Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

If they're at the point they can remove the primary female lead who is a regular feature of the advertising and the protagonist's primary motivation from the game they are beyond half-baked. That is such a bewildering idea that I simply assumed it was a joke. (I'm at work and can't watch the video.)

She was replaced by another character named Luna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Terper posted:

Nothing mentioned about Cindy.

*quick sigh of relief*

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Terper posted:

She was replaced by another character named Luna.

Moon > Stars.

Got it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh, okay. They just changed Stella Nox Fleuret to Luna Nox Fleuret and changed her design. That makes more sense

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

They talk about it at about 34:30.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

rip

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

More bimbos in Final Fantasy please

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

'complete, coherent story' lol

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It's a final fantasy game, so you know the story is gonna go completely off the rails shooter on us.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

'complete, coherent story' lol

Yeah, the gist of it is, the original Versus draft and ideas and vision were so big that it would either have to be one humongous game, or sequels to be made, something that was talked about during E3 2013. They decided however that they wanted just one, coherent game, and so things had to be cut, and Stella was one of them.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Looks like no trailer at e3. They're dropping a lot of hints about a PC release.

Gologle posted:

"Stop mumbling you loving goon."

"Ehhh, get the sound mixers to artificially raise the volume of the mic. It's fine."

EDIT: Ferrari Roberto is such a sweet name. I'm stealing that for my kid.

Ferrari used to work at Namco-Bandai on the Tekken series. He did some work on The Last Remnant as well. It seems he's had quite a rise in the company now that management is looking to have multinational development teams.

There a number of revelations in this live stream. Tabata is trying very hard to manage the expectations of fans, especially who have been following the game for a long time. It's quite in sharp contrast to how Versus's development team promised the moon and didn't deliver anything. Tabata is also taking full responsibility for the quality of the game as its director.

The accreditation to roles is very interesting when compared to when the game was Final Fantasy Versus XIII and headed by Tetsuya Nomura. Much of the original team has been removed from the project or just given credit as the source of the original concept. For example, Nomura is just listed as the main character designer with Ferrari sharing top billing for character design. Many of the people Tabata has worked with in the past have taken up the vacant roles left by the original Kingdom Hearts team.

Kazushige Nojima seems to be just the original scenario writer who will have his writing heavily tweaked by the current development team. This wouldn't be without precedent. FF12 had new writers and scenario designers added to it after Yasumi Matsuno left the project despite Matsuno having already written the game scenario. If a game is in development hell and needs to be re-scoped, it wouldn't be unusual to have new writers change the story to fit the new direction of the game. It's good that Tabata is being upfront about these changes and tempering expectations.

After the reboot, it looks like they've only salvaged some of the characters and basic plot outline from Versus XIII or whatever series of games it was supposed to be. The party scene from the original Versus trailers has also been removed. The invasion scene had changed. Furthermore, the original concept of Stella is gone.

RIP Stella
RIP Versus XIII

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Chaotic Flame posted:

Yeah, what? I haven't been following this closely at all, but I thought she was supposed to be pretty important.

She was. Like, five years ago. Since then we haven't seen anything about her.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I suspect she was changed or removed a lot earlier than now. There was pretty much no new information about her for a long while, I think even before the rebranding to FFXV.

Yes. Everything we knew about Stella we learned shortly after she was first revealed in a trailer.

Sakurazuka posted:

XV is going to get focused grouped into nothing.

It's obvious that what they're using these surveys for, and what they aren't, so I'm not too worried.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, I'm gonna guess that decision was made a while ago. It seems like the role of the original character just couldn't be worked into what they had so they cannibalized what they could for this new character.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

they're gonna dick around with XV for another couple of years, patching demos, changing clothing, adding more shrubbery to the landscape, etc, until someone says "holy poo poo, it's been over a decade! get this loving thing out!" and they'll release a buggy, laggy game that ends on a "to be continued" and then it's RIP Square.

E: oh, and its going to be hilarious!

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Was the invasion/party scene the one that takes place during the daytime where Leviathan attacks? Because I'd be more bummed out about that being gone than some character who hasn't had a presence in their promotions for years.

I really want to give the XV update a shot before Heavensward comes out, though. Hopefully it comes out early during E3 week at the latest. E: I guess I should've watched the video first, since they say it's coming out June 5th. Neat.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 4, 2015

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Moldy Taxes posted:

Was the invasion/party scene the one that takes place during the daytime where Leviathan attacks? Because I'd be more bummed out about that being gone than some character who hasn't had a presence in their promotions for years.

I really want to give the XV update a shot before Heavensward comes out, though. Hopefully it comes out early during E3 week at the latest.

No, this sequence.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Terper posted:

They talk about it at about 34:30.

He seems more than a little nervous as he's delivering that message, like he's expecting a bunch of insane fanboys to come crashing through the wall behind him after he torches their perfect waifu Stella

Also comments about the story being a complete game makes me think they either are removing all the FNC links or it was written to bait sequels and they're backing off of that.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

This has bothered me for way too long and I've found so many unsatisfying answers to it that I really can't help but ask.

What is it about Final Fantasy VII that people actually enjoy? I've tried playing it several times and just can't understand. The movement and controls outside of battle are rear end, the battle system is nothing different from other similar games... there's basically nothing about it that compares favorably to 6 or 8, which are both run on the same tech and have roughly the same team behind them. Is it just nostalgia? Something else I'm not getting?

The sidequests aren't even that great, which is generally the most fun I have in mainline FF games. Chocobo breeding is tedious as gently caress.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

6 and 7 don't really run on the same tech, my man.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

6 or 8, which are both run on the same tech

You're going to have to give a more specific definition of "same" tech here because there are 2 platforms and 3 completely different game engines represented here.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

This has bothered me for way too long and I've found so many unsatisfying answers to it that I really can't help but ask.

What is it about Final Fantasy VII that people actually enjoy? I've tried playing it several times and just can't understand. The movement and controls outside of battle are rear end, the battle system is nothing different from other similar games... there's basically nothing about it that compares favorably to 6 or 8, which are both run on the same tech and have roughly the same team behind them. Is it just nostalgia? Something else I'm not getting?

The sidequests aren't even that great, which is generally the most fun I have in mainline FF games. Chocobo breeding is tedious as gently caress.

The plot is twisty and fucks with your head, Materia is very configurable, nearly to a fault, every character is memorable and... it's a great RPG. The backgrounds are still gorgeous, and it's an enjoyable world to explore and discover how badly Shinra has hosed it all up.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Probably they like the narrative and the setting and the cast and the music. You know, all that unimportant stuff.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I did a little recording today in preparation for something so here's the opening cgi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkzlru69Sas

wow exciting

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

My favorite thing about TAY's opening is that even in their bullshit cgi trailer they couldn't think of anything exciting from Edward's story so he just looks at a flower

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you think a game is bad just uh, don't play it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

you think 8 is bette than 7 wthatfuck

maybe squall should have junctioned some personality to his character lol

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I personally like VIII more than VII, and even I think that VII is technically a better game in pretty much every area. The only reason I like VIII more is because I have a thing for breaking games over my knee, and it lets me do that so easily.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

maybe squall should have junctioned some personality to his character lol

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Whenever people mention liking VIII I have to remind them that the main characters hold an emo rock concert on some abandoned oil platform in the middle of the ocean during their quest to save the world because one of them is sad about something.

Everyone seems to block that part out of their memory.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't like VIII but that's one of the good parts

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

VIII is a fun game with the best FF soundtrack + it has triple triad

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Zombie Samurai posted:

Whenever people mention liking VIII I have to remind them that the main characters hold an emo rock concert on some abandoned oil platform in the middle of the ocean during their quest to save the world because one of them is sad about something.

Rocking out is supposed to make me stop liking VIII?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Zombie Samurai posted:

that part and the galbadia garden battle are like the only gopod parts

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I wonder how people would've viewed FF8 if they didn't change the original line "...Sorry" into "...Whatever."

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zombie Samurai posted:

I must have blocked that out because I don't remember it at all.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fungah! posted:

that part and the galbadia garden battle are like the only gopod parts

Yeah. The love scene in space complete with a vocal performance was cool too

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Zombie Samurai posted:

that was great though, its everything else that sucked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4voJjkJevs

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

that was great though, its everything else that sucked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4voJjkJevs

One of the greatest moments in the series right here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

they're gonna dick around with XV for another couple of years, patching demos, changing clothing, adding more shrubbery to the landscape, etc, until someone says "holy poo poo, it's been over a decade! get this loving thing out!" and they'll release a buggy, laggy game that ends on a "to be continued" and then it's RIP Square.

E: oh, and its going to be hilarious!

Tabata's probably doing these constant content updates for the people upstairs as much as he is for us. Hopefully these continuous, public tweaks and updates will give SE reason not to lean too hard on the release schedule and let him create a finished product.

They're probably resting easy with their mobile division uptick, anyway.