Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Zombie Samurai posted:

Whenever people mention liking VIII I have to remind them that the main characters hold an emo rock concert on some abandoned oil platform in the middle of the ocean during their quest to save the world because one of them is sad about something.

Everyone seems to block that part out of their memory.

That's a bad thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Zombie Samurai posted:

Whenever people mention liking VIII I have to remind them that the main characters hold an emo rock concert on some abandoned oil platform in the middle of the ocean during their quest to save the world because one of them is sad about something.

Everyone seems to block that part out of their memory.

Well I apparently have because I have no idea what you're talking about.

I guess this just means I'll have to replay FFVIII, which is, in fact, a game I like. It'll be in the Steam summer sale anyway.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Yeah. The love scene in space complete with a vocal performance was cool too

oh yeah, that was cool. i weirdly liked the spaceship dungeon that came right before that too. 8 actually had some pretty good dungeons, the sacred/minotaur dungeon was solid and the last dungeon was pretty good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fungah! posted:

oh yeah, that was cool. i weirdly liked the spaceship dungeon that came right before that too. 8 actually had some pretty good dungeons, the sacred/minotaur dungeon was solid and the last dungeon was pretty good

Didn't that spaceship dungeon have some weird puzzle with the color of dragon enemies or something

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

8 really strikes the same chord with me that 5 did. Mechanically they are wonderful games that heavily encourage you to understand the systems and BREAK THEM MALICIOUSLY.

Their storylines do leave much to be desired.

Oh, and they both have Gilgamesh.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

V is much more mechanically sound than VIII. VIII is really half assed and broken from moment one, where V just has a ton of variables and options that can interact in fun and interesting ways you get to by experimenting. VIII leveling mechanic just plain sucks

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I remember hating the concert because you have to go around and be super encouraging and help everyone learn their instruments, except you're playing as Squall who is still pretending he doesn't give a poo poo about any of it.

I didn't like VIII when I played it back in high school, but my vague recollections of it make me want to try it again. Like, how many people remember the giant drill prison? Or Jabba the Hutt under Balamb Garden? Or the huge section of the game devoted to taking over a TV studio?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Madmarker posted:

8 really strikes the same chord with me that 5 did. Mechanically they are wonderful games that heavily encourage you to understand the systems and BREAK THEM MALICIOUSLY.

Their storylines do leave much to be desired.

Oh, and they both have Gilgamesh.

FFVIII and FFV aren't even in the same ballpark. Both are breakable but FFV is well-designed enough you can finish the game with almost any character set due to the way skills and items are created. FFVIII is breakable because the system is so badly designed that looking at it sideways breaks the game in half.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
WHATEVER

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Squall is good in stuff that isn't his own game, meanwhile outside of FF7 Cloud is trash garbage and that's hilarious to me for some reason.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Barudak posted:

The absolute hardest part of FFXIII for me on any playthrough is those goddamn phalanx enemies in the cave separating you from the main open field of Gran Pulse and the tower that leads to the town containing the one and only NPC/Sidequest in the game. Everything after them is eminently doable but they have such a large portion of health and buff/summon help quickly I find myself either using my "start the battle with the enemy staggered" items or the "avoid enemy fights" to get passed them since grinding/spending tons of money on gear upgrades doesn't feel worth it yet especially given how easy the next enemies are.

Jeez, that cave is exactly where I am right now and it's what made me think that I'm grossly under-powered for the area of the game I'm in. I stopped playing for four months so when the recap brought me back up to speed, I realized I had forgotten I was even heading toward a town. I thought Gran Pulse was populated only by giant monsters.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

that was great though, its everything else that sucked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4voJjkJevs

Seriously great.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

FFVIII and FFV aren't even in the same ballpark. Both are breakable but FFV is well-designed enough you can finish the game with almost any character set due to the way skills and items are created. FFVIII is breakable because the system is so badly designed that looking at it sideways breaks the game in half.

I disagree with your assertion that 8's gameplay wasn't well designed. VIII had great gameplay with customizability in the form of the GF's and Junctions. The game had an easy mode in the form of repeated summoning for people who didn't understand the mechanics, and for those that did, junctioning allowed you speed through the game and devastate with limits. It easily had the best minigame in Final Fantasy in the form of Triple Triad (Chocobo Hot and Cold is good to though). What I will say is a problem with FFVIII's gameplay is that people who didn't understand the card and refining system would stand around and draw magic for x number of hours like idiots because no tutorial really stressed the importance of refining magic and card modding enough. Even though it should be drat obvious since Fasticalon-Fs gave you an item that refined into something like 20 Waters, which was very good magic at that point of the game. And an early card refines into 100 elixirs.

Also quoting for truth, unironically an awesome part of the game.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 4, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah I never refined a single card in my whole playthrough because I didn't even know you could do that, and I played the game for the first time 2 years ago.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Madmarker posted:

I disagree with your assertion that 8's gameplay wasn't well designed. VII had great gameplay with customizability in the form of the GF's and Junctions. The game had an easy mode in the form of repeated summoning for people who didn't understand the mechanics, and for those that did, junctioning allowed you speed through the game and devastate with limits. It easily had the best minigame in Final Fantasy in the form of Triple Triad (Chocobo Hot and Cold is good to though). What I will say is a problem with FFVIII's gameplay is that people who didn't understand the card and refining system would stand around and draw magic for x number of hours like idiots because no tutorial really stressed the importance of refining magic and card modding enough. Even though it should be drat obvious since Fasticalon-Fs gave you an item that refined into something like 20 Waters, which was very good magic at that point of the game. And another early card refines into 100 elixirs.

FFVIII's gameplay is absolutely badly designed. The very fact that you're pointing to a complete optional minigame as being something people have to understand to make the combat system not tedious is kind of a big ol' example right there.

However even beyond that it's a badly designed system. Junctioning effectively does what you said. It allows you to speed through the game and devastate with limits. That means you never actually have to engage with any mechanics beyond the most simple. You just junction big damage and spam limit breaks. The game in fact actively discourages fighting and running through with ENC-NONE and doing a low-level game is not only viable but optimal is absurd. Very few of the mechanics are worth engaging with because "refine stats -> big damage" is so overwhelmingly powerful that you're discourage from using magic even because it can't possibly match up.

Like if you play FF8 as a CCG game where occasionally you have to sacrifice a card to make a boss explode then it's pretty fun. However if you don't want to play a CCG and instead to play a RPG then suddenly it becomes clear it's a pretty lovely RPG attached to a fun CCG!

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Zombie Samurai posted:

I remember hating the concert because you have to go around and be super encouraging and help everyone learn their instruments, except you're playing as Squall who is still pretending he doesn't give a poo poo about any of it.
doesn't everyone learn their instruments on their own to surprise Squall?

Anyway, the game could definitely use better tutorials.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Didn't that spaceship dungeon have some weird puzzle with the color of dragon enemies or something

yeah the enemies were all pairs of colors, if you killed one and didn't kill its matching pair next they'd both respawn. not a great gimmick but not a bad one either

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

and yeah 8 was fun to break but the actual mechanics are a level beyond garbage. i call it garbage 2

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fungah! posted:

yeah the enemies were all pairs of colors, if you killed one and didn't kill its matching pair next they'd both respawn. not a great gimmick but not a bad one either

Miles ahead of the final dungeon gimmick...what a pile

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i remember likeing the last dungeon for some reason although in hindsight i don't remember why. i just really like gimmick dungeons as long as the gimmick isn't extremely poo poo

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

"if squall had an iphone, i bet he'd take a selphie" - one of the many funny jokes in my upcoming FFVIII lets play

Fungah! posted:

i remember likeing the last dungeon for some reason although in hindsight i don't remember why. i just really like gimmick dungeons as long as the gimmick isn't extremely poo poo

I thought it was fun but maybe it's just because the soundtrack owned. It was the final boss gimmick I didn't like where you can't choose your party members (but the fight itself is great)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Fungah! posted:

and yeah 8 was fun to break but the actual mechanics are a level beyond garbage. i call it garbagera

Fixed.

e: Garbagega is [Your favorite FF game here].

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Zombie Samurai posted:

I didn't like VIII when I played it back in high school, but my vague recollections of it make me want to try it again. Like, how many people remember the giant drill prison? Or Jabba the Hutt under Balamb Garden? Or the huge section of the game devoted to taking over a TV studio?

I remember everything from that game cause it was loving dope. The more retarded a scenario was the better it was. The concert was dope, NORG was dope, the failed assassination attempt was dope, the amnesia plotline was dope. Just a dope rear end game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lol NORG

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmao i forgot about NORB until you brought it up. what a dumb lovely part of the game

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Oh, this mercenary school for teenagers? Funded by a giant squid man who lives in the basement. Also the school is an airship.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Wasn't the entire SeeD program founded and run by Cid specifically to kill his ex-wife?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The most insane part about NORG is that he is mentioned in precisely one scene which occurs immediately before his boss fight and then he is never mentioned again.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The most insane part about NORG is that he is mentioned in precisely one scene which occurs immediately before his boss fight and then he is never mentioned again.

I believe some random rear end NPC mentions him super early on. Also something in the computers in the classroom?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

He's actually mentioned as soon as you gain control.

Do people just not talk to NPCs or check out consoles and stuff?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

so that's twice twenty hours before he shows up and then zero times after he's dead. that's still insane

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

IIRC there's a whole town of norg people, he's probably mentioned there

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

"if squall had an iphone, i bet he'd take a selphie" - one of the many funny jokes in my upcoming FFVIII lets play

I thought it was fun but maybe it's just because the soundtrack owned. It was the final boss gimmick I didn't like where you can't choose your party members (but the fight itself is great)

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The more you think about VIII, the smarter Selphie becomes. It really would've been easier if she had just been in charge.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dubious posted:

basically all of us shitheads who bought it for ps4 for the FF15 demo get the shaft :retrogames:

SE knew full well that people were going to buy it for the FF15 demo and they thank you suckers for your business.

Did they change Cidney's outfit?

The Cidney DOA beach volleyball outfit will be DLC.

Fungah! posted:

so that's twice twenty hours before he shows up and then zero times after he's dead. that's still insane

Everything at that point of the game is just Squall's fevered mind in the last moments before he dies since Edna killed him with an icicle through the chest.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Zombie Samurai posted:

What the gently caress I honestly remember 0 of the concert. I thought I generally remember most of the FF plots, I even remembered the Jabba Out Of Nowhere

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Help Im Alive posted:

VIII is a fun game with the best FF soundtrack + it has triple triad

I don't know that I'd go as far as best soundtrack, but yeah.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also FF8 is the only FF where I thought "I should replay this" and I actually stopped in the middle of it. I think it might be one of the worse ones which is a shame because I love the music and world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Do people just not talk to NPCs or check out consoles and stuff?

NPCs, sure. Sitting down in front of a lovely fake internet or reading codices, not so much.