Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

TheFallenEvincar posted:

So...I can't tell if these posts are recommending Dollop or not.
Guess I'll just go check it out.

p.s. Whistlestop and You Must Remember This remain pretty decent. I'm not one of those serial killer-interested guys necessarily and the details are already known and gruesome to me, but You Must Remember This is doing a pretty good multi-parter on the Manson family and Hollywood right now.

p.p.s. FREE BRIAN DUNNING

I recommend it highly. Also please listen to The Cereal Men episode. You'll never look at oatmeal and corn flakes the same way again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I loaded up YMRT and the title for their first Manson epi was "What We Talk About When We Talk About The Manson Murders" which is a terrible omen.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Hmmyeah I didn't like the vibe I got just from looking at the ymrt website and the episode titles. Not saying they couldn't be great, but they're not really a top priority right now.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, and I mean, nothing about her coverage of the "dark side of the hippie revolution" and Charles Manson is particularly revelatory or presented in any new/fresh terms (especially if you're familiar with the subject already)...but I dunno, I guess she's a decent enough host and it's not like I can listen to non-Dunning-hosted Skeptoid instead (which is a bummer because it's like "Coool, a new episode on Jade Helm 15 :lol: ...oh yeah it's just voiced by a non-Dunningsmugvoice guest host like every other non-listener-feedback-ep", I miss the douche already :( )
I definitely wouldn't call YMRT a top priority in general, but hey, my podcast library is always looking for fresh blood so it's nice noise to put on sometimes when I feel like washing the dishes while a lady talks to me about Bob Hope or Charles Manson being molested as a child. :saddowns:

...Time to try Dollop.

It's at least thrilling to be able to go back from Revolutions and have the entirety of The History of Rome to catch up on, but that's dulled when a ton of them are lower quality quiet audio that you can't blast. That's kind of a bummer with a lot of podcasts I listen to, random episodes with dulled or lower quality audio, my bare minimum is that you be loud when I have you on at full volume dammit. :argh: At least I can hear a fairly loud voice talking about Charles Manson, not a man whispering about the Severans. This happens with random episodes of Skeptoid too. Like, before you even start a podcast please make sure your voice is recorded as loud and comprehensible as possible...

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 4, 2015

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

The dollop is pretty drat entertaining. Thank you dude who linked it.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
To be fair, this YMRT series so far is much more about LA/Hollywood in the late '60s, with a specific focus on Charles Manson, which makes it way more interesting to me at least. Also, if anyone didn't know, Karina Longworth is currently dating Rian Johnson, which is pretty drat cool for both of them.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Dollop is legit good and I'm glad they're biweekly because I blaze through them quickly.

I recommend the episode on Colonial Teeth :getin:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

GraPar posted:

To be fair, this YMRT series so far is much more about LA/Hollywood in the late '60s, with a specific focus on Charles Manson, which makes it way more interesting to me at least. Also, if anyone didn't know, Karina Longworth is currently dating Rian Johnson, which is pretty drat cool for both of them.

This is a really strange thing to get hung up on but her delivery of "Join me, won't you?" in the opening of every episode weirds me out. She sounds so... insincere. I feel like maybe it's a parody of something that I don't know.

I've listened to the Chaplin, Disney and John Wayne ones so far and I enjoyed the episodes themselves.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

GraPar posted:

:lol: for a second my brain decided Rian Johnson was J Gordon-Levitt and it was like, drat you go Karina :bigtran:
I wish she wouldn't repeat the same ad like twice an episode, but for some reason hearing her describing foreign films gives me the chuckles so I guess I don't really mind.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
About halfway through the Dollop about Comstock and its entertaining. Definitely not a thorough take on the subject but it's fun to listen to.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Dollop is legit good and I'm glad they're biweekly because I blaze through them quickly.

I recommend the episode on Colonial Teeth :getin:

First episode I listened to was the Philadelphia fans episode. poo poo was hilarious.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
Funny how each different podcast seems to take a little time to lock in to my brain - I'm a HH junkie, but the first 5 minutes listening to The Dollop was offputting, as someone mentioned earlier it's like stumbling on wacky morning DJ stuff, but it really grows on you quickly. History of Rome was like that too, after experiencing The Dollop it felt like someone was reading stereo instructions to me, but now I'm hooked on the depth and clarity of the narrative.

Having said that, gently caress Sword and Scale, that guy is just an rear end in a top hat with an agenda.

Speaking of HH, it's interesting to listen to the changes in production over the time Carlin's been doing it. I listened to a real early show the other day, I think it was the Bronze Age collapse / Nineveh one, but he had some goofy voice-changer pitch shift on the quotations which freaked me right out when it came in out of nowhere. Even the newer-older ones like Punic Nightmares use a touch of reverb on the quotations that I don't pick up on in the Armageddon shows, and a lot more soundscaping with audio effects in the background.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The Dollop is usually awesome but can occasionally be quite frustrating because Dave and Gary are kind of morons.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Rodyle posted:

The Dollop is usually awesome but can occasionally be quite frustrating because Dave and Gary are kind of morons.

I loved them googling Talleyrand and deciding he was a restaurant.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

The Dollop is more of a comedy podcast discussing historical topics than a history podcast presented comedically. The basic premise is it's two comedians who know jack poo poo about history, with one researching hilariously hosed up topics and telling them to the other who knows even less.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Antti posted:

This is a really strange thing to get hung up on but her delivery of "Join me, won't you?" in the opening of every episode weirds me out. She sounds so... insincere. I feel like maybe it's a parody of something that I don't know.

I've listened to the Chaplin, Disney and John Wayne ones so far and I enjoyed the episodes themselves.

MST3K used to do the "Join us, won't you?" line in the exact same way, but I've never figured out what it's a reference to.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The_Raven posted:

Speaking of HH, it's interesting to listen to the changes in production over the time Carlin's been doing it. I listened to a real early show the other day, I think it was the Bronze Age collapse / Nineveh one, but he had some goofy voice-changer pitch shift on the quotations which freaked me right out when it came in out of nowhere. Even the newer-older ones like Punic Nightmares use a touch of reverb on the quotations that I don't pick up on in the Armageddon shows, and a lot more soundscaping with audio effects in the background.

That reminds me, My History Can Beat Up Your Politics guy keeps doing accents and they're too decent to be hilarious but too terrible to be enjoyable. I think he's toned it down in the newer shows though. There's a Greatest Hits type feed I found on Podcast Republic that has things like Umbrella Man that I quite enjoyed but he keeps doing a Winston Churchill impression when quoting.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
WWI would be funnier if Carlin took a hit of helium every time before quoting.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
On The Dollop I'm listening to The Rube right now. Holy poo poo go listen to that, even if you don't like baseball.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Swagger Dagger posted:

MST3K used to do the "Join us, won't you?" line in the exact same way, but I've never figured out what it's a reference to.

Generic 1970s kids' shows and public television documentary type programs, I believe.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The Dollop definitely works for me when I'm picking an episode subject I'm really blurry on or don't know enough (which might make it obnoxious) about.
"I'm not part of the system. I'm just a loving maoist maaaan!"
"It's OFF message!"

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 5, 2015

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rodyle posted:

Yeah, when they get into politics I want to say, "Don't be on my side guys."

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Just listened to Dollop's "Mike the Chcken" episode. :stare:
Holy poo poo.
Came to edit, but I'll leave it since Mike has no eyes.

Captain Shortbus fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jun 6, 2015

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
To be honest, Mike and Gary (Gareth) have a surprisingly good sense of judgment in politics than a lot of people who are actually in the field.

Also, Gareth in the podcast is really quick witted and funny, I really wish he'd carry that into his standup because his standup is totally devoid of the charm he has on the podcast itself.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 6, 2015

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

On The Dollop I'm listening to The Rube right now. Holy poo poo go listen to that, even if you don't like baseball.

If you glossed over this poster's direction you should remedy that right away. Holy crap.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
The Michael Malloy (Iron Mike) episode of the Dollop is also a favourite of mine.

Edit - mostly because I really enjoy their doofy Irish accents

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 6, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Episode 83 - Boxer Tim "The Doc" Anderson is really good because Dave actually knows his stuff on that one.

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, when they get into politics I want to say, "Don't be on my side guys."

I dunno they seem to be pretty well aligned with D&D lefties as far as having a disdain for capitalism.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

"Oh god I gotta fight him?!"
:lol:
Rube Waddell is my new hero

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Holy poo poo the Rube episode is downright amazing.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Rube Waddell might have been the legit second coming of Christ
Maybe!
He saved more people...

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I wanna be Rube Wadell when I grow up.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I made my wife listen to it and she lost her poo poo at the firetruck stuff. Possibly the most entertaining hour of podcasting that exists.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I made my wife listen to it and she lost her poo poo at the firetruck stuff. Possibly the most entertaining hour of podcasting that exists.

I started crying with the puppy. Just thinking about it now it makes me laugh.

Seriously if you haven't listened to this podcast please do.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
All the sports episodes are great. Philly Fans and 10 cent beer night are also amazing.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I sort of wish they do another Reverse Dollops. It's not that American History aren't interesting (it's not, my country's is far more interesting), but I sort of wish the Dollop can do something about other countries' histories. Like, their live episodes on the historical comedies of Australia are good, I want more of that.

Basically I'm asking if there's a "Dollop" that covers other countries.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

toanoradian posted:

I sort of wish they do another Reverse Dollops. It's not that American History aren't interesting (it's not, my country's is far more interesting), but I sort of wish the Dollop can do something about other countries' histories. Like, their live episodes on the historical comedies of Australia are good, I want more of that.

Basically I'm asking if there's a "Dollop" that covers other countries.

There's a goon-made podcast all about weird Australian history if you want more of that called Last Stop to Nowhere. Not as funny as The Dollop, of course, but plenty of interesting topics that you'd never hear of. They rebooted their podcast in the past year and I haven't listened to the new version yet, though the old one was enjoyable...

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe

Random Stranger posted:

There's a goon-made podcast all about weird Australian history if you want more of that called Last Stop to Nowhere. Not as funny as The Dollop, of course, but plenty of interesting topics that you'd never hear of. They rebooted their podcast in the past year and I haven't listened to the new version yet, though the old one was enjoyable...

Last Stop to Nowhere is great. I'm pretty behind now, but it's so interesting. Australian history is even crazier than one would expect, and I had no idea before starting to listen to this podcast.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

I dunno they seem to be pretty well aligned with D&D lefties as far as having a disdain for capitalism.
"You made a dude cut off his balls and eat himself! It's THAAAAANKSGIIIVING!" :lol:

best doofy Dollop accents are them doing the British colonists doing horrific bullshit

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Post Serial, I though I could listen to some more true crime, so gave Criminal a go.

Honestly not feeling it. I appreciate they've gone for broad remit, not everything has to be a big dramatic case, and so they do smaller stories. But a "romance scam" that the victim doesn't fall for long before any scam element is even raised?

The sound is strange too - the announcers flat modulated lead-in voice is exactly the same as she uses when talking to people, so it sounds like it was all assembled in postproduction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

TheFallenEvincar posted:

"You made a dude cut off his balls and eat himself! It's THAAAAANKSGIIIVING!" :lol:
That whole episode was great for Gareth verbally cringing with every new detail (more than usual).