Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seri
Sep 29, 2013
Does editing the designs of ships actually affect how they look? I haven't really bothered to do much designing on my own because it seems rather intimidating right now, but if it turns out that the looks of the ships do change I'll be way more inclined to actually make my own designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Seri posted:

Does editing the designs of ships actually affect how they look? I haven't really bothered to do much designing on my own because it seems rather intimidating right now, but if it turns out that the looks of the ships do change I'll be way more inclined to actually make my own designs.

Ships choose from a library of hull types based on the rough shape of the design, or you can select one manually.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

You can actually do fun stuff like scout ships whose design spells out SCOUT on the map.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Firgof posted:

How's that coming by the way? Also, is there anything you're confused by or have questions about?

It's a thing now.

Otherwise! Took advantage of excuse playtime because of the patch to finish off my biggest game last night. Three galaxies, twelve factions, 80 systems galaxy, 100% extra remnants with remnant hostility on. It was awesome. As I invaded the last galaxy, I had two galaxies each funneling into a respective ringworld. As a faction, anyone who uses gates has a huge advantage making megaconstructions, I think, because their basic tractor units have much less distance to travel moving asteroids & you can plan around it.

Now all I need to do is play more multiplayer of this. I think it'd be a great game for a LAN weekend.

OwlFancier posted:

Ships choose from a library of hull types based on the rough shape of the design, or you can select one manually.

This isn't entirely true, because when you're zoomed out a bit you see the shape as defined in the constructor, so you see your unique shape in menus and such - but in close up combat it's as OwlFancier says.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh, yes it uses your actual tile placement to calculate the silhouette of the ship, which can either be a boon or bane to identification depending on how varied you make your designs.

The research screen is much more readable now, and much more expensive. Both good, but I do find that there is a little bit of a dearth of worthwhile upgrades, things that significantly change your playstyle.

I am again probably spoiled by galactic armory, but I liked getting new subsystems quite regularly in that. With things seeming rather more expensive now (or it being harder to sidestep expensive things) I'm finding I go quite a while between getting new things to play with, and the game doesn't have a huge number of them to begin with.

Oh and the Prideful trait might be a bit broken, because I immediately decided to devote a few cycles to building an enormous mining ship (dubbed, Potemkin, obviously) solely for the purpose of grabbing a massive amount of influence stake without devoting any worlds to it. I ended up getting a 2.5 empire share of galactic influence for quite a while.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 13, 2015

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Firgof posted:

It's up to your drivers unfortunately - we doubt we can work around it. Perhaps try lowering the texture quality setting in the options menu?

That did it! Thanks!

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

OwlFancier posted:

I am again probably spoiled by galactic armory, but I liked getting new subsystems quite regularly in that. With things seeming rather more expensive now (or it being harder to sidestep expensive things) I'm finding I go quite a while between getting new things to play with, and the game doesn't have a huge number of them to begin with.

Just as a counter-point, I love that there's not lots of pointless subsystems that serve only as 'thing 2.0' or 'thing but worse' or 'weapon but slightly higher rof/slightly lower damage'. I don't have to constantly upgrade and rebuild everything every time I get Gun 2.0, and it takes out some of the fussy micromanagement to not have a ton of worthless bits.

Keep it the way it is- if you want more fiddly bits, mods can cover that, but it's hard to mod that kind of thing OUT in a clean way.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

BlondRobin posted:

Keep it the way it is- if you want more fiddly bits, mods can cover that, but it's hard to mod that kind of thing OUT in a clean way.

Or play GalCiv, where you can get tons of near meaningless upgrades, one at a time.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Hey Firgof, any plans to get the random ship design working with verdant races? Making my own ship designs is weird for me since I have trouble judging how effective what I'm doing actually is, with the randomizer I can just plug away until I get something reasonable and roll with it.

Edit: Also found a hilarious aspect to standard FTL drives: depending on your FTL speed and sublight acceleration, it may be faster to not actually use your FTL drive.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 09:19 on May 19, 2015

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I've got this problem trying to use asteroids another empire originally claimed. I took over their planet that made the mining base, it lets me target to planets I own, it shows in the planet's resources, but doesn't count towards requirements.

Example:

Has anyone had this issue when taking over enemy resources?

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

ZypherIM posted:

I've got this problem trying to use asteroids another empire originally claimed. I took over their planet that made the mining base, it lets me target to planets I own, it shows in the planet's resources, but doesn't count towards requirements.

Example:

Has anyone had this issue when taking over enemy resources?

The color of the asteroid in that screenshot looks more like theirs than yours, I'm pretty sure you haven't taken actually taken over the asteroid yet. While it's outside their empire borders, it's still within their trade zone so it should still belong to them. They need to lose trade access to free up the asteroid.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BlondRobin posted:

Just as a counter-point, I love that there's not lots of pointless subsystems that serve only as 'thing 2.0' or 'thing but worse' or 'weapon but slightly higher rof/slightly lower damage'. I don't have to constantly upgrade and rebuild everything every time I get Gun 2.0, and it takes out some of the fussy micromanagement to not have a ton of worthless bits.

Gun 2.0 isn't what I'm after so much as I would like more different systems. There isn't a very large amount of variety in what things you can design your ships to do or behave like, even compared to vanilla SR1. Of course, vanilla SR1 had more systems like fuel and ammo to play with but even among weaponry, there are fewer options.

A lot of the gripes about upgrading designs could also be overcome with simple "replace system with new system" controls and a robust refitting mechanic. As you only control a somewhat limited number of ships directly the game would, if anything, be far better equipped to deal with things like that than many games.

Treemeister
Oct 15, 2006

HAY GUYS
I tried this game out today after putting a few hours into Galactic Civilizations 3. Where gal civ was boring, this game is so refreshing. I'm loving the game play so far and I'm trying to get my friends to give it a shot.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

So setting your excess money to public works sends labor to the homeworld. Is there a way to change this to a different planet? If not that would be something great to be added in.

My big forge world is somewhere else and I'm wanting more labor on it, but there are limited options for that it seems.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
After watching a friend stream some SR2, I've been convinced to buy it after being less than satisfied with the first one. Finally, no more allegedly-newtonian motion that sent your fleets swinging through entire other star systems while doing their decel/acceleration attack runs!

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

KlavoHunter posted:

After watching a friend stream some SR2, I've been convinced to buy it after being less than satisfied with the first one. Finally, no more allegedly-newtonian motion that sent your fleets swinging through entire other star systems while doing their decel/acceleration attack runs!

I'm kind of torn whether or not to say anything here.

Kaludan
Jul 2, 2009
As an initial backer of the alpha of the game, Star Ruler 1, I'm ecstatic to see the game come this far.
That said I wish the original backers didn't have to revert to more back channel means to get their copy. Steam for some reason only let's me download the unfinished and abandoned original version.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Kaludan posted:

As an initial backer of [...] Star Ruler 1, I'm ecstatic [...] That said I wish the original backers didn't have to revert to [illegal or grey] means to get [a free copy]. Steam for some reason only let's me download [Star Ruler 1].

We appreciate your desire to obtain a free copy of our second game as you helped us support our first with over 30 enormous patches, the fixing of all known bugs, and getting all our planned features (and even some extras) in. Most companies in our position would be forced to abandon their game and leave it in its broken launch state, rife with bugs, and without many of its core features even detailed - thankfully with your support that was not the case and our small 3-man outfit was able to support the game with our undivided attention for an entire year [and some months more] after its launch on Steam. The SR1 community's role in all of that was truly enormous - we would not have survived, much less have even been able to launch the game, without you.

Unfortunately, we are not in a financial position to offer all owners of SR1 a free copy of SR2. If, however, the company obtains millions of dollars of income before the end of this year I could ask my boss if we could relax our position on that matter. As it stands, I am simply unable to furnish you a free copy on demand even though I appreciate what you've done for us in the past. After all, we are still looking to be forced to close our doors by the time the year is out due to our operating costs still beating out our profits.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jun 4, 2015

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Kaludan posted:

As an initial backer of the alpha of the game, Star Ruler 1, I'm ecstatic to see the game come this far.
That said I wish the original backers didn't have to revert to more back channel means to get their copy. Steam for some reason only let's me download the unfinished and abandoned original version.

What are you, nuts? Geezus how rude. poo poo costs money, how about being happy they made a Star Ruler 2 and being grateful you have an opportunity to support them again.

Entitlement is a bad attitude.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Kaludan posted:

Are you saying you want a free copy of all the sequels because you bought the first game? :psyduck:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Kaludan posted:

0/10 learn to troll better.

Kaludan
Jul 2, 2009
My bad. I was drunk last night and thought this was the Star Drive 2 thread. One of my poor Kickstarter decisions

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."

Bremen posted:

I'm kind of torn whether or not to say anything here.

You've already opened your mouth, why don't you let me know how wrong I am? :colbert:

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

KlavoHunter posted:

You've already opened your mouth, why don't you let me know how wrong I am? :colbert:

The ships fly great as long as you don't try to set a new course before they finished the old one, then you can get those long sweeping motions from the first game with lots of overshooting.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

The ships fly great as long as you don't try to set a new course before they finished the old one, then you can get those long sweeping motions from the first game with lots of overshooting.

Huh. I will keep that in mind. Thanks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're having trouble with your ships overshooting it's generally a symptom of lack of thrust.

While the Newtonian motion means you don't need powerful engines to travel long distances, it does mean your ships are rather unresponsive without them. Put more thrust on than you think you'll need, it will allow you to adjust your ships in transit more easily, they'll still overshoot if you tell them to adjust in the latter half of their journey, because it's physically impossible for them to slow down faster, but the overshoot will be corrected more quickly.

This applies to SR1 as well, actually. I had a lot more fun with that when I stopped trying to minmax with bussard ramjets on everything.

I wish SR1 didn't become unstable in the late game with galactic armory installed, I'd play it more if so. Still never found another game that really feels as space-opera-ey as that game.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 14, 2015

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

This applies to SD1 as well, actually. I had a lot more fun with that when I stopped trying to minmax with bussard ramjets on everything.

I wish SD1 didn't become unstable in the late game with galactic armory installed, I'd play it more if so. Still never found another game that really feels as space-opera-ey as that game.

We've already had one too many StarDrive/Star Ruler mixups on this page :colbert:

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Well, the time has come. SR2 is now 40% off for the Steam Summer Sale.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Summer sale!

It has become quiet in here.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
Trip report, SR2 is pretty good.

I think I like Fling Beacons as the best FTL method. No faffing about with sticking a Hyperdrive in your designs and wasting space.

When I introduce larger classes of Support Ship, even if I don't Obsolete the old Gunships/whatever, my planets stop making the smaller classes of ship for my support fleets using Defense. I don't want them to stop doing that, I do want lots of small, spammy ships too! :(

What do you guys like putting on your really big flagships, specifically in that painful lull before you get the Titan Hull (and Antimatter Generator!) research done, but when the AI insists on flying around bigger and bigger flagships despite now uneconomic they are?

Right now I'm leaning towards a big missile launcher to blap the other flagship with hits worth thousands of points, but the Reactive Armor and stuff that some ships use makes me think a more balanced approach is necessary...

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

KlavoHunter posted:

Trip report, SR2 is pretty good.

I think I like Fling Beacons as the best FTL method. No faffing about with sticking a Hyperdrive in your designs and wasting space.

What do you guys like putting on your really big flagships, specifically in that painful lull before you get the Titan Hull (and Antimatter Generator!) research done, but when the AI insists on flying around bigger and bigger flagships despite now uneconomic they are?

If I'm using fling FTL then I usually build a stack of "station" hulls; just bolt on some lasers/etc and a buttload of armor to make indestructible low-maintenance bricks, then fling them around wherever needed.

KlavoHunter posted:

Right now I'm leaning towards a big missile launcher to blap the other flagship with hits worth thousands of points, but the Reactive Armor and stuff that some ships use makes me think a more balanced approach is necessary...

I once had some success with a ludicrous intergalactic torpedo boat that could one-shot almost any fleet the AIs threw at me, but the weapon took so long to reload that it was just faster to scrap it and build a new one... Not a very economical but it was amusing enough.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lprsti99 posted:

We've already had one too many StarDrive/Star Ruler mixups on this page :colbert:

Urrrgh, yes I mean star ruler 1, not stardrive.

KlavoHunter posted:

Big one shot guns aren't practical, alas, there is no artillery analog from SR1, much to my chagrin.

Generally I would say that a muon cannon is the most versatile weapon given that it punches through armor and has a fast cycle rate. Failing that, if you find your big missile launcher is being no-sold too often or wastes its shot on a small target, replace it with several smaller ones. Missiles are good in that they don't need to point forwards so just put lots on the back half of the ship. They're not terribly ammo efficient but they do work. For ammo efficiency I find a spread of laser turrets works well, very good for cutting through large numbers of support ships and generally effective against armour too when focused.

Firgof, are you still planning on making that DLC I think you mentioned? Would like to throw more money at you but I have no friends who would play star ruler. Or videogames generally, actually.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 14, 2015

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

How's the AI in this game? Does it have to cheat? My two pet peeves for 4X's are flabby or cheatin' AI.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

doctorfrog posted:

How's the AI in this game? Does it have to cheat? My two pet peeves for 4X's are flabby or cheatin' AI.

AI in SR1 was utterly brutal, AI in SR2 is fairly easy but I don't know how to change the difficulty. To my knowledge it doesn't cheat on normal and probably won't cheat much on harder difficulties, going by SR1's standard. Being real time and large scale the game takes advantage of the AI's ability to multitask much better than you can which makes it challenging.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

The AI does not cheat at all unless you choose the setting which specifically allows them to.

It can be pretty tough but that depends more on the situation in the cosmos than anything. The AI expands much better than any player possibly could keep up with without constant pausing but humans have the edge on long term strategy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's not quite as insane as it was in SR1 because of the fleet system. Having an AI able to control several thousand individual ships at once was... difficult to deal with to say the least.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

AI in SR1 was utterly brutal, AI in SR2 is fairly easy but I don't know how to change the difficulty.

Click the crossed swords on the AI player's line in game setup.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Might be the mods I'm using but the only thing to keep in mind is that stations build slower then a ship will. So using a poo poo load of nuetronium armor will take a while to actually build the fully functional station. So use support stations to speed up the actual build once you buy the station. Do have to agree that making what amounts to a literal brick with enough shields and armor to deflect anything is a great way to screw with anyone AI or player. Humans will learn to avoid your brick but they can serve as hardy observation points then. AI tends to keep sending ships out to kill it, usually I run out of supply at some point if I send it to deep and the ship size is around 400. They are great for an initial attack on an entrenched opponent though, use the stations to soften up the enemy and bring the main fleet in after you know what to expect and how to capitalize on the weakened opponent.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Heads up for those who might've missed it: Star Ruler 2 is currently 50% off in the present Steam Flash Sale ($12.49). If you've been waiting for the price to drop to buy in, now's the time. The flash sale will cycle to a new set roughly five and a half hours from the time of this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Bought this on the steam sale, but I have only played the tutorial for now.

The most annoying thing for is that I can't find a way to control the game speed while I am in a menu. Especially annoying in the diplomatic and research menus.
Did I miss a button, or do I have to look up some keyboard shortcuts?

• Locked thread