Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

my name in game is the same as here so you would know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

The 100-0 victory is the dream every squid hopes to achieve some day

Is that even possible? I was under thr impression that the spawn point was at least good for 1.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Urchin Underground and Walleye Warehouse are good for having 1 zone I think. Maybe even the mall too I think. Saltspray is a giant choke point and a ton of useless space.

E: The mall would do good to have 2 zones I think, on either side of the big ramp in the middle.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 4, 2015

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Attack and Defense bonuses are basically worthless for every weapon that's not a Charger or Blaster.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
I can't express how much I love the miiverse posts in Inkopolis, like this gem I found last night:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

I do wonder how much damage ink on the ground contributes to that. There has to be a reason why there's an ability to resist ink on the floor.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Not saying their wrong or that the extra damage can really matter, but none of these tests can take into account the damage done from standing in enemy ink which is gonna happen if you're shooting at someone.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Rexroom posted:

I do wonder how much damage ink on the ground contributes to that. There has to be a reason why there's an ability to resist ink on the floor.

To go from "literally stuck in ink" to "I move slow but can at least walk in their ink"

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can minor damage ups equal the amount provided by a main one? If damage ups are good for the blaster I guess I have to use them, but I don't want to give up any of my main perks.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Urchin Underground and Walleye Warehouse are good for having 1 zone I think. Maybe even the mall too I think. Saltspray is a giant choke point and a ton of useless space.

E: The mall would do good to have 2 zones I think, on either side of the big ramp in the middle.
If you think most of Salt Spray is useless that's not the map's fault.

Misandu posted:

Use the lower area to approach from behind while charging your special. Usually you can take out 1-2 people holding the high ground from behind and roll that into reclaiming the zone. If you regain the zone immediately go cover the enemies high ground approach and wait for them there, usually you can take them out while they're trying to ink it up to get to where you already are. It's probably my favorite splat zone map.

Attack and Defense are still useful because of the way that damage drop off at a distance work and HP regen (seem) to work. Also things like attacking an enemy who has taken some damage from an exchange with an ally. I haven't tested if standing in an enemy's ink actually damages you yet (gotta get into the Dojo for that) but if it does then a lot of weapons could go down a required hit to kill pretty easily.

Also every Defense Up makes you survive an extra hit from at least one weapon.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Martytoof posted:

I hope this clicks for me because I just can't get used to the gyros. I do pretty well with the sticks but I wonder if I could be doing better once I figure out the motion controls :|

The only real problem I have is that it's hard to see the aiming reticle in the heat of battle unless you actively focus on where it is on the screen, since it's white on top of often bright colors. I wish there was some way to customize its shape / color like there often are in FPSes, or if it just turned darker over brighter colors.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
If you just go into single player and stand in enemy ink and count the seconds til you die it'd be pretty easy to see how much damage/sec enemy ink does.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Sade posted:

Noirstronaut just so you know your barely veiled statements of attraction to the 13-year-old characters in this game got submitted to @goons_txt

i know, i retweeted it lol

Waffleman_ posted:

No it's not no it's not no it's noooooooooooot people please stop loving saying this.

if every state in america had an age of consent set at 18, but the federal law was 16, it would still make the aoc 16.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

noirstronaut posted:

if every state in america had an age of consent set at 18, but the federal law was 16, it would still make the aoc 16.

ABORT. ABORT.

PULL UP.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Echolocator is a dope ability.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Misandu posted:

If you think most of Salt Spray is useless that's not the map's fault.

Effectively, you dont need to go to the bottom or top of the map. If you do its to charge up your special, which you should but thats basically unused space. In the other Splatzone maps you can capture the zone, and then go paint all the pathways to slow down your opponents. You can do that in Saltspray too, but there are just way way fewer.

If 2 splatzones were in the top and bottom of the map instead, the map would be way more fun. The choke point where the zone is now stays a very important place to control a key pathway between the splatzones. It would be a lot like Port Mack, where controlling pathways is almost as important as controlling the zones.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

"Hi I'm a dumbass arguing unrelated poo poo in a video game made for literal children."

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
who is arguing lol

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Effectively, you dont need to go to the bottom or top of the map. If you do its to charge up your special, which you should but thats basically unused space. In the other Splatzone maps you can capture the zone, and then go paint all the pathways to slow down your opponents. You can do that in Saltspray too, but there are just way way fewer.

If 2 splatzones were in the top and bottom of the map instead, the map would be way more fun. The choke point where the zone is now stays a very important place to control a key pathway between the splatzones. It would be a lot like Port Mack, where controlling pathways is almost as important as controlling the zones.

The only part of the map that has no purpose is that little dongle at the very bottom. The top part is a good place to build up special and for longer range weapons to hold the back/elevated sides safely, the bottom levels are helpful for flanking opponents who commit to holding the elevated ground to either side of the point, and the side approaches that end facing the elevated ground I just mentioned are great places to take out the guy who just flanked your team.

I haven't played Port Mackerel yet on either mode. It looks like a fun map but there's a ton of stuff to do in Salt Spray, if you think it's just one meat grinder choke point then I encourage you to get creative!

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Just went 21-8 while everyone else was like, 7-6 or 2-9 :allears:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

:captainpop:

Splatoon: Don't get Paint Reaped

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 4, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Was wondering how the final boss got a green cross on him- then realized this wasn't his first game.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 4, 2015

tidiox
Jul 22, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Can minor damage ups equal the amount provided by a main one? If damage ups are good for the blaster I guess I have to use them, but I don't want to give up any of my main perks.

You could maybe do it if you were to stack three or more of them to equal a single primary Damage Up. The first secondary boost is 2.9% vs. 9% for the primary.

I tried testing it, but I have no shoes with Damage Up and no other gear with 2 minor Damage Ups on it.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

tidiox posted:

You could maybe do it if you were to stack three or more of them to equal a single primary Damage Up. The first secondary boost is 2.9% vs. 9% for the primary.

I tried testing it, but I have no shoes with Damage Up and no other gear with 2 minor Damage Ups on it.

A lot of rapid weapons seem to have a really low damage cap, with something like the Aerospray you might be able to hit it with just 2 minor ups?

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
Obviously we need someone with a ludicrous amount of in game money to just reroll until they get Damage Up on every possible slot, then test that.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Went 19-1 in a ranked game last night. Feels good.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Poultron posted:

Obviously we need someone with a ludicrous amount of in game money to just reroll until they get Damage Up on every possible slot, then test that.

Sounds more like I'll just reroll damage+ to def+ or literally about anything else since I don't use the weapon types it might help. like run/swim speed

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I just wanna say how insanely cool it is that they included a weapons test area that includes the different defense dummies as well as the actual damage numbers.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Lemming posted:

I just wanna say how insanely cool it is that they included a weapons test area that includes the different defense dummies as well as the actual damage numbers.

I agree. But what are the big dummies meant to represent?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

noirstronaut posted:

Please never loving post ever again, Christ.

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:

Fix posted:

maybe in that giant fish item mode the player with the fish gets extra health to make them more of a threat.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

https://twitter.com/NintendoMemo/status/606515504342306817

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

aerospray op

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I like to dress my video game characters seasonally, I'd hate for them to get too hot or cold. (See also, Animal Crossing.) I haven't found any short sleeve shirts I like, though.

Here's what I had yesterday. It was okay.

They had a striped shirt for sale today, here it is. What do you think?

If it's not obvious, I love that hat. I wish I could find some low top converse in funky colors, though.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Fix posted:

I think it might refer to something in single-player. Maybe the boss tentacle?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Fix posted:

Clearly we're getting TF2 style heavy inklings with miniguns this summer

Boggus
Mar 26, 2007

A yellow jumpsuit makes all the difference.
Playing this game just makes me angry.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lemming posted:

Yeah honestly its not the kind of thing I would have expected from Nintendo.

What with forcing us to watch Callie and Marie every single time, only having 2 maps, etc.

But hey, they did. Very useful.

Help Im Alive posted:

Clearly we're getting TF2 style heavy inklings with miniguns this summer

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

My team just won a game where we STARTED with 3 players vs 4 :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Boggus posted: