Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
I just wanted to make sure I got this correct.

My father has a Chase Sapphire Preferred (just like myself) and he would like to transfer the points to my United Mileageplus account.

Can he transfer them directly to my Mileageplus account? Or is that verboten? Meaning that he would have to transfer them to HIS Mileageplus account and then "gift" them to MY Mileageplus account?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Bisty Q. posted:

I don't think there has ever been a better deal than 20K on the Freedom.

I got in on a $300 sign up bonus a couple years back, but haven't paid attention to recent sign up bonuses as I've been happy with the card.

It's easily google-able to find that there have been better deals... but again, I'm not up on the recent history.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Insane Totoro posted:

I just wanted to make sure I got this correct.

My father has a Chase Sapphire Preferred (just like myself) and he would like to transfer the points to my United Mileageplus account.

Can he transfer them directly to my Mileageplus account? Or is that verboten? Meaning that he would have to transfer them to HIS Mileageplus account and then "gift" them to MY Mileageplus account?

According to the Chas UR rules you can only transfer to yourself our a spouse. I don't think United allows transfers without paying either.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I've transferred points from Chase to other people's frequent flyer accounts.

From doing a quick google, it looks like its technically against the terms and conditions, but I wouldn't worry about getting in trouble unless you are like a serial card churner and manufactured spender who is probably already throwing up red flags.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
I don't see how they would even tell since we have the same last name?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
You have a different first name (???) and it's against the TOS. Doubtful you'll get caught but it's still against their rules.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Insane Totoro posted:

They have a bunch of your personal information so it doesn't seem like it would be that hard for them to figure out and they did specifically change the interface for point transfers such that you'll have to enter incorrect information about your relationship to the person you transfer to for it to complete. Just something to keep in mind as while the risk is probably low if you just do it once, but the consequences are potentially high as you lose your account and the points in it. I'm assuming the amount of points your attempting to transfer isn't enough to just buy ticket or whatever you want. Also checking on United site, it appears to be ridiculously expensive to transfer points.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Insane Totoro posted:

You can transfer between cards held by yourself or your spouse. If you only ever transfer to one other person, probably no reason to worry, but if you're transferring to multiple people, it's an easy sort of thing for a computer to detect.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

If you haven't gone for the Southwest Companion Pass, I strongly suggest you go for it now while they are offering 50k miles.

According to the nerdy guys who do the math, 50k SW points are worth $1,400 in flights when you have a companion pass.

So when you add up the bonus for 2 SW cards, the normal Sapphire bonus, and the normal Ink bonus, you are looking at like $6k in free flights.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

If you haven't gone for the Southwest Companion Pass, I strongly suggest you go for it now while they are offering 50k miles.

According to the nerdy guys who do the math, 50k SW points are worth $1,400 in flights when you have a companion pass.

So when you add up the bonus for 2 SW cards, the normal Sapphire bonus, and the normal Ink bonus, you are looking at like $6k in free flights.

fyi, I guess chase is getting more restrictive when you open a lot of new cards quickly. I got 2 chase cards and 4 other cards in the past three months, and they just denied me for a chase ink, giving that reason. I'd heard that doing 2 cards/month was reasonable, but I guess not anymore.

I'm going to stop applying for cards for now, because I'd really like to get two southwest cards in the Dec-Jan timeframe.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Baddog posted:

fyi, I guess chase is getting more restrictive when you open a lot of new cards quickly. I got 2 chase cards and 4 other cards in the past three months, and they just denied me for a chase ink, giving that reason. I'd heard that doing 2 cards/month was reasonable, but I guess not anymore.

I'm going to stop applying for cards for now, because I'd really like to get two southwest cards in the Dec-Jan timeframe.

Yeah I spaced out the 2 SW cards by 3 months, and then waited like another 3 to do the Ink and another 6 to do the Sapphire. I also had my wife transfer some points from her chase freedom so I could move them to SW.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah I spaced out the 2 SW cards by 3 months, and then waited like another 3 to do the Ink and another 6 to do the Sapphire. I also had my wife transfer some points from her chase freedom so I could move them to SW.

Do you have a side business or is there a good way to apply for a business credit card if you do not?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

asur posted:

Do you have a side business or is there a good way to apply for a business credit card if you do not?

I consider my ebay and amazon.com sales as a side business.

This link might be helpful to you

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2011/06/09/3-ways-you-may-qualify-for-a-business-credit-card/

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

I consider my ebay and amazon.com sales as a side business.

This link might be helpful to you

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2011/06/09/3-ways-you-may-qualify-for-a-business-credit-card/
Do you resell things for a profit, or sell your old stuff at market value - often less than what you paid for them? Just curious how far people push this. I sell plenty of stuff on eBay and some on Amazon, but it's all my old used stuff, sold at a loss. I don't have to report this to the IRS, and I don't consider it to be business activity but perhaps Chase would...

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
What about if you want to travel for work and they don't give you a company card?

Does that count?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Insane Totoro posted:

What about if you want to travel for work and they don't give you a company card?

Does that count?

Not in the way you mean, or at least not if it's a big coporation. Travelling for work would fall under that business and I'd expect that you're unlikely to get permission from the company along with the information you need to apply.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That's too bad.

Good thing I'm planning on selling used books again!

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

SiGmA_X posted:

Do you resell things for a profit, or sell your old stuff at market value - often less than what you paid for them? Just curious how far people push this. I sell plenty of stuff on eBay and some on Amazon, but it's all my old used stuff, sold at a loss. I don't have to report this to the IRS, and I don't consider it to be business activity but perhaps Chase would...

I mostly sell old stuff, but at the time I was considering expanding to reselling things for a profit.

Insane Totoro posted:

Does that count?

I think that would count. Those are business expenses, and it would make sense that you would want to keep them separate from personal expenses.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

I mostly sell old stuff, but at the time I was considering expanding to reselling things for a profit.

I think that would count. Those are business expenses, and it would make sense that you would want to keep them separate from personal expenses.

Those are business expenses for the company that you work for that are reimbursable to you. They are not business expenses for your own business that you own.

Regardless, just apply for the card if you want. You either get approved or denied. Has anyone heard of them every auditing someone after they've already issued a card?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Dustoph posted:

Those are business expenses for the company that you work for that are reimbursable to you. They are not business expenses for your own business that you own.

Regardless, just apply for the card if you want. You either get approved or denied. Has anyone heard of them every auditing someone after they've already issued a card?

There are lots of people who don't have any credit cards, or don't have a high enough limit to put a couple flights and a hotel stay on their personal card. They might have to use cash or debit to pay for travel expenses out of their own pocket and wait to get reimbursed. A business card would allow hopefully allow them to avoid paying anything until they are reimbursed by their company.

Here's what one of the nerdy rewards guys has to say about it:

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/05/video-srq-using-a-business-credit-card-to-separate-expenses/

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

There are lots of people who don't have any credit cards, or don't have a high enough limit to put a couple flights and a hotel stay on their personal card. They might have to use cash or debit to pay for travel expenses out of their own pocket and wait to get reimbursed. A business card would allow hopefully allow them to avoid paying anything until they are reimbursed by their company.

Here's what one of the nerdy rewards guys has to say about it:

http://thepointsguy.com/2013/05/video-srq-using-a-business-credit-card-to-separate-expenses/

I fully understand the reason for doing it, and think people absolutely should if they can get approved and it's useful for them. I don't have my own business, but I'll probably attempt to get a business card in the near future for the travel reward benefits. It's not like it's illegal to apply for one if you don't have a business; the bank just may reject you.

I was just trying to point out that it isn't the same thing as having your own company. This guy states to apply for your business under your name as a sole proprietorship, but doesn't really explain if this scenario actually qualifies as having a sole proprietorship by definition, which is what I assume the banks would be going by.

It's just a grey area, as we all know, but that shouldn't stop anyone from trying to get one. I don't believe there are any rules saying you can't apply for the card if you don't have a business. The terms just state they may review the information on the company to make a credit decision.

On a personal note, I've recently picked up the Citi double cash and the Chase Freedom cards, as my previous card had horrible rewards. Thinking about picking up the Sallie Mae one for added optimized rewards back.

This would be down the road, but I've read that for the Chase Sapphire you can get the points (would pair it with my Freedom points) and transfer them to your airline, and then migrate the card to a type without the annual fee to avoid paying that. Is this true?

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 10, 2015

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
Discover is running a promo that doubles your cash back earned during your first 12 months. Everyday spend becomes 2% and the rotating categories will be 10%. From what I understand the extra cash back is applied as a lump sum after the first year and not in the months you earn it.

The kicker is that Discover is extending this to existing cardholders too. After a quick online chat with customer service they applied it to my account starting after the current bill cycle ends. I already use it extensively on the rotating categories but starting next month I'll earn 10% on Amazon for a quarter and will use it in place of my Citi Double Cash for the next 12 months for non category spending. I guess we'll see if next year I get a huge cashback bonus, but Discover customer service is pretty great so I'm willing to try it.

Discover has been good to me since I got their It card about 2.5 years ago, and I know I've praised the It card in this thread before despite it not really being that popular.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

nickutz posted:

Discover is running a promo that doubles your cash back earned during your first 12 months. Everyday spend becomes 2% and the rotating categories will be 10%. From what I understand the extra cash back is applied as a lump sum after the first year and not in the months you earn it.

The kicker is that Discover is extending this to existing cardholders too. After a quick online chat with customer service they applied it to my account starting after the current bill cycle ends. I already use it extensively on the rotating categories but starting next month I'll earn 10% on Amazon for a quarter and will use it in place of my Citi Double Cash for the next 12 months for non category spending. I guess we'll see if next year I get a huge cashback bonus, but Discover customer service is pretty great so I'm willing to try it.

Discover has been good to me since I got their It card about 2.5 years ago, and I know I've praised the It card in this thread before despite it not really being that popular.

That does sound good, but the 'total cashback earnable', does that remain the same or is it also doubled? from a quick glance at the site it looks like the max is 1500? I suppose it's hard to hit 1500 in a single quarter anyway.

edit: my colleague, some kind of 'card king' dude, said he got 400 cashback from it last year and they closed his account because he only used it on cashback items, so they decided he was gaming it too much. This is basically how I'd be using it I think... He also suggested I wait for a sign up bonus even with this deal.

redreader fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 11, 2015

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Discover sign up bonuses are both rare and - I think - targeted offers. I honestly didn't think about the $1,500 bonus category spend limits because I've never gotten near it in any categories.

Regarding "gaming" the cashback system: I've only ever used my Discover It for 5% categories, over an entire quarter I may not ever swipe it. But I don't do any manufactured spending; if your buddy was finding ways to max out the categories every quarter they might find issue with that. Keep in mind the $1,500 max is the spend you can earn 5% cashback on, not the max cashback you can earn.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

nickutz posted:

Regarding "gaming" the cashback system: I've only ever used my Discover It for 5% categories, over an entire quarter I may not ever swipe it. But I don't do any manufactured spending; if your buddy was finding ways to max out the categories every quarter they might find issue with that. Keep in mind the $1,500 max is the spend you can earn 5% cashback on, not the max cashback you can earn.
This is what I've done with my Chase Freedom card for 1.5yrs now. Chase hasn't complained, I've made a couple hundred, and paid $0 in interest. I don't M$ it though, I keep that for new card signup bonuses.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Anyone ever successfully transferred Iberian Avios to BA? I am having no luck with it, and Iberia Plus customer service has ignored three emails (I get receipt acknowledgements saying they'll contact me shortly, they never do). I just sent them a fourth, I guess my next step is paying for an international call since they don't operate a customer service centre in my country.

edit: Just managed to figure it out! BA didn't have a birthdate on file for me (thought for sure it was mandatory to fill it in), which prevented the transfer from going through, I guess because they couldn't conclusively match my two identities. Iberia didn't offer any clues about this, nor did BA tell me directly in the "Combine Avios" section, just gave a generic "there is a problem" message, was able to find the red flag on another section of BA's site and fix it.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 16, 2015

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Balance transferred from Sallie Mae and Paypal Smart Connect (ugh. don't even mention it) to my Chase Slate two weeks ago. As of 48 hours ago, the balances are present on both the original card/LOC, AND the new Chase Slate. Should I give it until Tuesday before I freak out? Barclaycard Sallie Mae customer service was clueless, Chase did nothing but reassure me it would be gone from the old account 'later today,' and I don't have it in me to talk with the assholes at Paypal/Sin-crony right now. Anybody with experience?

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

The balance will show on both cards/lines of credit because Chase had to cut a check or issue an ACH to Barclaycard and Paypal's creditor. So they applied the balance to your Slate, and the payment from Chase should appear on Barclays and Paypal in the next few days depending on the method they sent the payment and their payment posting policies.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Got it. Thanks for the quick reply.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
SPG bonus is at 30k if you've been waiting for that one. Seems kind of random but you should be able to see it when attempting to book a room through points. Might take a few tries.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Discover It cards have an offer through Amazon where if you spend $50 on Amazon during the first 3 months you get a $50 Amazon Credit. Not much and I think they had a similar offer for $100 a couple months ago but better than nothing.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm trying to start babby's first CC min-maxing and am looking at a few options. Can someone help explain what this post means?

I see the 50k mile "Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards® Premier Card" after spending $2k in 3 months. It looks like it also instantly charges you a $99 fee. What are the "2 SW cards" and "Sapphire bonus" that I could also apply to this to get essentially 6k in flights?

The other option I am looking at is the chase freedom $200 sign-up bonus after spending $500, but that's not quite as exciting. I don't want to sign up for that if it will limit my other rewards options. Any advice?

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Blinky2099 posted:

I'm trying to start babby's first CC min-maxing and am looking at a few options. Can someone help explain what this post means?

I see the 50k mile "Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards® Premier Card" after spending $2k in 3 months. It looks like it also instantly charges you a $99 fee. What are the "2 SW cards" and "Sapphire bonus" that I could also apply to this to get essentially 6k in flights?

The other option I am looking at is the chase freedom $200 sign-up bonus after spending $500, but that's not quite as exciting. I don't want to sign up for that if it will limit my other rewards options. Any advice?

Here's a quick overview:
1. Get the personal SW card with the 50k bonus (you have to pay the $99 fee)
2. Get the business SW card with the 50k bonus if you have some spending that qualifies for a business card (you will have to pay the $99 fee again)
3. You need to get to 110k points, so either try to get the other version of the SW card (plus if you already have the premier card and visa versa), spend an extra $6k on either card, fly 6k miles on SW, or transfer enough Marriott, Hyatt or Club Carlson points to get 6k points.

That's more or less what you have to do to get the Companion Pass. Here some more info: http://thepointsguy.com/2014/11/southwest-companion-pass-16-things-every-flyer-should-know/

If you want to take full advantage of the companion pass, you are probably going to need more SW points. Best way to get SW points is through Chase signup bonuses. I waited a few months and then signed up for the Chase Ink Business Card and got 50k points. Then I waited a few months and signed up for the Sapphire Preferred and got 40k points. You also can transfer Freedom points to SW if you have an Ink or Sapphire Preferred card. You can also have your spouse/significant other transfer chase points to you so you can transfer them to SW too.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Here's a quick overview:
1. Get the personal SW card with the 50k bonus (you have to pay the $99 fee)
2. Get the business SW card with the 50k bonus if you have some spending that qualifies for a business card (you will have to pay the $99 fee again)
3. You need to get to 110k points, so either try to get the other version of the SW card (plus if you already have the premier card and visa versa), spend an extra $6k on either card, fly 6k miles on SW, or transfer enough Marriott, Hyatt or Club Carlson points to get 6k points.

That's more or less what you have to do to get the Companion Pass. Here some more info: http://thepointsguy.com/2014/11/southwest-companion-pass-16-things-every-flyer-should-know/

If you want to take full advantage of the companion pass, you are probably going to need more SW points. Best way to get SW points is through Chase signup bonuses. I waited a few months and then signed up for the Chase Ink Business Card and got 50k points. Then I waited a few months and signed up for the Sapphire Preferred and got 40k points. You also can transfer Freedom points to SW if you have an Ink or Sapphire Preferred card. You can also have your spouse/significant other transfer chase points to you so you can transfer them to SW too.

If you can't get the business card, you can get both personal cards, it's recommended that you wait a month between applications though.

Do you actually know what flying you're going to do with the companion pass? I feel like the problem a lot of people run into is that they dive into point programs with no idea how they are going to spend the points and then end up with points on a ton of programs, or they can't get the flights they want, or some other issue. In general you should approach it from the other direction where you plan travel and then apply for CCs that work towards your plan.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I’m trying to plan out my CC strategy for the second half of the year and am looking for input from anyone who plays the rewards game.

Current Cards
Chase Sapphire Preferred (opened 2/14)
Chase Southwest Plus Personal (opened 8/14)
Chase IHG (opened 4/15)
American Express Premier Rewards Gold (opened 1/15)
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select (opened 1/15)
Barclay Aviator Red (old US Airways) (opened 1/15)
BofA Alaska (opened 4/15)

Current Credit Score
Approximately 755

Current Spending Habits
The CSP is my primary spending card. I use it for dining and pretty much any non-bonused spend. The AmEx PRG gets gas and groceries. The others were opened just for bonuses; I’ll put small charges on them now and again but generally I only use them with their particular airline/hotel brand.

I don’t do manufactured spend and I don’t really have an interest in starting at this time.

Goals
-Acquire at least one no-fee credit card (currently have none)
-Cancel, downgrade, or get annual fee waivers for some of the seven cards I currently have
-Acquire Southwest companion pass in early 2016
-Continue to acquire Alaska miles through BofA bonuses

Timeline
June 2015
-Apply in branch for a Chase Freedom card. I’m aware of the new Chase 5+ cards rule. However, Doctor of Credit suggests that you may be able to get around this if you apply in branch and get a banker to “plead your case” for you. I have a Chase checking account and I do most of my spending with them, so I think I’m a plausible candidate (if this strategy has legs at all, which it might not). I’d also like to talk to the banker to see if she thinks I have a decent chance of being approved. If not I’ll withdraw instead of risking the hard pull.

July 2015
-If I don’t have the Chase Freedom, apply for a no-fee card. Probably either the Amex Everyday or the DiscoverIt.
-Cancel the Southwest Plus Personal. Will probably not take them up on retention, even if I get an offer, because of Southwest applications I plan on making later.

August/September 2015
-Be ready to jump on any crazy good bonuses that come along, otherwise probably no activity

October 2015
-Downgrade the BofA Alaska card to BofA Better Balance Rewards

November/December 2015
-Look into retention for both the Citi and Barclay AA cards, downgrade/cancel if I don’t get one that waives the fee. What I’ve seen on Flyertalk suggests I can likely expect waivers on both.
-Figure out whether to keep, downgrade, or cancel the AmEx PRG. Need to do a little more research on my downgrade options here.
-Be on the lookout for 50K bonuses for both the Southwest Premier Personal and the Southwest Premier Business. Hopefully be able to apply to one in November, one in December, and wrap up the spend by February to earn the Companion Pass in early 2016
-Snag another BofA Alaska card

Questions I Have
-Can anybody speak to the Chase in-branch strategy?
-When I apply for the Southwest Premier Business, I will be doing so in my capacity as president of the co-op I live in. It’s a non-profit corporation in Illinois. Our only revenue comes in the form of monthly assessments and annual tax payments by the residents. I’ve never applied for a business card, but I’m assuming this is OK? Must I use the card only for building expenses, or can I put personal expenses on it as well? I wouldn’t do anything embezzley, obviously; I would pay the personal portion of the balance out of my personal checking account. But I’m wondering if Chase would ever care or even notice.
-Do I need to cancel/downgrade the December/January BofA Alaska before I apply for another one in Spring 2016? Is 90 days enough to wait between BofA Alaska apps in the future?
-Is there anything glaringly obvious that I’m missing, or glaringly stupid that I’m planning on doing?

Thanks for any feedback you have :cheers:

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Blinky2099 posted:

If you are gonna do churning and think you ever want chase freedom/sapphire/ink, with the recent changes to chase policy (can't get them if you've opened more than 5 cards in past 2 years) should probably get those first. Sounds like the affiliated chase cards (southwest, ihg, hyatt, british airways) aren't covered in the restriction (yet).

The only one I kinda wish I got is the ink for the potential to get 5% back on gift cards at office supply stores, but I'm not all that pressed about it.

I'm gonna hold off on the southwest cards until dec-jan time period (hopefully the 50k comes back then), because if you get the 110k points at the beginning of the year the companion pass is good for almost two years - calendar year you get it in, and the following year.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Can't get the 30k SPG points offer Amex to show up, and I had actually sent all my points out to another program so I don't have points to try to book a room. Any suggestions? I have about $5k worth of Westin stays coming up at the end of next month, so I really want to get this card going. =)

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
Do the points from Ink transfer to UR?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

pig slut lisa posted:

June 2015
-Apply in branch for a Chase Freedom card. I’m aware of the new Chase 5+ cards rule. However, Doctor of Credit suggests that you may be able to get around this if you apply in branch and get a banker to “plead your case” for you. I have a Chase checking account and I do most of my spending with them, so I think I’m a plausible candidate (if this strategy has legs at all, which it might not). I’d also like to talk to the banker to see if she thinks I have a decent chance of being approved. If not I’ll withdraw instead of risking the hard pull.

I tried this today and got a "review pending" :ohdear: I expect a denial but I'm hoping I can go back to the banker and see what he can do for me. The answer may well be "not much" but I'll give it a go.

For what it's worth the guy I talked to had no idea about the 5-in-24 policy and couldn't find anything on it. When I talk to recon I'll definitely bring up the fact that the branch guys don't appear to have been clued in to this major change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Insane Totoro posted:

Do the points from Ink transfer to UR?

Pretty sure Ink points are already Chase Ultimate Rewards.