Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
"If you don't let the handicapped be used as dirt-cheap labor, undeserving of regular wages because they are lesser people than regular workers, then who is the real villain here, "liberal"?" :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

JeffersonClay posted:

I will try and provide a microfoundational example here. John has Down syndrome. John needs a $20/hr wage to support himself. John is capable of producing $10/hr in value for an employer. It would be better for society to allow John to work at $10/hr and subsidize the rest of his existence than to try and force an employer to lose at least $10/hr by employing him, because this would likely result in John being unemployed. The higher you raise the minimum wage, the more people will be in exactly the same situation as John. Not all people are capable of producing more than is required to sustain them and that's OK. Having the government pass a law will not magically make John capable of producing as much as he needs to live.

There's a good reason to allow John to be employed at $10/hr and making his job illegal would be unethical.

OMFG is it a graph or not? The content has nothing to do with what we're talking about.

This was how indentured servitude was justified :ohdear:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also hiring disabled people even though they are not tip loving top of productivity is a good end in itself as it promotes diversity and health communities and arrghh.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

As I said, it would be data if we were collecting the opinions of people in this thread about their models about raising the minimum wage for another purpose.

Does his graph do a good job of displaying that data point?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i respect cripples enough to let them work for whatever wages they are willing to accept. why are you a bigot who wants to coddle them with a mandated wage floor? don't you think they're capable of making their own way in the world? this hospice mentality simply demonstrates that you are the clear ableist

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

JeffersonClay posted:

Graph chat led directly to you making this statement, which I have subsequently demolished.

:ironicat:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

euphronius posted:

Also hiring disabled people even though they are not tip loving top of productivity is a good end in itself as it promotes diversity and health communities and arrghh.

And from a more practical point -- or cynical? -- means more of their incoming is coming from earned labor as opposed to government assistance.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i respect cripples enough to let them work for whatever wages they are willing to accept. why are you a bigot who wants to coddle them with a mandated wage floor? don't you think they're capable of making their own way in the world? this hospice mentality simply demonstrates that you are the clear ableist

but sir, they would rather DIE than go to the cripples home!

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

down with slavery posted:

That's not a good reason to allow John to be employed at $10/hr, it's a good reason to not allow the disabled to continue to be exploited by allowing for minimum wage exemptions. If you want to incentivize the hiring of the disabled provide a government tax credit, don't just pay them less. There's no reason a disabled individual should make less than a living wage either.

OK, so you think there's an important ethical difference between the government subsidizing john's existence and calling it welfare (bad) and the government subsidizing john's existence and calling it a wage subsidy (good). That's crazy.

quote:

The entire point of a living wage is to ensure the populace can survive comfortably while employed. Why shouldn't John be able to survive comfortably? Because he has Downs? Pretty disgusting imo. Which surprise, leads me back to where we started. It's simply unethical to allow someone to hire an individual for less than a living wage. It's effectively wage slavery.

John should be able survive comfortably. Making it illegal for him to work at a wage that an employer might actually hire him at does not help him to survive comfortably.
If the government is subsidizing John's wage, that, by definition, allows a company to hire an individual for less than a living wage.

euphronius posted:

It doesnt work like this in the real world.

So in your world there must exist some perfect job where everyone, no matter what their level of skill or ability, will be able to have an hourly productivity that is equal to or above whatever you define as a living wage? Just world fallacy.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

People keep saying that literally no one doubts that the minimum wage must have negative consequences at a sufficiently high level and you just keep proving them wrong.

I don't think I ever said it was impossible for the minimum wage to cause unemployment, I'm just saying there are several other possibilities that are likely as well and to pretend like yours is the only rational or likely one is stupid.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Who What Now posted:

"If you don't let the handicapped be used as dirt-cheap labor, undeserving of regular wages because they are lesser people than regular workers, then who is the real villain here, "liberal"?" :smugdog:

You can legislate a minimum wage. You can't legislate that companies hire employees at a loss. I'm sorry if reality gives you bad feelies but a minimum wage increase is likely to result in john's unemployment.

Remember all the times I told you to stop slurring oppressed people? Stop slurring oppressed people.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

JeffersonClay posted:

OK, so you think there's an important ethical difference between the government subsidizing john's existence and calling it welfare (bad) and the government subsidizing john's existence and calling it a wage subsidy (good). That's crazy.

John should be able survive comfortably. Making it illegal for him to work at a wage that an employer might actually hire him at does not help him to survive comfortably.
If the government is subsidizing John's wage, that, by definition, allows a company to hire an individual for less than a living wage.

So in your world there must exist some perfect job where everyone, no matter what their level of skill or ability, will be able to have an hourly productivity that is equal to or above whatever you define as a living wage? Just world fallacy.

Who is to say that minimum wage isn't currently set too high then? Is everyone producing 8.25 or whatever in productivity? Are you arguing that there should be no minimum wage at all?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

JC why are you so quick to fire John? That's not how the world works. If he was doing a job, the need for that job still exists. I mean - as I said - unless in your conception you just had a pressing a button that created 10$ every hour or whatever.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

JeffersonClay posted:

Remember all the times I told you to stop slurring oppressed people? Stop slurring oppressed people.

so you do self identify as mentally disabled

hmm

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

Who is to say that minimum wage isn't currently set too high then? Is everyone producing 8.25 or whatever in productivity? Are you arguing that there should be no minimum wage at all?

Think of all the people that would be employed if they could be paid nothing! Us liberals are literally standing in the way of full employment.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

euphronius posted:

JC why are you so quick to fire John? That's not how the world works. If he was doing a job, the need for that job still exists. I mean - as I said - unless in your conception you just had a pressing a button that created 10$ every hour or whatever.

there is a very smart man who determined john's labor is worth exactly $10/hr, no more no less, and one penny above or below this value means the only logical economic outcome is to toss him into the nearest convenient dyin' gutter

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

ToastyPotato posted:

Currently disabled people can get exceptions to the minimum wage.

euphronius posted:

Ok, so we're back to the just world fallacy where every person, regardless of skill or ability, can be as productive as we dream they can be.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

OMG that toilet is clogged. It is only worth *checks chart* $14.99 cents per hour to pay someone to unlcog it. Thus, under LIBERAL TYRANNY all toilets will be clogged, FOREVER.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

there is a very smart man who determined john's labor is worth exactly $10/hr, no more no less, and one penny above or below this value means the only logical economic outcome is to toss him into the nearest convenient dyin' gutter

Yes, I am making the bold, totally unsupportable assertion that for profit companies will not hire workers at a loss.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
hmm, strange... the table of labor values states that "creating tables of labor value" is worth $250/hr...

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

JeffersonClay posted:

Yes, I am making the bold, totally unsupportable assertion that for profit companies will not hire workers at a loss.

this is someone who has never met a CEO

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

JeffersonClay posted:

Ok so it's a graph which is representing a model...

Excellent! Progress has been made! Now apologize to the rest of the thread for wasting their time insisting on this point.

quote:

You didn't answer the question. What word would you use to describe the information which informs a model? Why is data an inappropriate word to describe that information?

It's background knowledge which informs the model, and is separate from data. Data is what you gather in the field, and then you see if the relations between the data fit with your model (to some level of uncertainty).

If you're doing Bayesian analysis, then when you're looking at Bayes` Theorem:

P(M|D, I) = P(M|I) x P(D|M, I) / P(D|I)

D is the data you are collecting, M is the model, and I is the background information that feeds into the model and to your data collection methodology.

Another way to put this is that there are at two levels to arguing about statistics: about the data collected, and about what that data means. You keep conflating the two. At least on a disciplinary level, you should be able to agree with people about the data collection procedures to a level where you at least don't disagree about whether unemployment is at 10%, median wage is at $40,000/yr, interest rate is at 2%, etc. Then you can argue about which model best describes a series of data with respect to time.

If you disagree there, then you push error models in collection back and forth, or arguing about relevant variables, or whatnot. You seem to be using language that would suggest that you are arguing at that level.

But really, what you are saying is that "this is what I think the relation between raising the minimum wage to total benefits accrued to people of a certain social class", and then putting it again in graph form, and thinking that that helps. I doesn't. We can read that paragraph, and we can read that graph, to say that you think that there is benefit to raising the minimum wage until some point, then it will become a hinderance, until it leads to zero benefits for the lower social classes.

The issue is that people disagree with your model. And you claiming that that model is actually data is simply obfuscating that point.

Objections to that model that have been raised is that it doesn't take into account the rate of increase of minimum wage, it doesn't take into account the relation between that rate and inflation, all things that are vital since pretty much everyone here who is arguing for a raise in the minimum wage, is arguing for doing it gradually and adaptively. The data that will be needed is not another graph visualizing your model, it's data from people actually raising the minimum wage at a certain rate (as they are in LA and in Seattle) and seeing what happens. The model we need is one that will actually take into account rates and times.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

JeffersonClay posted:

Ok I am glad we all agree.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

so you do self identify as mentally disabled

hmm

Just stop.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Excellent! Progress has been made! Now apologize to the rest of the thread for wasting their time insisting on this point.

It's background knowledge which informs the model, and is separate from data. Data is what you gather in the field, and then you see if the relations between the data fit with your model (to some level of uncertainty).

If you're doing Bayesian analysis, then when you're looking at Bayes` Theorem:

P(M|D, I) = P(M|I) x P(D|M, I) / P(D|I)

D is the data you are collecting, M is the model, and I is the background information that feeds into the model and to your data collection methodology.

Another way to put this is that there are at two levels to arguing about statistics: about the data collected, and about what that data means. You keep conflating the two. At least on a disciplinary level, you should be able to agree with people about the data collection procedures to a level where you at least don't disagree about whether unemployment is at 10%, median wage is at $40,000/yr, interest rate is at 2%, etc. Then you can argue about which model best describes a series of data with respect to time.

If you disagree there, then you push error models in collection back and forth, or arguing about relevant variables, or whatnot. You seem to be using language that would suggest that you are arguing at that level.

But really, what you are saying is that "this is what I think the relation between raising the minimum wage to total benefits accrued to people of a certain social class", and then putting it again in graph form, and thinking that that helps. I doesn't. We can read that paragraph, and we can read that graph, to say that you think that there is benefit to raising the minimum wage until some point, then it will become a hinderance, until it leads to zero benefits for the lower social classes.

The issue is that people disagree with your model. And you claiming that that model is actually data is simply obfuscating that point.

Objections to that model that have been raised is that it doesn't take into account the rate of increase of minimum wage, it doesn't take into account the relation between that rate and inflation, all things that are vital since pretty much everyone here who is arguing for a raise in the minimum wage, is arguing for doing it gradually and adaptively. The data that will be needed is not another graph visualizing your model, it's data from people actually raising the minimum wage at a certain rate (as they are in LA and in Seattle) and seeing what happens. The model we need is one that will actually take into account rates and times.

I want to drop this into my syllabus for "how do you use and work with statistics" AA.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

JeffersonClay posted:

Currently disabled people can get exceptions to the minimum wage.

Ok, so we're back to the just world fallacy where every person, regardless of skill or ability, can be as productive as we dream they can be.

This doesn't answer the question of who is deciding the value of productivity and if the current minimum wage is above or below that value for many employers. What all of those non-disabled workers?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

i'd imagine your lack of real world experience comes from the fact that you are insufferably hairy, and smell really bad, and therefore in the few meaningless jobs you've had all the attractive women who work there constantly laugh at you behind your back. isn't this not true?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
FYI the "just world fallacy" has to do with the justness of outcomes, not prerequisites

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I want to drop this into my syllabus for "how do you use and work with statistics" AA.

Sure. Just don't forget to use the APA standard for citing Something Awful Forums posts. :v:

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

Can you explain how minimum wage is a subsidy/welfare from the government? I'm confused.

JeffersonClay posted:

Again, where is this subsidy you're talking about?

JeffersonClay posted:

One possible explanation is that wage is not a primary factor for job growth. For instance, increasing costs (wage increases) to all businesses could trigger a rate increase that does not hurt or benefit any one company (much like gas prices). The effect, that even you have described, is that all ships rise with the tide. The playing field isn't any more or less difficult between businesses and therefore they could raise their prices by the same rate and see no change in their profits or number of employees. We also know that companies are seeing record profits yet we don't see a linear effect on job growth, so why should we assume a reduction in profits would be a linear decrease?

I'm overly simplifying this, but it's perfectly reasonable to believe that increasing minimum wage might affect the economy in ways that have nothing to do with employment or ability for companies to hire employees.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ElCondemn posted:

Again, where is this subsidy you're talking about?

disabled people produce inferior labor which clearly should not be priced at the same standard intended for a normal, non-disabled person

mandating a minimum wage floor is just a handout to people who provide a substandard labor-product

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

JeffersonClay posted:

how much money does a company make from its janitorial staff?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I am sorry senior VP of HR, I cannot fathom how much money you actually bring in so you are sacked.

Legal department?? who needs this poo poo. you are out. We are running a profit focused business here.

What the hell, IT? When have we ever made a dime making sure I can email invitations to my friends. Gone.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 4, 2015

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Yes, Ortiz is it? Im sorry, you may have cleaned my poop off the toilet for years but it has come to our attention that this does not generate profits.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Spaceman Future! posted:

how much money does a company make from its janitorial staff?

You could argue that they make money from a janitorial staff by increasing the time that the rest of their employees spend on task instead of cleaning up after themselves. Though, that's likely too far abstract a notion for him. m

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

Do you know anything about operational costs? I have a whole department that's just bleeding money, yet they keep us around for some stupid reason. Maybe it's because the work we do is necessary for the company to function, the value we add is negative, we cost money. Other employees make up the difference in production to keep us working though, it's so confusing, this business thing.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

this is someone who has never met a CEO

Hi I'm Carly Fiornia, nice to meet you!

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

You could argue that they make money from a janitorial staff by increasing the time that the rest of their employees spend on task instead of cleaning up after themselves. Though, that's likely too far abstract a notion for him. m

that doesen't generate profits though, that reduces losses, optmially, though it ends up being a net loss as everyone could just take out their garbage at the end of the work day on their way out the door. Which also makes this:

JeffersonClay posted:

a swing and a miss

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm not attempting to do a bayesian analysis nor did I ever claim to be.

quote:

I never claimed the model was actually data, i claimed the model was informed by data, that it represented data. You seem to think that there's a really important distinction between data and information which informs a model. Fine. I'm happy to concede that the graph contains no data about what the effects of any specific minimum wage level would be. I never claimed it did. That's why the axes are unlabeled.

quote:

No, because that graph was never intended to actually calculate any actual effects of minimum wage changes, only to describe visually a relationship between overall welfare and the minimum wage that literally everyone except Elcondemn agrees must be true.

euphronius posted:

Ok I am glad we all agree.

And now we're back to arguing with people who think the economy runs on unicorn farts.

ToastyPotato posted:

This doesn't answer the question of who is deciding the value of productivity and if the current minimum wage is above or below that value for many employers. What all of those non-disabled workers?

Employers are deciding the value of productivity because they're the ones making hiring decisions. I agree that attempts by the government to appropriately subsidize the wages of low-productivity workers is and would be fraught with difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Spaceman Future! posted:

that doesen't generate profits though, that reduces losses, optmially, though it ends up being a net loss as everyone could just take out their garbage at the end of the work day on their way out the door.

:argh: The university I work for is doing this and I hate it. And I hate whoever came up with it. I don't want to take my trash out.

But okay, I misread what you were after.

JeffersonClay posted:

. You seem to think that there's a really important distinction between data and information which informs a model.

There really is.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 4, 2015

• Locked thread