ElCondemn posted:

I think it's just to expect people taking deadly action to be held responsible for those actions when they make a mistake.

How about you actually answer the question

edit:

ElCondemn posted:

I think intent is important in a criminal trial, but I also wouldn't let a bad driver keep driving just because they weren't drunk at the wheel when they ran over a bus load of school kids.

I would if it turns out that this somehow happened without the driver taking any sort of unreasonable act that led to this result

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ElCondemn posted:

You're conflating negligence and intent - two opposites. Manslaughter is "negligent homicide" and Self Defense Killing is "justified, intentional homicide."

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

blarzgh posted:

Laws aren't made to produce numerical results; they're designed to reflect the will of the people. Self defense laws are designed to reflect what society feels should be a justification for killing. If you disagree with the way the law is written or enforced, then here is the question:

This is how we get bad laws

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

ActusRhesus posted:

Based on information the defendant reasonably knew at the time. You keep ignoring that bit.

You're a loving lawyer do better. You don't think something like mens rea is capable of being the least bit controversial in interpreting law? What's criminal negligence?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Jarmak posted:

Why is that?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Jarmak posted:

How about you actually answer the question

Sorry, I thought I was. Yes it's just to jail someone who is killing people he fears for no reason. He thought he was in danger, he wasn't, he is the dangerous one.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
What does self defense have to do with the police?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Woozy posted:

What's criminal negligence?

The opposite of criminal intent (mens rea).

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jarmak posted:

You already have bad Laws.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

blarzgh posted:

You're conflating negligence and intent - two opposites. Manslaughter is "negligent homicide" and Self Defense Killing is "justified, intentional homicide."

We don't care what the law is! We just want to change it!

Woozy posted:

You're a loving lawyer do better. You don't think something like mens rea is capable of being the least bit controversial in interpreting law? What's criminal negligence?

Well, for starters there's no affirmative claim of self defense in a negligence case...

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

ActusRhesus posted:

I phrased that poorly. Replace more liberal with "the current state in which the defendant is held to the reasonable belief standard"

We get a lot of publicity for cop cases and Zimmerman cases. But these are not the majority of cases in which self defense is claimed. See it much more in assaults gone wrong or domestic cases.

The problem with law reform is the new law will apply to everyone. Not just the people we (right now) want it to apply to.

Right now people like Cece McDonald and Marissa Alexander go to prison anyway, so the current issue is probably more, "if the standards applied to vigilantes and police were applied to everyone, then our prisons would be empty."

Lyesh fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 4, 2015

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

blarzgh posted:

Why is that?

Because laws should be made based on attempting to achieve the greatest possible good while balancing disparate societal interests, not common sense and what "feels good".

Woozy posted:

blarzgh posted:

The opposite of criminal intent (mens rea).

Mens Rea means "guilty mind" not "intent". "Intent" is a level of mens rea, "negligence" is another.

ElCondemn posted:

Sorry, I thought I was. Yes it's just to jail someone who is killing people he fears for no reason. He thought he was in danger, he wasn't, he is the dangerous one.

Its not for no reason, otherwise it wouldn't be just, try again

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

ActusRhesus posted:

We don't care what the law is! We just want to change it!

Well, for starters there's no affirmative claim of self defense in a negligence case...

There loving shouldn't be in a case where someone deliberately contrives a self-defense scenario to get away with murder either but here we are

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

blarzgh posted:

I was having two thoughts. People should be held responsible for their mistakes. But I think the judgment should reflect what the person intended. For instance, I want dangerous killers locked away, but I'd be ok with a shorter sentence for the guy who thought he was just protecting himself.

Though you bring up a good point, is the squatters case negligent homicide or justified intentional homicide? Does the fact that no gun was present change the charge?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Jarmak is right. Negligent, reckless, and intentional are all different mens rea. But only intentional can be countered with a self defense claim.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

ElCondemn posted:

I was having two thoughts. People should be held responsible for their mistakes. But I think the judgment should reflect what the person intended. For instance, I want dangerous killers locked away, but I'd be ok with a shorter sentence for the guy who thought he was just protecting himself.

Though you bring up a good point, is the squatters case negligent homicide or justified intentional homicide? Does the fact that no gun was present change the charge?

That already happens in many jurisdictions. A flawed self defense claim can justify reckless charges.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Jarmak posted:

Its not for no reason, otherwise it wouldn't be just, try again

Oh, what was the reason again?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Woozy posted:

There loving shouldn't be in a case where someone deliberately contrives a self-defense scenario to get away with murder either but here we are

Another brilliant reform idea, we can just not let the guilty people have trials

ElCondemn posted:

Are you seriously loving telling me after this whole time you don't even know what the guy you're freaking out about as an example of the law being wrong was charged with?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Woozy posted:

So is your argument we should get rid of self defense? Not trying to be snide. I really don't get where you are trying to go here.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Jarmak posted:

Because laws should be made based on attempting to achieve the greatest possible good while balancing disparate societal interests, not common sense and what "feels good".

A lofty proposition in a democracy. Shouldn't 'the laws' be made in an attempt to organize and the rules by which society agrees to live with one another, and the People be charged with attempting to achieve the greatest possible good?

Jarmak posted:

Mens Rea means "guilty mind" not "intent". "Intent" is a level of mens rea, "negligence" is another.

The people in this thread were conflating the difference between an intentional homicide and a negligent one.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

ElCondemn posted:

Oh, what was the reason again?

A reasonable belief that the shooter's life was in danger, but that's not even the loving question I asked you, its telling you can't answer the question without restating it to me something completely different first.

Jarmak posted:

Do you think its just to put people in jail for actions they reasonably believed to be just at time they took them?.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Jarmak posted:

Are you seriously loving telling me after this whole time you don't even know what the guy you're freaking out about as an example of the law being wrong was charged with?

Yeah, and my arguments are still better than "mistakes happen, you can't hold people accountable for making a mistake".

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Woozy posted:

Pretty sure evidence that somebody deliberately contrived a scenario for the purpose of killing somebody is already the kind of thing that would make self defense laws inapplicable.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Warbadger posted:

Pretty sure evidence that somebody deliberately contrived a scenario for the purpose of killing somebody is already the kind of thing that would make self defense laws inapplicable.

Yes.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Jarmak posted:

A reasonable belief that the shooter's life was in danger, but that's not even the loving question I asked you, its telling you can't answer the question without restating it to me something completely different first.

I keep saying yes, but you keep thinking I mean something else.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

ActusRhesus posted:

Jarmak is right. Negligent, reckless, and intentional are all different mens rea. But only intentional can be countered with a self defense claim.

So if you are negligent and/or reckless, with a reasonable belief that your actions are going to create a situation where you're likely to defend yourself with lethal force, that's a good result? We're happy that the current laws don't prevent that situation?

Edit:
1. Negligently kill someone is manslaughter
2. Intentionally kill someone is murder

3. Negligently arrange for a self-defense killing is not a crime
4. Intentionally arrange for a self-defense killing is murder

I think we should change laws so that #3 is manslaughter

Devor fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 4, 2015

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

blarzgh posted:

A lofty proposition in a democracy. Shouldn't 'the laws' be made in an attempt to organize and the rules by which society agrees to live with one another, and the People be charged with attempting to achieve the greatest possible good?

Well we're arguing past each other a bit, what you're describing above is the reason we have laws and the goal in organizing the system by which we create them versus I'm talking about the reasoning with which the individual laws should be created.

I don't think the former really belongs in a policy level debate and which is why I think I misunderstood exactly what you were trying to say.

Though I suppose you could make an argument to structuralism that a moral structure for creating laws creates moral laws, which is ironically somewhat parallel to the argument going on right now that involves the disconnect between moral action and moral result.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Devor posted:

So if you are negligent and/or reckless, with a reasonable belief that your actions are going to create a situation where you're likely to defend yourself with lethal force, that's a good result? We're happy that the current laws don't prevent that situation?

Edit:
1. Negligently kill someone is manslaughter
2. Intentionally kill someone is murder

3. Negligently arrange for a self-defense killing is not a crime
4. Intentionally arrange for a self-defense killing is murder

I think we should change laws so that #3 is manslaughter

This is a false dichotomy, you don't "intentionally arrange for a self-defense killing", that's no longer self defense . You also can't "negligently arrange for a self-defense killing" because to arrange for something requires intent.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Jarmak posted:

This is a false dichotomy, you don't "intentionally arrange for a self-defense killing", that's no longer self defense . You also can't "negligently arrange for a self-defense killing" because to arrange for something requires intent.

We can quibble over the exact phrasing, but the bottom line is that the Nevada man "Knew, or should have known, and a reasonable person should have known that his actions would be likely to cause this self-defense killing" (Negligent and/or reckless).

Edit: Adding a level of abstraction where you are negligently setting the pieces for a bad situation should have the same penalties as negligently causing the bad situation without the intermediate step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ElCondemn posted:

though you bring up a good point, is the squatters case negligent homicide or justified intentional homicide? Does the fact that no gun was present change the charge?

Thats intentional homicide, and the presence of a firearm is inconsequential to that analysis. The jury will later decide whether it was or wasn't justified (or maybe they have already, I haven't read any further) at which point they will likely consider the presence of a firearm in determining whether the homicide was justified

Justified2 Intentional1 Homicide.

1] "Did you intend the likely consequences of your actions to be the result of your actions." I shot at people to shoot them - intentional.
2] Is there an affirmative defense to your homicide, a reason that the homicide you committed should not be a crime? (self defense)

• Locked thread