Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

e wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Citizen Tayne posted:

Germany has the world's most highly-educated factory floor workforce, and their manufactured products are almost without exception leaders in their respective industry. Really makes you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oB6DN5dYWo

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Subjunctive posted:

pets or meat?

heh, igi

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Pinterest Mom posted:

german companies are all jointly managed by labour and capital. employee representatives hold 50% of board seats in all companies, by law.

the 20% ownership you're thinking about is the stake held by the state of Lower Saxony, which has a social democratic government rn

it is easy to do when you are bleeding the southern Euro countries dry. just economically now instead of militarily

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Cold on a Cob posted:

employees, eh? like, with benefits and stuff?

to this guy's credit he isn't sugar coating anything and likes to call these companies job destroyers lol

e: oh also later he talks about how they treat their drivers like poo poo, ok pedantic lol rescinded

yeah that dude's a pretty hardcore realist, he's talking business and he knows it but doesn't ignore the ethics

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

fits my needs posted:

it is easy to do when you are bleeding the southern Euro countries dry. just economically now instead of militarily

bleeding them dry by selling them stuff

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Syncopated posted:

bleeding them dry by selling them stuff

bleeding them dry by not letting the german currency inflate.

if the germans don't bail out greece then the euro is just another fixed exchange rate scheme, not a true monetary union. if it didn't exist, no one would actually be able to afford those german things because the german currency would be through the roof.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
i had to explain how foreign exchange rates work (mostly in a china-us-debt context) last week but I got to drag in how the euro totally screws not-germany so :toot:

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Pinterest Mom posted:

german companies are all jointly managed by labour and capital. employee representatives hold 50% of board seats in all companies, by law.

the 20% ownership you're thinking about is the stake held by the state of Lower Saxony, which has a social democratic government rn

:swoon:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Cold on a Cob posted:

yeah, in the "friends with" sense

I.e. they get hosed repeatedly without any commitment or stability in the relationship

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

kwinkles posted:

bleeding them dry by not letting the german currency inflate.

if the germans don't bail out greece then the euro is just another fixed exchange rate scheme, not a true monetary union. if it didn't exist, no one would actually be able to afford those german things because the german currency would be through the roof.

There's also the way that the german unions basically agreed to zero wage increases for years to keep industry growth high by reducing costs except this combined with the currency valuation gives an insane price advantage compared to the rest of the eurozone

also germans are like the most frugal people ever so they don't even care about the pay. i saw an interview with a factory worker and he was all "yes i have had no pay rise in 5 years but its ok because really all i need is new boots every year and cheep beer and i am happy"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

There's also the way that the german unions basically agreed to zero wage increases for years to keep industry growth high by reducing costs except this combined with the currency valuation gives an insane price advantage compared to the rest of the eurozone

also germans are like the most frugal people ever so they don't even care about the pay. i saw an interview with a factory worker and he was all "yes i have had no pay rise in 5 years but its ok because really all i need is new boots every year and cheep beer and i am happy"

its almost as though they figured out the key to a happy labor class is a little bit of infrastructure and they will then chill the gently caress out and be productive and show up to work without also bringing guns and a manifesto

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
they still hate Muslims though, Turks specifically

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

computer parts posted:

YEP

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

he was all "yes i have had no pay rise in 5 years but its ok because really all i need is new boots every year and cheep beer and i am happy"

unions here cover a lot of workers who are subject to wage freezes as well hth

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
also isn't there a two tier minimum wage system in germany right now? i remember hearing about it probably on (tw:npr) planet money

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Cold on a Cob posted:

also isn't there a two tier minimum wage system in germany right now? i remember hearing about it probably on (tw:npr) planet money

iirc during the start of the recession germany told their industries to not fire anyone just reduce their pay to 1 euro and then the government would pick up the tab with unemployment

i'm not sure if I got that right though

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

this guy has it figured out more than you probably realize

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

graph posted:

this guy has it figured out more than you probably realize

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

unions are good

cya

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

unions are good

cya

cop unions are not unions

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

i would want at least an xbox though, if i unionise that would be part of the demands

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

What the gently caress did I just watch?

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

graph posted:

cop unions are not unions

there are caveats but if you're not in a union esp in 'unskilled' work and someone says 'hey we should Union' you should Union

if no one is saying it then your the one who should be saying it

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

unskilled or large corp/govt work

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

∪ cops = ∅

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

decent human beings ∪ cops = ∅

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

super hyper meta rub out cops

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Citizen Tayne posted:

Germany has the world's most highly-educated factory floor workforce, and their manufactured products are almost without exception leaders in their respective industry. Really makes you think.

Germany has been that way for centuries too, part of the settlement of WWI consisted of the USA picking the corpse of German industry clean of patents and intellectual property. The American pharmaceutical firm Merck was seized from the German parent company and operated independently in the US after the war. German Merck KGaA has to operate in North America under the name "EMD" (Emanuel Merck Darmstadt) and U.S. Merck has to operate outside North America as "MSD" (Merck Sharp & Dohme). it's a real clusterfuck.

the treaty of versailles was such a clusterfuck idunno how anyone didnt expect it to cause wii

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Subjunctive posted:

pets or meat?

rabbits?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Moist von Lipwig posted:

the treaty of versailles was such a clusterfuck idunno how anyone didnt expect it to cause wii

nintendo did nothing wrong

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the police are actually epic ftw :troll: and they keep us safe from criminals :troll: :smug: please donate to your local police charity :cripes:

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Xoidanor posted:

What the gently caress did I just watch?

a classic?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

:3:

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

ok, part of this i accept, but i am pretty sure there are cops

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Cold on a Cob posted:

to this guy's credit he isn't sugar coating anything and likes to call these companies job destroyers lol

e: oh also later he talks about how they treat their drivers like poo poo, ok pedantic lol rescinded

link?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Smythe posted:

the police are actually epic ftw :troll: and they keep us safe from criminals :troll: :smug: please donate to your local police charity :cripes:

this, but unironically

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Necc0 posted:

here's a follow-up to the four-horsemen vid that was pretty popular here a few months ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqNLaJkyIB0

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

computer parts posted:

I don't know if its firmly held racism or the entire country being a white echo that lets awful stereotypes become fact but I know quite a few german people and the amount of racist poo poo out of their mouths is staggering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

europe doesn't have a tradition of multiculturalism. lovely immigration policies and poor integration/equality laws have reinfroced the idea among them that multiculturalism 'doesn't work', hence poo poo like, well, modern europe

• Locked thread