Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I will be taking the plunge on scourge of war waterloo next week. Wish me luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Saros posted:

Anyone?

I could try a C:tGW but I'm pretty poo poo at it.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Got a preferred side/year? If so just make the game and post/pm me the name/password.

Oh and make sure you have updated to the 1.6.4 patch it fixes a pretty major issue with entrenching. link

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

jBrereton posted:

Emperor of the Fading Suns is/was sort of this, back in the nineties.

EOFS is what actually prompted the space/ground discussion in the first place.

I love EOFS and would love a modernized remake or spiritual successor. It's one of the projects I'm mooting for after I finish my Aurora LP. (The other project is turning all the tools I wrote to facilitate my Aurora LP into an Aurora-like).

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

bgreman posted:

after I finish my Aurora LP.

See you in about three decades then!

I saw people complaining about the SA paywall on Reddit because it blocks off your LP atm :mmmhmm:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Koesj posted:

See you in about three decades then!

I saw people complaining about the SA paywall on Reddit because it blocks off your LP atm :mmmhmm:

Meh it's no dangan rompa.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Panzeh posted:

I will be taking the plunge on scourge of war waterloo next week. Wish me luck.

Good luck you stupid bastard. Good luck and Godspeed.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

bgreman posted:

(The other project is turning all the tools I wrote to facilitate my Aurora LP into an Aurora-like).

Mind going into a little detail?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
When I first started the LP, I was taking screenshots of all the important screens and presenting those to the thread so they could keep tabs on the UN's status. Taking those screenshots got to be most of the time I'd spend writing, so I decided to work on something to extract the data directly from the database.

I have a .NET application that reads from the Aurora "savefile" (really just a password-protected MS Access database) and spits out the relevant information to JSON.

I had a friend write up some quick php pages to display the JSON, which means I've essentially replicated (albeit in read-only format) many portions of the Aurora UI (you can see it here). The .NET application also contains the beginnings of an object model for the important Aurora data entities.

Other than Steve and some of the oldest of the old pentarch forumites, I'm probably the foremost expert on the Aurora 5.62 database schema, and have enough code in place that I could probably bang out a direct C# port of the game within a few months if I worked on it regularly.

There's some other stuff in the solution as well: a utilities assembly containing a bunch of classes for handling things like Aurora Time and database enums, an aborted armor penetration simulator, a ground combat simulator, an intercept calculator, and about ten minutes worth of work on a WinForms UI for the game.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 1, 2015

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

bgreman posted:

When I first started the LP, I was taking screenshots of all the important screens and presenting those to the thread so they could keep tabs on the UN's status. Taking those screenshots got to be most of the time I'd spend writing, so I decided to work on something to extract the data directly from the database.

I have a .NET application that reads from the Aurora "savefile" (really just a password-protected MS Access database) and spits out the relevant information to JSON.

I had a friend write up some quick php pages to display the JSON, which means I've essentially replicated (albeit in read-only format) many portions of the Aurora UI (you can see it here). The .NET application also contains the beginnings of an object model for the important Aurora data entities.

Other than Steve and some of the oldest of the old pentarch forumites, I'm probably the foremost expert on the Aurora 5.62 database schema, and have enough code in place that I could probably bang out a direct C# port of the game within a few months if I worked on it regularly.

There's some other stuff in the solution as well: a utilities assembly containing a bunch of classes for handling things like Aurora Time and database enums, an aborted armor penetration simulator, a ground combat simulator, an intercept calculator, and about ten minutes worth of work on a WinForms UI for the game.

I just started reading your thread a couple of days ago, I'm on page 4. It looks good (I had never heard of Aurora before).

Also, you should work with Baloogan and your respective tool sets to integrate CMANO for use in planetary combat in Aurora. :)

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

bgreman posted:

Wow, really quite impressive!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Decisive Campaigns update: I've come to the decision that the more reports there are at the start of the turn, the worse things went for you.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

What would the best/any way be of creating a target practice barge in Aurora? I need to try out my rocket designs without waiting for another race to come and curbstomp my survey ships.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Mokotow posted:

What would the best/any way be of creating a target practice barge in Aurora? I need to try out my rocket designs without waiting for another race to come and curbstomp my survey ships.

Design the ship, create another faction, SM the ship into existence, and then transfer it to the new race.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
For you Android people, my buddy just released a wargame called "Wartime Cronies". From just checking it out a bit, it looks great.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cad.ww.android

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

And they said Venus was impossible to terraform in Aurora :smug:

Sure it's taken me 90 years and cost a massive amount of time and resources building / towing a network of terraforming space stations around the planet, but that's the price of progress goddamnit.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

For you Android people, my buddy just released a wargame called "Wartime Cronies". From just checking it out a bit, it looks great.

This is fantastic.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Is he planning an ios release?

COOL CORN posted:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Is he planning an ios release?

Someone asked him on Facebook, to which the answer was no.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

According to Reddit you can get a second locked country for free by selecting it and tapping the flag above the name five times.

Haven't tried it yet till I figure out who to use it for...

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

According to Reddit you can get a second locked country for free by selecting it and tapping the flag above the name five times.

Haven't tried it yet till I figure out who to use it for...

Works. This is a pretty neat game so far, but not having a friends list and being able to challenge people directly is a bit dumb.

Edit: holy flying poo poo, a Slitherine Humble Bundle: https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Drone fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 4, 2015

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Slitherine Bundle!

Close Combat! Qvadriga! Rise of Prussia! and more!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

What is the world coming to?!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Riso posted:

Slitherine Bundle!

This is unbelievable. I thought these companies didn't know how sales worked, let alone the humble freaking bundle. $10 for Close Combat is a steal, but with the other games I just feel bad.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
That's really cool. I guess they're finally realising there's a whole massive market of people like me that are happy to take a risk on a game if it's not ridiculously overpriced.

I was stoked to finally get Distant Worlds the other day.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Grognard Games Megathread - stop making me want this I do not have :tenbux:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I kinda wonder how the diehard grogs on the Matrix forums are reacting to this, after all their grousing and sneering about how Matrix's high prices are BACKED BY DATA and anyone who wants lower prices are filthy communists.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Nice.

Qvadriga is fun if anyone is wondering. It's like a really simple fast-playing adaptation of Circus Maximus.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Riso posted:

Slitherine Bundle!

I'm all over this. Thanks for mentioning it. I've been wanting to grab Rise of Prussia since I felt like I got the hang of AGEOD games a few weeks ago. (after having one for like a two years)

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Wow, a bundle was pretty unexpected. How's the CC game?

In other news, Matrix have some kind of convention in Italy 23rd-25th of June and they'll be talking about the price of their games and do modern games need counters(Which I wonder if it is related to HoI4 to not having them)?

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 4, 2015

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

Darkrenown posted:

do modern games need counters(Which I wonder if it is related to HoI4 to not having them)?

I'm not even really a grog gamer, but I really think NATO counters are a lot cleaner than what most studios use instead (Even you, Paradox).

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Darkrenown posted:

Wow, a bundle was pretty unexpected. How's the CC game?

It isn't the best Close Combat, but its still pretty good.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Obstacle2 posted:

I'm all over this. Thanks for mentioning it. I've been wanting to grab Rise of Prussia since I felt like I got the hang of AGEOD games a few weeks ago. (after having one for like a two years)

Rise of Prussia is pretty solid as wargames go. It is also one of their simpler systems so it's definitely playable and a good gateway to AGEOD in general.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

corn in the bible posted:

Rise of Prussia is pretty solid as wargames go. It is also one of their simpler systems so it's definitely playable and a good gateway to AGEOD in general.

I'm going to give this a shot soon. I got Civil War II a while ago and have really struggled with it so maybe this will help.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

COOL CORN posted:

Seems cool.

I'm on there as BrosifBallin if anyone wants to try a game out.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
gently caress yeah, Close Combat and Rise of Prussia. Too bad Hell isnt the iPad version. I have some already so PM me for Battle Academy (super fun steel panthers for babies) or Frontline Moscow (panzer general but not).

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Anyone tried the new WeGo space game from Slitherine? I can't remember the name (something really dumb), but it looked like an interesting way to do space combat and is fairly reasonably priced - unfortunately I've been burned on buying grog games based on interesting surface appearances before, so I'm hesitant about getting it sight unseen.

Edit: The name is Star Hammer: The Vanguard Prophecy, which is so bad it makes me nervous about the actual game quality.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Goetta posted:

I'm going to give this a shot soon. I got Civil War II a while ago and have really struggled with it so maybe this will help.

I can sympathize. My first AGEOD product was Pride of Nations, and I still have no idea how to play it. RoP is a lot more manageable, and I moved on from there to AJE and TEAW.

PoN remains incomprehensible.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Tomn posted:

I kinda wonder how the diehard grogs on the Matrix forums are reacting to this, after all their grousing and sneering about how Matrix's high prices are BACKED BY DATA and anyone who wants lower prices are filthy communists.

A dude on the Slitherine forums believes any game on steam isn't a game. I too enjoy actively rooting against a favorite hobby of mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I'd never played a Close Combat game before and I'm really enjoying Caen, this is a good deal.