Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Inglonias posted:

Pete Murray is playing X-COM: UFO Defense on Firaxis' twitch channel.

Open stream -> Auto shot misses alien 10 feets away :xcom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Thyrork posted:

Heres hoping that it happens like that! :vince:

I kinda want to see ADVENT being the ones using all the old-school X-COM tactics.

XCOM rebels hiding a building? Level it.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Cowcaster posted:

Oh when I said first xcom I meant the 2012 xcom. Because that's the first xcom.

You can differentiate them by spelling XCOM (2012) and X-Com (before).

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Kennel posted:

Open stream -> Auto shot misses alien 10 feets away :xcom:

Tuned in just in time to see Jake get sniped out of the darkness, and Garth being the first to breach the ufo (with predictable results)

Classic XCOM

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Zigmidge posted:

Silent Storm was extremely the poo poo.
I really wanted to like this game but I gave up like half-way through the first real mission because the enemy turns would take like a minute+ each time and I hated waiting. :(

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Kibayasu posted:

Ron Perlman tells me one thing. David Hayter tells me another. I don't know who to believe any more.

Back a few pages and absolutely unrelated to anything important, but my Strategic Studies MA professors all made very clear that "War Never Changes" is the accurate view of things.

anyway does anyone have a picture of a snekwoman getting caught in the shower and looking embarrassed

like i just want to see it for a few laffs haha

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

I'm hoping that as the campaign progresses you really do become seen as freedom fighters and it switches from the guerrilla style tactics at the start of the game to more like XCOM as we know it once you start gaining widespread support etc.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

For thos ewho play Long war, how do you tweak fatigue? I'd like to try Long War again, but I want to edit a few things and 5 days for fatigue is bullshit.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

PiCroft posted:

For thos ewho play Long war, how do you tweak fatigue? I'd like to try Long War again, but I want to edit a few things and 5 days for fatigue is bullshit.

There's a percentage slider you can modify in the ini. 100 is normal, 50 is half normal etc. You can also manually alter how much fatigue each level of officer adds (default 12) and how much fatigue each gene mod/psi power adds (the last line in their individual entries at the bottom).

The ini is really, really clearly labeled. Just search for fatigue. I usually do 70% fatigue and mod out an increases for Officer/Psi/Gene because thats stupid as gently caress.

Do note that MEC fatigue is higher than a regular soldier but there's no real way to mess with it in the ini. You have to really dig into the guts for that and I have no idea where its stored.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm good with X-COM 2 involving demolition optional objectives. Was incredibly satisfying to salvo-fire rockets into the paper office to dig out the last Exalt sniper who declined to charge into the wall of laser overwatch that killed twenty of his buddies. Took five rockets firing blindly at and into the building to produce the desired red smear on the ground.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

this is amazing

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
:ughh:

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I thought when the aliens took over a country it turned into a blood hurricane yet the trailer looks like a pretty good day weather wise.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Uncle Jam posted:

I thought when the aliens took over a country it turned into a blood hurricane yet the trailer looks like a pretty good day weather wise.

Apparently they turn the country into a bunch of snake fuckers. I'd take the blood hurricane.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

GyverMac posted:

What I dont get is why a stealthy underdog freedom fighter outfit would choose a big flying target as their home base.

Aside from that, I hope they are going all in with the partisan fighter theme though. Make it so that you need to steal poo poo to survive; choose between a simple raiding mission because you need the money, or go for a high risk assault on some research station to maybe get your hand on some sweet prototype weapons and/or equipment.
Also there should be a metagame rewards for these high risk missions. IE take out a Ufo docking base and the alien airpower in that area will suffer as a result, or sabotage some cloning vats to lower the chance of a specific enemy type to appear in the next few missions.

I think they mentioned it was a retrofitted UFO they captured early in the first war and those things are pretty hard to detect. So I imagine that lacking funding to maintain the original underground base running they mounted one ridiculous final attack on a landed battleship, traded a large number of soldiers(since they weren't equipped properly) for the ship then went all-in on converting it into a mobile base, then started from there. Even technologically outmatched I could see them still taking down a battleship if they invested all their resources into it, especially if the aliens weren't expecting XCOM to go crazy on a mission like that.

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009

Iron Twinkie posted:

I hope some of the maps give us an idea of how the rest of humanity is living outside of these pristine alien cities. I'm thinking along the lines of tent cities in the forest, claustrophobic shanty towns, and run down subway stations converted to living space.

During the end of the trailer you definitely see something resembling shanty towns, having missions there seem like a great way to add some extra variety to the game. Maybe you'll be sent down there to stop some old fashioned abductions.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

bitcoin bastard posted:

Apparently they turn the country into a bunch of snake fuckers. I'd take the blood hurricane.

Well yeah, less competition for my snek loving that way.

Also I thought they said the Avenger was converted from an alien cargo ship, not a battleship or something. Could be XCOM just got lucky and found one fairly undermanned or something and managed to hide it before they could either use it effectively or tear it apart for parts and tech. Figuring the thing out and retrofitting it into a mobile base sounds like the kind of thing which could take up a good chunk of twenty years as well, especially with the chaos the organization presumably fell into during surrender.

e; ^ and yeah I'd be very surprised if shanty towns aren't a part of the game. Probably go in to stop abductions like you say, or just prevent general ADVENT repression, maybe you'll have objectives like "They've sniffed out a weapons cache of ours, get it out before they find it." for some loot, and "We've found an operative from the original XCOM still alive here - so have the aliens. Extract him before they can kill him." and you get a new guy with a couple of levels already under his belt. :ssh: It's Van Doorn

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 4, 2015

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

it would be cool if they let you set who you want your over watch to target.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

bitcoin bastard posted:

"If this is glimpse of our future, I want no part of it."
                                                                     /

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Roobanguy posted:

That and letting you customize the path would be great. Trained soldiers should be smart enough to avoid the obviously toxic cloud that Thin Men create.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Mad Pills posted:

During the end of the trailer you definitely see something resembling shanty towns, having missions there seem like a great way to add some extra variety to the game. Maybe you'll be sent down there to stop some old fashioned abductions.

Wild West mod :woop:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Roobanguy posted:

Part of the challenge of the XCOM was having all 4 of your team on overwatch shoot at the one grey alien, and then getting brutally murdered by the three others behind it.

Lord Lambeth posted:

That and letting you customize the path would be great. Trained soldiers should be smart enough to avoid the obviously toxic cloud that Thin Men create.

What are you talking about here? You control your squad's movement.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Mad Pills posted:

That crater used to be a town

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

waitwhatno posted:

Holy poo poo, that's absolutely crazy. There is this crazy complicated 3D aiming system and yet accuracy doesn't depend on distance?

Nah, it does depend on distance, mainly because if you don't roll a perfect shot the bullet will scatter, and when it scatters, being closer means you're more likely to score the hit. (sometimes even a roll that should definately hit can miss, I believe, because of wonky projectile math)

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Drifter posted:

Part of the challenge of the XCOM was having all 4 of your team on overwatch shoot at the one grey alien, and then getting brutally murdered by the three others behind it.

if they made it so you could set overwatch orders, like "soldier 1 shoots at sectoid, if not killed soldier 2 shoots at sectoid" that would also be cool.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

TescoBag posted:

I'm hoping that as the campaign progresses you really do become seen as freedom fighters and it switches from the guerrilla style tactics at the start of the game to more like XCOM as we know it once you start gaining widespread support etc.

It'd be cool if the main armada left and the aliens on earth a "just" an occupation force that's mainly concerned with research and suppression. Then you could take real objectives and free whole cities as you progress through the story until you finally liberate Earth... And the armada comes back.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Roobanguy posted:

if they made it so you could set overwatch orders, like "soldier 1 shoots at sectoid, if not killed soldier 2 shoots at sectoid" that would also be cool.

Better for the overall game, but I loving love murdering Thin Men who drop in with 5 person overwatch.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

It'd be cool if the main armada left and the aliens on earth a "just" an occupation force that's mainly concerned with research and suppression. Then you could take real objectives and free whole cities as you progress through the story until you finally liberate Earth... And the armada comes back.

with an ending screen that says "Buy X:COM EU/EW to continue the fight!"

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

XCom 3 confirmed.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

XCOM3: Enemy Vaguely Familiar

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Drifter posted:

If you wanted to go to square X he was always going to take route Y, even if it exposed him to alien fire, there were definately times you would need to break a route down over multiple turns instead of doing a valid, smart move because you couldn't subdivide an action.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

fspades posted:

Surprised nobody mentioned this little tidbit: Floors and ceilings are entirely destructible now. :woop:

X-COM: Apocalypse had swords too. Truly the best X-Com.

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009

Donnerberg posted:

Aliens looked like something you would find in a box of cornflakes though.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Guys the hype snake tits made me re-install XCOM.

I'm about to start an Ironman game. Help.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

WarLocke posted:

rip in piss, i will send goondolences to your survivors

(okay we got that bullshit out of the way)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Donnerberg posted:

Honestly there are a lot of awesome things about Apocalypse. Like being able to send multiple cars/planes with troops to invade buildings, outfitting your weird group of vehicles, the crazy cool way interception was handled, Robot and Hybrid agents....

If more of the political stuff worked, and they fixed some of the bigger annoyances with invading the other dimension, it would probably be my favorite X-Com. As it is, XCOM: Enemy Within nudges it out mostly because MECs and a better tactical game.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ShineDog posted:

If you wanted to go to square X he was always going to take route Y, even if it exposed him to alien fire, there were definately times you would need to break a route down over multiple turns instead of doing a valid, smart move because you couldn't subdivide an action.
One of the ign press things said that you control your soldier's pathing now.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
plasma swords

one thing that was cool was knock out damage. If you threw stun gas or whatever it would make this gray bar go up, once it hit your hp you passed out. But other things caused that as well. So you could have a barely alive alien and shoot explosives at it, and miss and kill a bunch of civvies, but the concussion knocks out the alien and you win. There was that big rear end 2x2 sized alien and I remember just streaming out a hailstorm of grapple claws at it, like 45 shots over a few turns

Or you can jump off a ledge onto an alien and instantly knock it out

also if you were a true badass you could do poo poo like shoot brainsuckers off somebody's head, or if you had a guy who was a real juggernaut he could just get brainsucked but fight it off and live. I had a guy do that like three times in a row once.

Androids should have been invulnerable to brainsucking though gently caress that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ShineDog posted:

Oh god, I forgot about the two turn movement thing. Yeah, you're absolutely right. But I think that's part of the environmental challenge to the game, no? Sacrifice between free movement and safety and et cetera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

WarLocke posted:

WarLocke posted:

YOu're doing Long War, right?

• Locked thread