Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

It's justified if the victim was objectively bad, the defendant was objectively good, and the victim absolutely unquestionably would have murdered the defendant as decided later... With the benefit of hindsight... By an Internet forum.

Duh.

Thank you this is what I have been saying.

Can you help me write this in statute form for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Devor posted:

So if you are negligent and/or reckless, with a reasonable belief that your actions are going to create a situation where you're likely to defend yourself with lethal force, that's a good result? We're happy that the current laws don't prevent that situation?

Edit:
1. Negligently kill someone is manslaughter
2. Intentionally kill someone is murder

3. Negligently arrange for a self-defense killing is not a crime
4. Intentionally arrange for a self-defense killing is murder

I think we should change laws so that #3 is manslaughter

#3 is impossible

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

blarzgh posted:

#3 is impossible

Literally what the Nevada killer did. He was reckless in that he knew, or should have known, that busting down the door at night, gun ready, would be likely to cause another's death. He knew his own mind, and knew he was ready to shoot at a moment's notice.

Edit: I may be conflating reckless and negligent. The essence stands.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Devor posted:

We can quibble over the exact phrasing, but the bottom line is that the Nevada man "Knew, or should have known, and a reasonable person should have known that his actions would be likely to cause this self-defense killing" (Negligent and/or reckless).

Entering his own property is not a proximate cause of him killing an attacker, the attacker attacking him is.

Also this interpretation would require us to establish he had a duty not to enter his own property, or a duty to avoid a place he has a right to be because he can foresee someone else victimizing him.

And yes, the jury believed him that he had an honest and reasonable belief that he was under attack, so that is the standard to which his actions are judged.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jarmak posted:

Entering his own property is not a proximate cause of him killing an attacker, the attacker attacking him is.

He wasn't attacked.

And you keep ignoring that he didn't enter his property in a reasonable and safe manner. He busted open the door in the middle of the night brandishing a pistol and fired at the first thing that moved. Which is why I have a harder time giving him the benefit of the doubt than say if he had served notice in the day time with a knock on the door, or waited until they were gone, put a notice on the door, and filed an eviction suit if they didn't vacate, or called the police first whose job it is to deal with trespassers.

My landlady has the right to enter my apartment, that doesn't mean she's not being reckless if she busts through the window at 5am and shoots me when I start up. But how can she face legal consequences for that, VitalSigns, are you saying she has no right to enter her own apartment?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 4, 2015

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Jarmak posted:

Also this interpretation would require us to establish he had a duty not to enter his own property, or a duty to avoid a place he has a right to be because he can foresee someone else victimizing him.

And yes, the jury believed him that he had an honest and reasonable belief that he was under attack, so that is the standard to which his actions are judged.

We're talking about 'should' rather than 'is', so feel free to stop talking about how a jury applied the law as it 'is' to let him get away with what 'should' be a crime.

He knew his own mind, that he was ready to shoot at small movements. Breaking down a door and yelling the middle of the night are something he should have known would cause small movements. He then shot someone as a result of a small movement.

I agree that we, as members of society, have duty not to take actions that we should know have a good chance of leading to death. Especially when there are other options available, like "Wait until daylight, knock" or "Call the police".

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

He wasn't attacked.

And you keep ignoring that he didn't enter his property in a reasonable and safe manner. He busted open the door in the middle of the night brandishing a pistol and fired at the first thing that moved. Which is why I have a harder time giving him the benefit of the doubt than say if he had served notice in the day time with a knock on the door, or waited until they were gone, put a notice on the door, and filed an eviction suit if they didn't vacate.

Jarmak posted:

The jury completely disagrees with your version of events

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Jarmak posted:

Well since we already know what the jury thinks maybe you should go away/shut the gently caress up?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Jarmak posted:

The jury applies the law as it is, we are discussing the law as it should be.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jarmak posted:

No, my version of events is what happened.

The jury disagreed with my judgment of the reasonableness of those events, but juries are just random schmoes who gives a gently caress. Was OJ not a killer because the jury believed him?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Do you guys read "To Kill a Mockingbird" and nod sagely when the verdict is revealed?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

VitalSigns posted:

The jury disagreed with my judgment of the reasonableness of those events, but juries are just random schmoes who gives a gently caress. Was OJ not a killer because the jury believed him?

So your proposal is to find a way to circumvent the jury? Is this for all criminal cases or just ones where you want a conviction?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

VitalSigns posted:

He wasn't attacked.

And you keep ignoring that he didn't enter his property in a reasonable and safe manner. He busted open the door in the middle of the night brandishing a pistol and fired at the first thing that moved. Which is why I have a harder time giving him the benefit of the doubt than say if he had served notice in the day time with a knock on the door, or waited until they were gone, put a notice on the door, and filed an eviction suit if they didn't vacate, or called the police first whose job it is to deal with trespassers.

My landlady has the right to enter my apartment, that doesn't mean she's not being reckless if she busts through the window at 5am and shoots me when I start up. But how can she face legal consequences for that, VitalSigns, are you saying she has no right to enter her own apartment?

The guy sounds like an rear end in a top hat and did things I wouldn't but this really doesn't sound like a case where a prosecutor could expect to clear the standard of beyond reasonable doubt.

Also landlords abide by very different standards than someone who is not renting a property out who runs into trespassers in their property. Comparing a legally recognized rental agreement with this case is legally irrelevant and generally stupid.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Devor posted:

We're talking about 'should' rather than 'is', so feel free to stop talking about how a jury applied the law as it 'is' to let him get away with what 'should' be a crime.

He knew his own mind, that he was ready to shoot at small movements. Breaking down a door and yelling the middle of the night are something he should have known would cause small movements. He then shot someone as a result of a small movement.

Woozy posted:

Well since we already know what the jury thinks maybe you should go away/shut the gently caress up?

The jury didn't "apply the law as it is" to let him get away, juries don't even apply the law. The jury decided the literal facts of the situation as VitalSigns described them is not what they believe happened, which is why he was acquitted.

Devor posted:

I agree that we, as members of society, have duty not to take actions that we should know have a good chance of leading to death. Especially when there are other options available, like "Wait until daylight, knock" or "Call the police".

Yes clearly as members of society we should punish victims of an attack for letting themselves be in a position where they were should have known someone would victimize them.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 4, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I honestly don't get why you're defending this guy, Jarmak. You and I both agree that people have the right to use deadly force in self defense. We both agree that you shouldn't instigate a situation that will lead to you having to kill in self defense if that situation is reasonably foreseeable and avoidable.

Busting down the door to an occupied dwelling that you own in the middle of the night can pretty reasonably foreseeably lead to a violent confrontation where someone might die, don't do that? Especially because there is a legal process for evicting squatters and a ton of totally reasonable less confrontational ways to deliver the notice to vacate that don't involve surprising possibly-armed people in the dark?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Jarmak posted:

Yes clearly as members of society we should punish victims of an attack for letting themselves be in a position where they were should have none someone would victimize them.

Yes, if you know that your action is likely to cause you to shoot someone, you should be punished when you shoot someone.

He "let himself" break down a door with a gun ready.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

The guy sounds like an rear end in a top hat and did things I wouldn't but this really doesn't sound like a case where a prosecutor could expect to clear the standard of beyond reasonable doubt.

Also landlords abide by very different standards than someone who is not renting a property out who runs into trespassers in their property. Comparing a legally recognized rental agreement with this case is legally irrelevant and generally stupid.

Actually, occupants still have legal rights even if they entered by force, and still have to be given notice to vacate and be evicted by the cops if they refuse, not chased out at 5am at gunpoint.

If you shoot someone in a dangerous situation, it is totally expected that we should look at your contribution to creating the situation and the foreseeability and reasonableness of avoiding it. Being an rear end in a top hat is fine, being enough of an rear end in a top hat that you create a violent situation and then shoot your way out of it is not so fine imo

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Jarmak posted:

The jury didn't "apply the law as it is" to let him get away, juries don't even apply the law. The jury decided the literal facts of the situation as VitalSigns described them is not what they believe happened, which is why he was acquitted.

No one is asking "why he was acquitted". That's obvious to people who aren't idiots (incidentally your explanation is wrong).

Why are you defending the ruling is a more interesting question, or at least it would be if you were anyone else.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

I honestly don't get why you're defending this guy, Jarmak. You and I both agree that people have the right to use deadly force in self defense. We both agree that you shouldn't instigate a situation that will lead to you having to kill in self defense if that situation is reasonably foreseeable and avoidable.

Busting down the door to an occupied dwelling that you own in the middle of the night can pretty reasonably foreseeably lead to a violent confrontation where someone might die, don't do that? Especially because there is a legal process for evicting squatters and a ton of totally reasonable less confrontational ways to deliver the notice to vacate that don't involve surprising possibly-armed people in the dark?

I'm not defending the guy, I'm defending the process and the law with which he was judged because I think the process was fine and the law is fine.

Radish posted:

Do you guys read "To Kill a Mockingbird" and nod sagely when the verdict is revealed?

Did you read that book and come to the conclusion circumventing the law to get a desired outcome was a good thing? Because if you think you're arguing the side of Atticus by suggesting we ignore juries and law and punish people based on gut feelings then you need to read that book again.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

VitalSigns posted:

Actually, occupants still have legal rights even if they entered by force, and still have to be given notice to vacate and be evicted by the cops if they refuse, not chased out at 5am at gunpoint.

Apparently not :v:

Again, guy sounds like an rear end in a top hat, but you are saying what he did is illegal when it apparently wasn't or at least could not be proven to be illegal.

Those saying any situation you put yourself into where you think you might have to kill someone should be punishable are bonkers though.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Devor posted:

Yes, if you know that your action is likely to cause you to shoot someone, you should be punished when you shoot someone.
What's the limit on this? A battered spouse knows that if she stays in her home, her husband will eventually attack her, can she stay in her home, and potentially use lethal force to defend herself from a lethal threat, or does she possess a duty to flee anywhere she might reasonably suspect her husband to be?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

What OJ did couldn't be proven to be criminal, so I guess it was fine!

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

VitalSigns posted:

Your version is incorrect. He was actually dual wielding pistols, like a loving counter strike match, when he kicked the door open.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

twodot posted:

What's the limit on this? A battered spouse knows that if she stays in her home, her husband will eventually attack her, can she stay in her home, and potentially use lethal force to defend herself from a lethal threat, or does she possess a duty to flee anywhere she might reasonably suspect her husband to be?

There's no duty to flee your home to avoid a domestic violence situation in any jurisdiction I'm aware of, even the ones that impose a duty to retreat in other places, so apparently these distinctions can be made after all hth

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

VitalSigns posted:

What OJ did couldn't be proven to be criminal, so I guess it was fine!

More like OJ, a guy I personally believe to be a murderer, is not evidence that we live in a land of broken courts. All the people whose lives are ruined by petty convictions are better evidence of a broken set of laws and court processes.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

VitalSigns posted:

There's no duty to flee your home to avoid a domestic violence situation in any jurisdiction I'm aware of, even the ones that impose a duty to retreat in other places, so apparently these distinctions can be made after all hth
Are we discussing what is currently legal or what should be legal? As far as what is currently legal, the Nevada guy didn't have a duty to retreat earlier, so the person I quoted is wrong. If we're discussing what should be legal this is entirely irrelevant.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Jarmak posted:

I'm not defending the guy, I'm defending the process and the law with which he was judged because I think the process was fine and the law is fine.

Did you read that book and come to the conclusion circumventing the law to get a desired outcome was a good thing? Because if you think you're arguing the side of Atticus by suggesting we ignore juries and law and punish people based on gut feelings then you need to read that book again.

When you try to use "the jury thought differently" as a masterstroke response I don't see how you don't read the jury in that case as being correct since they made their decision and thus the man with a crippled arm must have done that crime. Pointing out that it's clear this guy engineered a situation for legal murder based on his actions, statements, and the time of day he decided to enter the property and got away with it isn't calling for the entire jury system to be nullified or extrajudicial justice be applied and it's really disingenuous that people are arguing around that presumption.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Woozy posted:

No one is asking "why he was acquitted". That's obvious to people who aren't idiots (incidentally your explanation is wrong).

Why are you defending the ruling is a more interesting question, or at least it would be if you were anyone else.

Because I thought we were having a policy discussion about self defense laws not just circle jerking about this guy being an rear end in a top hat.

VitalSigns posted:

If you shoot someone in a dangerous situation, it is totally expected that we should look at your contribution to creating the situation and the foreseeability and reasonableness of avoiding it. Being an rear end in a top hat is fine, being enough of an rear end in a top hat that you create a violent situation and then shoot your way out of it is not so fine imo

Its actually very unclear in NV as per our debate yesterday, since the owner is obligated to tell them to leave before being able to have law enforcement remove them by force and its unclear whether these people actually qualified as committing criminal trespass or if it was forcible detainer (squatting). Since the prosecution didn't even attempt to raise this issue at trial I'm inclined to think they don't actually have any of the rights you're claiming in this instance.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

twodot posted:

Are we discussing what is currently legal or what should be legal? As far as what is currently legal, the Nevada guy didn't have a duty to retreat earlier, so the person I quoted is wrong. If we're discussing what should be legal this is entirely irrelevant.

But your slippery slope was a bad and wrong argument, because other states do impose a duty to retreat without imposing such a duty on battered wives, so bringing it up was irrelevant.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Radish posted:

When you try to use "the jury thought differently" as a masterstroke response I don't see how you don't read the jury in that case as being correct since they made their decision and thus the man with a crippled arm must have done that crime. Pointing out that it's clear this guy engineered a situation for legal murder based on his actions, statements, and the time of day he decided to enter the property and got away with it isn't calling for the entire jury system to be nullified or extrajudicial justice be applied and it's really disingenuous that people are arguing around that presumption.

Look, its loving dumb to say "self defense laws are bad" and "he engineered a way to commit legal murder" because a jury decided the narrative presented by vitalsigns (and the prosecutor) was reasonable self defense, they didn't.

They decided the evidence did not support that narrative, or at least they had enough doubt not convict based on it, that's why he was acquitted.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

twodot posted:

Was she actually in her home or was her husband squatting in a vacant property because

hahah just kidding she was found guilty anyway.

Listen, don't do this poo poo. Don't invoke the plight of battered women as a justification for SYG-style laws. It's tasteless and extremely cynical to include a real problem among the many fake ones fantasized about by vigilante survivalist idiots and even worse the law explicitly excludes domestic abuse situations in the state in which they originated (guess).

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Jarmak posted:

Because I thought we were having a policy discussion about self defense laws not just circle jerking about this guy being an rear end in a top hat.

You don't actually think he's an rear end in a top hat but you're too much of a loving coward to just come out and say it so you hide behind this petty legalism and pretend to be talking about something else.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jarmak posted:

Its actually very unclear in NV as per our debate yesterday, since the owner is obligated to tell them to leave before being able to have law enforcement remove them by force and its unclear whether these people actually qualified as committing criminal trespass or if it was forcible detainer (squatting). Since the prosecution didn't even attempt to raise this issue at trial I'm inclined to think they don't actually have any of the rights you're claiming in this instance.

She had been living there for years and had the address on her Nevada driver's license.

But it doesn't matter anyway, there are still more reasonable ways to tell trespassers to leave that are hilariously less likely to result in a confrontation than breaking in the door in the middle of the night, brandishing a pistol. This is really the problem I have: you shouldn't act in ways that cause unnecessarily explosive situations and rely on having a gun to get you out of it.

Just a hypothetical question, did the squatters have a right to self-defense here, do you think? If that flashlight had been a gun, would Devine have been justified in shooting an angry man who had just broken open the chain lock on the front door and came into the bedroom pointing a pistol at him? He certainly would have reasonably feared for his life.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

But your slippery slope was a bad and wrong argument, because other states do impose a duty to retreat without imposing such a duty on battered wives, so bringing it up was irrelevant.

What? "Duty to not go someplace you might be victimized" and "duty to retreat" are not the same thing.

This is not just victim blaming, its literally criminalizing victim-hood.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Jarmak posted:

What? "Duty to not go someplace you might be victimized" and "duty to retreat" are not the same thing.

This is not just victim blaming, its literally criminalizing victim-hood.

The victims in this case are the people who got shot you colossal douche bag.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Woozy posted:

Not according to the way the case was decided, and guess what, laws apply to more then one case!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Woozy posted:

I would argue that basically everyone involved was a victim to varying degrees.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Jarmak posted:

Not according to the way the case was decided, and guess what, laws apply to more then one case!

It's actually super adorable that you think no conviction = no victims given the amount of effort you spend pretending to know anything about law.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Jarmak posted:

What an awful post. The dead dude is a victim. The woman peppered with bullet holes is a victim. The shooter who hallucinated a gun is the victim of his own stupidity. Because a jury thought he was reasonable in seeing a gun that wasn't there he isn't going to jail, but that doesn't mean the person he killed isn't a victim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So here in New York City the Cops and the Media are yet again trying to hype everyone about the return of the "bad old days," today by hyping about how felony assaults on the Subway are up 27%. What you find out when you open the paper and get to the page the story is on it turns out that these crimes are up from something like the low 70s last year to 99 people this year, so less than a hundred people have been attacked on the Subway in the city of 8 million people and we're all suppose to act like it's going to be 1982 all over again cause of our Democrat mayor.

• Locked thread