Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Murphy Brownback posted:

Dark chocolate is fine but there's something wrong with you if you can't appreciate the taste of good quality milk chocolate (i.e. not hersheys).

I don't think it exists where I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Picnic Princess posted:

I don't think it exists where I am.

Maybe I'm spoiled by having Sprungli shops on practically every street. I can't imagine anyone not liking their milk (or any kind for that matter) chocolate, so maybe give it a try if you're ever in switzerland.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Murphy Brownback posted:

Maybe I'm spoiled by having Sprungli shops on practically every street. I can't imagine anyone not liking their milk (or any kind for that matter) chocolate, so maybe give it a try if you're ever in switzerland.

You live in Switzerland, and say you're "maybe" spoiled on chocolate.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
It's funny when Americans get Cadbury chocolate and act like it's "the fancy stuff" because it doesn't taste like drywall and paste.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

It's funny when Americans get Cadbury chocolate and act like it's "the fancy stuff" because it doesn't taste like drywall and paste.

I have to literally slap away hands when I peel open a fresh box of Russell Stover chocolates.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Ritter Sport or die.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Murphy Brownback posted:

Dark chocolate is fine but there's something wrong with you if you can't appreciate the taste of good quality milk chocolate (i.e. not hersheys).

Milk chocolate is mostly just sweet. I don't mind milk chocolate, and it can go nicely with nuts or whatever, but on its own it's just not particularly good. Dark chocolate is actually nice enough to eat by itself.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

SwissDonkey posted:

I like fruit cake, black liquorice (including 'salty') and loving love super dark chocolate. I also drink my coffee as strong as possible, black with no sugar and am all over smelly, moldy cheeses. You're all missing out, seriously.

Strong flavors are the best flavors. :getin:

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

America has some good chocolate, but you have to not be an idiot, and not buy cheap garbage poo poo like Hershey's (though even that tastes edible to me, because as an American I have been conditioned to accept vomit taste in cheap milk chocolate). I'm sure there are parts of the country where it's hard to find good chocolate though, and I'm glad I've never been to those places.

cash crab posted:

My ex and I used to play Jelly Roulette. We'd take a few boxes of these and dump these out onto the bed. Whoever could get to the end without vomiting won! My ex lost after getting the barf one, apparently it's extremely accurate.

I am ashamed to say that I haven't eaten jelly beans since i was like 13. I need some barf beans.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Fixed that for you.

:golfclap::guinness:

You know what's up

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

No issues with quality milk chocolate, but really any good milk chocolate I've had could have been enhanced if it was dark chocolate

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The worst chocolate brand is that one with the stylized rabbit logo, most of their stuff is just awful

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I like using cocoa in savory dishes.

Also milk chocolate is delicious, I like Green Black myself.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

No, not at all. Wedding cake in the US is less edible than that, with more rolled fondant, sculpted fondant, architectural fondant, fondant-bearing fondant, and insulating fondant. There might actually be some cake involved in it somewhere, supported by dowels and cardboard so it doesn't crash through the fondant.

Some of you might be laughing at this post but holy poo poo it's pretty accurate

My sister insisted on an enormous fondant cake for her wedding, against the advice of pretty much everyone. "Sis, it's gross and has the texture of drywall putty; nobody's gonna eat it, just go with the regular frosting so you can serve something actually edible."

"NO I MUST HAVE THE PRETTIEST CAKE AND FONDANT IS PRETTY, EVERYONE WILL EAT IT AND LOVE IT"

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Fondant is a cruel trick someone made up to disappoint children and people ran with it because you can make a cake that looks like it was molded from plastic.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Ferret King posted:

High percentage chocolate comes off as sour or tart to me. I think it's my bitter sense being hosed into submission or something. I like strong coffee but chocolate doesn't sit well with me without plenty of sugar.

You guys should try getting cool mail-order chocolate from https://www.chocosphere.com . There are some amazing brands out there, and wait till you learn to detect the difference between Ecuadorian Arriba and Venezuelan Criollo and all the rest.

It's not candy; a bar will last you a week or two. It's about appreciating the taste for the half-hour or whatever that a chunk of it stays in your mouth and sinuses.

You want tartness and sourness in chocolate? Get yourself a bar of Domori Sambirano 70%. poo poo tastes like sour cherries. So loving great. And then there are the Madagascar single-origins from Valrhona, many of which taste like peanuts. It's a whole new wooooorld

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I can't imagine the reactions you'd get in America if you cut open your wedding cake and underneath the lovely white frosting was fruitcake.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

pookel posted:

I can't imagine the reactions you'd get in America if you cut open your wedding cake and underneath the lovely white frosting was fruitcake.

I think I'd need to do that if I get married and have a huge loving every goddamn member of my stupidly huge family there but I probably won't because gently caress trying to host 300 people.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

If you make your own marshmallow fondant it's actually pretty okay

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Efexeye posted:

If you make your own marshmallow fondant it's actually pretty okay

No, only one way of making things is the only way it's done and I have to hate it forever. :mad:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

You can make anything with fondant; it's edible sculpture!

But buying big sheets of it and draping it over a nice moist cake is a crime.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

pandaK posted:

No issues with quality milk chocolate, but really any good milk chocolate I've had could have been enhanced if it was dark chocolate

Sometimes you just want a creamy taste that lasts and lasts.
Even very good dark choc I find to be too thin and watery sometimes and I just lust for some smooth choc.

But yeah the baseline for good choc here in the UK: Green and Blacks.
It's good chocolate you find literally everywhere here and they make a damned good dark, 70 and 85%.

Should we just rename this thread to PYF Food?

Speaking of Fondant and Fondant like things:
Marzipan is an affront to nature.

And especially:
gently caress dark chocolate marzipans.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Rigged Death Trap posted:

And especially:

Please do not resist the officers of the Interpol Food Crimes Unit (sponsored by Niederegger) as they converge on your location and take you to Bad Food Opinions Jail.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

And especially:

gently caress off to whatever abyss from hell you climbed out of, you imp.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Tree Goat posted:

Please do not resist the officers of the Interpol Food Crimes Unit (sponsored by Niederegger) as they converge on your location and take you to Bad Food Opinions Jail.

I sense deep bias and corruption in their offices.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Hey man, some of us are still posting disturbing food pics.

And especially:

:frogout:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

I'm trying to figure out what this is, and I just can't do it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
90% sure it's either sheep or goat head.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Schubalts posted:

I'm trying to figure out what this is, and I just can't do it.

I guessed jambalaya but who the gently caress knows

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I guessed jambalaya but who the gently caress knows

From the okra I thought gumbo, but turns out it is
http://www.goodiesfirst.com/2009/04/sunday-night-special-fish-head-curry.html

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Is Hershey's the one that literally tastes like vomit because they use the acid that gives puke its flavour as a preservative?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yepper

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

The middle search is cracking me up.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

pookel posted:

My dad eats 95% chocolate by preference and is not a hipster or health food weirdo. Then again, he also chews aspirin when he takes them because he likes the taste, so he is a bit odd.

Your father has pica

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

The middle search is cracking me up.

I know you meant the "so good" one, but I want to believe you meant the "pip" one. STOP TRYING TO MAKE "PIP" HAPPEN, HERSHEY.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010

Sometimes you just want a creamy taste that lasts and lasts.
Even very good dark choc I find to be too thin and watery sometimes and I just lust for some smooth choc.

But yeah the baseline for good choc here in the UK: Green and Blacks.
It's good chocolate you find literally everywhere here and they make a damned good dark, 70 and 85%.

And especially:

In some of my cake decorating books it talks about coating the cake in both marzipan and fondant. I really have no idea.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

There's some poor Hershey intern searching that again and again to drive the puke-tasters out of the limelight.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

pookel posted:

I'd hit the next living thing I saw regardless of gender, age, species, whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

I absolutely admit it looks awful. But I bet that stuff is amazing, and I loathe okra. The little nuggets of meat in a fish face are some of the best bites, and curry is almost synonymous with "good."

Ed: read the article, so I guess it wasn't amazing, but I still imagine what could have been.

Dickey Butts has a new favorite as of 04:01 on Jun 5, 2015

• Locked thread