Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Zikan posted:

I don't think any number of image consultants can save a guy who thinks

is a great selfie.

Sugar.... More. More. More.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Let me help you: writhing about Hillary's elect-ability is stupid. Yes, she lost 2008, but just about anyone would have. Feel free, however, to support other people running and keep pressing Hillary on the issues because its good for elective politics. Just be aware that Hillary would have to literally eat a dead baby that she cut from Chelsea's womb on live television to gently caress the primary up.

The general is more dicey because Americans are dumb and have dumb ideas about how government works, but she's at worst 50/50 to roll through that, and stands a way better chance of mobilizing a coalition to defeat [Bad Republican Nominee ] than any one else in the Democratic field.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I'm not saying 'there's no way Bush can win', but I am saying Bush is looking like one of the weaker serious candidates.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Let me help you: writhing about Hillary's elect-ability is stupid. Yes, she lost 2008, but just about anyone would have.

Also: entirely possible that she wouldn't have if Michigan and Florida were scheduled within the DNC rules a few weeks later, which can't be blamed on her campaign.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Warcabbit posted:

I'm not saying 'there's no way Bush can win', but I am saying Bush is looking like one of the weaker serious candidates.

I generally think he's a bad candidate for Republicans, but then all of them are tbf. I think Jeb wins the same way Mitt did -- by not being completely crazy or dumb.

Joementum posted:

Also: entirely possible that she wouldn't have if Michigan and Florida were scheduled within the DNC rules a few weeks later, which can't be blamed on her campaign.

Correct.

Also Hillary would have moped the floor with McCain because he's a curmudgeonly old man who's wicked impulsive sometimes. Though, bonus, he would have likely picked Lieberman or Lindsey Graham instead of Sarah.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 4, 2015

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

http://www.businessinsider.com/chris-christie-was-just-named-mvp-at-a-baseball-game-2015-6

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Warcabbit posted:

I agree, but I think there's no way really for any Republican candidate to look particularly strong at the moment when more and more of them just keep coming out of the woodwork to grab the spotlight for the week. Once the real lightweights shake out, he may be able to emerge as a stronger figure (among the remaining slightly less-lightweights).

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Rick Perry's rap rock song

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/listen-rick-perrys-campaign-song-is-a-country-rap-joint-about-rick-perry/

I think it is a winner

quote:

Let me tell you a little story 'bout how I was raised
Every day work, every day pray
God, family, friends, yeah everybody sins
A winner never quits, and a quitter never wins
Helps folks in need, don't fall for greed
A jealous man is weak so think before you speak
If you love 'em let 'em know, if you hate let it go
Fast can be fun, but sometimes you need slow
God is all good, the devil is so real
So listen up y'all 'cause this is how I feel

I won't back up, I don't back down
I've been raised up to stand my ground
Take my job but not my guns
Tax my check till I ain't got none
Except for the good Lord up above
I answer to no one

See I'm a flag flyin' bible totin' son of a gun
Yeah I'm hell on the heart just a rebel on the run
Scared don't know it, fear don't feel it
The truth is the light, sometimes you gotta fight
Good beats bad, right beats wrong
I'm a bar room preacher and this is my song
I'm climbing for the top, representin' for the country
I'm the people's champ right out the deer camp
Shotgun toter, republican voter
Hank Junior supporter, let's protect our border
To hell with anyone who don't believe in the USA
'Cause this is what I say

I answer to no one

Give me my right to vote
My right to tote the weapon of my choice
Don't censor my voice
Hate me if you want or love me if you can
If the truth is what you want then you found your man
I ain't backin' down, I ain't backin' up
If you think like I think, man crank it on up

I answer to no one
I answer to no one

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

No one, and that includes my constituents. gently caress America!

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Weltlich posted:

I've been saying for a while that she's a lot closer to Coakley than a lot of people would like to believe.
- Both she and Coakley have made it policy to avoid as much unscripted engagement with the public and press as possible.
- Both she and Coakley are "presumed winners" by simple existence, not because they bring anything special to the table.
- Both she and Coakley have attempted to gain access to political office not for reasons of service, but so they can build their resumes for higher office.
- Both she and Coakley are proven losers.

I'd agree with all of these points except the last one. Hilary has run for office 3 times in her life and has only lost 1. Her first run for senate was as a carpetbagger in what was a blue state with a republican governor, so it was not a guaranteed win by any means. I think it would be harsh to call her a proven loser, unless she manages to lose the nomination somehow a 2nd time.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I can't even laugh at right-wing attempts to appropriate rap anymore, they just make me cringe with some kind of undefinable embarrassment.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

The Nastier Nate posted:

I'd agree with all of these points except the last one. Hilary has run for office 3 times in her life and has only lost 1. Her first run for senate was as a carpetbagger in what was a blue state with a republican governor, so it was not a guaranteed win by any means. I think it would be harsh to call her a proven loser, unless she manages to lose the nomination somehow a 2nd time.

Martha Coakley only lost the once as well, but people called her a loser because she re-ran for the same thing she'd already lost... much like Hillary.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

eat a dead baby that she cut from Chelsea's womb on live television

Hillary is so brave for standing up for a woman's right to choose! :swoon:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

GlyphGryph posted:

Martha Coakley only lost the once as well, but people called her a loser because she re-ran for the same thing she'd already lost... much like Hillary.

Coakley ran for Senate in 2010 and lost and then ran for Governor in 2014 and lost. Her two campaigns for Attorney General were successful.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Dude to Perry's left looks like he took a nasty punch to the face at some point.

And is still pissed off about it.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

GlyphGryph posted:

Voters can forgive one loss. American politics is full of candidates at every level who ran for office, lost, then ran again and won. After a 2nd loss though it starts to come with some baggage.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Every picture of Sanders looks like he's smothering people with his gross old person breath :(

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

I can't even laugh at right-wing attempts to appropriate rap anymore, they just make me cringe with some kind of undefinable embarrassment.

Some of our candidates (Perry, Bush) are probably strapped 24/7 too!

All they have to do is point out that their Desert Es do, in fact, make Hillarys freeze at a debate.

Just don't let Jindal start freestyling (trust me on this).

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Joementum posted:

[*], Governor of Florida

Please tell me has no realistic shot.

I doubt when they devleoped the concept of term limits they expected the Presidency to be passed around like a hot potato by one lovely family.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The Nastier Nate posted:

Voters can forgive one loss. American politics is full of candidates at every level who ran for office, lost, then ran again and won. After a 2nd loss though it starts to come with some baggage.

Obama lost his first campaign at at national level (Illinois 1st District), clearly a proven loser!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

White people love Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

(Didn't listen to it but that's how the words rhyme in my head)

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

I doubt when they devleoped the concept of term limits they expected the Presidency to be passed around like a hot potato by one lovely family.

Actually, they expressly didn't want one person holding it forever (FDR) and we'd already had a father-son presidential duo and two members of the same family holding the presidency.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

He's the favourite.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

This isn't even the best shot of the night.

You want to sink higher political aspirations? Take a photo like that one.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

RevKrule posted:

:suicide: this is terrifying.

AlouetteNR
Jun 6, 2011
Does anyone else think that Jeb is intentionally shooting his own campaign in the foot, because he recognizes he couldn't win this time around and would rather be a failed primary candidate (keeping options open for a future run) than a failed presidential candidate? He's been incredibly low profile, with everything he puts out being just awful and sinking his polling more and more.

The only reason I could buy that he isn't intentionally self-destructing is that his chances probably wouldn't be better next time around, and in 2024 he would be as old or slightly older than Reagan, which is the age people start worrying about old white politicians ability to not die in office.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
God, I love these candidate profiles The Onion does.

The Onion posted:

Former Texas governor Rick Perry announced Thursday his candidacy for the 2016 presidential election, hoping to fare better than he did in his unsuccessful bid for the Republican nomination in 2012. Here’s what you need to know about Perry:

Campaign Slogan: “I Studied This Time”

Experience: Effectively and efficiently led bungling of 2012 presidential campaign

Policies: Tough on crime, specifically homosexuality

Death Penalty Record: Undefeated, 234-0

Political Base: Unsettling white guys in wraparound Oakleys

Biggest Political Asset: Looks pretty presidential on muted TV at airport

Biggest Liability: Public forums

Greatest Political Accomplishment: Provided underserved minorities and mentally retarded individuals with access to quality executions

Oh, And: Was recently issued felony indictment for abuse of power as Texas governor

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

RevKrule posted:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

GlyphGryph posted:

Coakley is a chronic gently caress-up at the positions she has held. Martha Coakley is pretty "Derp derp derp!" compared to Hillary's tenacity and menace.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

AlouetteNR posted:

Does anyone else think that Jeb is intentionally shooting his own campaign in the foot, because he recognizes he couldn't win this time around and would rather be a failed primary candidate (keeping options open for a future run) than a failed presidential candidate? He's been incredibly low profile, with everything he puts out being just awful and sinking his polling more and more.

The only reason I could buy that he isn't intentionally self-destructing is that his chances probably wouldn't be better next time around, and in 2024 he would be as old or slightly older than Reagan, which is the age people start worrying about old white politicians ability to not die in office.

I do not think he is consciously doing this, no.

I do have a suspicion that he might unconsciously be sabatoging himself though, for a variety of reasons. Though it's still a bit early to tell.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

This is going to be amazing. I'm sorry I don't know how to flip them. Phone posting.

Edit: sorry removed the picture. Can post some later.

He has also appeared.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 4, 2015

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

I think the bigger problem is that it's massively table breaking

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

AlouetteNR posted:

Jeb and Hillary have both been running for the General this whole time, which is why so many people are declaring them to be in trouble. It still way too early in the season for them to seriously be campaigning and the lack of campaigning is being seen as a problem. Hillary effectively has no competition, why should she be doing anything other than cake appearances and fund raising? Opening herself up to the media or the public really isn't going to gain her anything at this point and would only serve to get the attention on her instead of the Republican clown car or the Democratic side show. Neither are things she wants.

Jeb's only real competition is Rubio or possibly, in the event of chaos reigning, Walker. Everyone else is a joke and he's better served raising stupid amounts of money for his Super PAC before officially jumping in. His answers on Iraq definitely were a mess up, and it's quite possible that he's lost his political step being out of the game for so long. However there's very little to actually make a decision on since his focus so far is squirreling away millions and millions of dollars. He's set himself up so that in the event he actually loses to the clown show, he's still going to be a big voice in the election.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus
Since we've been talking logos, Hillary's logo has grown on me now that I've seen what they're doing with it.

I'm still not a huge fan of it in red and blue but I'm not a fan of those colors anyway.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Hillary: Right in the Butt

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Zikan posted:

I don't think any number of image consultants can save a guy who thinks

is a great selfie.
Someone pointed out to me yesterday that Walker is starting to look like this cycle's version of Perry 2012 - looks good on paper, ticks all the boxes, seems like he should be a heavy hitter, but exposed as not-ready-for-prime-time once he hits the campaign trail and people get a look at you.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Weltlich posted:

I've been saying for a while that she's a lot closer to Coakley than a lot of people would like to believe.
- Both she and Coakley have made it policy to avoid as much unscripted engagement with the public and press as possible.
- Both she and Coakley are "presumed winners" by simple existence, not because they bring anything special to the table.
- Both she and Coakley have attempted to gain access to political office not for reasons of service, but so they can build their resumes for higher office.
- Both she and Coakley are proven losers.

If she's who the Dems nominate, then that's the horse we're running. Here's hoping that the "masses of democrats that love Hillary" actually show up to vote.

I would disagree with the last two points. Whether or not she's been resume-building, she's still been pretty good at the jobs she's gotten, and just because she lost a close primary to a guy who was a once-in-a-generation candidate for the Presidency doesn't make her a "proven loser".

Seriously, if the worst that could be said about Hillary was that she's a ladder-climber (it's not, she has more to worry about in terms of negatives), then she'd be in pretty good shape.

Hillary proved that she can, at the very least, win a statewide election and run a semi-competent campaign. Martha Coakley was just...she was singularly inept, and I hope to God that the Massachusetts Democratic Party has learned its lesson after watching her piss away a Senate AND a gubernatorial race.

RevKrule posted:

:stonk: He's loving got a camel toe.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 4, 2015

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
To get away from fat shaming for a minute: Hillary is calling for automatic voter registration on your 18th birthday and mandated 20 days of early voting in all elections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Holy poo poo. I'm super in favor of this. Voting access is the number one problem for the Dems, and that would solve it in one fell swoop.

• Locked thread