Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

SgtScruffy posted:

Part of me is worried super loving excited that somehow, all of the FIFA execs are going to start talking, and this thing is going to spawn revelations that no one expected and have huge over-the-top ramifications. Like, every elected european official has been bribed and every CEO of every major sponsor has been personally bribed. I know it won't be that crazy, but imagine the chaos of every few days, a new elected official or board member getting arrested :getin:

someone needs to run a book on who Blatter tries to throw under the bus to save his own skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

I thought Daesh didn't like football.
Daesh doesn't really like/dislike anything(although individual members have been outed as weeaboos) beyond making GBS threads up the economy of whoever is unfortunate to be in their vicinity. They destroyed Hatra and Nimrud to prevent their use as tourist attractions, their main use of landmines is to make farms unusable and when they started losing Kobane and Tikrit, they burned the schools/hospitals first before thinking about which buildings the YPG or the Iraqi army could use against them. Conversely, they're very protective of the oil refinery Assad lets them have.

If somebody were to offer them the world cup, they'd probably take it. If any of their neighbours got it, they'd probably start launching raids to find and murder as many construction workers as they could.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Antti posted:

He's a rich old white man. He'll get a doctor to cite some health reasons and he'll get the Berlusconi treatment.

It's still a marked improvement to what I was expecting a week ago, to be fair.
The U.S. justice system, especially with RICO involved, gives zero fucks about an old person's health in their ability to stand trial or serve prison sentences.

The U.S. also gives zero fucks about rich foreigners. If anything, it gives negative fucks, because prosecuting them gives the appearance that the rich aren't above the law, while not actually having to go after the American rich.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Inferior Third Season posted:

The U.S. justice system, especially with RICO involved, gives zero fucks about an old person's health in their ability to stand trial or serve prison sentences.

The U.S. also gives zero fucks about rich foreigners. If anything, it gives negative fucks, because prosecuting them gives the appearance that the rich aren't above the law, while not actually having to go after the American rich.

This so very hard. RICO is the DoJ stating that rich old men will be tried as poor minorities. It also was pretty much an admission they were gunning from Blatter from the beginning, they just didn't have enough solid evidence on him. Meanwhile they did have solid evidence on the people they grabbed at first and could lean on them to make them squeal, which meant they could bring in more, lean on them, and so forth until they had a water-tight case against Blatter. It was hilarious watching Blatter take so long to figure out that he was hosed.

Meanwhile, could Warner be any more hilarious? He went from blatantly lying to get bail early to go party, i.e. totally a rich thing to do, to running around in panic. The best thing is he's making these "I'm gonna squeal" statements publicly instead of going to the FBI or anyone else prosecuting FIFA. As soon as any pressure was put on him he just started melting and I can't wait to see how far it goes.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

CeeJee posted:

Qatar is pushing back on the numbers that 4,000 deaths in 1,5 million people in two years is normal. And as much as it pains me to agree with them they are correct. A similar number of US men between 20 and 40 would have more deaths from accidents, disease and suicide.

If you turn off your lights and say Reztilb Flow three times while staring into your bathroom mirror it exorcises the garbage spirit that's haunting you

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Orange Devil posted:

Deaths due to the Panama canal or the Suez canal are really bad and wrong, but at the end they did at least lead to lasting infrastructure with massive global benefits. Qatar is building some stadiums that will be used for like 3 weeks and then be abandoned. That poo poo is hardly worth a torn fingernail.

Also, the number of deaths in Panama dropped off significantly once they finally figured out that malaria is spread only by mosquitos and took measures to separate the mosquitos and the workers.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Jack Warner isn't just rolling on FIFA to the DOJ, he's doing it to the world. :allears:

Oh, and the FBI are now going after not only Qatar's world cup, but Russia's as well. :getin:

At this rate I don't think it would be unseasonable to demand that this gets played at the beginning of every soccer match in the world. :haw:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
How deep does this loving rabbit hole go?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Winner is Jew posted:

At this rate I don't think it would be unseasonable to demand that this gets played at the beginning of every soccer match in the world. :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17mJgQkZX9U

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Maybe we'll find out that Blatter really IS the President of everyone.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Well, maybe it's no coincidence that David Icke is a failed soccer player...

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
I'm not sure I get what's going on with the latest news the Guardian is breaking on this at their live blog here involving John Delaney and a payment of five million euros. It looks like it's just a settlement, but the Guardian is presenting it as being pretty nefarious.

e: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2015/0604/705872-delaney-confirm-fifa-payment-to-fai/

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

eviltastic posted:

I'm not sure I get what's going on with the latest news the Guardian is breaking on this at their live blog here involving John Delaney and a payment of five million euros. It looks like it's just a settlement, but the Guardian is presenting it as being pretty nefarious.

e: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2015/0604/705872-delaney-confirm-fifa-payment-to-fai/

Holy poo poo, if it comes out that sitting US congressmen are in on FIFA corruption, what could potentially happen to them? When they get around to picking up Blatter, if he's straight up able to say and prove "These sitting representatives/senators have been getting paid $X amount for Y amount of years", does this them boil over into RICO getting filed against sitting congressmen?

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Different John Delaney.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

DeathSandwich posted:

Holy poo poo, if it comes out that sitting US congressmen are in on FIFA corruption, what could potentially happen to them? When they get around to picking up Blatter, if he's straight up able to say and prove "These sitting representatives/senators have been getting paid $X amount for Y amount of years", does this them boil over into RICO getting filed against sitting congressmen?

Corruption and bribery are felonies so yes they can be charged and arrested if Blatter has dirt on them accepting payments and they will absolutely serve time for that poo poo.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

SgtScruffy posted:

Part of me is worried super loving excited that somehow, all of the FIFA execs are going to start talking, and this thing is going to spawn revelations that no one expected and have huge over-the-top ramifications. Like, every elected european official has been bribed and every CEO of every major sponsor has been personally bribed. I know it won't be that crazy, but imagine the chaos of every few days, a new elected official or board member getting arrested :getin:

This is a pretty accurate description of what a huge clusterfuck of corruption FIFA really is. I wouldn't be surprised, not one bit.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

eviltastic posted:

Different John Delaney.

Way to squash my dreams.

Also way for me to not actually read the article linked before I posted.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

A Winner is Jew posted:

Corruption and bribery are felonies so yes they can be charged and arrested if Blatter has dirt on them accepting payments and they will absolutely serve time for that poo poo.

Money is speech, I and hear very well.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

eviltastic posted:

Now that I actually read the article, I tried googling "Thierry Henry handball" and basically just got linked back to these breaking stories. What was actually involved with this handball case? Was the FAI taking FIFA to court to get Ireland in the world cup instead of France due to referee miscall or something?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

eviltastic posted:

Actually it was "not to proceed with a legal case’". I don't get it, is the FIFA so scared of video referees that a case were they could be sued so bad they could end up being forced to finally use them justify spending 5 millions in bribes? Note that i am french and i thought the Irish were robbed.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Bip Roberts posted:

Are the 4000 deaths from workers on the stadium projects or from labor in Qatar in general?

Labor in general, it's a bullshit statistic to apply to the World Cup.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

DeathSandwich posted:

Way to squash my dreams.

Also way for me to not actually read the article linked before I posted.

Well, in retrospect I phrased that like clickbait and should've quoted some of the article. I wasn't even thinking about the US politician.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

DeathSandwich posted:

That's kind of the only thing that can undermine this. If suddenly during all the corruption and evidence etc, several influential European leaders are implicated and mysteriously, the cooperation with the US stops, in addition within the DoJ, "priorities shift" and suddenly Blatter is no longer a concern, or super :tinfoil: Obama mysteriously pardons a few people in his last few months of office.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The IRS investigation of the FIFA guy linked up with an FBI investigation of the Russian mafia. Very deep, probably, and there are already allegations that FIFA was rigging national elections in Trinidad.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Cythereal posted:

The IRS investigation of the FIFA guy linked up with an FBI investigation of the Russian mafia. Very deep, probably, and there are already allegations that FIFA was rigging national elections in Trinidad.

Reminder that the last one came from a dude who used an Onion article to defend himself.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Reminder that the last one came from a dude who used an Onion article to defend himself.

He's also thinking people are coming to kill him. If this rabbit hole does go to rigging elections and the Russian mob as mentioned above them I absolutely believe his life is in mortal danger.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

DeathSandwich posted:

He's also thinking people are coming to kill him. If this rabbit hole does go to rigging elections and the Russian mob as mentioned above them I absolutely believe his life is in mortal danger.

I don't think the Russian mafia is that big of a stretch. Rigging an entire election in T/T seems a bit much.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
He could be preparing an Insanity plea.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Or he could be so out of touch with the world that he really thinks his underlings did try to rig elections, when in reality they just pocketed the funds like proper FIFA management and told their boss "Yeah, we totally rigged those like you asked" when the results came out.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I don't think the Russian mafia is that big of a stretch. Rigging an entire election in T/T seems a bit much.

I don't see why FIFA would want to rig an election in T/T.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Vladimir Putin posted:

Jack Warner would want to rig an election in T/T.

And why don't you tell us why the Russian Mafia wants to rig an election in T/T, Vladimir Putin

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Vladimir Putin posted:

Me either. Like I totally get them getting in bed with the Russian Mafia as part of a kickback deal re: Russia 2018, but what do they gain from controlling the government of a small commonwealth nation in the Caribbean?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
They rigged it in exchange for Trinidad's FIFA vote? Warner's not exactly making a lot of sense these days, though.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Xandu posted:

They rigged it in exchange for Trinidad's FIFA vote? Warner's not exactly making a lot of sense these days, though.
It seems....unlikely.

I'd be surprised if he was telling the truth...but only a little.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Here's another question. How in the hell is it legit for IRE to sue FIFA for a blown call on the field? I'm only asking because FIFA payed IRE 5million euros not to sue.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Jack Warner is truly insane but I don't see why it's out of the realm for a bunch of extremely rich and powerful sports men to try their hand at rigging an election. Greed and an aura of invincibility is a hell of a drug.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

nachos posted:

Jack Warner is truly insane but I don't see why it's out of the realm for a bunch of extremely rich and powerful sports men to try their hand at rigging an election. Greed and an aura of invincibility is a hell of a drug.

Well maybe in a vague sense by funneling a bunch of bribe money one way or something like that.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
To be fair, though, we're talking about the elections for Trinidad, a country with a population of 1,223,916 according to Wikipedia. That's like a moderate-sized city. And not the rich American or European city, either. I really can't imagine we're talking about vast sums of money here--a few million here and there should do it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

A Winner is Jew posted:

Jack Warner isn't just rolling on FIFA to the DOJ, he's doing it to the world. :allears:

Oh, and the FBI are now going after not only Qatar's world cup, but Russia's as well. :getin:

"It is very difficult for some to digest that an Arab Islamic country has this tournament, as if this right can't be for an Arab state," he told Reuters in an interview in Paris. "I believe it is because of prejudice and racism that we have this bashing campaign against Qatar."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Toplowtech posted:

"If you go to jail and lose all your money, who will take care of your cats, mister Blazer?"

I hope they'll be okay. It's always the innocent victims who suffer worst. :ohdear:

• Locked thread