Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Toriori posted:

....I do want some honest opinions about asking her.

Xandu posted:

Don't tell your boss you're applying for a new job, tell her when you get an offer and give reasonable notice.
This is the only answer. There is no good reason to tell your employer you're looking for a job before you have an offer in hand. And there are a ton of bad ones. Don't overthink it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Currently out of town on an in site interview. Just found out from a coworker that my boss is on the same flight home as me tomorrow :suicide:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
If it makes you feel better, no potential employer will contact your previous employer unless you tell them it's OK, so it's not like a potential employer is going to snitch on you.

Also most goons will you tell you that "previous employer recommendations" are just said employer telling a hiring manager/staffing agent/whoever that "Yes, Toriori worked here for X years in Y capacity", but I'm not so sure. I've had two people from my previous job (who I gave as references) tell me that they gave glowing reviews of me to a recruiter who reached out to them, and that said recruiter actually paid attention. Granted they might not be able to use said glowing facts about me, but the recruiter still heard them :shrug:

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
For a normal job you would never mention anything to your boss but these general tips might not apply to a niche academic field, where everyone at the top knows each other and burning one bridge could blacklist you from the entire field. I would make the call yourself based on what potential negative consequences could occur.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
This week is my first of not having a job (laid off, company is closing) and I had a really good interview yesterday with a decision expected by the end of the week. Even though they know I'm unemployed, if they call on Friday and offer me the job will I look like an rear end in a top hat if I say I'd prefer to start on the 17th as opposed to the 8th? I've got a few appointments scheduled already for next week (dentist and vision) and I honestly need a little bit of personal time to get some stuff done around the house and get ahead in the masters courses I'm taking; having those extra days would be a huge help as far as starting my new position with a totally clear head.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I'm currently working with a professional recruiter (3rd party) who seems to have good connections and was recommended by several former colleagues. Today he asked me to add my college GPA to my resume (graduated in 2008) because apparently "a 3.45 is very interesting for a number of employers out there". Just wanted to throw my experience on the collective pile of goon resume advice. Might be field-specific (chemical engineering) or maybe he has no idea what he's talking about. :shrug:

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

"I was an 89% student 8 years ago, please hire me."

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

Saint Fu posted:

I'm currently working with a professional recruiter (3rd party) who seems to have good connections and was recommended by several former colleagues. Today he asked me to add my college GPA to my resume (graduated in 2008) because apparently "a 3.45 is very interesting for a number of employers out there". Just wanted to throw my experience on the collective pile of goon resume advice. Might be field-specific (chemical engineering) or maybe he has no idea what he's talking about. :shrug:

Most places use GPA as a metric for people who have little to no work experience, aka, people very recently out of college. It looks totally out of place on someone who graduated seven years ago. The recruiter doesn't know what he's talking about and you should treat his future advice as suspect, IMO.

Janus Owl
Jan 9, 2014
I'm currently a department supervisor at a major clothing retailer and I am trying to get out of retail. I have a B.A and my previous job allowed me to do some office work, so I have a little office experience. I want to get out of retail and into an office job, or preferably a paralegal job. I was hoping for any advice on my resume, especially how can I leverage my managerial skills into a new job.

Here's the link to my resume: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eOxaMNBuI2qHz5CLWLcNuDEE3TSKHURdC2ubaZinnI0/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you so much! I've been in retail for almost 10 years and it's time to get out and finally put my degree to some use!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Odd question, maybe: I decided to convert my resume to LaTeX as an exercise and was hoping for feedback specifically on layout/aesthetics. I'm not as concerned about content right now (I'm not on the job market any time soon), but would appreciate feedback on if the organization and typesetting make sense. Are the appropriate things bolded/italicized, are the table layouts confusing, is the symbol for lists not too obtrusive (as opposed to a solid bullet), etc. Does the font just plain suck? For example, I originally had the left column of the Education tables (Honors, Coursework) in bold to match the Skills table, but it made the Education area look like a big bold blob from a distance.

Thanks for any feedback you guys have. Here's a link to view the PDF on Google Drive.

Janus Owl posted:

I'm currently a department supervisor at a major clothing retailer and I am trying to get out of retail.
Do you have any numbers you could add to the productivity increases or whatever? I know it can be hard to quantify some stuff, but it helps (overtime hours reduced, fewer man hours needed for certain tasks, etc.).

I'd take high school off, also.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Odd question, maybe: I decided to convert my resume to LaTeX as an exercise and was hoping for feedback specifically on layout/aesthetics. I'm not as concerned about content right now (I'm not on the job market any time soon), but would appreciate feedback on if the organization and typesetting make sense. Are the appropriate things bolded/italicized, are the table layouts confusing, is the symbol for lists not too obtrusive (as opposed to a solid bullet), etc. Does the font just plain suck? For example, I originally had the left column of the Education tables (Honors, Coursework) in bold to match the Skills table, but it made the Education area look like a big bold blob from a distance.

Format looks fine, though it also looks identical to a non-Latex resume. Also, it might just be me, but the LaTex logo under skills looks a bit off. I think because of the small font size the letters kind of blurs together at first glance. Same with the C#, the # just looks a bit too small.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

GobiasIndustries posted:

This week is my first of not having a job (laid off, company is closing) and I had a really good interview yesterday with a decision expected by the end of the week. Even though they know I'm unemployed, if they call on Friday and offer me the job will I look like an rear end in a top hat if I say I'd prefer to start on the 17th as opposed to the 8th? I've got a few appointments scheduled already for next week (dentist and vision) and I honestly need a little bit of personal time to get some stuff done around the house and get ahead in the masters courses I'm taking; having those extra days would be a huge help as far as starting my new position with a totally clear head.
You won't look like an rear end in a top hat if you tell them you're available on the 17th. It's common to take a couple weeks off between jobs. And honestly, I think it makes you look good to say you're using your time productively even though you just got laid off.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Thanks for any feedback you guys have. Here's a link to view the PDF on Google Drive.

Just for aesthetics, I'd decrease the top margin a little bit to get rid of a bit of the white space. I'd also move the lines separating each section to underneath the section title and see how that looks. Finally, I'd try moving the name & address info to the left as opposed to centered and see if that looks OK; with everything else being left or right aligned, having that centered looks a bit off I think.

Dik Hz posted:

You won't look like an rear end in a top hat if you tell them you're available on the 17th. It's common to take a couple weeks off between jobs. And honestly, I think it makes you look good to say you're using your time productively even though you just got laid off.

That is good to hear, thank you! Even though we didn't talk about start dates in the interview I could tell they had been trying to fill this position for a while; I just don't want to come across as too pushy or ungrateful for the opportunity or anything.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jun 4, 2015

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Xandu posted:

Same with the C#, the # just looks a bit too small.
Okay, I actually did some manual touch-up on the # because it didn't look right in a different font that I was using before and never reverted it.
code:
\newcommand{\CS}
{C\nolinebreak[3]\hspace{-.05em}\raisebox{.22ex}{\footnotesize\bf \#}}
The default is on the left and mine is on the right:

I think I'll just get rid of the tweak since it does end up looking off. I'll try to address the LaTeX thing too but that might be tougher to play with. Thanks for the help!

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 4, 2015

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

Just for aesthetics, I'd decrease the top margin a little bit to get rid of a bit of the white space. I'd also move the lines separating each section to underneath the section title and see how that looks. Finally, I'd try moving the name & address info to the left as opposed to centered and see if that looks OK; with everything else being left or right aligned, having that centered looks a bit off I think.
I'll give these a shot too! I know I tried the rule under the subsection title at some point and didn't think it looked great, even though most resumes seem to do it that way. I'll give it another look though. Thanks!

I tried your changes: Here's a link to view the PDF on Google Drive. I'm not sure what to think.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Maybe enlarge the header so it stretches across the top and you have less white space.

This is how I have mine set up:

code:
Anonymous Goon                                                          (555) 867-5309
123 Main St. • Somewhere, USA                               		   [email]anonymous@goon.com[/email]

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I'll give these a shot too! I know I tried the rule under the subsection title at some point and didn't think it looked great, even though most resumes seem to do it that way. I'll give it another look though. Thanks!

I tried your changes: Here's a link to view the PDF on Google Drive. I'm not sure what to think.

You're welcome! I like the revised section titles a lot, and I think if you try Xandu's recommendation to stretch the header across the page it'll look more natural.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Xandu posted:

Maybe enlarge the header so it stretches across the top and you have less white space.

This is how I have mine set up:

code:
Anonymous Goon                                                          (555) 867-5309
123 Main St. • Somewhere, USA                               		   [email]anonymous@goon.com[/email]
Hm, I think I like this. Here's a link to view the PDF on Google Drive.

Thanks for the feedback, folks! It's been a fun LaTeX exercise today. I still need to figure out how to clean up that LaTeX symbol lettering.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 4, 2015

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
Why would you use LaTeX and not the Computer Modern font? It's the only way to be sure you actually prepared the document there.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Is that sarcasm? I haven't been using LaTeX long enough to know if people really stick with the default font for resumes. :ohdear:

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Is that sarcasm? I haven't been using LaTeX long enough to know if people really stick with the default font for resumes. :ohdear:

About half/half. Given your background, I would absolutely put it in Computer Modern; I think it shows a lot more 'nerd cred', as it were. It's a very distinctive typeface and makes your resume stand out. I view it as a very 'no-nonsense' kind of font.

The resume you have now looks like it could have been designed in anything (except for the latex logo itself, I guess), it looks like you 'know' LaTeX but you don't love it, like using CM would communicate.

I also do think it's a very well-designed typeface :shobon: but it doesn't really matter either way. I was mostly razzing.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm going to be having my first lunch interview today. It's with the owner of the company to boot.

Any advice or tidbits would be appreciated.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

SirPhoebos posted:

I'm going to be having my first lunch interview today. It's with the owner of the company to boot.

This is advice that I got from a book geared towards salespeople (and what is an interview if not a sale pitch for yourself), but be sure to take the seat with the best view so that the other person can't take it and then be distracted. If you can sit with your back against a wall, do it. And remember, you are not there to eat but to make the case for why they should hire you, so don't get bogged down Instagramming your food or finding out if they have grass-fed ginger ale or whatever. You don't even have to eat if you think it will throw you off your game!

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

C-Euro posted:

This is advice that I got from a book geared towards salespeople (and what is an interview if not a sale pitch for yourself), but be sure to take the seat with the best view so that the other person can't take it and then be distracted. If you can sit with your back against a wall, do it. And remember, you are not there to eat but to make the case for why they should hire you, so don't get bogged down Instagramming your food or finding out if they have grass-fed ginger ale or whatever. You don't even have to eat if you think it will throw you off your game!

I'd agree except you should eat. They invited you to lunch. It could and probably would be considered rude not to eat. Plus, how relaxed are they going to be while they are eating and you're not and trying to keep up the conversation?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Okay, I actually did some manual touch-up on the # because it didn't look right in a different font that I was using before and never reverted it.

Bisty Q. posted:

I would absolutely put it in Computer Modern
It was actually Computer Modern that made me do this:

Default on the left, my version on the right. The default C# in CM just looks wrong to me.

Edit: do we have a LaTeX thread anymore?

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 5, 2015

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Didn't tell the boss, submitted an application, probably won't get a callback but oh well! I don't mind my job but it is year by year contract and that is just not ideal.I'm willing to take a moderate pay cut if it means a sense of security at this point.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
There's no reason to tell your boss unless you're seriously looking or are trying to leverage it into a more permanent position. You're fine.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So, my interview on Tuesday that I thought went really well said they wanted to have a decision by the end of the week. It's 4:50 now and I haven't gotten a call or email; how bad of a sign is this?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

So, my interview on Tuesday that I thought went really well said they wanted to have a decision by the end of the week. It's 4:50 now and I haven't gotten a call or email; how bad of a sign is this?

They meant by the middle of next week. I've never had any business transaction, project, or hire actually follow the schedule all the way through.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
So I'm going to graduate from school in Dec with an engineering major and have a question:

I'm working an internship at a company right now that I like and would be happy to work for, but it's not necessarily my first choice. At the end of the summer I'll be told whether they want to hire me or not, and given 2 weeks to respond. My concern is that I won't necessarily have time to explore my other options before that requires a response. How terrible of a thing is it to accept the offer, than recant later if a better option comes along?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

jkyuusai posted:

Most places use GPA as a metric for people who have little to no work experience, aka, people very recently out of college. It looks totally out of place on someone who graduated seven years ago. The recruiter doesn't know what he's talking about and you should treat his future advice as suspect, IMO.

Yeah it's not meaningful once you are no longer entry level.

For most places the education blurb should just cover enough to pass the job listing tollgate, usually name, degree and location of school.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Saint Fu posted:

Depends on your school and yes, it is field specific. A 3.45 from a good school in ChemE is a significant achievement that reflects positively on you. I'd put it on. Note: I've hired several ChemE's, and my boss is a ChemE.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

SirPhoebos posted:

Don't order pasta or a burger.

For some reason every time I have a burger during a business lunch, it does that thing where the patty and toppings slip out.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Sorry for the constant stream of questions, but I've got another one. I have to record a pre-interview using Hire Vue today; what this means is I get to sit in front of my computer and answer questions while staring at myself looking back at me from my webcam. I tried the practice question and it was one of the most uncomfortable things I've ever done; I've never had a problem with in-person interviews or phone screenings, but the fact that nobody's on the other end is really throwing me off. Does anyone have advice on stuff I can do to prep for this?

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 7, 2015

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
What if you call a friend and have them ask the questions?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

bamhand posted:

What if you call a friend and have them ask the questions?

I don't get the questions up front; the way it seems to be structured is I get a question, get 30 seconds to think about it, and then record my response via webcam (max of 3 minutes). Once I click Finish, it's on to the next question.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
Any company that uses these you probably don't want to work for.

That said, if you are insistent, the good news is that everyone else will be equally awkward. One thing that I hear helps with these is to not have the window where you can see yourself focused while you're recording. Open a blank tab and click over to that once you start recording, so that you aren't staring at yourself while you're talking. It can help with the nerves and with looking like you're not looking at the camera (which is where you should be looking most of the time. Look at the camera enabled light next to the camera and you'll be looking in about the right spot.)

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Bisty Q. posted:

Any company that uses these you probably don't want to work for.

That said, if you are insistent, the good news is that everyone else will be equally awkward. One thing that I hear helps with these is to not have the window where you can see yourself focused while you're recording. Open a blank tab and click over to that once you start recording, so that you aren't staring at yourself while you're talking. It can help with the nerves and with looking like you're not looking at the camera (which is where you should be looking most of the time. Look at the camera enabled light next to the camera and you'll be looking in about the right spot.)

Unfortunately the company in question is a well known and respected university, so I really, really do want to work for them :(

Your advice is good, though; I just put up an index card over the corner of the screen that was showing me and it helped a little bit with the weirdness factor; my answers were still terrible since the format still was really throwing me off, but not having to watch me staring back at me was helpful.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

So I'm back on the hunt for a full-time position after my grad school plans fell through due to ~life~. This is being combined with a move since my husband is moving for work or I would grab a full time opportunity at one of my previous institutions. I work in a licensed healthcare field, and thankfully the job hunt isn't too bad since the boomers are starting to retire, but I don't know how to present my work history.

Started working in 2013 after a 1 year clinical internship
2013-2014 Worked full time at a big well known hospital that's been on TV and everything, A+ resume material despite the world's most toxic atmosphere
2014-2015 switched to a per diem schedule at the same place and went back to school for grad prerequisite classes, ALSO got another per diem job at a smaller well-respected hospital

Both jobs have very similar job descriptions/achievements, and only differ in the volume and scale of the area I worked in. My responsibilities didn't change when I changed schedules at the big hospital.

Should it be something like:

Job Title, Big Hospital 2013-2015
- description
Job Title, Small Hospital 2014-2015
- almost the same description

Or should I specify time periods for per diem work? I worked one day a week at each location (sometimes more), so it wasn't a sporadic schedule like some per diem positions and I worry that "per diem" may imply I have less experience than I do, while omitting it would imply more. Do managers care about my schedule?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I'd let that be handled in an interview. I had overlapping times due to part time military obligations, and I just explained in the interview when they asked.